Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 01:56   #166
BHPian

A good review from CNBC Overdrive.

Old 26th April 2010, 10:41   #167

Wow! thats a great review Eddy! The WagonR looks better on the inside than the outside. I seriously think the previous generation WagonR looked better. But yes, glad to see the "more than just cosmetic" changes. I had a 2001 Wagon R and it served me really well. Glad to see that the brand is not dead and this will definitely provide a much needed boost.

The Middle - Class will find this as a boon! Well done again Maruti!
Old 26th April 2010, 10:57   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
The new Wagon R puts up a question. Has Maruti done enough good with this car or has it gone a step back wards?
Lets try to get the answer .
Going by the practical view, Maruti has done well in addressing the major flaws of the older generation Wagon R.The ample interior space, good seat comfort, improved gear shift quality,convenience and safety features and of course the VFM pricing all of them make it a decent and practical city car.
However look at this in a broader sense and one can say that Maruti has been unsuccessful in presenting any path breaking product. The engine is a noisy 3 cylinder, the design is evolutionary rather than revolutionary,the boot space is sacrificied, and the overall quality doesn't seem to be ahead of the competition.
Blame it on the R and D.With around Rs.290 crores at its disposal , surely the company could have done better.
Bingo bro. bang on.
Its the same thing I was trying to say in my earlier posts. 290 crores is a hell of a money and not bringing out a revolutionary product puts a huge question mark on how much justice they have given to the money spent.

I agree Wagon R was never bought on the looks, but come on guys, dont you agree to the point that in the current mkt scenario, we deserve good looks too.
Old 26th April 2010, 11:25   #169
BHPian

Glad to see so many new features in the WagonR and not to mention the K series engine. Makes it a sweet buy. I am disappointed on the external looks front and the main issue with the WagonR being the narrow cabin is still not resolved comprehensively.

The 290 crore budget somhow does not seem justified considering the engine was already in use on the A-star for a couple of years now.

It would be intersting to see the sales figures of the WagonR for the month of may. IMO, it will go down for some time. the consumer needs to time to digest the design.
Old 26th April 2010, 11:31   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall_gagan View Post
Bingo bro. bang on.
Its the same thing I was trying to say in my earlier posts. 290 crores is a hell of a money and not bringing out a revolutionary product puts a huge question mark on how much justice they have given to the money spent.

I agree Wagon R was never bought on the looks, but come on guys, dont you agree to the point that in the current mkt scenario, we deserve good looks too.
Here's what I think of the car:

a. The old WagonR looked better. Before anyone jumps for my throat:
  • The Wagon R is still a box, the older model was unashamedly so. It didn't try to meld a curvy front with a boxy rear. I specially hate the shape of the front bumper cutaways and the foglight receptacles.
  • The bonnet-line visible from the side is an eyesore, it also had iffy fit, because the gap is visibly more than most of the panels visible from the side.
  • The sloping roof, though it has a utility, seems like a forced decision to try and add stylistic details.
  • The rear chrome bar above the rear numberplate is hideous. It's roughly the same size as the Manza's.
b. Liked the fact that the gearbox is good now. That's a good move.
c. The reduced boot space is a bad thing, the Figo has a 100 litre advantage there, along with it being more spacious for 3 people in the rear seat, a better driver's car with superior ride and handling, better looks.

But still the Wagon R will be a success, people just love Maruti and fuel economy too much to pay the 5k difference for the better cars available.

Thanks for the great review Eddy, really appreciate it.
Amartya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2010, 11:41   #171
BANNED

New WagonR Onroad Prices at Hyderabad
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-2.jpg

Onroad prices of other Maruti cars
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-3.jpg
Old 26th April 2010, 11:50   #172
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i rather liked the full page ad for the new revamped WagonR which I saw in TOI this morning.

looks like it can be outstanding value for money - given the ABS and Airbags, its proven FE, the new K Series engine and its general practicality overall - apart from low maintenance, easy serviceability, maruti's reliability etc.

It may not be super impressive in the light of the options available now, but all in all it makes for a solid VFM head over heart choice for a regular person. Im sure Maruti will be able to "milk" this product platform for a considerable while longer.
Old 26th April 2010, 11:58   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i rather liked the full page ad for the new revamped WagonR which I saw in TOI this morning.

looks like it can be outstanding value for money - given the ABS and Airbags, its proven FE, the new K Series engine and its general practicality overall - apart from low maintenance, easy serviceability, maruti's reliability etc.

It may not be super impressive in the light of the options available now, but all in all it makes for a solid VFM head over heart choice for a regular person. Im sure Maruti will be able to "milk" this product platform for a considerable while longer.
BTW, in the same Ad, the price mentioned is an Introductory Price, so, do we see a price rise in coming days/weeks.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:17   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post

a. The old WagonR looked better. Before anyone jumps for my throat:
  • The Wagon R is still a box, the older model was unashamedly so. It didn't try to meld a curvy front with a boxy rear. I specially hate the shape of the front bumper cutaways and the foglight receptacles.
  • The bonnet-line visible from the side is an eyesore, it also had iffy fit, because the gap is visibly more than most of the panels visible from the side.
  • The sloping roof, though it has a utility, seems like a forced decision to try and add stylistic details.
  • The rear chrome bar above the rear numberplate is hideous. It's roughly the same size as the Manza's..
I absolutely agree with you there, I myself was looking to pen down the exact things that I dont like about the new Wagon R, think youve covered it pretty well here. I second you completely on this one.

I just don't like the way they have drawn out the car front/engine bay, so much so that it seems odd in the overall design flow (check out the side view to realize it). Even the front bumper is so far drawn out from the wheel well (again with reference to the side view) is. I really think my old Wagon R is much better looking and far more consistent and less quirky in design.

I really hope that MS stops tom-tomming about this 'whole Indian design team' delivering on Indian style quotient and requirements. They have been nigh awful in my book considering their 'body of work'. They started out with the new look Zen (last mods done to slow slung hatch, previous to Zen Estilo introduction), the car simply had no personality/presence. Then, I heard that the Indian design team is also responsible for 'Eeco' which is nearly the same as Verna, an absolute eye sore. I wouldn't put this effort (read the new WagonR) as terrible, but is surely nothing that any car design team would want to boast about.

-B4W

PS: Slightly , agreed we Indians love a bit of bling (read Chrome side strips, tail lights, front grill)) on our cars, but offlate its just too much for the eye. One reason that put me off the BEAT was the 'Jhatak' chrome effect all over the car. Quirky styling all right but the fact it was all overly accentuated with chrome, just killed it for me! It was almost as if you'd buy an 'item number' for a car, nothing classy about it.

Disclaimer: Before anyone beats me to death here and my posts get taken off the thread for no obvious reason, id like to say... " To each ..his own ! .........Peace ! "

Last edited by better4worse : 26th April 2010 at 12:22.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:50   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
...... design team is also responsible for 'Eeco' which is nearly the same as Verna, an absolute eye sore........
I meant MS 'Versa' there and not the Hyundai car, apologies for the incorrect reference.

MODS
: Please update the same as I am unable to edit it from my end and subsequently delete this post as well.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:58   #176
BHPian

Quote:
PS: Slightly , agreed we Indians love a bit of bling (read Chrome side strips, tail lights, front grill)) on our cars, but offlate its just too much for the eye. One reason that put me off the BEAT was the 'Jhatak' chrome effect all over the car. Quirky styling all right but the fact it was all overly accentuated with chrome, just killed it for me! It was almost as if you'd buy an 'item number' for a car, nothing classy about it.
Also I think there should be some separate dhinchak chrome variants of the cars and let the co's decorate it like bride with all chromes and jazz stuff
Old 26th April 2010, 13:08   #177
Senior - BHPian

New Wagonr Vxi will give some serious competition to the petrol figos now. Excellent value for money.
Seriously looks very nice compared to the older out going gen.
Old 26th April 2010, 13:08   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really think my old Wagon R is much better looking and far more consistent and less quirky in design.

I really hope that MS stops tom-tomming about this 'whole Indian design team' delivering on Indian style quotient and requirements. They have been nigh awful in my book considering their 'body of work'. They started out with the new look Zen (last mods done to slow slung hatch, previous to Zen Estilo introduction), the car simply had no personality/presence. Then, I heard that the Indian design team is also responsible for 'Eeco' which is nearly the same as Verna, an absolute eye sore. I wouldn't put this effort (read the new WagonR) as terrible, but is surely nothing that any car design team would want to boast about.

-B4W
Yes, I find the "tom-tomming" specially irritating, when the end result (like you mentioned) is nothing to write home about. Sometimes, I think Maruti just does a great job of convincing people (marketing ) about their new designs.
Old 26th April 2010, 13:26   #179
SCH
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I find the "tom-tomming" specially irritating, when the end result (like you mentioned) is nothing to write home about. Sometimes, I think Maruti just does a great job of convincing people (marketing ) about their new designs.
Quote:

a. The old WagonR looked better. Before anyone jumps for my throat:[list][*]The Wagon R is still a box, the older model was unashamedly so. It didn't try to meld a curvy front with a boxy rear. I specially hate the shape of the front bumper cutaways and the foglight receptacles.
First of all I would like to state that this is a"WAGON"with car like characteristics. I find certain comments from the members very loud. This is the tall boy design which is sold internationally. I think it is a VFM for the price conscious people, which are in a majority .... with the best FE figures of the lot available. For a city hatch where the speed limits are 50 km/hr I believe this is the best Value for Money Hatch.
Old 26th April 2010, 13:33   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
+ 1.

Lots of bling bling styling these days. Maruti (DZire especially), Chevy (Cruze + Beat), Hyundai (Verna and now sadly i20), Ford (Fiesta chrome mirrors) are all having a bit of a chrome over doze.

In case of beat, the rear styling is a 90% copy (unintentional, may be) of Santro Zip plus. Only main differentiating factor seems to be the chrome tail-lamps! Hence its ok IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks