Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 16:58   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Here's the teaser pic for the Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog.
Keep watching this space!
I will!

MX6, where is the temple from? Maharashtra? Looks like a typical Tamilnadu temple to me....
Old 12th May 2010, 17:12   #77
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
I will!

MX6, where is the temple from? Maharashtra? Looks like a typical Tamilnadu temple to me....
That temple is 45 mins drive from pune. It's an exact replica of Tirupati. Go down till kapurhal on NH4 (towards bangalore). Turn off towards narayanpur. Venky's is the promoter.
I'm surprised as to how you weren't aware of this! Earlier days I used to go as early as 5 in the morning to get a good darshan! There was absolutely no crowd. Now that place has crowd too. They even have a vari kalyana katta (tonsuring place) set up!
Old 12th May 2010, 17:23   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That temple is 45 mins drive from pune. It's an exact replica of Tirupati. Go down till kapurhal on NH4 (towards bangalore). Turn off towards narayanpur.
Forgive me, master! I need to get my eyes tested. Been there four times, but never in the evening. Looks fantastic. Yes, it is worth a visit. Since there is no money / special queue, it is one of the places I feel worth visiting...
Old 12th May 2010, 17:33   #79
Senior - BHPian

Last look....

Waited for the crowds to clear - I mean, isn't it the reason why we go out in search of such places

Tried to get near to the water and feel its force...
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-above.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-above1.jpg

One slip - and you can go straight to heaven! Don't know how they will pick up the bits and pieces though?
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-close.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-deep2.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-deep3.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-deep4.jpg

The rains are threatening again - and bones are creaking. There is about 180 kms of night driving ahead, so we take a last look and unwillingly start our way back....
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-deep.jpg
Old 12th May 2010, 17:40   #80
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Forgive me, master! I need to get my eyes tested. Been there four times, but never in the evening. Looks fantastic. Yes, it is worth a visit. Since there is no money / special queue, it is one of the places I feel worth visiting...
This was at 5 in the morning. In case you want to see the temple like this, then go at 5 or 6 am.
Old 12th May 2010, 18:02   #81
BHPian

Beautiful pictures! This place is stunning! The flowers only bloom during the end of Sept and early October right? Would it be safe to carry a tent and just camp out here for a couple of days?
Old 12th May 2010, 18:12   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Beautiful pictures! This place is stunning! The flowers only bloom during the end of Sept and early October right? Would it be safe to carry a tent and just camp out here for a couple of days?
That's what exactly we saw on one of our trips - a man, a dog, an alto and a tent. But, beware, there is nothing to eat / drink in the nearby vicinity.... you should carry EVERYTHING with you.
Old 12th May 2010, 18:18   #83
BHPian

Wonderful, awesome, etc, etc,. Thanks. Where you were Prabhu until the Master started this thread! If it needs some hijacking of some thread that brings out the best from your treasure of nature shots, then, I don't think anyone here (including mods) is going to mind it. Pl go ahead and hijack as many threads as you want, but, pl don't hold back all that 'khazana'.

And the master is already ready with his 'ammunition'.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 12th May 2010 at 18:25.
Old 12th May 2010, 18:19   #84
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
That's what exactly we saw on one of our trips - a man, a dog, an alto and a tent. But, beware, there is nothing to eat / drink in the nearby vicinity.... you should carry EVERYTHING with you.
Should be worth a try. But then there's absolutely nothing there. Anyway, on the way I do remember seeing a couple of resorts (basically a shack). Better would be to stay in Satara as it's only 20 kms from Satara. That way, one can get up next day and go to Thosegar.
The biggest deterrent would be the fact that you'd be there during the thick of the monsoons and wouldn't like a heavy downpour after you set up your tent.
Old 12th May 2010, 18:20   #85
Senior - BHPian

Let the credits roll.....

Making a solemn promise to come back - again and again! - we start our return trip...we stop to take a break and finish off all the remaining snacks in our back packs - we are given company by these....
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-cater.jpg

skills of my friend can be appreciated...

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-bug.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-spot1.jpg

And I will call it "spot the thing" contest... one of them is green snake which slithered across our path, and the other was a bug beautifully camouflaged!

The parting shot was the windmills which Ashish mentioned earlier...
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-windmills.jpg

And A BIG THANKS on my and ALL YOUR BEHALF to my friend - Sitarama - without whom this trip and pictures would not have seen the light of the day!
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-sitaram.jpg
Old 12th May 2010, 19:49   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Should be worth a try. But then there's absolutely nothing there. Anyway, on the way I do remember seeing a couple of resorts (basically a shack). Better would be to stay in Satara as it's only 20 kms from Satara. That way, one can get up next day and go to Thosegar.
The biggest deterrent would be the fact that you'd be there during the thick of the monsoons and wouldn't like a heavy downpour after you set up your tent.
Guys pardon me but I'm a little confused. The flowers are in bloom during October right? Then why would monsoon be an issue?

Apart from the non availability of anything (we would carry provisions and a mini gas stove) is it safe to just camp out there with a lady companion?
Old 12th May 2010, 19:55   #87
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys pardon me but I'm a little confused. The flowers are in bloom during October right? Then why would monsoon be an issue?

Apart from the non availability of anything (we would carry provisions and a mini gas stove) is it safe to just camp out there with a lady companion?
By first week of Oct, the flowers are all gone. And camping with a lady companion is a strict no-no. Not with the current crime rate in Maharashtra.
Old 12th May 2010, 23:58   #88
BHPian

prabhu, beautiful pictures. haven't known this places before my drive to Mahabaleshwar (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...pule-back.html).

btw, which places you have visited, i will start threads for each of them for you to hijack
Old 14th May 2010, 11:25   #89
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all....

Quote:
This was at 5 in the morning. In case you want to see the temple like this, then go at 5 or 6 am.
Yes, I will. It looks glorious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Pl go ahead and hijack as many threads as you want, but, pl don't hold back all that 'khazana'.
And the master is already ready with his 'ammunition'.
May be words like these will inspire me to make this my full time hobby?!

Quote:
Better would be to stay in Satara as it's only 20 kms from Satara. That way, one can get up next day and go to Thosegar.
Quote:
Quote:
By first week of Oct, the flowers are all gone. And camping with a lady companion is a strict no-no. Not with the current crime rate in Maharashtra.
Staying in Satara is safer - that way a proper place to stay and food is assured; and you can do the visits during the day.

The monsoon starts in June and goes on till September. The flowers bloom during the fag end of the monsoon. However, in Satara there are always chances of sudden showers and sometimes it rains so heavily, that staying in a tent may be risky - especially in the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
prabhu, beautiful pictures. haven't known this places before my drive to Mahabaleshwar - btw, which places you have visited, i will start threads for each of them for you to hijack
Thanks - I would also feel the same way, if I traveled to some place and missed out something good. (It has already happened - twice! - at ajanta / ellora have seen only one set of the caves).

Seriously - that's why you have to do research before going on a trip; that is also why this section is very useful....

Thanks for your offer, buddy. But I have my reputation to think of! And, as said before, there is no point in taking the numbers seriously - including where it relates to currency and age (I will always be young at heart and be happy that my wallet is full whenever I need it....)

Going through the thread again, I found the finale was slightly hurried - may be wanted to finish it off faster. Next time round, I will string it out better.

Between 1994 - 1997 and 2004 - 2010 I have visited plenty of places - apart from the usual Pandharpur, Shirdi, Kolhapur, Lonavla, Mahabaleshwar/Panchgani, Ajanta/Ellora, there were more interesting places like (a) Harishchandragad, (b) Kalsubai, (c) Ratangad, (d) Ghatgar, (e) Alang-Gulang, (f) Bhandardara (Wilson Lake Dam) - Shendi (Randha Falls), (g) Takhet, (h) Trimbakeshwar (Nasik), (i) Wani-Dindori-Surgana (Gujarat border), (j) Gondia (MP border) - all these picture are in 'film'; the second half is mostly places near Pune.

Even though the captain has given a preview of the things to come, I will try and post the following two trips (a) Pune-Bhor-Mahad-Raigad-Mangaon-Mulshi-Pune : a must for all bikers; (b) Diksal : a must for all bird watchers - in the coming weeks. That way I will fulfill atleast one promise.

Thanks again, to all of you!

Finally, Pallod Saheb, hope you have not gone off on the trip you were contemplating! I am still waiting for my (free) geography lesson...
Old 14th May 2010, 12:48   #90
BHPian

Thoseghar and kaas are like backyard for me... I cant even imagine a monsoon without visiting these places.... just amazing!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks