Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 19:05   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
@Gansan/Navan Sir - I am planning for a trip to kanyakumari and back via Tiruchi-Viralimali-Madurai route. How is the road condition till trichy andy updates on the road from amdurai to Thirunelveli. In 2008 most of the roads were not compelte and I had to watch out for diversions. I am planning for a day trip this time.
Proceeding to TTN from Sivakasi, I entered the NH before Sattur and exited for entering Kovilpatti. As far as I could see for this stretch the road was very good. As reached V'nagar by train, I have no idea of the road up to that town.
Old 13th January 2010, 00:13   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Did Tuticorin-Chennai drive just this new year.
Tiruchi-Viralimali-Madurai is 99% complete. There are only a few places where minor work was going on.

Madurai to Thirunelveli: again 99% complete, Superb! A dream to drive.

Trichy bye-pass alone is the problem. I was stuck in a jam for 45 minutes and there are huge craters.
Thanks Mani. The huge craters in trichy did bent my Qualis rims in 2008. I had a harrifying experience when I reached thirunelveli. I had a take a unscheduled break in thirunelveli to get my rims (3 rimes were bent) fixed. Hopefully the roads give me better ride quality this time. I am planning for a trip to thiruchendoor. How is the place now. is it crowded this time of the year. Do you have any inputs on the road and the crowd condition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Proceeding to TTN from Sivakasi, I entered the NH before Sattur and exited for entering Kovilpatti. As far as I could see for this stretch the road was very good. As reached V'nagar by train, I have no idea of the road up to that town.
Thanks Gansan.

Last edited by ElantraGT : 13th January 2010 at 00:16.
Old 13th January 2010, 07:18   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Thanks Mani. The huge craters in trichy did bent my Qualis rims in 2008. I had a harrifying experience when I reached thirunelveli. I had a take a unscheduled break in thirunelveli to get my rims (3 rimes were bent) fixed. Hopefully the roads give me better ride quality this time. I am planning for a trip to thiruchendoor. How is the place now. is it crowded this time of the year. Do you have any inputs on the road and the crowd condition?

Thanks Gansan.
Tiruchendur will be extremely crowded for Thaipoosam festival. In fact thousands of pilgrims are converging on that town, undertaking "padayatra'. As soon as I entered the NH I could spot hundreds of them walking on the road, and the number increases as you near Tuticorin. The Tuticorin -Tiruchendur road is swarming with them, and they encroach a lot on the carriage way while walking. Watch out for them, especially if you happen to drive during night.
Old 13th January 2010, 17:38   #79
cLJ
BHPian

How many hours will take to drive down from Nagpattinam to Kanyakumari through the ECR, and which one is better route; through Trichy-Madurai or ECR.

CLJ
Old 13th January 2010, 23:00   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLJ View Post
How many hours will take to drive down from Nagpattinam to Kanyakumari through the ECR, and which one is better route; through Trichy-Madurai or ECR.

CLJ
Not less than 10 hours.
The ECR has been newly laid, and someone who drove on it recently, reported it to be in good shape.

Going via Madurai may be faster because of teh superfast 4-lane roads from Madurai.
Old 14th January 2010, 21:28   #81
cLJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Not less than 10 hours.
The ECR has been newly laid, and someone who drove on it recently, reported it to be in good shape.

Going via Madurai may be faster because of teh superfast 4-lane roads from Madurai.

Thank you, I will try out Trichy-Madurai route this time, which I know fully. May be sometime later I will try the other route.

CLJ
Old 20th January 2010, 22:51   #82
Senior - BHPian

While going from Chennai to Madurai the bye pass road in Trichy will be confusing. They have given diversion from Golden Rock to Madurai Road or to Junction. It really make some one into lots of confusion. So better go through the city Via Gandhi Market and reach Bus stand and to Dindigul and Madurai roads.
Old 21st January 2010, 18:47   #83
BHPian

long diversion through Trichy

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
So better go through the city Via Gandhi Market and reach Bus stand and to Dindigul and Madurai roads.
When driving from Tuticorin to Chennai during this new-year, I missed the roads inside Trichy and got diverted through Chatram-Bus-stand which was very, very messy. When I reached the highway (near the Hyundai-showroom) there was a traffic-jam for 40 minutes. Overall a lot of time was wasted and I went through a lot of stress which should be avoided on very long drives. As my car is an AT, it helped me! (Civic).

Hope they finish the bye-pass soon, I may be doing another drive in February.
Old 28th January 2010, 21:45   #84
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manim,

I mean to say the Gandhi market road. It is different from the Chatram bus stand. From Gandhi market if you travel then it will take around 20 to 25mts to Bus stand in peak hour which is far better than this diversion road.
Old 29th January 2010, 04:32   #85
BHPian

GPS within Trichy

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
I mean to say the Gandhi market road. It is different from the Chatram bus stand. From Gandhi market if you travel then it will take around 20 to 25mts to Bus stand in peak hour which is far better than this diversion road.
Yes, I meant that I missed the regular roads. Next time I will try the Gandhi market road. But now I am experimenting with my new (just a day old) Nokia 5230 with GPS, and using it within Trichy might be very helpful next time! But I need to confirm if Nokia maps are proper for Trichy.
Old 31st January 2010, 23:47   #86
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manim,

I use the E75 GPS in Chennai. I tried last time, it did not work and error message or out of coverage area and will be charged message was coming in Trichy and Dindigul. I will visit again and check once and confirm. Trichy is really confusing. I told my somn too to avoid the new diversion but he too missed that Gandhi market. Next time I will post exactly where to take diversion. I remember there is a board to Tanjore and madurai staright and on the right under the bridge Gandhi Market. I went once not bad I reached much faster and it was befoire 8.10 am. I started from Chennai at 3.45 am. 5.45 stopped at Aarthy Villupuram for cofee and was served at 6.30 am. Reached Trichy at 8.10 in New sangeetha for breakfast.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:22   #87
Senior - BHPian

navan sir, need more pictures to make this report complete. I will use this as a guide when I plan to drive to Rameswaram.
Old 1st February 2010, 21:24   #88
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mpower,

No problem. I will post more soon after my next visit. Last visit I snapped the Ford Figo but it was deleted by mistake. Now I keep the camera on dash I will snap and post. Up to Trichy you can open your eyes and drive. After that you can wide open and drive till Madurai. Madurai - Rameswaram wide open your eyes make your legs and hands busy and drive,
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:20   #89
Senior - BHPian

@Navan49
For a drive to Rameswaram from Chennai, which route would you recommend currently? The Madurai route or the alternative one through Trichy - Pudukottai?
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:21   #90
Senior - BHPian

Gansanji,

The route from Trichy cannot be recommended by me. The reason is that I did not travel recently. When I traveled a couple of years back it was not good. In comparison with the smooth four way lane to Madurai Trichy road may not be good. I prefer the known route than the unknown.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks