Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2009, 15:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Btw why were you without mobile phone? Or was it that there was no network coverage of your service provider in that area?
Old 17th March 2009, 15:33   #32
Team-BHP Support

Friday the 13th

The day was bright, sunny and cheerful.
But we were anything but that.
Power is out. It went out sometime in the night.
Woke up black eyed, wondering what do do next.
First step was to get to Reckong Peo MASS.
In the hills its not a simple job. The bus comes every 2 hours, and takes another 2 to get there snaking its way thorugh multiple detours.
So we decided to trek down to chini village, and get a lift or something.
We go down, and wander around looking for cabs, but its just around 9am, and hills are still somewhat sleeping.
Meanwhile the cell phone is with me, and atleast I have connectivity.
Soon the phone call comes from customer care, and they ask me whether MASS has sorted out stuff. I tell them I am yet to reach MASS, and I ask them to call me an hour later.
Finally we spot a couple in an 800 who graciously agree to drop us down to the MASS.
Reach there, and speak to the mechanic. His boss, Mr Shiv Bhagat who had called me earlier has already spoken to him, and he knows the story.
So down we go to Reckong Peo, and wait for a bus to take us to the white elephant.
Its past 10 when we finally reach there.
I crank her up, and she fires up, lively as if nothing as happened, and we start our climb to Reckong Peo.
Barely a km before I lose power again.
We wait for it to cool down, and I call up service advisor at Gurgaon again. He instructs the MASS guy to clean sedimenter. We do that, but no go.
Then we head towards a HP pump nearby, and take out nearly 5lts of diesel from both the sedimenter and main filter, and check the fuel.
He gives the green signal that the fuel is crystal clear. The pump at Tapri is new, so no change of debris either
. Meanwhile there is no power anywhere in the region. Some major line has snapped, and repair is expected to go on till night.
So no compressed air, but anyways, the mechanic says he will clean air filter again, but he suspects its not a filter issue, but some lose connection issue.
Somehow stopping and going we reach MASS.
Clean air filter, but nothing is working.
This is going to be a long day. A very very long day.
Meanwhile I get call from customer care and I tell them that its no go.
Again a call from chd comes, and the guy says he is arranging for someone to come from Solan.
I ask him to make sure that the guy has spare parts and a laptop. He says okay.
Its noon now, we are tired and thirsty, and the bus to Kalpa goes at 2:30,
So all we can do is sit at Reckong Peo in the bus, and admire how do 500 people fit in a mini bus.
There are 2 people sitting in my lap and 2 on my head.
Its hot muggy, and frustrating.
The white elephant is parked at MASS, blissfully basking in the sun.
Finally the bus starts, and begins its slow ardeous journey to Kalpa.
Old 17th March 2009, 15:35   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Btw why were you without mobile phone? Or was it that there was no network coverage of your service provider in that area?
Reliance has no mobile coverage there, but they have towers all the way to Kaza.
I had asked customer care about network in that area, and they had asked me to send SMS to an automated system with name of place.
The automated system replied network available.
Apparently few days back reliance had done a network test in that region. and then again switched of the network. But automated system had forgotten that.
Probably services will start in May.
Meanwhile, I intend to get a BSNL.
Old 17th March 2009, 15:37   #34
Team-BHP Support

Since it was a overheating issue, did you try driving with the heater on in full blast.
As that would have taken some of the heat away from the engine.
Old 17th March 2009, 15:43   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Since it was a overheating issue, did you try driving with the heater on in full blast.
As that would have taken some of the heat away from the engine.
If I had known it was an overhating issue, I would have opened the damned radiator and put in water and gone to shoja. But the silly temp guage stated a notch below center, indicating everything is rosy.
I was suspecting fuel pump failure. Fuel pump goes hot, and stops pumping fuel, and ECU goes into limp mode
I remembered an old incident where we had to drive M800 for 20 kms step by step pouring water on fuel pump!
Old 17th March 2009, 15:49   #36
Team-BHP Support

Is the fuel pump in a Safari very silent. Because in my Wagon R I can distinctly hear it when there is 0 ambient noise and I stand in the right hand side rear.

I think you are just plain unlucky with this vehicle.
Maybe a trip to a durgah will have better effect than a trip to the Tata A.S.S.
Old 17th March 2009, 15:55   #37
Team-BHP Support

No its not silent, with ign on and engine off you can hear that hum. but fuel pump running does not necessarily mean its pumping fuel properly.
Old 17th March 2009, 16:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

So it is not possible to remove the output of fuel pump and hold a bottle or jar to collect the diesel and check whether its pumping the fuel with ignition ON ?.
Old 17th March 2009, 16:02   #39
Team-BHP Support

In a modern vehicle under warranty, its not advisable to touch anything, so just clean filters etc., and hope things work out
Old 17th March 2009, 16:06   #40
Team-BHP Support

I can imagine the pain. What a murder of such an excellent trip! And I am sure getting stuck in the middle of nowhere at nights is definitely not anyone's idea of a grerat holiday. So I do understand your pain brother.

Tan, do you reckon the it has all now come a full circle? Do you think you are going to go after Tata to give you a replacement or something? How long can this circus go on?
Old 17th March 2009, 16:14   #41
BHPian

I can empathise with you Tanveer. I have been stranded once in the middle of nowhere in planes and it gives such a helpless feeling. Mountains can be worse. The pics are lovely.

I am planing to do this drive in my 5 yr, 74,000 km old zen lxi in may 09. Is it doable in a zen?
Old 17th March 2009, 16:26   #42
Team-BHP Support

Its doable but be careful on broken roads so as not to ground the vehicle. And this place has a MASS, so no issues with service.
Old 17th March 2009, 16:30   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
..I am planing to do this drive in my 5 yr, 74,000 km old zen lxi in may 09. Is it doable in a zen?
I once went with a friend to Sonmarg in Kashmir in a zen (old model, not the estilo). On some bad roads with boulders and large stones, the zen hit a large stone and the some gear oil seal or something broke. Due to this, the gear got stuck in the 3rd and we had to drive back (90 kms) in the 3rd gear without stopping or even slowing down.

I was told this was because the zen has a very low ground clearance and this is common problem in all small cars from Maruti.
Old 17th March 2009, 16:30   #44
BHPian

Thanks Tanveer for the info. Awaiting your next post. Hope it got resolved and you had a good trip.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th March 2009 at 21:23. Reason: Hi dushmish, we have a few skid-plate threads - it would be best if you posted your query there. Thanks.
Old 17th March 2009, 16:45   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
That is comforting. I am planning a trip to UP Hills on my Alto and was wondering if my car to take that. This is reassuring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
TATA has to come with actual % of Safaris having issues.
@travelwriter: Trust me, you WILL get spare parts and service for an Alto in the loneliet of places - though I wouldn't bet the same about the GV.

@ravibhat: Your would-be ride = a 2009 Safari? After going through this thread, I thought you'd have already changed your signature!

One of the morals of Tanveer's story: Always head for the hills with one Airtel and one BSNL post-paid connection working.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 17th March 2009 at 16:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks