Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:41   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I think the original name for the Guna Caves is "Devil's Kitchen".
Yes, Gansan. Devil's kitchen is the wooded area before reaching Guna caves. I heard that the name was given because of the black coloured soil there.
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:21   #167
BHPian

Devils Kitchen, Guna Caves, I heard that the it is quite a dangerous place, remember one of my friends had a fall but he was lucky with just a fractured arm, looking forward to the rest of travelogue, nice pictures of the pine forest, like the one where the tree shows its roots, looks like snakes. Cool continue the good work!
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:39   #168
BHPian

Guna Caves was definitely a great experience then. The day we went down it was just me wifey and 3 college kids from my locality whom we met a little earlier at Pillar rocks. The climb down was scary and treacherous as the path that was slippery from overnight drizzles. At least at two points we thought of turning around but kept going. The actual cave was about 15 minutes walk down and was made up of 3 rocks - one forming the floor of the cave and the other 2 forming the ceiling. To get into the cave, one had to walk along a gaping hole between the rocks - the path at this place was hardly 2 feet wide. This is were many accidents happened later which led to the closure of access.

@CL, did you try going down the path that goes from Moir point into the valley? Or is that one also closed now? This was a path used by the tribals as a shortcut from villages in the valley. And did you make any attempt to go beyond Moir point towards Berijam lake, Fireman's tower (I think that was the name) and Thoppi Thookum Paarai - a rock outcrop with a strong draft from the valley floor that can bring back your hat if you throw it out. These places need Forest Department's permit and the roads are not supposedly great to drive.
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:50   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Devils Kitchen, Guna Caves, I heard that the it is quite a dangerous place, remember one of my friends had a fall but he was lucky with just a fractured arm, looking forward to the rest of travelogue, nice pictures of the pine forest, like the one where the tree shows its roots, looks like snakes. Cool continue the good work!
Majic, each place has its own dangers. Guna caves is dangerous because it is pitch dark inside, slippery and has huge gorges everywhere. If anyone goes inside without proper lights and shoes, a fatal fall is almost guaranteed.

In my opinion, everyone should know their limits. A person without any experience in climbing mountains or rocks should never attempt to conquer places like Guna caves.

Those people themselves created the accidents. We cannot blame the place alone.

For your information, we saw one youngster falling down from the tree roots. Maybe he was trying to be a Tarzan. Didn't you see the snap? That place is so slippery. He was still crying out in pain when we left. I am sure he had a foot fracture. And one more thing, he was wearing chappals!!

So if a person is not careful and tries to cross his limits, he can meet with a fatal accident in his own backyard!

@naganathan. We wanted to go to Berijam lake. But decided against it as our icecream guy told us that the route was bad after the rains. I did not want to test my tyres again!

We did not go inside the forest near Moir point.

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd October 2009 at 20:10. Reason: back-to-back within 20 minutes
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2009, 11:28   #170
BHPian

Yes i do agree with you, safety should be everyones prime concern especially if the area is known for it. Do continue diong the good work
Old 24th October 2009, 13:01   #171
Senior - BHPian

Good travelogue.I Log in daily to see if the chevy lover has updated. Kodai good photos.
Old 24th October 2009, 15:10   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Good travelogue.I Log in daily to see if the chevy lover has updated. Kodai good photos.
Though too late, welcome to TBHp, looks like we both got hooked to CL's logs. He is in the process of fine tuning his works.
Old 24th October 2009, 15:15   #173
Senior - BHPian

The Final Frontier!!!

After finishing off all the important points, we returned back to the city. We were quite tired after the long walks at different points. We went to our favourite Tibetan restaurant and had a delicious Chinese lunch.

After our lunch and a well deserved rest, we decided to go for boating. There were lots of private and government run boat houses around the lake. We decided to go to TTDC Boat Club. We hired a row boat. The boatman rowed us around the lake and also gave us interesting information about the owners of some of the beautiful bungalows there.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake_-west-end.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake_a-bungalow-being-renovated_recently-sold-another-superstar_name-starts-m.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake_a-nice-little-bungalow.jpg

Name:  a Kodai Lake_another view.JPG
Views: 3721
Size:  166.7 KB

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake_another-view-our-boat.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake_bungalow-said-owned-superstar.jpg

He also took some good snaps of my Wifey and I. We really enjoyed the boat ride.
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake_boating_chevy-couple.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake_pedal-boating.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake_shikara-pedal-boat.jpg

We saw a small duckling swim past us. She was over speeding!!!
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake_a-duckling.jpg

We could capture some wonderful views and also got some awesome snaps of the clouds. I think I have a fascination towards clouds. Ever since ‘I walked on the Clouds’ in Bhutan, I spend hours trying to photograph different cloudscapes, wherever I go!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake_sky.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake_sky-cloudy.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake_ttdc-boat-club-left.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake_view-cloudy-sky.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-kodai-lake_cloudy-sky.jpg

After our stint with the boat ended, we went back to where we had parked our car. Our Chevy was patiently waiting for us.
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-b-kodai-lake_chevy-wifey.jpg

We wanted to try something adventurous. We hired a Tandem cycle from a vendor near the Tibetan shops, near Bryant’s Park. I knew that I would not be able to cycle for long distances due to a past hamstring injury which had also forced me to quit football.

We decided to cycle till the TTDC boat house and then return. I took the front seat and Wifey jumped in behind me. She was not too sure of her balance.

We started pedalling and enjoyed feeling the cool air caressing our faces. I pedalled at a leisurely pace. But I was surprised to see that the cycle was speeding down the incline. I stopped pedalling and thought of cruising. But there was no change in the speed. I turned back to see what my better half was doing. I was shocked to see her pedalling furiously with all her might.

I burst out laughing and told her to slow down and to follow my rhythm. She told me that she pedalled fast to avoid any strain on my leg. She also feared that we might lose our balance if the cycle slowed down. I was very touched by her concern.

We finally reached the boat house and parked our ‘limousine’ and had tea and snacks. The shopkeepers were smiling when they saw us. They had been seeing us coming in our Chevy to have ice creams almost everyday. It must have been a funny sight seeing us cycle.

We returned back to the cycle shop. The vendor took our snaps with our steed.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-b-kodai-lake_cycling-tandem-b.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-b-kodai-lake_cycling-tandem.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-b-kodai-lake_cycling-tandem-.jpg

We were really happy that we could finally conquer ‘the final frontier’!!! Whenever my wifey mentioned that she wanted to cycle, I had always backed out!

We then returned to the town. I captured an amazing sunset. I had never seen anything like that!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-kodai-city-circle.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-kodai-city_a-peculiar-cloud.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-kodai-city_amazing-sunset.jpg

We had a continental dinner from Hotel Hill Top’s bakery. Wifey was very happy with our experiences that day. Her smile said it all!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-wifey-inside-chevy.jpg

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 24th October 2009 at 15:29.
Old 24th October 2009, 15:29   #174
BHPian

Really touching that your wife was really concern about your injury. I think probably the next travelogue would be on a cycle ( just kidding), CL splendid work, signing out for the weekend looking more in the coming week.
Old 24th October 2009, 17:08   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Really touching that your wife was really concern about your injury. I think probably the next travelogue would be on a cycle ( just kidding), CL splendid work, signing out for the weekend looking more in the coming week.
Dear Majic, thank you very much for being so loyal to my travelogue.

I love reading your comments and I put in that extra bit of effort in my writing, knowing that you really enjoy my narration. I promise to make my thread as interesting as possible. It is because of readers like you, that I spend close to five hours a day fine tuning my narration and uploading my photos.

Coming back to your comment, I never realised that wifey remembered about my recurring injury, till I saw her pedalling like crazy. If she was in a race, she would have beaten Lance Armstrong too!!! She was absolutely brilliant that day!

I will think of a cycling trip next time, if you promise to bear my hospital expenses! I might require a surgery if I mess up my Hamstring again!

I don't know if anyone else is really enjoying my thread. I see very little responses from others.

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 24th October 2009 at 17:12.
Old 24th October 2009, 22:48   #176
BANNED

I hope & wish that you- with your spirited attitude & having a smiling wife would go far & further. I remember reading a line from bible on the wall of a church (giving here the rough translation)
"with your words- as the lamp for my legs & light for my path-i move ahead " .
Old 25th October 2009, 18:36   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
I don't know if anyone else is really enjoying my thread. I see very little responses from others.

Dear CL,

Trust me your posts are lively and thanks a lot for taking such an immense effort.

It took me and my fiancée almost all 5 hours to read the complete thread along with some wonderful pictures.

All along we were imagining ourselves in those pictures. Thanks a lot for inspiring to take a long trip shortly.

Regards,

Vikram

Last edited by vikram.vns : 25th October 2009 at 18:47.
Old 25th October 2009, 18:48   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapath View Post
I hope & wish that you- with your spirited attitude & having a smiling wife would go far & further. I remember reading a line from bible on the wall of a church (giving here the rough translation)
"with your words- as the lamp for my legs & light for my path-i move ahead " .
Thank you very much, Shapath. Yes, God was with us throughout our journey watching over us. We could get out of some tricky situations unharmed!
Old 26th October 2009, 08:41   #179
BHPian

Hey CL
Ive been a silent vistor to this thread...
Beautiful narration.. very very intresting... Trust me...
Thanks... waiting for more...
Cheers.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:22   #180
BHPian

Hey CL, Thanks for the spirited reply, i think i can take care of the hospital bills, please bear with it and take a medical insurance in advance. Nice going throug all your threads. Please dont feel depressed, actually the number of strikes of 7000+ is something that is commendable and also the 5 Star rating status is also something not easy to recieve. There are a lot readers who enjoy reading your work and seldom write a note on it. The best of all is that there are a spirited group of ardent fans (like me) refreshing the threads every 5-10 minutes to see if there is anything else posted. Cheer up and continue doing the good work, you still have to take us to Ooty and then back to Pune! Carry on!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks