Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 12:01   #46
Senior - BHPian

Don't make haste...

A note of caution here - there is riot of colours now, that it becomes difficult to keep your eyes on the road.

So park your vehicle, get down and take everything in slowly by walking around. The left side of the road (remember the picture of the cow / goat herd with a stick across his shoulders?) leads to a distant village. The growth of plants is sparser this side.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-carpet.jpg
The right side - where I had mentioned about a Kutcha road being built - has a good growth of plants. In fact, as you progress down this road you'll see the different varieties coming up one after another....
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-violet.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-carpet-1.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-colors.jpg
We were on the bike - so we could go quite a distance. Cars can make it too - but there are several ditches and rocks on the way - so have to drive carefully.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:24   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Remember, at kaas lake, there is nothing to eat, no hotel , no tapri, nothing.
I sincerely hope it remains that way.

Quote:
Govt of Maharashtra has taken initiative to develop this area as New Mahabaleshwar.[ for details, go to google babu].
After getting this info, lot of people including me and other Rajababues tried to purchase land in this area. We are still hunting the place in this area suitable for investment.
The above is what I was concerned about. Ashish nothing personal and I am not against progress but usually this is generally the beginning of the end of natural beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu;
That's what I did after my first visit in 2008 - went again in 2009. By this time the place was getting popular, and there were some visitors. Some enterprising(!) people had laid a kutcha road in between the plants and there was all sorts of litter - tried to clean up some of the litter, but it requires some dedicated effort to keep it pristine. I am only hoping things haven't turned worse this year...
As the above is what development does especially given our civic sense.

Quote:
But, as Govt of India declared Koyna tiger project, the whole New Mahabaleshwar project has become standstill.
I will not be surprised if the project is de notified after some years and then it will be discovered that the land has already been carved up.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I sincerely hope it remains that way.
The above is what I was concerned about. Ashish nothing personal and I am not against progress but usually this is generally the beginning of the end of natural beauty.
As the above is what development does especially given our civic sense.
I will not be surprised if the project is de notified after some years and then it will be discovered that the land has already been carved up.
As a true nature and wild life lover, i also hope the same but.....i am surprised that govt has started the project at kaas plateau.
some environmentalist opposed the move.
the project is right from base of mahabaleshwar i.e. tapola to kaas-chalkewadi-patan plateau.

chalkewadi plateau is already full of windmill farm. on this plateau, there are more windmills than trees.

project tiger at koyna will be at other side of shivsagar lake but this area comes under buffer zone.
Bhpian COUGAR may have more info in this regard.

no more OT.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:17   #49
MX6
Senior - BHPian

One thing that needs to be mentioned here and re-iterated is that these flowers are all wild. And they bloom miles and miles of the plateau. Their life is shortlived. 3 weeks in all! Much like the famed cherry blossoms of Japan!
Old 11th May 2010, 13:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a true nature and wild life lover, i also hope the same but.....i am surprised that govt has started the project at kaas plateau.

no more OT.
+1 to that.

Fat chance of OT - I have already hijacked this thread (with the due permission of captain) and anybody having similar ideas must pacify me first

Soon, you can no longer restrain yourself....

I won't blame anyone if they break into an impromptu song and dance sequence! No wonder there are so many songs in bollywood films - nature can drive a perfectly normal human being crazy :-)
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-surround.jpg

(Note - Two grown up males dancing / rollicking will give rise different ideas - but you can let your imagination run wild if you were to be there with your wife / girlfriend ....)

and not just riot of colours - but all sizes and shapes.....

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-pink-1.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-pink-3.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-mix.jpg

Name:  blues.jpg
Views: 3163
Size:  263.8 KB

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-cones.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-white-1.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-white.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-yellow.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-pines.jpg

tell the truth, the pictures don't do justice to the real thing.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:44   #51
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thing there vrprabhu. Never thought about that till you pointed out. What were two grown up males doing in kaas where lovers and married couple are expected to do the bollywood jig?

Anyway, I don't see it as a hijack. You went there at the right time. My photos are 10 days late and not much flowers are there. I was wondering where the hell did a million odd flowers disappear in such a short time.
Once you are through with your Kaas photos, I intend to put up the rest of mine, then change the title of this thread and make it as a Marvelous Maharashtra log!
Old 11th May 2010, 14:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

A couple of macros....

A few close ups....

(All those experts and die-hard photography experts out there - please forgive me - this is the best we could do!)

The reason for posting these - just observe the texture of the leaves. These plants survive the whole year, in rain and shine, to prove the MX6's very valid point - the flowers bloom and vanish within three weeks. So you have to be at the right place and right time.
Attached Thumbnails
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-macro-1.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-macro.jpg  

Old 11th May 2010, 16:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

Time to move on...

If you are done with the rollicking, it is time to move ahead , down the Kutcha Road I mentioned earlier.

The way scythes through these plants (god knows how many plants were destroyed in this process....)
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-kutcha.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-kutcha-2.jpg

But the experience is akin to being in a tea estate - the thick growth on either side gives an eerie feeling as you drive - wondorous shapes which only nature can create...

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-shapes.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-fence.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-fence-1.jpg

The sad part was that these plants were yet to bloom...

And in the midst of all these, there was a water body (pond?) on the top of the hill!
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-pond.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-pond-1.jpg

However, we were able to see some additional variety of plants - including a cactus (the fern which has green leaves has a silvery-white coating beneath them)
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-cactus.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-fern.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-lily.jpg
Old 11th May 2010, 18:19   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Once you are through with your Kaas photos, I intend to put up the rest of mine, then change the title of this thread and make it as a Marvelous Maharashtra log!
WOW! nice idea Saar. So another ready reckoner (means another itinerary of a 'nature trip' ) in offing! I, for one, will surely follow this thread as with such nature loving souls are bound to come out with a quality catalog. And only thing left to us will be to get leave at the right time to follow it, take the wheels and drive in there!

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 11th May 2010 at 18:21.
Old 11th May 2010, 18:24   #55
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Yes, there's a lot of driving I've done in maharashtra. Not the level of Ashish Pallod. But many interesting snaps right from elephanta caves till pandharpur!
Old 12th May 2010, 10:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

Almost done...

The path seems to go on and on.... by this time it is well past noon and the stomach is rumbling - for lesser mortals like us, food for thought and feast for the eyes alone may not be sufficient (and, as Ashish Pallod rightly noted there is not a hint of any tapri / dhaba / tea stall or anything similar in the near vicinity!); and, these two bovines - seemingly camera shy - may be giving us a subtle warning not to go ahead!
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-no-entry.jpg

We take the hint - don't want to push our luck and bikes further...

Back at the main road, we think we can postpone our hunger pangs for another hour or so, and see if we can make it ahead to the head / source of the lake. The goat / cow herd had told us that across the water is Tapola, from where one can reach Mahabaleshwar quickly!

The road now winds down and we see the edge of the lake - however, the water body appears to be huge. There is a sign board indicating boating facilities, but not a soul in sight nor any boats; we are unable to find any evidence of a way across the water - actually this appears to be backwaters of a dam (is it the Koyna dam, Ashish?) We conclude that this must be Bamnoli; the clouds are gathering again for an outburst and so we start our return trip ....
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-bamnoli4.jpgMagnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-bamnoli-2.jpgMagnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-bamnoli-3.jpgMagnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-bamnoli-5.jpgMagnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-bamnoli-6.jpg
Old 12th May 2010, 11:07   #57
Senior - BHPian

@Prabhu - pics are amazing. The above one give me a feel of 360 degree view. Is that right or is it my assumption?
Old 12th May 2010, 11:08   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
The road now winds down and we see the edge of the lake - however, the water body appears to be huge. There is a sign board indicating boating facilities, but not a soul in sight nor any boats; we are unable to find any evidence of a way across the water - actually this appears to be backwaters of a dam (is it the Koyna dam, Ashish?) We conclude that this must be Bamnoli;
It is shivsagar lake formed due to backwater of koyna dam.

I wonder, you had taken right path but you had not reached to bamnoli.
Bamnoli is village of moderate size at the bank of lake and yes, there is boating facility round the year.
There are some small eateries serving typical village food.

Way back, in the year 2005, when i was president of my club, i had arranged one day family trip of my club to bamnoli and everyone enjoyed it.
you can cross the lake by boat for vasota fort trek. that will be lifetime experience.

BTW, the pics are very nice.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 12th May 2010 at 11:10.
Old 12th May 2010, 11:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Prabhu - pics are amazing. The above one give me a feel of 360 degree view. Is that right or is it my assumption?
You are right, but the last arc is missing. Failed miserably while executing the panorama / stitch mode

Quote:
It is shivsagar lake formed due to backwater of koyna dam.

I wonder, you had taken right path but you had not reached to bamnoli.

you can cross the lake by boat for vasota fort trek. that will be lifetime experience.

BTW, the pics are very nice.
Thanks, Guru! (for the geography lesson and the appreciation ) May be we gave up a little too early.

You are right about the vasota fort trip (planned for a future date) - actually some of my colleagues had done this trip and they said Forest Dept. permission is required (they stayed overnight in the jungle). Is that so?
Old 12th May 2010, 11:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

@vrprabhu: Very nice photos. You mesmerised me with the snaps that you have put up here. How enchanting can be nature. Very beautiful. Now only if I could just pack up and leave.
will be waiting for MX6 to post his details too.
But must commend you for the pics man!! awesome!!
A thread hijack that has been truly wonderful

Most Viewed