Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 10:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Wind is here - VW Vento AT

The brake dust is very common. Some company (i think Jag) had to re-design something to not let the brake dust visible.
On my black car, the dust makes the alloy look better, gun metal finish

Last edited by srishiva : 26th May 2011 at 10:42.
Old 26th May 2011, 12:14   #62
BHPian

Cool photos and write-up. Can you start posting some mileage stats (current/ ongoing etc) and ride quality?

have some minor questions: does the audio have an aux-in? is there a leg rest for the left leg ?
Old 26th May 2011, 12:21   #63
Senior - BHPian

Excessive brake dust is not good. Ages ago, when the 118NE came in Premier did not know that the master cylinders for Disc Brake cars had to be different. My father had an early 118NE and this dust was an issue. Went through two sets of pads in a year (<10,000km). Finally, after 15 months they had a recall and changed the master cylinders. Of course did not recompense the expenses for the two sets of pads.
Old 26th May 2011, 13:30   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Cool photos and write-up. Can you start posting some mileage stats (current/ ongoing etc) and ride quality?
Not the best qustion to ask a petrol AT owner . Around 10 kmpl is par for the course, less in heavy traffic, I imagine. That's what I get on my Vento AT.
Ride quality is amazing. Only the Linea comes close in this segment.

Quote:
some minor questions: does the audio have an aux-in?
Nope. At least the stock doesn't. Jesal has fitted the Pio HU that probably does.

Quote:
is there a leg rest for the left leg ?
Nope. Sorely missed. I was wondering if dead pedal can be custom installed. Anyone?
Old 26th May 2011, 14:31   #65
BANNED

as noopster said i dont care about the mileage at all. my father has to drive a torture drive of 20 kms daily. i think health is more value there. when i drive the mileage is always above 11 but when my father drives this now the mileage on the clock shows 8 or 9. the reason is he is so used to the cvt on the city that he forgets this is a 6speed box. the cvt has to be one of the best autoboxs to own. right now i have the 4 and 5 and 6 speed boxs and after cvt vento has the best gearbox surely. car has done 2000 kms as of now. my pioneer has front aux in, usb in and sd card in. this was one of the main reasons of choosing this hu since it was a flush fit and all connectors were in built. one bad habit my father has now that he drives while watching movies. told him a few times but he says he watches only on signals and slow traffic. i hope thats the case.
Old 31st May 2011, 16:40   #66
BHPian

Need some help understanding this, if someone in the forum can help: Vento AT has tiptronic (semi-manual mode), but it is not a DSG. But is it a dual clutch transmission? Can only dual-cltuch transmissions have semi manual mode? How is CVT different, I believe even that has semi-manual mode which can be used with paddle shifters?

Trying to increase my knowledge on autoboxes!
Old 31st May 2011, 17:07   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Need some help understanding this, if someone in the forum can help: Vento AT has tiptronic (semi-manual mode), but it is not a DSG. But is it a dual clutch transmission? Can only dual-cltuch transmissions have semi manual mode? How is CVT different, I believe even that has semi-manual mode which can be used with paddle shifters?

Trying to increase my knowledge on autoboxes!
Basically as far as I know there are 3 types of autoboxes -

1) Conventional torque converter type
2) Dual Clutch Gearbox (called DSG, S-tronic, PDK by different manufacturers)
3) CVT or Continously variable transmission

Any of these can have a semi manual mode. In torque converters and DSG there are separate gears, so in semi manual mode the person driving can select which gear to be in via the gear stick or paddle shift. In CVTs there is only one gear as such, since it is like a rubber band which gets stretched or shortened to select what gear is wanted. So when selecting gears in a CVT there is no actual gear being changed, only the rubber band being varied to preset lengths.

Apologies for the crude explanation, it probably is not technically correct but I hope what I meant can be understood.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 31st May 2011 at 17:09.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 20:22   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Basically as far as I know there are 3 types of autoboxes -

1) Conventional torque converter type
2) Dual Clutch Gearbox (called DSG, S-tronic, PDK by different manufacturers)
3) CVT or Continously variable transmission

Any of these can have a semi manual mode. In torque converters and DSG there are separate gears, so in semi manual mode the person driving can select which gear to be in via the gear stick or paddle shift. In CVTs there is only one gear as such, since it is like a rubber band which gets stretched or shortened to select what gear is wanted. So when selecting gears in a CVT there is no actual gear being changed, only the rubber band being varied to preset lengths.

Apologies for the crude explanation, it probably is not technically correct but I hope what I meant can be understood.
Thanks a ton for the explanation, gives me lot of ideas about autos! So which one is the best? DSG type ECU controlled dual clutch gear box?
Old 31st May 2011, 21:24   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Thanks a ton for the explanation, gives me lot of ideas about autos! So which one is the best? DSG type ECU controlled dual clutch gear box?
Well dual clutch gearboxes, whether DSG or PDK or whatever are considered to be the best driving wise. But then their reliability is not as good as normal autoboxes. Come to think of it I haven't heard of CVTs failing either.
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:43   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

I thank my stars the Vento has an old-school AT rather than the DSG. The Mechatronics failures reported on the forum are scary!

Having said that, DSG is a dream to drive- the closest you will get to an MT without having to use the clutch. Am hoping they get their act together by the time I am ready for my next car!
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:03   #71
BANNED

i think for bombay cvt are best boxes no doubt. after trying all the boxes right from cvt to 4 & 5 & 6 speed boxes i dont mind owning a DSG and the likes. the new 5 series has 8 speed i wonder what thats like
Old 21st July 2011, 16:29   #72
BANNED

does anyone have a vento and has front right side rattle issue. its very minor it seems, mostly when engine starts and then in potholes at low speeds only. on roads and highways nothing at all ?
Old 29th July 2011, 11:24   #73
BANNED

what are VW top officials email addresses ???
Old 11th August 2011, 11:07   #74
BANNED

so after no response from anyone here, my car has gone for a mount change, also picked this up as well
Attached Thumbnails
The Wind is here - VW Vento AT-photo-1-2.jpg  

Old 11th August 2011, 12:26   #75
Team-BHP Support

Congrats, DSG I'm assuming? Post some more pics of it. Looks to be in great shape.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks