Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2009, 22:40   #136

Very well written Triplog Tanveer.

After reading the first lot on a different forum I was eager to know about the nightmare. I believe its about time you should end this nightmare & do something like this:

Quote:
Car maker told to pay Rs 5L

New Delhi: In the case of an automobile manufacturer selling a defective car to its consumer, the state consumer commission came down heavily on Tata Engineering and Locomotive Co Ltd directing it to pay one Sunil Bhasin Rs 5 lakh along with Rs 25,000 as compensation for the mental harassment and added expenses he incurred for maintaining the car.
Bhasin had purchased a Tata Indica car from a dealer in 2000. A few months later he discovered manufacturing and electrical defects in the car and had to take it to the garage on 30 to 40 occasions. He alleged that special features like URO-II pollution free, less consumption of fuel were more of a publicity stunt by the manufacturers.
In its defence, the company pleaded the car had met with an accident and the complainant deliberately concealed the job cards since the warranty would have come to an end. The commission, however, quashed this plea and noted that the special features so advertised proved to be a complete failure. ‘‘The false and misleading information on the quality and standard of the vehicle was nothing but complete deception and fraud upon the consumer by the manufacturer, and amounts to deficiency in service,’’ observed Justice J D Kapoor. TNN

Source: Times of India
Cheers,
DJ
Old 21st March 2009, 23:26   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Before you try any kind of mumbo-juimbo on that hophankey (HOrse-elepHANt-donKEY), you should consider enlisting services of that famous guy from Kerala who cured Steer's steed of its illness. ;-)

Seriously, at least, another service-dealership.
I don't have any complaints from the dealership, since everything failing is something new. So unless work done by them starts failing, I don't have a reason to go elsewhere!
Old 22nd March 2009, 14:21   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
....everything failing is something new.
It's nearly all been taken care of now!
It is clearly foreseeable that sufficient 'tapasya' has been done and the end to the saga is near!
Virtually renewed, the horse shall trot, prance or gallop to your dictate and the bad memories shall inexorably be healed by Time and the thrilling escapades the BULL shall permit!
Once again, you'll become one with the salubrious satisfaction of a Safari!

And we will all gain with some top class travelogues!

Last edited by anupmathur : 22nd March 2009 at 14:22.
Old 22nd March 2009, 19:15   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
And we will all gain with some top class travelogues!
Bingo! Awaiting that.
BTW, your Sangla report made us change our plans - thanks! We were planning to visit this April - but given the water issues its clearly a bad time.
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:02   #140
BHPian

Man !!!! it got back great memories of our road trip to Chail,Sangla, Tabo, Kaza Kalpa and Shoja. We did the trip in May 2008 from Delhi. The Innova had no problems any where but we did hardly any off roading. However the road from Kalpa via Nako to Tabo was really testing.
The photos clicked are beautiful. When did you go?
Suneet
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:04   #141
Team-BHP Support

Thanks suneet. We stayed at Kalpa and went on a day trip to Sangla/Chitkul
Old 31st March 2009, 16:34   #142
BHPian

Wow

Hey Tanveer! That was an amazing travelogue. I got onto it today as we are planning a trip to Himachal in May and have done nothing in office today except read all the pages! You certainly had your fair share of troubles. Reminds me of my Tata Sierra - delivered with worn out tyres, oil pipe burst on the way to Bangalore, alternator failed on another trip north etc. etc. That was 14 years ago, I thought things might have changed a wee bit...
Well, I am planning a trip with the family (4 of us) along with 3 others - that's 3 more cars. I drive a Forester but the other three are sedans (Octavia, Esteem & one more). I was wondering how it would be to drive up to Sangla and do the route that you did.
How is the accommodation on the route? We were planning to do Shimla, Theog, Rohru, Chansal, Sangla? There will be a small child with us also.
Will appreciate your comments and will post my journey when I finish. I hope it will not be so 'eventful' as yours.
Bombay-Udaipur-Delhi-Shimla onwards
Old 31st March 2009, 16:57   #143
Team-BHP Support

1. Skip Rohru. Its slightly out of the way, and the roads are very very bad. The only attraction in rohru is drive upto chansal and Pabbar
Read it here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...sal-ghati.html
Since you have a small child I suggest you do the following(my instructions are from Delhi)
1. Day 1 Delhi-Shimla
2. Spend as many days in shimla you want to(depending on your plans)
3. Go from Shimla - Narkanda, visit Hatu peak and stay night at Narkanda
4. Do Narkanda - Sangla (5-6 hours)
5. Spend 2 or 3 nights in Sangla as per your holiday plans.

Sedans will do the entire route, and your forester can do 4WD sections(there are numerous trails around sangla).
But be careful about grounding. Near Tapri etc., road is non existent, and there are deep ruts due to heavy trucks. So sedans will have to take it slowly.
The ride is bone jarring too.
Old 12th April 2009, 19:49   #144
BHPian

Your Travelogue brought back great memories of our trip to the same area in May 2008. We reached Chitkul well past lunch time and were famished but luckily Hindustan Ka Akhri Dhaba was open and the lady ther made us Maggi noddles and Omlettes. It was a real god send to down it with Tea.

The campsite you were referring to was the Banjara Campsite. In summer they set up a real good camp.
We contined our journey from Sangla To Kalpa to Tabo and back to Kalpa and onward to Shoja via the Jalorie pass. form Tabo we drove to Gomic the world's highest motorable village in search of the elusive snow. The kids had even trekked to Sangl Kanda to touch snow but ther too we missed it. The kids wer mad at us . Luckily nera Gomic there was a pile of snow where the kids decide to paly. God seemed to have been pleased by their dteremination because while we were there it actually snowed for about 5 mins. the kids were elated .

Suneet
Old 7th July 2009, 19:21   #145
Senior - BHPian

Hai TSK,

Was searching information for Sangla and came across your thread.... needless to say, read it from end to end. Great adventure story, living narration and lovely pictures. Hope the beast behaves on your Leh trip.

A few questions, if you can answer:

1. Why did you select Kalpa and not Sangla? If one selects Sangla to stay between camp kinner and Banjara camp which would be better, both are pricey at about 2K per pax per night.

2. What are the distances from Delhi to Sangla and timings.

Would be grateful for information..... if I get leave around Aug 15th, thinking of riding out there.

Thanks.

--Ramky
======
Old 7th July 2009, 19:39   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai TSK,

Was searching information for Sangla and came across your thread.... needless to say, read it from end to end. Great adventure story, living narration and lovely pictures. Hope the beast behaves on your Leh trip.

A few questions, if you can answer:

1. Why did you select Kalpa and not Sangla? If one selects Sangla to stay between camp kinner and Banjara camp which would be better, both are pricey at about 2K per pax per night.
We actually selected sangla. But when we reached there we discovered there was hardly any water as himachal had suffered winter drought. Incidentally, this time snowfall in himalayas happened post end march going well into end may.
So with hardly any water around, and many hotels closed we decided to head to kalpa

As for acco, I have heard good things about the camps, but they are pretty expensive(3000+ I think). Have mostly stayed in budget hotels in himachal. since we did not actually spend a night in sangla, can't give much details, but from the reviews Banjara do have a great reputation

Quote:
2. What are the distances from Delhi to Sangla and timings.

Would be grateful for information..... if I get leave around Aug 15th, thinking of riding out there.

Thanks.

--Ramky
======
The distance is approximately 600kms, however thats very deceptive.
Delhi to Sangla in one day is possible, i.e a straight drive of 16 hours.
First leg of Delhi-Narkanda is relative faster with a run of 9-10 hours depending upon traffic.
We started from Narkanda around 12:30pm and were in Sangla by around 6pm when we went.
The roads after rampur are very very bad due to dam construction.
So if you want to do Delhi Sangla non stop, a 4am start will see you around noon at Narkanda, and by sundown you will be at Sangla.
Old 8th July 2009, 12:01   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
We actually selected sangla. ..................... and many hotels closed we decided to head to kalpa

As for acco, I have heard .....................much details, but from the reviews Banjara do have a great reputation

The distance is approximately 600kms, however thats very deceptive.
So if you want to do Delhi Sangla non stop, a 4am start will see you around noon at Narkanda, and by sundown you will be at Sangla.
Thanks for the information.

Hope the water problems would be sorted out by now, saw in many threads that Baspa water flow is a trickle now due to the dam and Sangla is pretty bad with dirt piles and litter from tourists. Down the trail to Chitkut and around looks OK and the trekking options look great. Just want to spend 3-4 quiet days with family trekking around there.

Banjara has quoted for 4 adults 8.5 K per day, all inclusive, pricey, but they have the best reputation around there. Trying to drum down the quote...... waiting. A trek guide is 300/ per day extra. Any other decent family staying options around there?

Delhi to Sangla is a tough drive, I'm planning to break and stay at Chandigarh (uncle's house) and drive up from there. The distances and timings look like this, Chdh-Shimla-115 kms=3 hours, Shilma-Sangla-215 kms- 9 hours. I guess one can cut down on the drive time by about 1 hour totally, so if I start from Chdh by 5 AM, I'd be at Sangla around 5 PM?

======
Old 8th July 2009, 12:26   #148
Team-BHP Support

If you start early you will miss the jam at Kalka. That means you are in shimla by 8am, narkanda by 10am, and definitely at Sangla around 4:30pm.
As for stay, most hotels there are not online type, but since the peak season starts to wane in August, you may get on the spot booking.
You can go ahead to chitkul. There is a nice resort there at the end of the road. adc posted a few pictures which have the phone number of the resort at chitkul.
As for water situation, monsoon has failed, but in himachal its going to definitely rain some so water situation will not be that grim as it was in march.
Moreover due to heavy snow in April may, there should be enough melting snow on the mountains.

As for Sangla itself, its pretty bad for around 10kms after you take diversion from the main road. But once you cross the dam area, landscape improves.
After sangla, its pure bliss, and as you go to chitkul its amazing.
I recommend chitkul over sangla. You will save money, and stay in a much nicer place.

Make sure you tank up in Rampur though.
There is a new petrol pump somewhere near Karcham, but its on road side, and may not always have fuel.
Apart from that there are pumps in Reckong Peo which is a very big town with lots of hotels.
Old 8th July 2009, 12:51   #149
Senior - BHPian

In case of no any specific reason to stay in Chandigarh, I suggest you take day break at Narkanda. That will give you enough time to reach Sangla and Chitkul with a luxurious pace enjoying the nature en-route.

Following are the Stay options at Kalpa, Reckong Peo, Sangla and Chitkul. Also see the attached file, if that helps

I have heard some good views about Panchali Resort at Chitkul though never stayed there.

Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-sangla.gif

Kinnaur Trip.xls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Thanks for the information.

Hope the water problems would be sorted out by now, saw in many threads that Baspa water flow is a trickle now due to the dam and Sangla is pretty bad with dirt piles and litter from tourists. Down the trail to Chitkut and around looks OK and the trekking options look great. Just want to spend 3-4 quiet days with family trekking around there.

Banjara has quoted for 4 adults 8.5 K per day, all inclusive, pricey, but they have the best reputation around there. Trying to drum down the quote...... waiting. A trek guide is 300/ per day extra. Any other decent family staying options around there?

Delhi to Sangla is a tough drive, I'm planning to break and stay at Chandigarh (uncle's house) and drive up from there. The distances and timings look like this, Chdh-Shimla-115 kms=3 hours, Shilma-Sangla-215 kms- 9 hours. I guess one can cut down on the drive time by about 1 hour totally, so if I start from Chdh by 5 AM, I'd be at Sangla around 5 PM?

======
Old 8th July 2009, 13:21   #150
Senior - BHPian

TSK: Tnx again for all the info here and on the phone...

Bharat: Wow....... that's a load of information and the excel pregnant with some and more....... tnx a ton. Will try Panchali resort, money saved is money earned

=====

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks