Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 11:30   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Pls avoid using this route if possible for atleast 1 year as the NH 67 widening work is on.If coming from Sale/bangalore stick to Namakkal- musiri-thottiyam- trichy.
tnx

I agree.. this is more scenic and wonderful to drive..I do blr-Trichy every month. And never get tired of doing the NH-7 stretch.. Simply superb..I am not a particular night driver but i confide in the NH7 and its reliability..

Chevy_lover.. What projector's are those.. I am plannin to get them for my ikon...and what horn were you referring to '118 decibel"!!!!!
Old 27th October 2009, 12:09   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
I agree.. this is more scenic and wonderful to drive..I do blr-Trichy every month. And never get tired of doing the NH-7 stretch.. Simply superb..I am not a particular night driver but i confide in the NH7 and its reliability..

Chevy_lover.. What projector's are those.. I am plannin to get them for my ikon...and what horn were you referring to '118 decibel"!!!!!
lancersfx, they are Hella Comet 500 projectors. You can get smaller Hella 450 projectors for your Ikon. Light throw is almost the same. My horns are Hella Red Grill. Extremely loud!

@ Majic, thanks for your patience. Travelogue will continue shortly.
Old 27th October 2009, 12:43   #198
Senior - BHPian

Finally.... Ooty..

We continued our ascent and shortly passed through Coonoor. It was still drizzling and I had to cut down on speed. There was a line of vehicles climbing the hills and we had to wait patiently for a chance to overtake. We were doubly cautious after the incident with the bus. I was really upset as that incident could have spoiled the entire trip.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-ghat-ooty-f.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-ghat-ooty-g.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-ghat-ooty_traffic-jam.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-ghat-ooty-.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-ghat-ooty_coonoor-junction.jpg

We reached Ooty by 6:30pm. The city had changed tremendously after my last visit and I was truly lost. Ooty had lost its charm after the installation of a traffic signal near the fountain.

I was astonished to reminisce that even Thimpu, the capital of Bhutan, does not have a traffic signal. In fact it is the only capital in the world without traffic signals. I am going off-topic to take my dear Bhp-ians to that magnificent place for a moment.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-i-city-centre.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-p-policemen-thimpu.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-w-thimpu-city-centre.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-x-thimpu-city-centre.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-b-buildings-thimpu.jpg

Now, back to Ooty…

It was quite dark when we reached Ooty. I thought of finding a hotel near the lake as it had a good view. After a lot of driving, mainly because we lost our way lots of times, we checked out some hotels near the lake. They quoted me a shocking price for small, dimly lit rooms. I was not ready to shell out so much for a shabby room. So we returned back to the city and finally checked in into Hotel Nilgiris Inn. The hotel did not have a great view, but the room was very good and had all facilities.

We freshened up quickly and decided to do what we always do whenever we go to a new place. We walk!!

The time was 7:45 pm and we were ravenous. We walked to the junction and had biriyanis and chicken fry from a restaurant. We enjoyed the meal thoroughly. We had ice creams later that night.

We noticed that Ooty was far colder than Kodai. The breeze was bone chilling and we were happy that we were covered from head to toe. At that point of time, all we wanted to do was go to bed.

We were terribly tired after the long drive and I badly needed to calm my nerves after the rendezvous with the ‘bus from hell’! We retired for a well deserved, peaceful sleep by 9:30 pm.
Old 27th October 2009, 12:45   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
lancersfx, they are Hella Comet 500 projectors. You can get smaller Hella 450 projectors for your Ikon. Light throw is almost the same. My horns are Hella Red Grill. Extremely loud!

@ Majic, thanks for your patience. Travelogue will continue shortly.
Hi CL,

Can I Get Some Similar Projectors For My Santro.

Rgrds,

Vikram
Old 27th October 2009, 12:59   #200
BHPian

Wow, the weather was cold ( bone chilling) and you had an ice cream? I think since you have experienced more colder climes you would have been comfortable with ice cream! Frankly i dont remember having an ice cream in Ooty!
Old 27th October 2009, 13:15   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Wow, the weather was cold ( bone chilling) and you had an ice cream? I think since you have experienced more colder climes you would have been comfortable with ice cream! Frankly i dont remember having an ice cream in Ooty!
Hi Majic, frankly speaking, I do not think a single day passes by without us having ice creams. This ritual started right from our honeymoon days in Shimla and Manali.

The coldest place we visited has to be Nainital. We used to have atleast 4-5 Cornettos everyday!
Old 27th October 2009, 13:56   #202
BHPian

Quote:
It's easy to think that ice cream won't feel good in cold weather. It's quite the opposite in reality - ice cream warms up your body and feels great in chilly weather!

I remember when I lived in Baroda, people used to throng a very popular ice cream joint called Dairy Den during winter evenings, all in sweaters, mufflers and shawls. The crowd was always much bigger at Dairy Den in winter than in summer.

On the other hand if the weather is hot and dry, an ice cream will only leave you parched and running for water. The right thing to have in hot weather is a cup of piping hot tea, or a glass of warm (really warm) water. It will make you sweat, but never mind you will feel a lot better.
Old 27th October 2009, 14:54   #203
Senior - BHPian

Day 11

Day 11 – Ooty Botanical Garden

We woke up very late on day 11. We had only one place to visit that day, the Botanical Garden. Wifey was very excited as it was her first visit to Ooty. We got out of the hotel only by 12 pm.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-chevy-wifey-front-our-hotel.jpg

We went to Ooty’s Commercial Street straightaway and had a tasty lunch from a Parsi restaurant there.

After our lunch, we roamed around the street for some time. Then we decided to go to the botanical garden. It was just 2 kms away from the city centre. We parked our Chevy and went inside the garden.

The botanical garden was really beautiful. We were surprised to see so much of greenery all around us. The 55 acre garden is home to about 650 species of plants and trees. It was indeed a pleasure strolling in the lush green lawns of the garden and admiring the stunning variety of flowers, ferns and trees. We took some snaps of the beautiful interiors of the garden.
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-botanical-garden_wifey-near-cannon.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-botanical-garden_beautiful-tree.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-botanical-garden_greenery.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-botanical-garden_greenery-all-around-us.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-botanical-garden_near-entrance.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-botanical-garden_nice-trees.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-botanical-garden_chevy-couple.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-botanical-garden_chevy-couple-2.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-botanical-garden_path-office.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-botanical-garden_peculiar-tree.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-botanical-garden_want-coffee-kettle.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-botanical-garden_way-green-house.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-botanical-garden_wifey.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-b-ooty-botanical-garden_chevy-couple.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-b-ooty-botanical-garden_wifey-near-maple-tree.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-b-ooty-botanical-garden_work-art.jpg

We spent three hours inside the garden. It was 6:20pm when we got out of the garden. As usual I captured a beautiful sunset!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-amazing-sunset.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-amazing-sunset-2.jpg

Later, We went back to the commercial street and had our supper.
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-e-ooty-city-centre.jpg

We then bought some home made chocolates and returned to our hotel. We retired for the night quite early that day, as we were very tired after walking for miles inside the botanical garden.
Old 27th October 2009, 15:30   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
It's easy to think that ice cream won't feel good in cold weather. It's quite the opposite in reality - ice cream warms up your body and feels great in chilly weather!

PJay in, i think i should try this sometime, thanks for sharing the information. So i would defenitely try it the next time i am being to a cold place
Old 27th October 2009, 15:34   #205
BHPian

CL, great information on the ice cream as informed to pjay_in, i would defenitely try this the next time i am somewhere cold. As usal nice photos of the Botanical Gardens, do you know that there used to be a collectors Bunglow in the garden, i dont know if it is there currently!
Old 27th October 2009, 15:43   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CL, great information on the ice cream as informed to pjay_in, i would defenitely try this the next time i am somewhere cold. As usal nice photos of the Botanical Gardens, do you know that there used to be a collectors Bunglow in the garden, i dont know if it is there currently!
Yes Majic, there was a road with restricted entry leading out of the garden. I thought it lead to Raj Bhavan. Or is the Collector's Bungalow? I am not sure!
Old 27th October 2009, 16:05   #207
BHPian

I think its the Collectors Bunglow, because i had the previledge of being inside once long time back, that is almost 20 years back. We had gone there to meet some bigwig friend of my father.
Old 27th October 2009, 21:14   #208
Senior - BHPian

Awesome!! Amazing!! Extraordinary!!.. I am running out of adjectives CL..!! You are an avid traveler and an even better writer and photographer. I went thru all the 14 pages in one shot today and was hooked to it since morning. Did not browse thru anything else on TBhp today.

Hats off my friend!! You have found one more fan following your thread amongst all the others.
Old 27th October 2009, 22:32   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram.vns View Post
Hi CL,

Can I Get Some Similar Projectors For My Santro.

Rgrds,

Vikram
Dear Vikram, I am so sorry I missed your query. I think your post came up late after moderator approval.

There are different sizes of Hella projectors for different uses and cars. Please do a google search for Hella in India. Their website has pics of all projectors available in India.

Hella 450 is square in shape and will suit your Santro. But I am not sure whether it can be fitted inside your bumper. You may need clamps and it may be fitted externally. You will also need heavy duty wiring and a Roots relay. It should be done only by an expert. You would'nt want a complete electrical failure, right?
Old 28th October 2009, 00:41   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
You will also need heavy duty wiring and a Roots relay. It should be done only by an expert. You would'nt want a complete electrical failure, right?
Hi CL,

Your right, last year I upgraded my stock head lamps to 130/100 W instead of 60/55 W at a local car accesorie shop and they placed a cut out to support the upgrade. But within a week of time complete internal wiring burnt out due to a short circuit and I ended up paying 7k to change the complete wiring.

This time I would not take a chance. I will get it done with an expert.

Regards,

Vikram

Last edited by bblost : 28th October 2009 at 16:15. Reason: Font Tags Removed. Please read the announcements section before proceeding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks