Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:19   #76
BHPian

Race for the top 3..

Now that Maruti has addressed the major issues of the outgoing Wagon R, it has ensured that the car stays in the race for the top 3 in the 'B' segment . And I am sure, the company would introduce the LPG variant soon.May be the LPG tank size might be reduced to fit in the small boot.
So now, there would be a fight for the top 3 in the 'B' segment, among the same players, viz.the Wagon R, i10, and the Santro.
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:28   #77
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review Eddy. This seems to be a decent upgrade from MUL, instead of its usual "cosmetic touch up" upgrades.

With the claimed FE and MUL service network this one is gonna sell, especially in urban India.
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:46   #78
BHPian

Very Nice review Eddy. The underseat storage seems to be a good touch.But need to see in long term if it cause more rattles.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review,

this is a good car for first timers with an intention of city ride. Take it out on a highway like NH17 and you will need a sharp sense detection to ensure that this doesnt roll plus you need prayers to keep it on road.

Space as usual is ample, the outgoing models seats however were not that great. more than 2 hours would give a lot of pain in your thighs and back.

Looks are better now. Overall its a great VFM city ride.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:57   #80
BHPian

hi guys

Note from Mod : Do NOT use external picture hosts on Team-BHP. You MUST upload pictures to the Team-BHP Server itself. The Photo in your post has been re-uploaded via our attachment system.

Please view our rules before proceeding any further.

This is by far the best WagonR in terms of looks. they've made it look somewhat like the Scion Xb. i've pasted the pic of the scion here just for comparision sake. this is much more pleasing to the eyes

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-137445.jpg

the currently model looks a lot more planted to the road unlike the older model which is much narrower. probably 165mm tyres with alloys wud look much more pleasing by placing the car on a much more wider stance

Last edited by GTO : 24th April 2010 at 12:25.
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:00   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Is it ORVM Controls? if so whether is electrically fold too ?
Yes. Those are ORVM controls. I do not think electric fold option is there, as in the i20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman18 View Post
USB in the ICE. Good feature. Hope they will include it in ICE given in Dzire
In fact, feature by feature- they have tried to match the VFM Beat IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Take it out on a highway like NH17 and you will need a sharp sense detection to ensure that this doesnt roll plus you need prayers to keep it on road.
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:01   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review and to the point Eddy.

Yes, the Waggy has been averaging 10k every month and the buyers are those who have looked for Practicality and VFM over looks which had seldom mattered. (Me Included)

It so happened that way back in 2006 while upgrading from my Alto STD to a WagonR Lxi, Myself and my co-passenger on long drives (Dad) went to TD the Swift, Getz, Waggy and the Santro as I was looking for a good headroom and visibility with AC and Power Steering & moreover, since I was 6' 3" myself!

Then, Swift and Getz (loved the gearbox) were a little above my budget and it could be either the Santro or the Wagon-R now.

I liked the Santro but fell in love with the Waggy for a few things like the 60:40 reclining rear seats, lots of space in the dash here and there & non curvacious boot to stack luggage and still be able to shut the boot door without a fuss. Overall to me, the Waggy always seemed practical as many have put and that was my Need. Period!!

I have shifted house twice which made me realize that amazing space it offered after folding the rear seats and have even transported unseasoned wood (Wet) for home furniture weighing ~ 400 Kilos from Kadur (Chikmagalur District) to Bangalore. Though the car could accomodate the wooden pieces with ease, the weight ensured that the Waggy was being tested tremendously. I could only imagine an OMNI in such a case but Waggy with 64Bhp was worth the risk and I could still cruise at 80Kmph safely. When my wifey along with my Parents make frequent trips to Belur with lesser luggage, the rear reclining seats came in as a boon offering excellent comfort the rear seat passengers.

Today, the WagonR has grown over me and my wife still thinks that the rear of the Santro resembles a Frog! No offence again but it is also her POV!

We own a Chevy Sparky too but if we have an Airport Pick-up/Drop we prefer the Wagon-R for the obvious boot space that it offers (Will be missing it now). Hence, Girls will surely run away from the Blue Eyed boy but it is only boys who understand the need will realise the worth. (One reason why better looks ensured that Spark was chosen as the second car in my family). Hence, with 4 adults and luggage we still prefer the Waggy over the Sparky.

All my Bangalore-Pune-Bangalore drives have been on a WagonR only because it can store luggage worth 4 adults without a noise.

Nevertheless, MSIL has played a smarter game this time by ensuring a good rear leg room (Headroom was never a complaint) while compromising on the luggage space. Critically & the obviously rejected interiors today have a much better feel (if not the best), look at par & have loads of utility offerings.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd April 2010 at 23:06.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:08   #83
Senior - BHPian

I am now convinced that Chevvy Beat is a much better buy. The ARAI fuel efficiency rating is almost the same but I am very sure that in real world driving conditions Beat will turn out to be more efficient especially on the highways where the 1.o litre engine under the hood of the new WagonR will have to work much harder and it will require a downshift or two within the city too because of the poor low end torque.
That apart, the Beat is most definitely better built and looks infinitely better too.
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:09   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Take it out on a highway like NH17 and you will need a sharp sense detection to ensure that this doesnt roll plus you need prayers to keep it on road.
Before I sold my Wagon-R, it clocked 40k kms in 3 years, and 80% out of 40k kms was on highways, including trips to many hilly stations. I never offered prayers to keep the baby on the road.
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:18   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Excellent Review,

Right said but why just NH 17? NH 48 (Sakleshpur- BC road), NH 4 (Tawandi & Khambhatki Ghats), Samse - Kuduremukha - Bajagoli stretch, Kottigehara - Ujire, Gundlupet - Waynad are good enough to realise the bodyroll too. I've driven them all realising the terrain and roads and never prayed to successfully pass the curve without an under/oversteer. Instead of applying brakes at reasonable speeds, I applied common sense and always drove slow and cautiously at such instances.

I wonder why the roll factor is so much in consideration when it is a simple fact that Tallboys (Mind you, this is taller than its competitors) do exhibit a bit/more of Body roll. Just Imagine a Tallboy which is a "Driver's car" ?? So why not realise the fact that the behaviour is quite expected and adapt to driving accordingly? The body roll factor hasnt been life threatening that I have heard/read incidents of a Waggy Topple freqnently!!

It is better that the driver/Owner realised the fact that it is a tallboy and it hints at bodyroll on roads where sedans or the driver's car are no match to this hatch.

When I take my Waggy over the highways, I realise its capabilities and drive and am cautious where I always know that it is going to be a risky affair. Yet, I never have regrets for reaching 10-15 minutes late.

Mine has clocked 107000 today in 4 years and that comprises most of highway drives over various highways.

The only instance where I literally shivered was when I negotiated that Infamous curve on the Tawandi Ghat on NH4 for the first time in the night. Felt like its gonna topple was I was doing 90-100kmph but realised later that this was the same place where the KSRTC Volvo had toppled too. Never prayed while negotiating either, just kept my cool, never hard braked, held the wheel and slowed down gradually much within the shoulder marking of the ghat!

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd April 2010 at 23:31.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:39   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Apart from the Maruti tag, I dont see any reason why anyone would go for the new Wagon R when you already have Beat in the market. It looks better, has better engine which more refined and powerful and gives out almost the same efficiency, has better quality interiors and more equipments and costs almost the same.

Dissapointed by the choice of engine. The Detuned 1.2 litre K series engine according to me would have been a better choice.

I quite agree.
I am exstremely disappointed with the choice of engine.
Looks like I'll be hanging on to my old Wagon R for a while!!!

SS
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:47   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am now convinced that Chevvy Beat is a much better buy.
Beat is defenitly a better buy for style conscious. Should offer better build and driveability as well.

WagonR will appeal better to families. It has loads more space compared to Beat. Rear has much more room and is not claustrophobic. The visibility all around would also be much better making it easier to drive in the city.

Also, unlike before, it even matches the beat on price and equipment levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
I never offered prayers to keep the baby on the road.
Old 24th April 2010, 00:06   #88
SCH
BHPian

Alsono fun reading again and again the debate of 1.0 to 1.2 engine. If the 1.0 engine was so bad then why would Maruti produce it. This is a city hatch and the target buyers of this segment have FE as the prime concern. Infact the comparison of Wagon R should be with i 10 and Santro. The very fact the members are comparing it to Beat and Figo suggest the scoop maruti has taken out in terms of the pricing of the Wagon R. I think the comparison of Beat and Figo should be with Ritz and Swift. let us keep the comparison of Wagon R with i 10, santro and spark, otherwise it seems members are just passing same comments just for the heck of wanting to say something.

I do not want to annoy anybody but this is my humble opinion.

Last edited by GTO : 24th April 2010 at 12:28. Reason: Please be polite and appreciate someone's contribution to the forum. Removing first 3 lines that may be viewed as offensive.
Old 24th April 2010, 00:18   #89
BHPian

I personally feel the competitors for the new wagonR will not be the old ones like Santro and all. Here when I see the new and the old together, I feel the new ones are bigger and it can be compared with some other vehicles like Beat, Getz etc.

Hope the same cautious Indian customer will resist first and then will start loving the new comer from MUL This is what happened to the very first Zen, Alto and yes the SWIFT. Now these are selling easily.
Old 24th April 2010, 01:20   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
The very fact the members are comparing it to Beat and Figo suggest the scoop maruti has taken out in terms of the pricing of the Wagon R. I think the comparison of Beat and Figo should be with Ritz and Swift.
I think the new WagonR goes head on against the Beat! Here is why-

1. Prices are comparable, so are features.
2. Dimensions are comparable. Beat is slightly bigger on the outside, but WagonR has more interior space and wheelbase.

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-wagonr2.jpg

I believe these 2 factors are considered most when comparing segments. Engine size alone doesnt make Beat belong to another segment!

Figo however, is a bigger vehicle overall compared to both these cars, and hasn't been really compared here in the threads. It has a slightly higher price tag compared to the other two as well. As for the Santro, the top-end versions have been discontinued. It doesnt really have a loaded version anymore comparable to WagonR VXi/ Beat LT.

Also, i dont understand your logic that i10 should be compared and not beat, when those 2 are direct competitors. Infact, i10 is the more expensive of the two.

Most Viewed