Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2010, 19:49   #46
mxx
BHPian

congrats !!!
The Aria looks even more awesome in black. Nice choice of color.
What is the difference between the 2 blacks??

Good to know the few issues found in test drive vehicles are already taken care off. Seems like the TML guys are listening.

Last edited by mxx : 4th November 2010 at 19:58.
Old 4th November 2010, 19:56   #47
BANNED

Congrats

That trip log you have mentioned, are you sure it was a day trip?

Nice road presence the Aria demands.

Wish you a trouble free and a pleasurable motoring.
Old 4th November 2010, 21:50   #48
BHPian

Hi,

Congratulation Lobster.
Your Blacky Beast looks awesome. Please post some more interior pictures.
So finally got a positive point from the owner that aria is free from rattling.

Regards,
Camon
Old 5th November 2010, 13:47   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Congrats lobster. Nice photographs. Would like to here more of driving experience. Any initial niggles ? Nice color too.

Drive safe.
Thanks, no major niggling issues as such. Still happy with the vehicle in general. Will try to make a detailed point by point review from my limited experience. With NHC at around this time was enjoying the suspension on highways, but started to realize that I have to be careful with most Bangalore bumps. With i10 was surprised with its stability/feel at three digit speeds (exceeded my expectations) but was scared with the rubber-band like steering control as well as the plight of rear seat passengers over bumps. With Aria I am still enjoying the ride quality and the surprising ease with which it 'mingles' with traffic on crowded/narrow roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Congrats on your new ride.

Excellent write up and detailed review.

Few questions;
a. No mud flaps yet?
b. How powerful are the headlights?
c. Are the projectors HID compatible?
Thanks, the mud flaps are not yet available. No accessories have reached the dealer yet. I got a complimentary set of floor mats that had actually come for the demo vehicle.

The headlights are quite powerful, will try to add a picture showing the reach. But, combined with the thick A-pillar, have a bit of problem with the sideways spread at corners and junctions. Not sure whether the projectors are HID compatible, how can I check the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Do Not depend entirely on the Tata dealership personnel to fix this. AFAI have seen, they just begin slamming the door as if that'll automatically resolve the problem. If you check, the latch point (don't know its technical name) is adjustable with an Allen Key, so in this case I think it needs to be moved outward (towards the outside of the car, away from the inside?) a very lil bit before tightening and testing.
Thanks will check the same. But a quick hadn't revealed any adjustment facilities there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Navteq are the same maps as used in Ovi, I think (I downloaded them for the N95, and they're Navteq branded. Not much detail at all. Still use the online Google Maps.
Yes, Navteq is a subsidiary of Nokia. I was wondering what sort of map format is used by Navteq device, to check whether Mobile Atlas Creator or any other tool can create off-line Google Maps for the same. Most of my trip route was not covered by Airtel. So needed an off-line map. No other map source had the roads in this region covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Congratulations on your new Aria. The photos have come out well and she sure has awesome street presence. Black looks superb on the Aria.

Looking forward to regular updates on the usual supects like FE reliability etc from your end as you munch up the kms.

Drive safe
Thanks Dippy.

For the overall M.M. Hills trip the MID was showing 10.4 kmpl. This included a 30min plus idilling during lunch break to switch-off and charge mobile (which was doubling as GPS with NavComputer). The GPS on mobile was draining its battery faster than what the USB of ICE could recharge.

For my daily commute, 35kms of bump-to-bump traffic (>100 bumps), the MID was showing 8.7 kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
Congrats, Lobster on being the first BHPian with the Aria. Wish you many happy motoring miles ahead. Just curious, what you have actually purchased is near to what the Captiva is priced today with all the discounts available. Did you consider this aspect while purchasing the Aria. Well, actually I'm also on the lookout to buy one SUV but feel TATA overpriced the Aria by a couple of lac's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
congrats !!!
The Aria looks even more awesome in black. Nice choice of color.
What is the difference between the 2 blacks??

Good to know the few issues found in test drive vehicles are already taken care off. Seems like the TML guys are listening.
Thanks, Quartz Black is the real black and Night Shade Black is a burgundy black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Congrats

That trip log you have mentioned, are you sure it was a day trip?

Nice road presence the Aria demands.

Wish you a trouble free and a pleasurable motoring.
Yes, for sure
Started just before 8am and reached back around 10pm. Only 3 breaks, a rather short (<30min) bio one at Hogenakal, a lunch break (<45min) in the forest before Gopinatham turn on way to M.M. Hills and a (<30min) Coffee Day break at Madur. In fact Coffee Day and median were the reasons to jump from Kanakpura Road to crowded Mysore Road on the way back.
LobsterB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2010, 14:33   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
Congrats, Lobster on being the first BHPian with the Aria. Wish you many happy motoring miles ahead. Just curious, what you have actually purchased is near to what the Captiva is priced today with all the discounts available. Did you consider this aspect while purchasing the Aria. Well, actually I'm also on the lookout to buy one SUV but feel TATA overpriced the Aria by a couple of lac's.
Sorry, missed reply to your post in earlier one and somehow edit wasn't enabled. Is Captiva AWD available for Rs. 15L ex-showroom in Delhi? Didn't come across such a deal in Bangalore. The question on maintenance costs and lack of second/third row A/C vents were my major concerns other than price.
Old 5th November 2010, 18:36   #51
BHPian

Many Many Congrats

ARIA on Tbhp, thats the best place it could have been.

Many many congratulations for the wonderful vehicle you got for yourselves. Have a happy and safe driving all through. Went through the short travel/picture log of yours and I should say, the vehicle has a fantastic road presence. Especially the look of the wheel turned out and the wheel arch front grill picture tells a lot about the vehicle's attitude on road.

Will be keenly waiting for your soft comparisons from the driver's point of view. Surely TATA has delivered a good vehicle from its stable. Enjoy the rides and keep us updated.
Que: How do you see the mileage figures that you have mentioned for a car of this price and class? I mean are they good or you expected better?
Old 5th November 2010, 20:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

First Aria on TBHP.

Congratulations on the acquisition .

How is the comfort with in the 3rd row of seats? Is it any better than most of the SUV's?
Old 5th November 2010, 20:57   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

@LobsterB, congrats on your new wheels. Wishing you a happy, niggle-free ownership.

Dont worry about the color in the pics. There's a lot of things that can affect it - including processing that the ad agencies do. And even the camera & monitor.

One suggestion for your Aria - Get the mud-flaps fast. And try for something longer than the stock ones. Helps better keep the mud off the body.
Old 5th November 2010, 21:51   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
The question on maintenance costs and lack of second/third row A/C vents were my major concerns other than price.
Congrats LobsterB. Also you would not have got the attention neither in TBHP, nor on the road, if you baught a Captiva/Fortuner. Enjoy your new purchase and drive safely.
Old 5th November 2010, 22:22   #55
BHPian

Maybe I am a bit late, but anyways congrats for the Aria. It certainly has some serious road presence. The snaps have come out really well.
Happy mile crunching. Keep us updated.
Old 6th November 2010, 17:57   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the 1st Team-BHP Aria, LobsterB . From the pictures, I can tell you are already using it for the intended purpose. Please do keep updating this thread as the odometer ticks.

Drive safe!
Old 6th November 2010, 23:01   #57
BHPian

Congratulations on the black hunk! Lobster are you driving with 4x4 engaged all the time ? Did you find any difference when you switch to 4x2 mode on the dash?
Old 7th November 2010, 15:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Congrats LobsterB on getting the first Aria on TBHP. Wish you many many miles of happiness.

BTW can you tell me what is the device on the roof in the middle? Are they screens for the DVD player?
Old 7th November 2010, 21:47   #59
BHPian

Congratulations!!
That is indeed one hulk of a vehicle with an awesome color. The pics reveal that the 4x4 is going to be of use more often than nought. BTW, does the inner roof storage space continue all the way to the 3rd row?
Old 8th November 2010, 20:05   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
Congratulations!!
BTW, does the inner roof storage space continue all the way to the 3rd row?
Yes, it does

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Congratulations on the black hunk! Lobster are you driving with 4x4 engaged all the time ? Did you find any difference when you switch to 4x2 mode on the dash?
All of my driving so far was with it enabled. After seeing post tried switching it to 4x2 and feel that there is a bit more power at disposal, but didn't try it enough to conclude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
How is the comfort with in the 3rd row of seats? Is it any better than most of the SUV's?
3rd row from space point of view will not suit adults for long trips. Place to keep your foot down may not be a big issue, but for a 6ft+ person the back of your head might touch the roof when you lean back. Suspension comfort wise the only adult who sat there, so far, was happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Que: How do you see the mileage figures that you have mentioned for a car of this price and class? I mean are they good or you expected better?
It is more or less what I expected. Yet to do a long NH trip (expect 13+ there). Hope to do that next weekend after doing first service this weekend.
LobsterB is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed