Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 15:43   #211
BHPian

Quote:

8) Btw, there is a lot of free space between the engine and the grille( i guess Eddy's picture explains it)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/137420.jpg
Confirms my suspicion, The increase in car length has really gone into the Engine Bay area and Passenger cabin Leg room expansion has eaten up the Good Old Boot Area.

Reduction in Boot gives me all the more reason to reccomend the Figo and Beat instead of this car, nevertheless I agree this car should be a hit in Mid-age and elderly people because of Ingress/ Egress and improvement in comfort levels on seats.

Last edited by anu21v : 27th April 2010 at 15:55.
Old 27th April 2010, 15:53   #212
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Confirms my suspicion, The increase in car length has really gone into the Engine Bay area
May be, but that will add the safety aspect of the car, right? Experts, is it the 'crumble zone'?

BTW, saw the car in flesh in Khivraj. And it looks really good, I must say. The previous one's 'old age' looks have gone, and this one has a modern feeling associated with it, IMO. The bonnet has raised a bit, and that gives it a 'car look' than the previous one.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:04   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Confirms my suspicion, The increase in car length has really gone into the Engine Bay area and Passenger cabin Leg room expansion has eaten up the Good Old Boot Area.

Reduction in Boot gives me all the more reason to reccomend the Figo and Beat instead of this car nevertheless, I agree this car should be a hit in Mid-age and elderly people because of Ingress/ Egress.
Recommending the BEAT because boot space is less in wagonR! Did you see a beat till now ?

BTW have you been reading the Petrol FIGO ownership review threads ? Some are getting 10.5Km/l in city driving. For a small car with a 1.2 L engine i think that is very bad FE. Seeing how the government is hinting at a price increase of about Rs.7 per litre of petrol, the present petrol FIGO owners will surely be a worried lot.

By saying the wagonR will be a hit only with the middle aged and elderly are you suggesting that the FIGO and BEAt are aimed at the 20 something unmarried single person. Wont the average young guy or women also be bothered about comfort and FE along with looks and driving pleasure?
Old 27th April 2010, 16:04   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
May be, but that will add the safety aspect of the car, right? Experts, is it the 'crumble zone'?

BTW, saw the car in flesh in Khivraj. And it looks really good, I must say. The previous one's 'old age' looks have gone, and this one has a modern feeling associated with it, IMO. The bonnet has raised a bit, and that gives it a 'car look' than the previous one.
Well, being a professional, I liked the First Gen WagonR looks, which always seemed stating "underpromise but overdeliver" which is why the Professional's car Tag was absolutely spot on that car.

Quote:
Recommending the BEAT because boot space is less in wagonR! Did you see a beat till now ?
Well,,, I have driven and find it really good. I am no expert on engines but the overall drivebility and comfort was really good. The only issues that i saw was The Dash Board Height/Driver seat adjuster and the small Boot space.

Now that Boot space becomes coparable in other alternatives, beat is looking like a superior package to me.

Last edited by anu21v : 27th April 2010 at 16:10.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:28   #215
BHPian

Quote:

Well,,, I have driven and find it really good. I am no expert on engines but the overall drivebility and comfort was really good. The only issues that i saw was The Dash Board Height/Driver seat adjuster and the small Boot space.

Now that Boot space becomes coparable in other alternatives, beat is looking like a superior package to me.
Seeing how boot space is now comparable , the wagon R beats the Beat in both driveability( very lethargic engine in 2,3 gears in beat which is bad for city driving) and overall visibility ( from safety point of view)!

Beat has a more comfortable back seat but feels very closed in because of small rear windshield and windows.

Ofcourse the Beat looks really cool from the outside and has a claimed FE of 18 ( almost the same as WagonR) and also is a better highway car.
Old 27th April 2010, 23:14   #216
BHPian

Today I had been to RNS motors Bangalore. They have a demo car for test drive. But sales person told me that it is not registered yet, hence can't be given for test drive. Of course he said he will call me as soon as the car is registered.

I am planning to buy this car and this will be my first car. Usage is mostly city driving and once or twice in a month long drive (600 to 800 KM).

I need suggestions from the BHPians as I have very minimal knowledge on cars. Below are the questions in my mind.

1. I am planning VXi with ABS and AirBags. The on road prise would be 4,98,000 Rs (5 laks). Is it worth spending 5 laks for this car. (I need ABS as I go for long drives often)

2. Swift VXi with ABS would cost around 5.6 lks (1.2 ltr K Series engine). But waiting period is 4 months. Is this a better buy than WagonR since it has more powerful engine and Swift as every body knows a great looking car with good interior space and excellent aerodynamics. It is just 60 k costlier than WagonR.

I want to buy only Maruti (I am not against other brands). I am looking for a decent FE and low maintenance.

Experts, please advice.
Old 28th April 2010, 00:12   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarKumar View Post
Today I had been to RNS motors Bangalore. They have a demo car for test drive. But sales person told me that it is not registered yet, hence can't be given for test drive. Of course he said he will call me as soon as the car is registered.

I am planning to buy this car and this will be my first car. Usage is mostly city driving and once or twice in a month long drive (600 to 800 KM).

I need suggestions from the BHPians as I have very minimal knowledge on cars. Below are the questions in my mind.

1. I am planning VXi with ABS and AirBags. The on road prise would be 4,98,000 Rs (5 laks). Is it worth spending 5 laks for this car. (I need ABS as I go for long drives often)

2. Swift VXi with ABS would cost around 5.6 lks (1.2 ltr K Series engine). But waiting period is 4 months. Is this a better buy than WagonR since it has more powerful engine and Swift as every body knows a great looking car with good interior space and excellent aerodynamics. It is just 60 k costlier than WagonR.

I want to buy only Maruti (I am not against other brands). I am looking for a decent FE and low maintenance.

Experts, please advice.
Bhaskar, from your post above, why do I get the impression that you're already sold on the idea of buying Swift Vxi.

Anyhow while you say that this will be your first car... I am assuming that you are adept at driving. I suggest you test drive both the cars over a long distance( not your standard 500 mtrs), preferably one after the other to get a real good idea of what you like/dislike about either. If you are looking for ample space (front & rear), ride comfort / seating /stance, I would suggest Wagon R (even more so with the newly launched Wagon R), though the engine in the new WagonR is still suspect (atleast in my book!) and you might not enjoy it as much on the highway. On the other hand, Swift is a more powerful beast altogeather, excellent for city driving and pretty good for highways, space is an issue with this car (esp with rear seat). The ride/comfort would be just a notch below Wagon R, bearing in mind the long distances that you look to travel.

On the FE front both car will deliver 13-15 kms within city driving and near about 18 km/ltr on the highway. Not much of a differentiator !

A.S.S - Since both are Maruti, either would be dirt cheap to maintain esp over the first 3-4 yrs of ownership.

If you are looking to go travel long distances with 4-5 people in the car, I would pick Swift purely on engine power.(isn't that scarilegious on a dedicated Wagon R thread ?)

- B4W

PS - Try not complicating the decision making by evaluating the two cars on too many parameters.

Last edited by better4worse : 28th April 2010 at 00:21.
Old 28th April 2010, 02:07   #218
Team-BHP Support

Autocarindia first drive verdict-
(Now this is going to raise quite a lot of eyebrows! )

"Practicality and easy-to-drive nature make the WagonR India's best city car!"
Old 28th April 2010, 07:42   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Experts, please advice.
Why dont you consider Ritz ? Ritz is almost as good as Swift. Swift is more fun to drive, but Ritz has got better ride quality for city driving, is more space efficient too.

Out of wagon R and Swift, I would suggest Swift if you can afford it. But also consider Ritz before purchasing any car.
Old 28th April 2010, 07:54   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarKumar
Since you go out on highway long drives, along with ABS having airbag is a boon. Do you have pricelist of different variants of Wagon-R @ Bangalore. Could you kindly post same!

OT:

Swift VXi (ABS) has 4 months waiting period at Bangalore! its like booking in April end getting in August end
Please check with other dealers in Bangalore as well!

Guys,
what is the waiting period quoted in other cities for same?

Last edited by recshenoy : 28th April 2010 at 08:04.
Old 28th April 2010, 08:58   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Swift VXi (ABS) has 4 months waiting period at Bangalore! its like booking in April end getting in August end

Guys,
My friend was looking for a car and waiting period for Swift Vxi ABS as quoted by FortPoint Thane is 4-5 months, for Zxi they were quoting 6 months. My friend is now planning for FIGO or Punto.
Old 28th April 2010, 09:55   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First of all, it would be better if you start a new thread to decide which car to buy. Let us not get OT on this thread.

Seeing your requirements, I would suggest Ritz. Ritz combines the plus points of both WagonR and Swift. Also, there is a huge cash discount (33K) on Ritz.

Rohan
Old 28th April 2010, 10:22   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
Bhaskar, from your post above, why do I get the impression that you're already sold on the idea of buying Swift Vxi.

Anyhow while you say that this will be your first car... I am assuming that you are adept at driving. I suggest you test drive both the cars over a long distance( not your standard 500 mtrs), preferably one after the other to get a real good idea of what you like/dislike about either. If you are looking for ample space (front & rear), ride comfort / seating /stance, I would suggest Wagon R (even more so with the newly launched Wagon R), though the engine in the new WagonR is still suspect (atleast in my book!) and you might not enjoy it as much on the highway. On the other hand, Swift is a more powerful beast altogeather, excellent for city driving and pretty good for highways, space is an issue with this car (esp with rear seat). The ride/comfort would be just a notch below Wagon R, bearing in mind the long distances that you look to travel.

On the FE front both car will deliver 13-15 kms within city driving and near about 18 km/ltr on the highway. Not much of a differentiator !

A.S.S - Since both are Maruti, either would be dirt cheap to maintain esp over the first 3-4 yrs of ownership.

If you are looking to go travel long distances with 4-5 people in the car, I would pick Swift purely on engine power.(isn't that scarilegious on a dedicated Wagon R thread ?)

- B4W

PS - Try not complicating the decision making by evaluating the two cars on too many parameters.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. You are right. I was comparing these two cars in and out. Will zero on one soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Why dont you consider Ritz ? Ritz is almost as good as Swift. Swift is more fun to drive, but Ritz has got better ride quality for city driving, is more space efficient too.

Out of wagon R and Swift, I would suggest Swift if you can afford it. But also consider Ritz before purchasing any car.
Hi. My Dad is already driving Ritz ZXI at my hometown. So want a different car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Since you go out on highway long drives, along with ABS having airbag is a boon. Do you have pricelist of different variants of Wagon-R @ Bangalore. Could you kindly post same!

OT:

Guys,
WagonR Bangalore prise list

LX: 4,02,308 (NM) - 4,06,050 (M)
LXI: 4,31,318 (NM) - 4,35,063 (M)
VXI: 4,58,635 (NM) - 4,62,317 (M)
VXI (ABS and Airbags): 4,94,986 (NM) - 4,98,728 (M)

NM: Non-Metallic
M: Metallic

I called up other dealers. Same reply. To my surprise Mondovi said 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
First of all, it would be better if you start a new thread to decide which car to buy. Let us not get OT on this thread.

Seeing your requirements, I would suggest Ritz. Ritz combines the plus points of both WagonR and Swift. Also, there is a huge cash discount (33K) on Ritz.

Rohan
Sorry to post the question here. I will start a new thread.

Already have a Ritz at my hometown. My Dad owns it. It definitely a good car. I want a different car.

Last edited by BhaskarKumar : 28th April 2010 at 10:25.
Old 28th April 2010, 10:26   #224
Senior - BHPian

went to indus motors cochin for the second time today. they still dont have a car for test drive.
Old 28th April 2010, 12:07   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Rohan
33k is not a cash discount. For the normal buyer the discount is only 15,000.
That makes the OTR of WagonR VXI(Highest trim)and Ritx Lxi(Lowest trim) equal.
33k is including loyalty bonus(if you already own a maruti)+ Exchange bonus + Corporate discount (If you are in a listed IT company/ Government employed doctor) + Cash discount (15000)!

Since Ritz is an older car you might get freebies like paint protection,seat covers,sunfilm etc if you bargain hard whereas in a WagonR all you might get are mudflaps and mats, the cost of which is usually added in your registration and handling charge.

@ BhaskarKumar I think the new WagonR is a good VFM buy if you are ready to ignore its looks and compromise a little on the interior fit and finish quality.

Will most probably be doing a test drive today or tomm . Will try to update you with my feedback after the TD .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks