Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2009, 02:57   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Awesome!! Amazing!! Extraordinary!!.. I am running out of adjectives CL..!! You are an avid traveler and an even better writer and photographer. I went thru all the 14 pages in one shot today and was hooked to it since morning. Did not browse thru anything else on TBhp today.

Hats off my friend!! You have found one more fan following your thread amongst all the others.
Dear Abhinav, thank you so much for your kind words. I am honoured when people appreciate my work.

I am happy that the five hours I spend per day, to write and fine tune my travelogue, has paid rich dividends. Your appreciation is the right motivation for me to make the upcoming events more enjoyable and gripping! I hope I can continue to do justice to my travelogue in future too.

I hope you will read my travelogue on Bhutan too! I spent more than 560 man hours fine tuning that story and photos!
Old 28th October 2009, 17:25   #212
Senior - BHPian

Day 12 – Ooty sight seeing!

Day 12 – Ooty sight seeing!

We woke up very invigorated and in high spirits that day. We had decided to start our exploration from that day.

Ooty was quite big, unlike Kodai. So we decided to go everywhere in our Chevy. It was not feasible to walk or to hire local transport in Ooty.

After we finished a sumptuous breakfast from our hotel, we left for the lake by 9 am. We reached the lake in ten minutes time. We parked our car and took some snaps.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-parking-area_ooty-lake.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-beautiful-tree-near-ooty-lake.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-parking-area_ooty-lake-.jpg

We were about to take tickets to go inside the boat club, when it started to drizzle. So instead of going inside the boat club, we walked straight to the Thread Garden, which was on the road opposite to the lake. We were wonderstruck when we went inside the garden!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-b-thread-garden_what-actually.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-b-thread-garden_notice.jpg

Inside the Thread Garden were a variety of flowers and plants made out of silk thread. The flowers and leaves were hand embroidered and not a single needle was ever used. They informed us that they were awaiting certification from the Guinness Book of World Records and that the Limca Book of Records had already recognized their Garden as the only one of its kind in India!!!

The thread Garden was truly a spectacular creation of fifty brilliant lady artists. I was told that it took them twelve years to make all the flowers in the garden!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_beautiful-flowers.jpg
And they used 6 crore metres of silk thread!!!

I will let my photos do the narration, as no words can really do justice to its beauty!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden-.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden-b.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_bamboo.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_beautiful-flowers-.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_beautiful-flowers-b.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_beautiful-flowers-c.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_beautiful-flowers-d.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_beautiful-flowers-e.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_beautiful-flowers-f.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_beautiful-flowers-g.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_beautiful-flowers-h.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_beautiful-flowers-i.jpg
Name:  c Thread Garden_beautiful flowers j.JPG
Views: 3980
Size:  305.0 KB
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_beautiful-flowers_anthorium.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_pond.jpg

There were Neelakurinji (Strobilanthes Kunthiana) flowers in the garden. This flower is very rare and it blooms only once every twelve years! The species name Kunthiana has been derived from the River Kunthi which flows through the rich expanse of the renowned Silent Valley National Park in Kerala. It looks light blue in the earlier stages of blooming. Neela means blue in Malayalam language and Kurinji is the local name of the flower.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_neela-kurinji.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-thread-garden_neela-kurinji_blooms-once-every-twelve-years.jpg
Old 28th October 2009, 19:46   #213
Senior - BHPian

Drive in the ghats....

We spent an hour in the Thread Garden. We also bought a souvenir (silk flowers) from their shop. When we got out of the garden, the drizzle had turned to a huge downpour. We got a panoramic view of the lake from our high view point.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-view-lake.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-view-lake-.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-view-lake-b.jpg

We spent half an hour waiting for the shower to end. But it showed no signs of relenting.

So instead of wasting time just staring at the dark skies and the puddles of dirty water forming on the road, we decided to go for a drive. We had not been able to get a good view of the highway, the previous night, as it was quite dark. So we thought of utilising the time.

Before long, we were on the highway to Coonoor. The road was wet and slippery. I drove at a leisurely pace of just 50 km/hr. Soon the road and hills were enveloped in mist. There was only sparse traffic on the road.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-entrance-ooty.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-exit-route-ooty-town.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-highway-coonoor.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-highway-coonoor-b.jpg
Name:  e Highway to Coonoor c.JPG
Views: 4408
Size:  139.5 KB
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-highway-coonoor-d.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-highway-coonoor-e.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-highway-coonoor-f.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-highway-coonoor-g.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-highway-coonoor-h.jpg
Name:  e Highway to Coonoor i.JPG
Views: 4230
Size:  217.0 KB
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-highway-coonoor_mist-covered.jpg

We went down hill for about ten kilometres or so. By this time the mist had thickened and the rain became heavier, so we turned back and returned to Ooty.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-f-highway-ooty-.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-f-highway-ooty-b.jpg
Old 28th October 2009, 21:58   #214
Senior - BHPian

Drive in the city...and an encounter with an Olympic sprinter...

We reached Ooty town and drove around the streets. We went to the Commercial Street, took the road to Botanical Garden and then again came back to the city. It was so much fun driving in a small town like Ooty and I took the circuit again and again.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-f-ooty-entrance.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-g-ooty-bus-stop.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-g-ooty-entrance-board.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-g-ooty-entrance_bus-stop.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-g-ooty-town.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-g-ooty-town-b.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-g-road-botanical-garden.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-h-botanical-garden-gate.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-h-botanical-garden-gate-b.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-h-botanical-garden-gate-c.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-h-fruit-vendor.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-h-road-garden.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-h-shops-near-garden.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-h-way-back-city-garden.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-j-traffic-signal.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-j-traffic-signal-.jpg

Name:  j Way to Mysore after Traffic signal.JPG
Views: 3839
Size:  188.5 KB

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-k-city-centre.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-k-commercial-street-b.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-k-commercial-street-entrance.jpg

Finally we decided to have lunch. We drove to Commercial Street again. We were looking for a good parking place, when we saw a gentleman crossing the road, looking at the other side. He was totally oblivious about our approaching car. I honked twice. The gentleman was startled. He looked at Chevy and took to his heels like a rabbit and crossed the road in 1.5 seconds flat!!!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-k-commercial-street_man-bolting-when-i-blasted-my-horn.jpg

We couldn’t control our laughter when we saw that man gallop like an Olympic sprint champion.

Soon we had tasty Biriyanis for lunch. We had enjoyed our drive tremendously. And the lunch break was a welcome break from the non-stop excitement.
Old 28th October 2009, 21:59   #215
BHPian

Chevy lover..very beautiful travelogue there. I am not sure how I missed this travelogue. I thoroughly enjoyed going through your entire travelogue this evening. Thank You. The pictures are very beautiful and hill stations in monsoons is indeed mesmerising. Out of the 2 hill statons (Ooty and Kodaikanal) which do you think is more beautiful?? (I know thts a tough one)

I have been to both these places and it brought back wonderful memories of the places there. Wish you many more such wonderful trips. Happy driving!!!
Old 28th October 2009, 22:33   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Chevy lover..very beautiful travelogue there. I am not sure how I missed this travelogue. I thoroughly enjoyed going through your entire travelogue this evening. Thank You. The pictures are very beautiful and hill stations in monsoons is indeed mesmerising. Out of the 2 hill statons (Ooty and Kodaikanal) which do you think is more beautiful?? (I know thts a tough one)

I have been to both these places and it brought back wonderful memories of the places there. Wish you many more such wonderful trips. Happy driving!!!
Thank you very much, dear Dreamdiesel. I hope the impending episodes will keep you glued to my travelogue for some time to come.

I personally like Ooty more. For a first timer, Ooty will appear very crowded. It will take 2-3 days for a person/couple to settle down. Then Ooty is very very enjoyable. On the other hand, Kodai is naturally beautiful, but is quite small and you won't have anything to do in 3 days.

Thanks for your good wishes once again!

To my dear readers. coming up soon is our surprising NANO encounter.....
Stay glued....

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 28th October 2009 at 22:35.
Old 29th October 2009, 07:28   #217
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics and narration,CL! BTW the Kurinji bloom is called the same in Tamil also. It is a special attraction at Kodai once every 12 years. There is a Murugan (Subramanya) temple at Kodai which is called "Kurinji Andavar Temple" from where the Palani temple can be viewed when the weather is clear. There will be a board displaying when the next blooming season will be.

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&sou...y0HoanhwDf9ZlQ

History of Kodaikanal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Gansan : 29th October 2009 at 07:32.
Old 29th October 2009, 09:40   #218
Team-BHP Support

Nice snaps. Reminds me when I was there three months back, just before the monsoon. We were able to make it just in time, as the Monsoon had got delayed.

Did not go to Connoor on purpose. Saving it for another visit !
Old 29th October 2009, 14:04   #219
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much for the links, Gansan. We could not visit the Kurinji Andavar temple in Kodai due to heavy showers. We want to make a trip to Munnar, the next time the flower blooms!

@Ampere, nice to know that you liked my photos. It was really a terrific experience driving in the rains in Ooty.

The next time you go to the Nilgiris, make sure you visit Dolphin's Nose and Lamb Rock. These points are excellent. I have clicked some wonderful photos of these places, which I will be posting as the story progresses!
Old 29th October 2009, 14:48   #220
BHPian

Excellent Photographs about Ooty. Incidentally Ootacamund or Ooty as this town is popularly called as is the district headquarters of Nilgiris district. Nilgiris (blue mountain) has 3 other major towns - Coonoor, Kotagiri and Gudalur.

I did my schooling in Ooty and I always cherish the memories of Nilgiris. Your photographs brought back a flood of memories.
Old 29th October 2009, 16:08   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Thank you very much for the links, Gansan. We could not visit the Kurinji Andavar temple in Kodai due to heavy showers. We want to make a trip to Munnar, the next time the flower blooms!

@Ampere, nice to know that you liked my photos. It was really a terrific experience driving in the rains in Ooty.

The next time you go to the Nilgiris, make sure you visit Dolphin's Nose and Lamb Rock. These points are excellent. I have clicked some wonderful photos of these places, which I will be posting as the story progresses!

In fact I am also a railway fanatic. When we were in Ooty; after our day's sightseeing, I left my wife and baby at the hotel to take rest. Walked around 2km to the station through a small hillock and took many snaps of the station. It was pity that there were no trains at that hour. I came back empty handed on the train front. But the station was real fun to visit.

Last edited by ampere : 29th October 2009 at 16:09.
Old 29th October 2009, 16:15   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In fact I am also a railway fanatic. When we were in Ooty; after our day's sightseeing, I left my wife and baby at the hotel to take rest. Walked around 2km to the station through a small hillock and took many snaps of the station. It was pity that there were no trains at that hour. I came back empty handed on the train front. But the station was real fun to visit.
Have you travelled by the NMR from Mettupalayam? It is quite an experience but will take longer to reach Ooty than by road. Be sure to get a first class ticket and take the first row seat in the first coach. Then you will have a very panoramic view since the loco will be at the rear of the train. It has a lot of history and is a UNESCO world heritage site too!

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&sou...SYEBhqBZRCGcSg
Old 29th October 2009, 16:36   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Have you travelled by the NMR from Mettupalayam? It is quite an experience but will take longer to reach Ooty than by road. Be sure to get a first class ticket and take the first row seat in the first coach. Then you will have a very panoramic view since the loco will be at the rear of the train. It has a lot of history and is a UNESCO world heritage site too!

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&sou...SYEBhqBZRCGcSg
Gansan, let it be a suspense. I will reveal more as the story progresses.....
Old 29th October 2009, 16:42   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Gansan, let it be a suspense. I will reveal more as the story progresses.....
Hey, OK! So something is in store apart from the Nano encounter!

My post was addressed at ampere as he said he is fond of railways!
Old 29th October 2009, 17:35   #225
Team-BHP Support

I have done New Jalpai guri to Darjeeling and my wife has done the Ooty stretch. So we chose to drive this time. Once the kiddo grows we will do it one more time.

Here attached is the station snap.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-dsc02430.jpg

PS: CL sorry to reveal something out !

Last edited by ampere : 29th October 2009 at 17:38.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks