Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2008, 15:08   #46
BHPian

Thank you so much guys. Now, its the waiting game. Car to be delivered soon.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

Tamhini Ghat condition??

Hello,

We (me & 2 friends, along with our families) are planning a trip to Dive Agar on the Jan 23-24 weekend, and are planning to take the Tamhini Ghat route from Pune. We will be travelling in a Swift and an i10.

Does anyone know what the condition of this road is right now? Is it really bad/average/decent/good? If it's not advisable, which is the next best option (distance wise)?

Also, any tips about places to stay (budget is tariff upto max Rs.3000) in Dive Agar will be most welcome! :-)

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 5th January 2010 at 12:30.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Does anyone know what the condition of this road is right now? Is it really bad/average/decent/good? If it's not advisable, which is the next best option (distance wise)?
Also, any tips about places to stay (budget is tariff upto max Rs.3000) in Dive Agar will be most welcome! :-)

1] go via tamhini ghat whatever may be the road condition.
I don't think it will be any problem upto poud. poud to mulashi dam is ok road.
mulashi dam to dongarwadi is some what rough.
dongarwadi to plus point is average. plus point to end of ghat at vile is ok road.
vile-nizampur-mangaon is good road.
mangaon-mhasala-diveagar is good road.
pune-diveagar 180 km.

2] Stay at privatised mtdc resort named mtdc exotica.
it has best location and within your budgeted tariff.
Old 5th January 2010, 13:13   #49
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much, Ashish!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 5th January 2010, 13:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Team, we had been to Diveagar and Shrivardhan a lot of times last year. I never take the Tamhini ghat route. It is too stressful. I can rarely keep up speeds of over 70+.

So, I take the expressway till Panvel and join the Mumbai-Goa highway from there. The roads are brilliant and I touch 120+ in stretches. The drive is very smooth. But be very very careful when overtaking. It is a two lane road.

Ask for directions from Mangaon, if you are a first-timer! There is a right turn towards Diveagar. From here, there is a small winding ghat road to Diveagar. Road is excellent.

Exotica is always full. They have one of the best locations. Prathmesh resorts is a good alternative. You can get rooms for 900 to 1500 bucks depending on the occupancy. But it is about 2 km away from the beach! There are hundreds of homestays available there. But the rooms may not be good.

I would definitely suggest you to visit Shrivardhan also. The drive to Shri, through the ghats, with the ocean on your right, is a superb experience!

And remember to carry Goodnight and insect repellent creams.
Old 5th January 2010, 15:12   #51
BHPian

I travelled to Ganapatipule on 25th Dec long weekend. Though I had other options, I opted to go via Tamhini since I had to meet some relative en-route. And as Ashish has posted, it is good till Mulashi dam, probably just ahead of that (till Quickbite restaurant I guess). After that it deteriorates. At some place on the ghat section around Dongarwadi, I was not even able to keep 15kmph, and took me around 6 hrs to reach Mahad (NOT the one on Ashtavinayak route); on NH 17. And this was the last time I travelled on that road; decided.

If you dont have any other alternative, would suggest to opt for Tamhini ghat otherwise stay away.
Old 5th January 2010, 15:55   #52
Senior - BHPian

There are two questions I ask myself before I embark on my drives.

1. Do I want to reach quickly, take a shortcut, encounter terrible roads and end up tired and frustrated? Do I want to drive in second gear for most of the time?

Or

2. Do I want a relaxed drive on very good roads and reach my destination fresh and invigorated?

I always choose the second option, even if it means driving about 20 - 30 kms more.

Avoid Tamhini ghat, if you choose option 2.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:29   #53
BHPian

I would most definitely agree with Chevy_lover. We had been to Diveagar early December. The roads near Tamhini are horrendous to say the least. While coming back, we took option 2. We came back via Nh-17, Pen-Khopoli-Pune. About 30-40 kms extra but less stressful.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:57   #54
Senior - BHPian

There are two questions i ask myself before i embark on my drive.
1] Do i want to drive enjoying nature?
or
2] Do i want to travel on expressway to drive fast ignoring beauty of nature?

choice depends upon person to person.
Old 12th January 2010, 15:19   #55
BHPian

I am with Ashish here. whatever floats your boat so to speak.
If you can bear a few kms bad roads then option 1 is better. option 2 is nice and boring!

Instead of going all the way to Panvel in option 2 you can take the exit to Khopoli and then go via Pen.
On a vacation I like to be fresh when I reach, but I also prefer to take the road which isn't as mundane as the Expressway is.
For Diveagar or beaches in Raigad district the choice is limited to E-way and Tamhini.
Old 30th March 2010, 11:43   #56
BHPian

Has anyone been to Mulshi to Tamhini route recently? I am planning a diveagar trip coming long weekend. How are the road now a days?

Last edited by sidd25 : 30th March 2010 at 11:48.
Old 30th March 2010, 19:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

A few weeks ago..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd25 View Post
Has anyone been to Mulshi to Tamhini route recently? I am planning a diveagar trip coming long weekend. How are the road now a days?
Did the Mangaon - Pune trip via Tamhini - Mulshi ghat a couple of weeks back. From Mangaon up to the beginning of the ghat the road is OK. In fact up to the point where you have to take a turn (left turn while going from Pune to Mangaon) there is a superb stretch of road (where a resort is coming up) like this -

Pune - Diveagar-mahad-109.jpg

and thereafter the road gets bad - there are plenty of broken patches and repair / relaying work is going on. General condition was like this. Took about 3 hours from Mangaon to Chandani Chowk (a couple of halts for about 15 - 25 minutes). If you plan to take a bike, be prepared for a pretty sore bottom! If it is a car, the suspension is going to be tested. But the ride will be worth it - and you will be rewarded with the "Palas" - "flame of the forest" in full bloom - that is a sight to see....
Attached Thumbnails
Pune - Diveagar-mahad-113.jpg  

Pune - Diveagar-mahad-115.jpg  

Pune - Diveagar-flame.jpg  

Old 1st April 2010, 17:48   #58
Senior - BHPian

Have a roaring time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd25 View Post
I am excited to roar on this tarmac in my i10.
All the best! Take care. Can you please update on the state of the "palas" trees after your trip?
Old 15th August 2010, 22:07   #59
BHPian

PUNE ----> KASHID / ALIBAUGH .... Best Route

Planned a trip for KASHID / ALIBAUGH for Aug last week.
Kindly suggest the best route for these place.

I want a stress free driving.. So i dont want to take those ghat roads.

Kindly suggest some budget hotel to stay at those places.

Any details will be helpful to me.
Old 15th August 2010, 22:18   #60
MX6
Senior - BHPian

If it's Kashid Alibaug, take the e-way and take the khopoli exit.
If you want to go directly to Alibaug, from khopoli proceed to Pen and alibaug.
If you want to go to Kashid directly, You can go from Khopoli to Pali then to Roha and then Kashid as well.
Roads are excellent till NH17 if you take the khopoli - pali route.
Not sure about khopoli pen stretch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks