Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 17:32   #1
BHPian

Trip to Thekkady- Theni, Madurai with photos

Hello all ! This is my first attempt in writing a travelogue and my first drive after a long gap of 4 years. I have taken inspiration from a lot of people in the forum and would try to match the standards.

The plan: function of Wife’s relative at Madurai ( that’s wife’s idea) my excuse , yes we need to go there for the function ( I am just looking forward to the drive)
To drive down: Indica Vista, running in at 11k km
The route : Kottayam, Kanjirapally, Ponkunnan, Mundakayam, Vandiperiyar, Kumily, Thekkady( a small break planned here) Kambab, Uttamapalayam, Usilampatti, Sakkunarani and Madurai

Well, wife has already got the planning going, she is going back to Tamil nadu after a long time and she was really looking forward to it. I as usual tied up with work was looking for a break and that’s when the invitation came. It has been really long time since I had been to Madurai, the last time I was there as a part of tour. I didn’t mind going and she didn’t have to prod me more, she was really surprised as I had agreed to this, mostly I would be saying , No da! I have an important meeting this weekend. She looked at me and asked; Are you sure that you want to do this trip? Nothing important this week? I just smiled at her and said, anything for you!

Well that's just the beginiing, will post more with pictures!

Note from mod: External formatting tags such as [FONT], [SIZE], [COLOUR] are not allowed and have been removed. Please copy-paste from a format-neutral editor such as Notepad.

Last edited by theMAG : 18th November 2009 at 18:43.
Old 18th November 2009, 19:39   #2
Team-BHP Support

Majic, seeing the interest you display in going through the various travelogues, i am sure you'd have picked up a lot of tips. Lets get the show rollin'!

Between when was this trip undertaken?
Old 18th November 2009, 20:18   #3
BHPian

You must be knowing not posting pictures is a serious offense here.
Keep them coming.
Old 18th November 2009, 21:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

WOW coming soon travelogue and without picture, I am not discouraging you I hope you soon come with pictures and more details before MODs delete this thread!

I understand travelogue is allowed much before it take place!! so Can I load my next 12 travelogues that I planned in next 8 months?

Ravi.

PS Is this already executed travelogue ? Anyway bring it along, we will know about it

Last edited by ravibhat : 18th November 2009 at 21:29.
Old 19th November 2009, 00:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey Majic, lets get the travelogue rolling. See, everyone is anxious!
Old 19th November 2009, 09:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Majic that's one of the most picturesque routes I have ever driven through both in Kerala and TN. Have traveled extensively in both these states, however I am yet to find a better place that offers more anything more.

The route from Theni all the way to Erattupetta is simply mind blowing.BTW please don't tell us you are waiting for Christmas to complete your travelogue.
Old 19th November 2009, 09:56   #7
BHPian

benbsb29, thanks for the encouragement , actually its going to happen this weekend, and i am really looking forward to it.
akas, be sure that i would be posting pictures as i have aldready checked the my camera and made sure that i have sufficient charged batteries. Will post them
Ravibhat: Seriously thank you for the note, yes i would come up with details and pictures and post them soon
Chevylover & Rjstyles:Thanks CL, hope that i would be able to do atleast half of what you both have done.

Please do keep reading i will try to make it most interesting.
Old 19th November 2009, 10:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Dude, you are doing a big crime in this thread by not posting any pictures. ASAP do it or else as "ravi" told this thread will be deleted by MODS
Old 19th November 2009, 10:26   #9
BHPian

Post the details ASAP. I will be doing this trip from Cochin on 5th of December. Again, in a Vista. So your experiences will be handy for me. Please let me know whether i need to take any precautions with the car as well. Because the car is just a month old and i am not too familiar with the way it might behave on hills and climbs.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Update from me, I did the drive on Nov 15.

Kumili-Madurai, 150 kms, 2.55 hrs

The ghat road down from Kumili was a mess with lots of potholes and it was still raining at that time, but oince I went down to the Tamil Nadu plains, road was fantastic and being late, not a soul on the road. Nevertheless, the small towns en route (Kumbam, Theni, etc) bring lots of irritation. Signages are terrible, and I missed a turn at Usilampatti to go off course for a few kms before I realised my mistake. Signages need to be improved a lot to guide new drivers in this sector, too bad that this is NH49.
I reached the old Madurai bypass (near the Germanus Hotel) at 1000 pm.
Old 19th November 2009, 12:59   #11
BHPian

HVKumar Sir, thank you very much for the information, would look out for a safe drive and just incase i get lost i would defenitely get in touch with you.
shishirbn, thanks buddy will try to do justice to what you have asked for
Diesel Addkit: I certainly would be able to give in the details much before the 5th of December, PM me your number and i will get in touch with you

Two days to go and I am still day dreaming in the office. I have already made my schedules to keep me free on Saturday and Sunday. My better half has become all the more curious and I can see that she keeps looking at me as if asking me “ Are you alright?”. I think I would have to tell her my wish as she would now drag me down to a psychiatrist to see if I am normal. Well I told her my plan of driving during the day time, she looks are you sure, you will lose a days leave. Now I get down trying to convince her that the view would be really good and also we get to see Thekkady, though there wont be any boating. Then put the punch line I know which she would best appreciate, we could spend some time together and it would be really worthwhile.

Mmm, so that is why you are all smiles and excited for the past couple of days she says. She finally agrees with me. I have already planned to drive during the day as from the travelogues of other TBhpians I know it would be worth while and where there is bound to be good sceneries, there would be requiring time for photo sessions. Writing of photo sessions, I have already checked that I have enough battery power, memory card space etc. Everything seems to be in order. Ok I think I will even take out the pictures from my mobile memory, just incase of backup being required.

Tomorrow I will be taking the vehicle to TASS centre just to make sure that it is ok. No there aren’t any complaints. Just want to be doubly sure that its okay. Planning to drive down with family requires certain cautions being taken. Though earlier travels had been during the hey days of romance and courtship after marriage it was okay as we were good to adjust to any situations. Today after god blessed us with a little boy who is a year old I wouldn’t want to take any risks. I think that its natural. Earlier during the bachelor days it used to be reckless driving and after marriage I was more cautious and today, places that I could drive down in an hour takes me almost half an hour extra. I think marriage has made me mellow down to be a better driver.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th November 2009 at 13:10. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 19th November 2009, 13:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Tomorrow I will be taking the vehicle to TASS centre just to make sure that it is ok. No there aren’t any complaints.
Not discouraging!

I would get in my Marina even today and push off without a second thought, it would go to the service centre only if needed!

All the best for your trip!
Old 20th November 2009, 09:28   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Not discouraging!

I would get in my Marina even today and push off without a second thought, it would go to the service centre only if needed!

All the best for your trip!
Trrk sir, thanks for the wishes, will be doing the trip tomorrow. Will post in as soon as i am back.
Old 20th November 2009, 17:33   #14
BHPian

Tomorrows D-Day

Everyone thanks for the patience, well tomorrow is the D-day. I had gone to the TASS centre , the vehicle is running fine. Filled her up and now just raring to go when the news channel has said that there would be depression in Sri lanka and so it is imminent that would rain in Tamil Nadu, just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn’t happen, not that I am apprehensive of driving in the rain but what keeps me off is that I wouldn’t be able to take photos.
Please do keep logging on to this thread will try to do a good work posting photos and trying to make it as interesting as possible
Old 21st November 2009, 19:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
but what keeps me off is that I wouldn’t be able to take photos.
Rain soaked photos would add to the effect.

You can avoid the 'sir' and all the best again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks