Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 19:45   #196
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
VRP, yes, it does and we may be there in Pune to say a big hello to people like you, MX6 (really likes his critical comments, and sort of 'jara hat ke' independent thoughts/observations), Rahul76 and others, in this June. Coming on a really long drive to south. Leave sanctioned, it'll be June 12-30. May pass through NH4 either for To or fro journey. Sorry for going OT!
Wow. So much stated about me. I better build an aura around me and practise hard. Don't want to let you down when I actually meet you. Anyqay, June 12th or 13th I expect to catch up with you in Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
Let me see if you keep up your word, Will check this thread tomorrow to see these photo's.
Dude. I'm home early. Started work on the photos now. And remember this weekend you are supposed to come home with your family.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:02   #197
Senior - BHPian

Oh, woe betide.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
What are you doing there VRP? I go to conduct an Audit and I come back to see that your geography answer sheet is full of red ink left behind by AP teacher saab.

And Don't push readers for words of encouragement.
I am sorry to tell you that you have miserably failed in the test - you aren't fit to be an auditor if you have to "conduct" it

As far as the second part is concerned, I was just joking. But I get what you mean......

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
VRP, yes, it does and we may be there in Pune to say a big hello to people like you, MX6 (really likes his critical comments, and sort of 'jara hat ke' independent thoughts/observations), Rahul76 and others, in this June. Coming on a really long drive to south. Leave sanctioned, it'll be June 12-30. May pass through NH4 either for To or fro journey. Sorry for going OT!
Welcome, Sir! We are also eager to meet people like you. But June 12th is cutting things too fine - planning to leave for Kerala on June 14th. Let us see how things work out....

Quote:
Let me see if you keep up your word, Will check this thread tomorrow to see these photo's.
Don't dare him, ranjith - God knows what he'll do!! As such he has reached home early...... Grrrrrrrr..... (see my expletives below.. and the time.. I am still in office..)

Quote:
Wow. So much stated about me. I better build an aura around me and practise hard. Don't want to let you down when I actually meet you.
I thought I had already seen one - the aura, I mean.... and I DON'T mean the INDICA VISTA.... he he he he...

But have seen plenty of your other posts, and am sure the expectations are quite high - so now you have to live up with it!!

Audit - smodit #@$%&!!! - have been told to come to office tomorrow, to complete the work. Serves me right for wasting time posting stuff here.... boo hoo... one more day of work, and no additional pay - no nothing except probably 'gaali', because the work is not going to be complete tomorrow.. how do I know? You get a bunch of four / five people to do a work, it never gets done. Give it to one or two, and thud - it lands on your table just as required! I am sure you guys in IT are well experienced with this

Before, I go home, I'll console myself with these... (because - thanks to this job, I landed here in Pune!)

This is what I meant when I said the sun was shining....
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-shimmer.jpg

Now, why the hell didn't I learn swimming - one of the pleasures in life lost.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-water.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-water1.jpg

Places like these make you marvel - how did God find time to create all these things?

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-lone-tree.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-lonetree1.jpg

Now, if only I had an assistant to delegate all these cut and paste jobs......
Old 26th May 2010, 21:10   #198
MX6
Senior - BHPian

It was mid july 3 years back. I was damn bored. Wanted to go somewhere over a weekend. Far from the mad crowds of Mumbai. Let me take the pleasure of introducing two of my friends. Genda and Krppa. Yeah, that's how I call them. We'd been planning with almost 10 friends to go to Lonavala and that never worked out. For Mumbaikars, getting out of Mumbai is an ardent task in itself.
I gave an ultimatum to Genda. We need to go somewhere this weekend. Some place where we can hike or trek.
Krppa was game. When I suggested Lonavala/ khandala, Genda comes back and says, "Lonavala will be crowded. No point in going there".
I protested that I need clean air and greenery. I need a place where I can swing my umbrella and walk around.
Genda said he has a perfect place for me in mind.
"Ambarnath", he said emphatically.
"You mumbaikars must be crazy", I retorted, tapping my temple with my forefinger, just like Obelix.
Ambarnath was the most ludicrous choice I thought, for a peaceful getaway. Did he think I went cuckoo?
But Genda persisted. "Don't worry bhai. You won't be let down".
on the 14th of July, Krppa and I take a local train to Ambarnath from Thane. We felt like Jack-asses. But nevertheless, went ahead.
This is where Ambarnath is. 60 kms from the Chattrapati Shivaji Terminus and 6 kms from Kalyan.
For starters, here's the local train map of Mumbai showing the location Ambarnath
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-ambernath-1.jpg

The aerial view (courtesy google maps) doesn't look good either. Ambarnath looks a typical concrete jungle.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-ambernath-2.jpg

And we took walked from the station to Genda's house and were greated by wonderful filter coffee and some snacks. I said, if at all Genda doesn't deliver what he promised, Only the coffee can save him.
Genda is all smiles, while a bearded Krppa doesn't know how to react.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-1.jpg

Soon we started walking from his home. And boy, 10 mins of walk through some pathetic places, the topography changed dramatically!

@VRP. You went to conduct an Audit too? I went to conduct one too!

Last edited by MX6 : 26th May 2010 at 21:13.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:17   #199
Team-BHP Support

The snaps remind me of the magnificent Kali river around the Anshi Ghats.
Very nice.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:24   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We felt like Jack-asses. But nevertheless, went ahead.

And we took walked from the station to Genda's house and were greated by wonderful filter coffee and some snacks.

@VRP. You went to conduct an Audit too? I went to conduct one too!
We never thought otherwise

Aha, I knew - there has to be mention of food somewhere....

No, I am not so lucky. Actually, somebody else is conducting, and I am just dancing to the tunes...
Old 26th May 2010, 21:34   #201
MX6
Senior - BHPian

There was a quick shower while we sipped aromatic piping hot filter coffee. You can dream of such a thing in Kodagu (coorg). But doing that in Ambarnath was something I never imagined. Suddenly I sensed that Genda is having a couple of tricks rolled up his sleeve.

This is what greeted me as we walked on the single tarred road. Damn I hate the electric poles and the cables. Visual aberrations on an otherwise perfect canvas.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-2.jpg

Me: Where does this road go Genda?
Genda: Up that cliff.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-3.jpg

Me: What's beyond that cliff?
Genda: More cliffs.
Me: Like this?
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-4.jpg
Genda: Like this.

Me: What's that structure there Genda, near that tree?
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-5.jpg
Genda: Some structure.

Let me tell you. Genda is a typical IT guy. He gives 100% correct and concise answers. But they are of no use whatsoever. And you feel like why the hell did you ask the question in the first place.

We crossed a nice lake where kids were spashing their way to glory.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-6.jpg

I couldn't believe that this is just 40 kms from Mumbai International airport and 25 kms from Thane railway station. This place is simply unbelievable. Looking at the kids in water, I felt sad that I didn't get my swimming trunks.
Old 27th May 2010, 09:37   #202
BHPian

@vrp great pics.
@mx6 that was nice find. You were no exception. Nobody would have believed it, that something like this exist in Ambarnath.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:17   #203
Senior - BHPian

Hi MX6, VRPrabhu,

those are some great pictures, i know what MX has posted is near Ambernath, which is the location VRP is posting pictures off.
Can both of you share how to reach there ?

wonderful location, away from the clutter of city life.
thanks for sharing.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:35   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
@mx6 that was nice find. You were no exception. Nobody would have believed it, that something like this exist in Ambarnath.
Roamer, I got to report you - please mind your p's & q's when addressing greats. Since you are a newbie, you are forgiven - on MX6's behalf. Didn't you read his signature.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
which is the location VRP is posting pictures off.
thanks for sharing.
I have already mentioned it at the beginning of this series, I think. Route is like this : Pune - Katraj - Nasrapur - Bhor - Mahad - Raigad - Mangaon - Tamhini - Mulshi - Pirangut - Paud - Pune.

More pictures on the way. But I'll wait for MX6 to complete what seems to be an interesting aside....
Old 27th May 2010, 11:38   #205
BHPian

BTW Anyone has taken the following route?

Ratnagiri - Purnagad -vijaydurg.. This is an interior route.

Not able to find much info on this route. It will be helpful for my upcoming interior konkan ride from Bankot to Banda!
Old 27th May 2010, 12:31   #206
Senior - BHPian

Jugalbandi....

Clash of the titans?

I am thinking how it would look, if we embark on a jugalbandi...

It will definitely clash and readers are bound to be confused - but I can't resist

We tear ourselves away from this spot - after all, the destination is pretty far off and we are not even sure where our journey is going lead us...
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-ahead.jpg

And, the road ahead seems to start climbing and climbing.... brings back the memories of my stay at Rajur - near Akole, Ahmednagar. AP saheb, if you are reading this, can you please help me recollect the name of the ghat after Bhandardara (after Kalsubai) , which goes down and down towards Ghoti/Igatpuri? For those of you who had seen the 'driving in Bolivia' pictures, this will give you an idea how it must be there....
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-bolivia.jpg

Suddenly, we see this - and jam the brakes! And have the most delicious breakfast ever - steaming hot vada pav, kanda (kekda) bajji, delicious tea - straight from the oven...
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-bfast.jpg

Nothing like the rural ambience, the smell of kerosene stove, the items being prepared in your front - to start the saliva flowing.... hehehehe...

Strangely the road is called 'Pandarpur Road' - what is the connection I couldn't fathom....
Old 27th May 2010, 13:03   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Dude. I'm home early. Started work on the photos now. And remember this weekend you are supposed to come home with your family.
Good you kept your promise. But you said 30-40 pics ?

Yap I remember that, was about to PM you today. Bad News wifey working this weekend also . Will call you to let you know further status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Don't dare him, ranjith - God knows what he'll do!! As such he has reached home early...... Grrrrrrrr..... (see my expletives below.. and the time.. I am still in office..)
Yap VRP I will not dare MX, I know he will do it.. it was just a teaser for him.

Quote:
"Ambarnath", he said emphatically.

The aerial view (courtesy google maps) doesn't look good either. Ambarnath looks a typical concrete jungle.
too!
MS is this place still the same, with so much of green around? Its like a Topslip in south ...
Old 27th May 2010, 14:52   #208
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@vrp great pics.
Thanks Roamer. It was a nice find actually. After 3 full years, I'm still unable to believe that it was near Ambarnath. Hardly 20 mins from the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi MX6, VRPrabhu,

those are some great pictures, i know what MX has posted is near Ambernath, which is the location VRP is posting pictures off.
Can both of you share how to reach there ?

thanks for sharing.
Guess VRP is now somewhere near Bhor towards Varandha ghat. I'm yet to see the pics he posted last. For mine, just get off at Ambarnath station and start walking aimlessly.

Quote:
Roamer, I got to report you - please mind your p's & q's when addressing greats. Since you are a newbie, you are forgiven - on MX6's behalf. Didn't you read his signature.........

I have already mentioned it at the beginning of this series, I think. Route is like this : Pune - Katraj - Nasrapur - Bhor - Mahad - Raigad - Mangaon - Tamhini - Mulshi - Pirangut - Paud - Pune.

More pictures on the way. But I'll wait for MX6 to complete what seems to be an interesting aside....
Sorry, been on meetings. It's a medley of stuff here. Lush green Ambarnath and slightly dry Varandha. And don't threaten Roamer. I'm no great.

Quote:
BTW Anyone has taken the following route?

Ratnagiri - Purnagad -vijaydurg.. This is an interior route.

Not able to find much info on this route. It will be helpful for my upcoming interior konkan ride from Bankot to Banda!
When are you planning that? Sounds interesting. And keep your June weekend for Malsejh drive we are all planning with the Great HVK.

Quote:
Good you kept your promise. But you said 30-40 pics ?

Yap I remember that, was about to PM you today. Bad News wifey working this weekend also . Will call you to let you know further status.

Yap VRP I will not dare MX, I know he will do it.. it was just a teaser for him.

MS is this place still the same, with so much of green around? Its like a Topslip in south ...
Actually I have over 60 pics. Just managed to write up only for the few ones. Then slept off. I've managed to compress 60 photos totally. So story will unfold shortly. If wifey is working, no issues, you come home.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:54   #209
Team-BHP Support

I am told lot of houses in Ambarnath are on the hills itself.
Is it true?
Old 27th May 2010, 15:27   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guess VRP is now somewhere near Bhor towards Varandha ghat.
And don't threaten Roamer. I'm no great.
100% on the dot!

Great people never claim themselves to be great - in fact, many have greatness thrust upon them...

Quote:
Nothing like the rural ambience, the smell of kerosene stove, the items being prepared in your front - to start the saliva flowing.... hehehehe...
Not only were we salivating, but we must have been starving too! Because we finished his entire stuff which he cooked in the first batch - which was about 12 vada pav and 5 or 6 plates khanda bajji. The total bill was just Rs. 80/-.

Afterwards, we felt bad - nothing to do with the stomach, but more towards the heart - and I don't mean the bill either. Because, this place where we stopped was actually a bus-stop and there were several people waiting there. The first lot was meant for ALL of us (three of us + four villagers). These village folk never complained about us hogging the whole thing. We said sorry - but they were graceful enough to act as if they weren't waiting for food. Imagine a similar scene in Pune and people waiting for a seat in a hotel - had we jumped the queue, it would have led to fisticuffs!!

Fortified, we now look ahead to the rest of the trip. It was daunting. There were very few vehicles on the road - just a couple of ST buses and three or four jeeps. Made us wonder whether we were on the right route. And the villagers were not very clear about the location of the caves. May be time to brush up my Marathi - my 'leni' (cave) could have sounded like 'loni' (butter)!?
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-distant1.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-distant2.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-distant3.jpg

That was the road we had to take; and the pass we must cross; see this panorama, to give you an idea what I am talking about... we had just climbed the mountain on the right; we have to take the pass which is at the apex of the (inverted) triangle and get down and reach the next range of mountains in the background!
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-distant.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks