Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 09:00   #46
BHPian

Thanks Navan Sir and Surprise, actually my sister and family are planning to come to Kerala by car and for a change they want to to do this route. Thanks for the timing and distance also
Old 17th December 2009, 09:48   #47
BHPian

Navan Sir, you should have posted a nice pic of your Ritz taken during your drive. Can't wait to see it
Old 17th December 2009, 10:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Planning a trip to Achankovil and from there to Sabari in March will be travelling through Salem.Is it advisable to travel via Batlagundu-Usilampatti-Rajapalayam or Bypass Madurai via Tirumangalam and reach Tenkasi.Thanks in advance.
Old 17th December 2009, 22:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi ssengo,

People might get bored up if I put my Ritz every where. If you wish please check RITZ VDI ABS Silky Silver 6500 thread there it is. It was there as my avatar for some time ok to day I will put it in avatar. I have attached to show a small scratch in Funny Guru's or the Racing Green Ritz thread too. Any how nice to have you in Rameswaram.
Old 17th December 2009, 23:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

In this thread I mentioned about the MASS poor Car wash and cleaning in Madurai. When the service people called and asked about the service quality I reported the same horrible service. To day the MASS people called me and asked to cancel the complain and during my next visit they promised to do the best water service at free of cost. Just keep it in mind to fix your Service Center be bold to tell what you felt about their work. My Chennai MASS(MSM) quality is great in comparison with them.
Old 18th December 2009, 20:53   #51
cLJ
BHPian

What is the difference in distance from Trichy to Madurai by NH 45A & 45B and how is the road condition. Last time (May 2009) I used the Dindigul road to Trichy, but the road was not in a good condition with lot of potholes, though the traffic was very minimal.

I am planning to travel to Kanyakumary while coming back from Nagapattinam in next January. I will not stop in Madurai and directly proceed to Kanyakumary.
Old 18th December 2009, 22:19   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hi CLJ,

The road to Madurai via Viralimalai, Melur is superb. Far better than Trichy Dindigul road. You follow the High way and ring road (bypassing Madurai) with 35 Rs toll. After the flyover before Tirumangalam follow the new 4 lane road and by pass tirumangalam also and go through Virudhunagar. It is almost 30kms shorter than Dindigul road. Unless you have some work trichy Dindigul road is waste.
Old 18th December 2009, 22:33   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi CLJ,

The road to Madurai via Viralimalai, Melur is superb. Far better than Trichy Dindigul road. You follow the High way and ring road (bypassing Madurai) with 35 Rs toll. After the flyover before Tirumangalam follow the new 4 lane road and by pass tirumangalam also and go through Virudhunagar. It is almost 30kms shorter than Dindigul road. Unless you have some work trichy Dindigul road is waste.
Where does the old Madurai bypass road connect with the new 4-lane road? After Madurai city just before Tirumangalam?
Old 18th December 2009, 22:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hi HVK,

You are right just before Tirumangalam after Kappalur and from that ring road fly over. Just climbdown the fly over and climb up the other new one you will be on Tirumangalam bye pass. But remember those who wants to go to Kalluppatty, Srivi, Rajapalayam, Shengottah should take the left side of the new flyover and go to Tirumangalam and as usual you have to take a right turn after Tirumangalam.
Old 18th December 2009, 23:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi HVK,

You are right just before Tirumangalam after Kappalur and from that ring road fly over. Just climbdown the fly over and climb up the other new one you will be on Tirumangalam bye pass. But remember those who wants to go to Kalluppatty, Srivi, Rajapalayam, Shengottah should take the left side of the new flyover and go to Tirumangalam and as usual you have to take a right turn after Tirumangalam.
Thanks for this info.
But I think first you have the left turn into Tirumangalam town, then 1 km further down you have a flyover where you go under and take a right to Rajapalayam. I noted in my log book these 2 points when I drove from Kumili to Madurai last month. Any pointers?

Unfortunately, when you come on the NH49 from Thekkady/Theni side, you have to take the old Madurai (bypass?) via Hotel Best Western Germanus to join the new 4-laner.
Old 18th December 2009, 23:21   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hi HVk,

You are right on the right turn after Tirumangalam to Rajapalayam under the over bridge. The road above is the Virudhunagar road comes straight from the 4 lane. Now you don't have to go to the old bypass via Germanus and Jumbo bells. You can go on the new 4 lane Dindigul road and take diversion just before university from the Samayanallur four lane.
Old 3rd January 2010, 09:18   #57
BHPian

Sharing the chennai - Trichy route details

The toll roads actually make life a breeze. I had to drive to Trichy from Chennai on 30-Dec-09.

Took the toll road from NH 4 to Tambaram and the drive just took 18 mins

The good thing is the fact that this toll enters the NH 45 toll road. Yay..

But there is quite a lot of traffic till (Mel Maruvathur temple) and hence cannot average more than 60kmph for that stretch.

After that it is a breeze. The toll after Samayapuram isn't operational yet. The last 5 kms is really bad but I guess the wait will probably be worth it.

Took a break at A2B on NH 45.

Was able to cover the distance is less than 5 1/2 hours.

The toll roads have made travel in India such a breeze without compromising safety.

Cheers

Sateesh
Old 3rd January 2010, 09:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
But there is quite a lot of traffic till (Mel Maruvathur temple) and hence cannot average more than 60kmph for that stretch.
Yes, seems some festival season. I saw bunch of buses full of Red uniforms. So, [28th Dec] when I went to Dindivanam, I took the Utiramerur - vandavasi and went. Roads are not so god as toll, but good for driving around 60-70kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
The toll roads have made travel in India such a breeze without compromising safety.
Sir, imagine all NH are converted to Toll. Then we are left with no options. Forget us. Imagine our truck and containers carrying food items.

Either way, we pay for toll.

Last edited by mjothi : 3rd January 2010 at 09:42.
Old 3rd January 2010, 10:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mjothi &Csatheesh,

You are right. This is the pilgrim season. The continuos holidays, week end Vaikunda Ekadasi, New Year, Arudra Dharshan. Also the Melmaruvathur varavazhipattu mandrams go there for new year. So if you wish to travel during end of the year and Pongal serason be prepared for the traffic congestion. Of course toll is high but for the price we do enjoy the nice road. The toll upto Madurai comes 285.
Old 8th January 2010, 10:38   #60
BHPian

hvkumar, you were enquiring about the Tuticorin - Rameswaram East coast road before. I did this route on 28-Dec-09. This road is pure pleasure to drive as of now. Very less traffic. Infact the number of cows and sheeps on this road out numbers the vehicles traveling. The road goes and joins Ramanathapuram and from there it is the regular route to Rameswaram as you take when you drive from Madurai. The tuticorin - Ramanathapuram stretch can be easily done in 2 hours flat. The old road used to take between 31/2 - 4 hours.

I was expecting the sea to be seen while driving. But it was not so. Only at a few places we can see the ocean at a distance. Otherwise the road is away from the coast. My brother in law traveled all the way to Chidambaram on this road and joined us at Rameswaram on the way back. He also said the road is too good as it is new. You can probably do a Chennai-Tuticorin drive on the coastal road next.

The bypass road at Ramanathapuram is still under construction. Hence you dont have a choice but to drive through Ramnad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks