Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 14:11   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
1]I did - and this is what we must have done.
Attachment 350286
2]BTW, the road does ahead (right turn before reaching Bamnoli) and goes all the way ahead towards Tapola. So is there a way across the backwaters?

3]And the waters of the Kanher Dam do have a source somewhere in the ghats - and it appears that it has been dammed at the perfect place. Then why bring down water to Satara all the way from Kas Lake?
1] as you reached the pond after taking kachcha road, you may had seen the pond named Tale Sarovar and definitely not kaas.

2] though it is pointed as tapola, you have to cross the water by boat. i need to check the route for tapola from the kaas lake. ideally, there should be a route but that will be too long.

3] kas lake was built way back before kanher dam.
kas lake is at much height compared to satara city level and water flows to city by gravity. in case of kanher dam, it is at the same level of satara city.
at this moment, kas lake is sufficient upto 8 months of water supply to city and rest 4 month water comes from kanher dam.

btw, has anyone visited to the virgin hill station ' toranmal' at the junction of state borders of maharashtra, gujrat and madhyapradesh.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 18th May 2010 at 14:23.
Old 19th May 2010, 11:06   #137
BHPian

The Elephant from Elephanta!

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-elephant.jpg

On the lawn adjacent to the Bhau Daji Lad Museum at Byculla, Mumbai,is the elephant that had given Elephanta caves its name. Apparently the British wanted to transport it to England, but in the process the crane dropped it and was broken into pieces. It was finally restored and placed at the entrance to the museum
Old 19th May 2010, 18:16   #138
Senior - BHPian

Get back, MX6!

Hey, MX6 - we are waiting for you to complete the elephanta caves.... didn't get enough time to do up the pictures or what?

(And quit ribbing unoczar - you guys aren't giving proper time to get his posts through)

BTW, my friend Sitarama says that the pictures of the huge water body (the 360 degree view picture group - a failure) is indeed Kaas lake - and not Bamnoli as I feel; either way another trip to Kas is due now. So all those keen on visiting Kaas - pray for a early start to the monsoon and copious rains. It was 42 degrees in Pune yesterday - and rains will be a welcome relief.

Finally, I have got the next set of pictures of trip ready - I am making it a two in one (just like Kaas and Tosegar)... don't want to start another thread

Last edited by vrprabhu : 19th May 2010 at 18:17.
Old 19th May 2010, 18:45   #139
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, MX6 - we are waiting for you to complete the elephanta caves.... didn't get enough time to do up the pictures or what?
Elephanta is done sir. I'm not finding time to start on my next part of Maharashtra. I shall duly do that in a day or two. So hold your guns till then.
Let's plan a trek to Malsej. Kaas isn't a trek. It's just a walk after a drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
Attachment 350783

On the lawn adjacent to the Bhau Daji Lad Museum at Byculla, Mumbai,is the elephant that had given Elephanta caves its name. Apparently the British wanted to transport it to England, but in the process the crane dropped it and was broken into pieces. It was finally restored and placed at the entrance to the museum
Thanks for the photo of the elephant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
1] as you reached the pond after taking kachcha road, you may had seen the pond named Tale Sarovar and definitely not kaas.
That's a lot of info. My brain is not processing any now. Over a planned t-bhp meet in Kaas, we shall explore all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Good memory you have got. I have taken similar shots of Ellora, but don't remember the story behind it.
Thanks. Temple architecture is another favourite of mine. hence I remember the story behind these. Else, my memory is very poor.

Quote:
MX6, what a beautiful canvas you point. There is an "artistic" flavour in these pictures and words....

Initially I felt bad about hijacking the thread, but it turns out it was one of the best things I have done!!
Well, thanks for your words. And thanks to your kaas pic, some kind readers have hit the 5* button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
MX6 , you sound like my alter ego. I have always had a very strong fascination with the supernatural and the occult. I have gone ghost hunting in several places but never found anything. That is till I saw one in my own room. However my take is that ghosts exist. I have seen one. However, I don't believe that they are spirits of the dead, there is a scientific explanation for apparitions. If there is a relevant thread, I would post my experiences there.
Did the one you spot in your room pop out like a genie? Did you communicate with it/him/her? Does that also like cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post
Very well said MX6...Truly its amazing Maharashtra
Thanks Sir for your kind words.
Old 19th May 2010, 18:49   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post

Well, thanks for your words. And thanks to your kaas pic, some kind readers have hit the 5* button.
Yes, let's!! My feet are itching - see how I am ready for the trip at the mere mention of a trek! Actually, Malshej trek should be over two days, with an overnight stay at Harishchandragad in the caves.

5*?! WoW! Let's celebrate
Old 19th May 2010, 19:22   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a lot of info. My brain is not processing any now. Over a planned t-bhp meet in Kaas, we shall explore all this.
we will definitely go to kas lake in coming sept.

Quote:
BTW, my friend Sitarama says that the pictures of the huge water body (the 360 degree view picture group - a failure) is indeed Kaas lake - and not Bamnoli as I feel; either way another trip to Kas is due now.
Quote:
Actually, Malshej trek should be over two days, with an overnight stay at Harishchandragad in the caves.
malshej definitely need two days.
if harishchandragad is not possible, then trek jivdhan fort.[ please ref my last year malshej ghat travel story named monsoon masti: malshej ghat, jivdhan fort and naneghat].
sadly, my doctor has advised me against any trek in future.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 19th May 2010 at 19:37.
Old 19th May 2010, 19:33   #142
Senior - BHPian

MX6, AP - remember me when you do this Kaas trip. Though September seems to be already booked for a lot of trips, I'll try and work this out for sure
Old 19th May 2010, 19:51   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
MX6, AP - remember me when you do this Kaas trip. Though September seems to be already booked for a lot of trips, I'll try and work this out for sure
Count me in, i am intrested to drive down. I am actually planning to go to Jaisinghpur for some lecture, i woudl like to co-incide with this trip.
Old 19th May 2010, 21:03   #144
Senior - BHPian

Star, then we both can drive down if it falls on a convenient date in September.
Old 19th May 2010, 21:10   #145
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Star, then we both can drive down if it falls on a convenient date in September.
Aha. Someone's smitten. The last two weekends are reserved for the wild flowers of Kaas. So the Malsej trek will have to happen in one of the first two weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Count me in, i am intrested to drive down. I am actually planning to go to Jaisinghpur for some lecture, i woudl like to co-incide with this trip.
Welcome StarVegabond. And bring a cake and keep it a surprise.

Quote:
You are welcome. We are now planning on a trek to Malsej and a kaas trip in the month of sept spread over many weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
we will definitely go to kas lake in coming sept.
malshej definitely need two days.
if harishchandragad is not possible, then trek jivdhan fort.[ please ref my last year malshej ghat travel story named monsoon masti: malshej ghat, jivdhan fort and naneghat].
sadly, my doctor has advised me against any trek in future.
Is there any way of bribing the doctor? Anyway sir, Kas is on during the wild flower season. And we'll take your help in planning the Malsej trek.

Quote:
Yes, let's!! My feet are itching - see how I am ready for the trip at the mere mention of a trek! Actually, Malshej trek should be over two days, with an overnight stay at Harishchandragad in the caves.
5*?! WoW! Let's celebrate
Yes. Not only my feet are itching, I'm going to hit the treadmill from tomorrow to get my weight back below 80. Don't want to huff and puff on my way up. Praying that Laila doesn't suck up what should be a regular monsoon in the rest of India.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:40   #146
Senior - BHPian

Treading The Mill?

Quote:
I'm going to hit the treadmill from tomorrow to get my weight back below 80.
Let's us not disturb / distract MX6 from his huffing and puffing

BTW, hope you had a nice Mumbai trip.

The day-before (Saturday) reached home before 6.00 PM; added bonus, no need to go to office on Sunday (probably the heat in Pune is scaring away potential visitors) - so went for a long drive....

When going on the e-way to Mumbai the huge Vinayaka always used to attract attention. So took the old road toward Mumbai just to have a dekko..

Think the pictures say it all...
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-long.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-left.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-below.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-back.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-above.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-full.jpg
Sorry for the bad quality pictures - it was between 6.45 and 7.15 PM when we were there.

But I liked this most of all...
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-vahan.jpg

Nice panoramic view of Talegaon, Dehu, the old Mumbai-Pune highway, the new e-way - must look even more better after it rains...
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-old.jpg
Name:  MUM.JPG
Views: 2030
Size:  88.4 KB
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-eway.jpg

Nice place. Well maintained. Clean. Not many people around. Windy and peaceful...

Can anyone explains the things which he is holding in hand? One, of course, is the modak
Old 24th May 2010, 15:11   #147
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The meet was a blast. Sad you couldn't make it. How about a trek up Monkey hill during the first rains? You get some amazing views from there especially of the trains!

Regarding Ganesha, in his right, he holds the Ankusha (which controls elephants) and on the left he holds the noose (or Paasa as in tamil) with which he binds. Normally the noose is associated with Yama. Here, Ganesha is supposed to capture his devotees with the noose and save them from Samsara sagara and bind them to him.
And the Ankusha is for pushing people towards acheivements (spiritual and gnana) like how a mahout goads an elephant to move/ march forward, Ganesha does to his devotees with this.

Did you also check out the Tony's Dhaba on the old road. Worth a visit. (Especially for Ranjith.Rajaram)
Old 25th May 2010, 10:58   #148
Senior - BHPian

Guys!! no acitivity in this thread?
Is everyone too busy?
Come on wake up MX6,vrprabhu and AP, keep this thread on top, it has slipped to second page now.
Waiting for more awesome pics from you all.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:09   #149
BHPian

@vrprabhu, Very nice snaps of Lord Ganesha.

Will like to know the exact location of this idol. Is it ahead of Talegaon towards pune side and accessible from NH4?

This thread is being very useful for newbies like me
Old 25th May 2010, 12:26   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Guys!! no acitivity in this thread?
Is everyone too busy?
Come on wake up MX6,vrprabhu and AP, keep this thread on top, it has slipped to second page now.
I have been relegated to the bench.. the cap is furious and wants me to 'hold my guns'... so I am awaiting marching / firing orders

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
@vrprabhu, Very nice snaps of Lord Ganesha.
Will like to know the exact location of this idol. Is it ahead of Talegaon towards pune side and accessible from NH4?
This thread is being very useful for newbies like me
Actually I didn't post any comment at all on the route / way - because I expect some tongue in cheek replies - I think the summer heat is sweating off the sense of humor

Anyway, here goes -

The actual way up the hillock is AFTER the toll plaza on NH4. Immediately after you cross the toll booth, there is a fork towards the left leading towards Somatne (I have pictures of this area, too!! More about it below)

Proceed just 200 - 300 metres on this road, and you will see a road to your left, going towards the statue. There is parking space at the bottom and a flight of steps going up. No need to huff & puff - there are benches to sit at every turn in case you want rest....

BUT, hey, why pay toll - if you can do this, hehehe....

just before the toll plaza the road is open conveniently to take a u-turn. Take the turn, and park at any of the road-side restaurants. Have a liesurely walk to see the maharaja and come back - you will take about an hour for the to and fro trip. Have some snacks at the dhaba after the walk - I had misal pav, which was very tasty

If you are keen on going ahead after paying the toll, go ahead... but don't return on the same route. Keep going ahead on the on this road - you will soon reach the back side of Tata Electric and Kusgaon - there is a small dam there, without a soul in sight. Just enjoy the rural ambience and the sunset. Continue on this road, and you will join Hinjewadi!! After which return to Pune via Wakad, Aundh or Wakad, Baner or any other way you please

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks