Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 22:27   #226
Senior - BHPian

An encounter with a NANO…

An encounter with a NANO…..

We decided to go back to our hotel after our lunch. We came down to the junction at the end of the commercial street and took a right turn to join the road to our hotel, which also leads to the Railway station and Boat House.

We were just about one kilometre away from our hotel, when we saw a very rare sight! It was a NANO! The first NANO in Ooty!
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-n-first-nano-ooty.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-n-first-nano-ooty-.jpg

We took some snaps of the car when we drove past! But I was not at all satisfied with the photos we clicked. So I turned around and drove along that road at least five times and helped wifey capture some great shots!!!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-n-nano-front-view.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-n-nano-front-view-.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-n-nano-ooty.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-n-nano-rear-view.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-n-nano-side-view.jpg
Name:  n Nano side view b.JPG
Views: 3179
Size:  89.6 KB

By this time, a small crowd had gathered to ogle at the cheapest car in the world!
Old 29th October 2009, 22:31   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
An encounter with a NANO…..
Wow!!! Thats a surprise and lol at your driving again and again to capture pics . The Nano is a major celebrity and draws crowds everywhere.

A co-incidence, the car is parked outside the same hotel we stopped for lunch during our bike trip to Ooty and before proceeding to Masinagudi.
Old 30th October 2009, 01:15   #228
Senior - BHPian

Later that evening, when the sky cleared, we went back to the lake again. We roamed around the boat club and the small park there. There was also an Amusement Park at the end of the wharf.
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-lake-1.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-b-ooty-lake-2.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-ooty-lake-3.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-ooty-lake_boating.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-ooty-lake-4.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-f-ooty-lake-5.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-g-ooty-lake_park-near-.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-h-ooty-lake_wharf.jpg
Name:  i Ooty Lake_Wharf 2.JPG
Views: 2810
Size:  174.5 KB
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-j-ooty-lake_amusement-park.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-j-ooty-lake_park-view.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-k-ooty-lake_way-amusement-park.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-l-ooty-lake_park-wharf.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-m-park-near-lake.jpg

We then went inside the Amusement Park.
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-n-amusement-park_tora-tora-5.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-n-amusement-park_tora-tora.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-n-amusement-park_tora-tora-2.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-n-amusement-park_tora-tora-3.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-n-amusement-park_tora-tora-4.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-n-amusement-park_tora-tora-6.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-o-dashing-cars.jpg

We liked the Bull Challenge alot. A person had to cling on to the back of the mechanical bull for 3 minutes, to win free tickets to other rides in the park.

One boy was a really good fighter. He managed to cling on to the bull for close to two minutes.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-p-bull-challenge_holding-somehow.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-p-bull-challenge_holding-somehow-1.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-p-bull-challenge_holding-somehow-2.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-p-bull-challenge_holding-somehow-3.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-p-bull-challenge_holding-somehow-4.jpg
Name:  p Bull Challenge_holding on somehow 5.JPG
Views: 2455
Size:  255.1 KB
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-p-bull-challenge_holding-somehow-6.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-p-bull-challenge_holding-somehow-7.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-p-bull-challenge_holding-somehow-8.jpg
Old 30th October 2009, 01:34   #229
Senior - BHPian

The local cowboy......

Our local cowboy fought heroically with his entire valor. It was like a real rodeo fight!!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-q-bull-challenge_holding-somehow-1.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-q-bull-challenge_holding-somehow-2.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-q-bull-challenge_holding-somehow-3.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-q-bull-challenge_holding-somehow-4.jpg

We egged him on vociferously.

After some anxious moments, finally, the bull won!!!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-r-i-cannot-hold-any-longerrrrrrrr.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-s-bull-defeated-me.jpg
Old 30th October 2009, 09:51   #230
BHPian

Hey CL, Sorry i missed the thread for two days , i am enjoying every moment of it please do continue posting !
Old 30th October 2009, 10:26   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Hey CL, Sorry i missed the thread for two days , i am enjoying every moment of it please do continue posting !
Hey Majic, welcome back. I was wondering where you were! Did you like the bull fight?
Old 30th October 2009, 11:46   #232
BHPian

Did you try the ooty train trip to coonoor. You will come across some breathtaking scenaries enroute.
Old 30th October 2009, 12:18   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Gansan, let it be a suspense. I will reveal more as the story progresses.....
Dear Rotorhead, My answer to your question is the same one I gave Gansan. I will reveal more when the travelogue progresses day by day. Why kill the suspense?? Thank you for your patience!
Old 30th October 2009, 15:35   #234
BHPian

Dear CL,
I would like to congratulate you on your excellent travelogue. It gives the feeling to the reader of virtually being there with you for the trip. Came across this thread just this morning in office (dont tell my boss!) and finally reached the last post.

Just one curiosity wrt your fuelling up habits. I noticed that several times you mentioned that you filled up for XXX bucks of fuel, but never a full tank at one shot.

Is there any specific reason for doing this, as normally one would tank up at one shot which ensures that the fuel evaporation is less and also a better fuel efficiency?
-Varun
Old 30th October 2009, 15:49   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarunM View Post
Dear CL,
I would like to congratulate you on your excellent travelogue. It gives the feeling to the reader of virtually being there with you for the trip. Came across this thread just this morning in office (dont tell my boss!) and finally reached the last post.

Just one curiosity wrt your fuelling up habits. I noticed that several times you mentioned that you filled up for XXX bucks of fuel, but never a full tank at one shot.

Is there any specific reason for doing this, as normally one would tank up at one shot which ensures that the fuel evaporation is less and also a better fuel efficiency?
-Varun
Dear Varun,

I am surprised that you noticed this point, which no one else did. I will explain the reason behind this type of refilling.

I always try my best to fill up from HP, BP or Shell. When I see a pump belonging to these companies, I fill up fully. But if my fuel level goes below mid level, and if I do not see any of my preferred pumps, I fill up just 10 or 15 litres from an IOC or IBP pump, which is available.

I then tank up fully when I see my preferred pumps later. But I made an exception and filled up fully from an IOC pump at Dindigul.

I do not worry too much about fuel efficiency, because I drive fast and it is bound to come down!
Old 30th October 2009, 16:32   #236
Senior - BHPian

Trip to Coonoor...

We spent some more time in the boat club. Later that evening, we went back to the city and parked our car at Charring Cross. Then we went to Hotel Charring Cross and had our supper from their Chinese restaurant, Shogun. We really enjoyed the food.

After our dinner, we went for a stroll in the streets. We enjoyed the cool breeze tremendously. We were happy that the rain had ceased completely.

We went back to our hotel and retired for the night by 10 pm.

Day 13 – Coonoor & Ooty

We woke up early on day 13 of our trip. We had planned to go to Coonoor and go to Dolphin’s Nose and Lamb Rock that day. I had been to both these places nine years back with a conducted tour group. I especially remember that the roads were in a wretched condition then. So I decided not to go there in our Chevy. I knew that we could get government buses or taxis to those points.

We had breakfast from our hotel and hired an auto to the Bus stand. We reached the bus stand by 10 am.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-b-express-bus.jpg

We could immediately get seats in an express bus which was about to depart to Coimbatore. We took tickets to Coonoor @ Rs. 8 per pax.

The bus journey was very pleasant. The seats were comfortable too. Our driver was an expert and drove fast, but without taking any risks.

Just before reaching Coonoor, we got a fright. A Sumo, coming uphill, overtook a truck and came directly in front of our bus. The Sumo driver panicked and swerved sharply to his left. But he could not get out of our way because of the truck right behind him. The sumo stopped just inches away from the front bumper of our bus.
Our driver had to brake really hard. He immediately reversed the bus a little to save the Sumo. Our driver’s presence of mind was commendable! He was really furious and stuck his head out to shout at the Sumo driver. But the Sumo escaped somehow through the small gap. We were happy that nothing untoward happened to anyone!

We reached Coonoor by 10:45 am. We walked to the bus stand inside the town and enquired about buses to Dolphin’s nose. We were depressed to hear that the next bus was at 1:15 pm. We had to kill time, so we decided to visit Sim’s Park. We hired an auto from the stand and after a ten minute drive uphill, reached the park. We were not at all impressed by the park. We felt that Ooty’s Botanical Garden was much better!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-sims-park-ooty.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-sims-park-ooty-2.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-sims-park-ooty-3.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-f-sims-park-ooty-4_beautiful-flower.jpg

We decided not to waste any more time at Sim’s Park and returned to Coonoor town in another auto. We made our way downhill and got out of the auto near the Police help post.

We were a bit hungry by now and decided to have an early lunch. We walked to the heart of the town and had a typical south Indian meal from a small hotel.

We then returned back to the bus stand and started our long vigil for the bus to Dolphin’s nose.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-bus-stand-ooty.jpg

Finally, after waiting for over an hour, the bus came to the stand. A huge crowd gathered around its entrance in seconds and the bus filled up in a minute. Some guys were clearly not interested in taking the normal way to go inside the bus. So they climbed in through the windows and one guy even had the audacity to ask the driver to move aside, so that he could enter the bus!!!

I decided not to even try for a seat in the overflowing bus. And we definitely did not desire to travel on the bus’s roof.

We decided to go back to Ooty and walked back to the highway. I thought of going back to Ooty in the famous toy train. But the train was scheduled to depart at 4 pm. We were in no mood to cool our heels inside the train station.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-g-coonoor-station_locomotive_100-years-old.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-h-coonoor-station_nilgiri-train.jpg

So we walked back to the bus stop and were lucky to get an express bus to the top almost immediately.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-i-bus-back-ooty.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-i-bus-interior.jpg

We reached Ooty at 3 pm after an uneventful ride.

Last edited by Dippy : 30th October 2009 at 18:38.
Old 30th October 2009, 16:35   #237
BHPian

Great CL, i have just been held up for 2 days and it feels like i have been missing something. Good photos of the thread garden and also other photos of Ooty. Continue doing the good work!
Old 30th October 2009, 17:19   #238
Senior - BHPian

We returned back to our hotel and soon Chevy roared to life. Our next point was the CSI Church. We passed through the city centre again and crossed the traffic signal. We reached the church after a five minute drive uphill. We liked the church a lot because of the 19th century construction. We also got a good view of the city from the Church.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-i-city-centre_traffic-signal.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-j-csi-church-ooty.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-k-csi-church-ooty-.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-l-csi-church-ooty_chevy.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-m-csi-church-ooty-b.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-n-csi-church-ooty.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-o-chevy.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-p-wifey-photographing.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-q-view-city-church.jpg
Old 30th October 2009, 17:47   #239
BHPian

Nice pictures of the church,, i hope the English service is still there?
Old 30th October 2009, 17:56   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Nice pictures of the church,, i hope the English service is still there?
Yes Majic. They have an English service on Sunday mornings at 8am.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks