Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 14:17   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
A month gone since the launch and LobsterB's is the only Aria in team bhp! No more brave souls out here?
I will get a White Aria Pride by tomorrow most probably.. And I am already thinking of things to write about the Aria..

Not sure whether I should go and do a PDI on the vehicle or not.. It being a new vehicle at least there wouldn't be any problem as such. And I am sure that the dealership and Tata Motors already know that they need to be careful from me.. Will mention all that in my ownership thread
Old 17th November 2010, 16:47   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
I will get a White Aria Pride by tomorrow most probably.. And I am already thinking of things to write about the Aria..

Not sure whether I should go and do a PDI on the vehicle or not.. It being a new vehicle at least there wouldn't be any problem as such. And I am sure that the dealership and Tata Motors already know that they need to be careful from me.. Will mention all that in my ownership thread
I feel that the deliveries are beginning in earnest now. My car has arrived and is going to have its PDI tomorrow. I asked about the delays with the Aria and the Concorde guy told me that Tata prioritized deliveries. It seems they simply werent expecting the booking numbers they had
Old 17th November 2010, 21:49   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Well said ACM! I couldn't have said any better. He trounces Aria because Tata dared price it more than Innova. Hyundai also did it with Santa Fe. But why did he stick up for Santa Fe?
. It seems like Hyundai has turned the proverbial corner with the making of Genesis sedan and coupe and the learning has been applied to all downstream vehicles including KIA. Along with a new design all new Hyundai vehicles are well received in the market. IMO Santa Fe is a better vehicle than Fortuner and if OD did not stick up for Santa Fe, they would be exposed. With that said, I do feel that lot of magazines get away with dissing the Indian vehicles.

I do hope TML applies the learning about vehicle fit/finish, interior refinement, transmission, engine, suspension, etc. to all downstream vehicles and leverage the benefits of common platform to the fullest. Thus one can assume that subsequent products from the X2 platform should be better.
Old 17th November 2010, 23:11   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
ACC (Under the control of the ECU or cases the seperate control module) in most vehicles places the car in outside air intake mode while in Auto, and one needs to manually set the vehicle to recirculation mode each time one starts the car. This in turn disables the Full Auto function, but still lets one set the temperature and have it maintained automatically.

If the car is working in the above manner, it is not a defect but just the way it is supposed to work and the work around is to set to recirculation mode manually.
Yes, this was more or less my understanding as well. But with the recirculation mode light glowing, I thought, foul smell from outside came inside cabin. Today on my way back I set the recirculation mode switch to light off position and tried. So far no issue. Tomorrow morning peak hour traffic should hopefully lead to a conclusion.

Btw, another issue that I feel is the wind noise at three digit speeds. With not so loud music playing the wind noise becomes very audible, suddenly, near 110kmph.
Old 19th November 2010, 21:07   #110
mxx
BHPian

@LobsterB
you have the maps on CD/DVD right? Is it possible to use maps from other provider(like mapmyindia) for the GPS?
Old 21st November 2010, 12:15   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A month gone since the launch and LobsterB's is the only Aria in team bhp! No more brave souls out here?
That wasn't a nice comment, Civic-sense. Do you think Tata customers have to be brave souls to put in their money?

I have had the Sumo, Safari, Sierra and still have the Indica and Indigo Marina and I absolutely love them for what they are. VFM. Each of these cars had travelled over 150000 kms while the Indica and the Marina are on 144000 and 124000 respectively.

It doesn't need brave souls. All it needs is some sense.

Apologies if I did sound rude.
Old 21st November 2010, 14:50   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
That wasn't a nice comment, Civic-sense. Do you think Tata customers have to be brave souls to put in their money?

I have had the Sumo, Safari, Sierra and still have the Indica and Indigo Marina and I absolutely love them for what they are. VFM. Each of these cars had travelled over 150000 kms while the Indica and the Marina are on 144000 and 124000 respectively.

It doesn't need brave souls. All it needs is some sense.

Apologies if I did sound rude.
Well, that was not to offend any TATA owners. I was in fact complimenting LobsterB.

And I believe, you have to be really brave to spend 18L on a "new" TATA car. Aria is definitely not a VFM car. It is an aspirational one. And rarely would anyone be found who feels the TATA brand as an aspirational one.

I guess Aria is the first aspirational vehicle (or call it lifestyle vehicle) from TATA. You really have to be brave to buy one, heck, for 18L.

Last edited by civic-sense : 21st November 2010 at 14:52.
Old 21st November 2010, 19:32   #113
BHPian

congrats LobsterB for your pride possession! she looks just awesome in the pictures that you have posted! congrats buddy!
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:42   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess Aria is the first aspirational vehicle (or call it lifestyle vehicle) from TATA. You really have to be brave to buy one, heck, for 18L.
Times are changing. From what I have seen and heard, it has the stuff to be priced up there. And yes, Tata will be an aspirational brand soon. They are definitely getting there without riding piggyback on anyone else.
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:54   #115
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Not sure whether I should go and do a PDI on the vehicle or not.. It being a new vehicle at least there wouldn't be any problem as such.
A PDI isn't only to confirm that you are getting a freshly manufactured vehicle; it also helps in protecting you from damaged / demo cars. A PDI takes anywhere between 45 - 90 minutes. Considering that you will keep the car for a couple of years, and the large financial outflow involved, I'd consider it time well spent. Ending up with damaged goods will cost you multiple times of that 90 minutes.

Please be sure to check the car thoroughly before registration & delivery.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:21   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm.. I don't think ARIA is either the first aspirational or lifestyle vehicle. Safari was the first aspirational vehicle and XENON could be called the first lifestyle vehicle.

You can call the ARIA the first crossover though .

However, not being stuck up about the stereotypes ARIA seems like a very good car from TML. Though there are some complaints about the test drive vehicles, the sold cars seem much better from the reviews so far. I hope TML also improves the test drive vehicles and put to rest these questions and doubts.
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:31   #117
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Lobster - How as the Sat Nav CD handed to you - was it already inserted in the satnav disk bay or was it given seperately?
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:37   #118
BHPian

Yeti is being launched at 18 lakhs ex show., i guess thats the top end Aria level with no third row and *** as good or bad as TATA's. Slowly TATA is proving the point that ARIA is a well priced vehicle.
Old 22nd November 2010, 17:24   #119
BHPian

3000km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Lobster - How as the Sat Nav CD handed to you - was it already inserted in the satnav disk bay or was it given seperately?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
@LobsterB
you have the maps on CD/DVD right? Is it possible to use maps from other provider(like mapmyindia) for the GPS?
Sorry, Prestige doesn't include SatNav. I still use NavComputer on my Windows Mobile with Offline Google Maps extracted using Mobile Atlas Creator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Hmm.. I don't think ARIA is either the first aspirational or lifestyle vehicle. Safari was the first aspirational vehicle and XENON could be called the first lifestyle vehicle.
Well, for me Tata Sierra was the first vehicle that I wanted to own. During my college days an immediate family member owned one from the initial lot of Sierra's and was well aware of the overall ownership (and service!) experience.

Btw, crossed 3K on the odo, with a weekend 1K drive of northern TN. On the way back took the wrong road at the wrong time to Thiruvannamalai and lost 3 hours. Well I actually didn't get stuck in traffic as on every traffic block I took the first side road and tried to reroute ourselves using GPS. Successfully made to NH66 on all three attempts only to realize that crossing the city was impossible.

Finally one policeman asked us to wait for a few hours or try a 'not so interesting road'. Chose the the latter and soon ended up in a narrow slush filled stretch dug-up wide and deep (for underground drainage ?). Somewhere half-way in this road an auto-rickshaw was stuck with its rear wheels barely visible in slush and I had to stop. As soon as the auto was moved to the side my engine stalled and I realized that the AWD vehicle is not able to move forward! After a few attempts at first gear switched to reverse and was able to move an inch or so back. Switched to first gear again, gathered all my courage and floored the accelerator - thankfully the vehicle started rolling forward. The next 15-20 minutes in this stretch was crossed by trying hard to make sure that we don't stop and ended-up in a road to vellore that wasn't blocked enabling us to re-route via Vasur to reach NH66 at Chengam. Didn't know the do's and do-not's in this kind of slushy 'road', perhaps I should have bothered to lookup before... But felt that a bit more torque on the lower-end was desirable.

A few other points to share
  • FE attained on 4-lane highways (with a not so sedate driving ) was 12.1 kmpl
  • MID FE seems to match the tank-full measurements
  • Vehicle felt as planted at 150kmph as it was at any lower speed like 80-90kmph. Btw, this was with 5adults,2kids and their luggage.
  • Negotiating typical bends (not Thoppur Ghat section bends) on NH-7 at 100-120kmph felt well within the limits to which it can be pushed.
  • The last row was declared as 'comfortable'. Btw, it was the same adult and kid in the last row for the full 1100kms.
  • No FE difference was observed between 4x4 mode and 4x2 mode
  • In 4x4 mode while running over triple bumps (that are a bit bigger than normal) felt that the wheels were sliding. In 4x2 mode this issue is not there and instead the front wheels get pushed through when they over the triple bump
  • Other than the above didn't find too much difference between the two on normal roads. But somewhere deep in my mind, felt that the ride to be a bit better with 4x4 mode and power delivery to be bit more smoother with 4x2 mode(perhaps you should take this statement with a bit of salt). I anyway ride with 4x4 mode(after the tankful 4x2 FE measurement) as the craters on my regular route from home are only getting worse day by day and the daily showers does make things any better.
  • Auto Headlights are always switched-on in dim after a power-on irrespective of dim-bright lever position. Perhaps the AC recirculation mode button is also behaving the same way.

Last edited by LobsterB : 22nd November 2010 at 17:32. Reason: Typos!
LobsterB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:08   #120
Senior - BHPian

lobster:

I read somewhere that ARIA runs on AWD. Though, in review I came to know that ARIA is 4x2 (also 4x4). Could you tell me what is the difference between a 4wd and a AWD.

Also, could we ask for a PDI report before taking delivery from the showroom?

Last edited by mercedised : 22nd November 2010 at 18:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks