Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:02   #256
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

it seems there is a dual color scheme applied to the steering. Or is it the pic angle effect?
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:47   #257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
Thats exactly how my 2010 Punto looked when it was delivered to me, much blacker than what it looks right now 3 months down the line. Its the polish (oil) thats been applied to the dash. Look closely where the dash ends on the driver side, you would notice the colour difference as there is some area (is not as dark) where it seems the polish has not been applied. I was at one of the dealers the other day to get a FIAT genuine antenna for my Punto, I just happened to notice the 90 HP and the interiors weren't any different. Frankly the plastics and the fit/finish are that of the 2010 Punto, I am pleasantly amused that folks find it good/better ! Frankly, I dont see any inconsistency here, the plastics are consistently ordinary and would remain the same for the entire batch, till someone at FIAT makes an effort to change something.
Just comparing it to the plastics of the car sid tested in the first post. Frankly i think my may '10 punto's interiors are about as good but the plastic isnt that black, which like you said is due to the polish and the flash on it.
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:03   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD
it looks like Fiat has "given up" on 1 hp in order to use the nice round 90hp number.
IMO, they might also want to be consistent with the usage on Manza too - saw a Manza today and it had the "Quadrajet 90" label, where the 90 indicates the power I would think.
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:44   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Just comparing it to the plastics of the car sid tested in the first post. Frankly i think my may '10 punto's interiors are about as good but the plastic isnt that black, which like you said is due to the polish and the flash on it.
Akshay, exactly my point! The plastics are of the same quality as you'd find in most of 2010 Punto's. Its a bit more shiny black because of the polish, its basically a piece of cloth dipped in some oil that is rubbed on the surface of the dashboard. The shine stays for a week or two depending on the usage of the surface or the sun drying it up. The oil tends to be a bit sticky in nature if over applied. This is not a Punto specific unique practice, even MS uses the same kind of oil to shine the dashboard on their cars. I have a Wagon R and recently got it serviced, mine was the last car to be delivered and the servicing folks were still applying the oil to the dashboard to make it shine some. Frankly, It doesn't clean as much as it makes the surface shine (gives you the shimmer from the wet look). Moreover, like you rightly pointed out, the shimmer is accentuated by the camera flash in this case.

So getting the dashboard to shine as much or look as black as what you see in the pic is the easy part, but it still doesn't change the overall quality of the plastic used.

As for the new stuff in sid's pic,its the silver lipping around the gear, I frankly hadn't noticed the same on the std Emo Pack. Was it always there in the higher trims?

Last edited by better4worse : 22nd July 2010 at 11:46.
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:54   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Akshay, exactly my point! The plastics are of the same quality as you'd find in most of 2010 Punto's. Its a bit more shiny black because of the polish, its basically a piece of cloth dipped in some oil that is rubbed on the surface of the dashboard. The shine stays for a week or two depending on the usage of the surface or the sun drying it up. The oil tends to be a bit sticky in nature if over applied. This is not a Punto specific unique practice, even MS uses the same kind of oil to shine the dashboard on their cars. I have a Wagon R and recently got it serviced, mine was the last car to be delivered and the servicing folks were still applying the oil to the dashboard to make it shine some. Frankly, It doesn't clean as much as it makes the surface shine (gives you the shimmer from the wet look). Moreover, like you rightly pointed out, the shimmer is accentuated by the camera flash in this case.

So getting the dashboard to shine as much or look as black as what you see in the pic is the easy part, but it still doesn't change the overall quality of the plastic used.

As for the new stuff in sid's pic,its the silver lipping around the gear, I frankly hadn't noticed the same on the std Emo Pack. Was it always there in the higher trims?
I used to get our old Indigo dashboard to shine with a dashboard polish thing available at all car accessory stores. Some big supermarkets also have them. Not sure what it is actually called, but it is a white liquid that does its job pretty well. It has a nice fragrance to it as well. Like you mentioned it lasts about a week or two depending on how much you keep wiping the dash.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:21   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
I know there's no T-Jet Punto. Just hoping for one. And the Fiat ad does not mention 'Punto Sports' anywhere. Just Punto 90 HP.
because this is not punto sports. Punto sports will be with same engine as 90hp, with 16" alloy and sun roof, wait till diwali to hear about that.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:27   #262
BHPian

Just spoke to Concorde Motors, Prabhadevi Punto 90hp is 7.83 OTR Mumbai. No discounts at the moment. Its a great deal even without peteing the engine it still would be pretty much VFM and still cheaper than i20.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:43   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Just spoke to Concorde Motors, Prabhadevi Punto 90hp is 7.83 OTR Mumbai. No discounts at the moment. Its a great deal even without peteing the engine it still would be pretty much VFM and still cheaper than i20.
Here in Cochin, 90HP is 7.50L OTR. No discounts of any sort. The FGT EP is 7.14L OTR. Discounts on FGT EP - free insurance (-18K), 12K corp discount, so the effective on-road price comes to ~6.84L OTR. Extended warranty and RSA free.

Opting for extended warranty+RSA on the 90HP Punto will push its cost further up to a premium of almost 75K over the FGT Punto. Is it really worh it?
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:51   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Akshay, exactly my point! The plastics are of the same quality as you'd find in most of 2010 Punto's.
Agreed but dosent it look better than the punto in the first post?
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:44   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Here in Cochin, 90HP is 7.50L OTR. No discounts of any sort. The FGT EP is 7.14L OTR. Discounts on FGT EP - free insurance (-18K), 12K corp discount, so the effective on-road price comes to ~6.84L OTR. Extended warranty and RSA free.

Opting for extended warranty+RSA on the 90HP Punto will push its cost further up to a premium of almost 75K over the FGT Punto. Is it really worh it?
How much extra you need to pay for the extended warranty? when I bought the FGT, it was just 4K.

And, why to pay for RSA? Fiat already has a program called "Fiat First" and that's free for all customers. The nearest dealership has to attend the car in a 100Kms radius or so.

(It worked 2 times for me)
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:53   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
How much extra you need to pay for the extended warranty? when I bought the FGT, it was just 4K.

And, why to pay for RSA? Fiat already has a program called "Fiat First" and that's free for all customers. The nearest dealership has to attend the car in a 100Kms radius or so.

My thoughts exactly Clever max, when we bought the Linea,Road side assistance came standard with the car and we had to pay 5K for an extended 2 yr warranty.

I cant figure out what the Premium of 75k mentioned by starry sky would be for? Definitely not for RSA + extended warranty I think.
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:34   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

What happened to your car these two times? Hope it didn't break down on you.
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:10   #268
BHPian

@sidindica

isn't the 90 bhp punto supposed to have white dials like the linea??

then how come they are black in the pic you have posted???

@mihirc & clevermax

i think what starrysky meant was the round about price difference between the 2 cars.
FGT is available with lots of freebies and discounts. VGT doesn't have anything yet. there is a price difference of about 35k on ex-showroom prices. the difference increases as discounts and freebies are available on FGT. making the net price difference between FGT and VGT in the range of 75k.

@all

another few pages change with no one answering my question

what i am wondering is isn't the VGT punto a bit over priced as compared to the FGT punto EP?
all the differences that i could make out were - chrome colored handles(linea), white dial speedo/odometer(linea), red stitched seats, 90 bhp logo at the back and ofcourse a different turbo. price difference is of about 34k. without discounts on FGT. add the discounts there will be a LOT of price difference between the two vehicles. considering the minor changes is it actually worth it?
my laura 2.0 costed mere 25k odd extra as compared to the 1.9 laura.

different engine = price increase of 25k
swapping the turbo = price increase of more than 34k

does it make sense people???

Last edited by samyakmodi : 22nd July 2010 at 15:25.
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:10   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Well, thats about an 80K over that of MJD EP with the insurance waiver, etc. They should have offered the existing waivers on this one too, making it only 40-50K or so over the normal MJD EP. At least a few prepared to buy the regulat EP would think about spending that extra amount for the 15 horses, IMO.
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:37   #270
Senior - BHPian

is there any solid reports regarding the performance figures of this car?
every auto mag testing this car is churning out different 0-100 timings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks