Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 18:24   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
An example of how we see things vs how the potential buyer sees things. We....

concerned.
My exact experience when i interact with non petrol head buyers! this manager at our company has called me several times and asked me same question again and again. what is the FE of Wagonr-R compared to Santro. Which has better A.S.S! is wagon-r stable at high speed since it looks little narrow? (he is not even a L board yet)

After telling same thing over and again, i stopped attending his calls! He was not even ready to consider anything other than Maruti or Hyundai. When i told how about Beat or Figo, no no i want only Maruti or Hyundai

Last edited by recshenoy : 14th May 2010 at 18:26.
Old 14th May 2010, 18:29   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
@ Eddy, considering that I will be going in for a basic variant of WagonR say LXi, how would you rate it against similar spec. Spark? I'm looking 1 for my sis.
Both are proven and excellent cars.

Political answers out of the way, I would have bought the WagonR if I were you. But please make your sister take a test drive of both cars before deciding.
Old 14th May 2010, 19:26   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Both are proven and excellent cars.

Political answers out of the way, I would have bought the WagonR if I were you. But please make your sister take a test drive of both cars before deciding.
Thanks Eddy. Yeah she took test drive of both and she said both are the same The only difference she noticed was WagonR is more boxier then Spark and the headroom in WagonR is a waste for her height!!! She said no to Alto cause it looks too old, less space and its common.

I suggested her Spark as this will be her 1st car and will have peace of mind for 3 years, its cheaper then WagonR and at 3.6Lacs (On Road) packs more basic equipments then WagonR.

Last edited by HammerHead : 14th May 2010 at 19:28.
Old 14th May 2010, 19:48   #304
SCH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Thanks Eddy. Yeah she took test drive of both and she said both are the same The only difference she noticed was WagonR is more boxier then Spark and the headroom in WagonR is a waste for her height!!! She said no to Alto cause it looks too old, less space and its common.

I suggested her Spark as this will be her 1st car and will have peace of mind for 3 years, its cheaper then WagonR and at 3.6Lacs (On Road) packs more basic equipments then WagonR.

If she found both the cars same, then she should go for the Wagon R as it has a better and newer K10 engine compared to Spark. Also the Maruti Service network is better to GM. My uncle who has a UVA had a torrid time with the GM Service as the service station was unable to arrangea scanner as the air filter had gone faulty and it also took them considerable time to arrange the air sensor.

Last edited by SCH : 14th May 2010 at 19:50.
Old 14th May 2010, 19:49   #305
Team-BHP Support

Great that she is ok with both. In my case, wife found the spark's dashboard / central console to be a little too high leading to lesser visibility.

Peace of mind for three years in case of Spark is indeed a big plus. However, I was thinking more in terms of longevity and resale. I am happy with Maruti's service, and having a not so good experience with the other American car (Ford Ikon) has also made me think Indian / Japanese way. Hence my take.

That said, she cannot go wrong with the Spark. It is, after all, a very nice feminine car IMO.

Its a choice between playing safe, and being a little adventurous.

Last edited by Eddy : 14th May 2010 at 19:53.
Old 14th May 2010, 20:35   #306
Senior - BHPian

^^ Well I did consider resale value before suggesting her Spark. IMO at max Spark will fetch 30-40K less then similar spec. WagonR, which is fine considering WagonR is expensive by same margin. And moreover she is not worried about resale before even buying it.

Sparc LS + HU + Speakers + Central Locking = 3.6lacs on road (after discount) where as WagonR LXi Ex.Show = 3.62lacs which will be 4L+ on-road after adding HU+Speakers+Taxes+Insurance.

She has a strict budget of anything less then 4L with basic stuff like central locking, Music System, front power windows and body colored bumpers and yeah a decent boot as she is shopping freak!!!

As far as A.S.S is considered, I haven't personally experienced it neither she has. I personally don't think its bad as couple of our family friends own one.

Last edited by HammerHead : 14th May 2010 at 20:40.
Old 15th May 2010, 14:19   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
@ Nut case - did u get your car? I was going through the initial reviews, couldn't find your thread. Planning to do a TD this weekend.
Yes ! have got the car. Took delivery on the 12th . Have been a little busy since am planning a road trip. Will come with a initial ownership report soon.

@Eddy , i find the second gear lacking in power below 20kmph when AC is on. You notice it when you have to slow down completely to negotiate a speed breaker. You have to either shift to 1st gear or give it more gas to which it responds very slowly and then shoots forward as revs build up. It is almost like a turbo lag in a diesel. The same is not there when AC is off.

Did you experience this lag. Is it my car or a problem with the new k10 engine. Also if any other owners are here , please respond with your observations.
Old 15th May 2010, 17:51   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
i find the second gear lacking in power below 20kmph when AC is on. You notice it when you have to slow down completely to negotiate a speed breaker. You have to either shift to 1st gear or give it more gas to which it responds very slowly and then shoots forward as revs build up. It is almost like a turbo lag in a diesel. The same is not there when AC is off.

Did you experience this lag. Is it my car or a problem with the new k10 engine. Also if any other owners are here , please respond with your observations.
I experienced something similar on the Ritz. I haven't tried with the A/c off so I don't know whether its a case of the aircon zapping the power. What happens is as you keep accelerating it hits a flat spot where suddenly the rate of acceleration becomes less(similar to turbo lag in diesel cars) and then after a while starts pulling all the way to glory.
Old 15th May 2010, 19:26   #309
Team-BHP Support

-NutCase-: No I didn't notice the lack of power to be so apparent. But yes, the low end response could have been better. But then, I drive a diesel so maybe was used to it ?
Old 15th May 2010, 23:24   #310
BHPian

Thanks for responding Longhorn and Eddy.

All the newer 1.2 and below engines suffer from this lack of low end grunt. The worst is the 1.2 of the Beat.

The 2 wagonR test vehicles i drove seemed to be better in second gear when compared to my car or maybe i am being a little over critical. Anyway will get it checked at first service.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:37   #311

Decision time

All at Team BHP

It is decision time for me and need your expert advise. I have been driving a Wagon R VX (March 2000 model) for the past 6 years. Bought it second hand from True value in 2004.
I am very happy with this car. Use it more for family outings, Outstation trips ( upto 650 Kms one way - say bangalore to goa) etc. It is just right for my Parking space and offers me good space efficiency (In terms of the space it offers inside the car vs the the space it occupies in the parking area). I have absolutely no issues or problems with the car.

Since this is already 10 years old, i am thinking of a change. The new Wagon-R has got me interested and it is very tempting for me to go for this new one. However one small confusion i have is about the new engine. Is the new K series 1 litre engine good enough for the new Wagon-R. Will there be a degradation in the on-road performance specifically as i have got used to the 1.1 liter one till date. I would have blindly gone and booked a new one if it was a 1.2 liter K-Series engine, But as what we are getting now is the 1 litre one, do you think i should go for this upgrade / Change. Please suggest.

Thanks
Old 17th May 2010, 13:02   #312
Team-BHP Support

Henry,

The overall experience of driving the new WagonR is definitely better that the previous generation. The 1 litre engine is slightly hing on NVH levels but certainly offers decent drive-ability within the city.

Since you've mentioned outstation trips with family, please note that the boot space in the new car is significantly lesser than the previous generation.

Other than this, nothing better than taking a family test drive
Old 17th May 2010, 13:50   #313

Hey Eddy

Thanks for the quick Clarification.

The boot space is newer enough for my Family. The shopping and packing continue till the space is completely used and i tell them that there is nothing more we can take. I am sure this is the case with other married people . I am forced to carry all kinds of things especially while returning back from my in-laws place - From gas cyclinders to pots to cereal bags to huge sized toys. The list newer ends.

On a serious note - I have a removable rear parcel tray that holds 2 oval speakers. (This was not standard and i did add it on to mount the speakers). This is normally the standard driving set-up. On special occassions like airport transfers i do remove the rear parcel shelf to accomodate a pair of Check-in baggages (Vertically placed) along with some minor bags.
When you say the space is less does it mean the depth between the Rear door and Back of rear seat has been reduced or is it because there is the standard rear parcel shelf included altready?

One more thing that i noticed during my visual check of the new Wagon-r is the slight increase in height of the dashboard. While seated on the drivers seat, i felt that the dashboard was slighlty raised when compared to the one i drive, Is this because of the Air bags??

regards
Old 17th May 2010, 14:21   #314
BHPian

@ Henry . I have bought the new wagonR. I feel the K10 is struggling to cope with the Ac load in low speeds/low rmp (10 kmph / in the range of 1000 rmp) in 1st and 2nd gears.

The boot space is reduced because they have pushed the back seat further back into the boot to give more leg room.

The higher dash seems to be a trend with all small cars nowadays (ecpet teh figo) but it shouldnt be a problem as visibility is good.

Checked the first mileage figures i was getting. Against a claimed mileage of 18.9 what i got was a shocker of 9.5 ( Full city BTB traffic with 100% Ac on). I was expecting 12-14 at the least. Might improve after first service.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:28   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryN View Post
Since this is already 10 years old, i am thinking of a change. The new Wagon-R has got me interested and it is very tempting for me to go for this new one.
Why don't you consider Ritz with K-Series engine instead of the same car again? or may be Swift 1.2?

Last edited by clevermax : 17th May 2010 at 14:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks