Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 11:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Good to see you back buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

6- For mobiles and P&S camera's try Niranjan's Store opposite the Farrer Park MRT Station. I picked up a P&S and a mobile phone from here. The best prices are offered here.
+1. This guy has become very famous now. I too bought the Pioneer set for my previous car from him in 2004. You ask any desi's in singapore and their choice would be this guy.
Old 28th June 2010, 15:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Whats troubling me is that unusual name "DHOBY GHAUT" Thats got to have some Indian link to that name. Only Riju could tell.
pavan from wiki : Dhoby Ghaut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Dhoby Ghaut or Dhobi Ghat (धोबी घाट) literally means washing place in Hindi, from dhobi "washerman" or one that does laundry and ghat, generically meaning a large open space. As a place, Dhoby Ghaut lies along the southern end of Orchard Road.
So yes looks like it was the desi one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Good one Riju!
If i am not wrong, those 3 triplet towers have a platform at the top with a huge swimming on it.
Yes Pramod, free for the tourists and locals have to pay. Its beautiful out there and especially the view of the Marina bay from Clarke Quay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Awwwright! Gonna be watching this space very closely. And I know that you are not going to disappoint Riju, bring 'em on
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Look forward to seeing these two marvellous cities through your lenses. The twin tower snap certainly brings back my old memories. We had out KL branch office right at this tower at Level 46 and what a view it used to be.
Danke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Riju, Love that snap from Songs of the sea, never thought can get such a sharp snap out of that water spray magic thin air..feeling sorry about the same snap I have clicked!!!
ISO was something close to 1600 or so. Need to check, was quite difficult shooting with such a slow lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Good to see you back buddy.

+1. This guy has become very famous now. I too bought the Pioneer set for my previous car from him in 2004. You ask any desi's in singapore and their choice would be this guy.
Thanks anna. Actually his prices are competitive coz even Mustafa prices were on the higher side by about 25 $'s for the iphone.
Old 28th June 2010, 16:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good to have you back Riju, hope you had a fantastic trip, well anyway the pictures are telling their story, nice travel tips there too.
Old 28th June 2010, 18:55   #19
BHPian

gr8 pics man...it just reminded me of my trip to singapore in Nov 09....loved the city

took almost like 2000 pics but could never post a travelogue :-(

anyways here are few from songs of the seas
Attached Thumbnails
They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-1.jpg  

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-2.jpg  

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-3.jpg  

Old 28th June 2010, 19:39   #20
BHPian

singapura, oh singapura, pretty flowers bloom for you and me...

my fav holiday destination ever, keep wanting to go back there atleast once every 2 years!!

riju, AWESOME pictures!! hooked onto this thread for more, bring them on!!

btw, don't intend to hijack your theread but since we're talking about the Songs of the Sea, sharing videos of the show I took the last time we visited sentosa, way back in 2008, hope it's okay!

The fire display was breathtaking, awesome experience!! not sure if anything has changed since!!

Old 28th June 2010, 19:56   #21
cLJ
BHPian

Colourful photos. Waiting for more, bring them on!

CLJ
Old 28th June 2010, 20:17   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Whats troubling me is that unusual name "DHOBY GHAUT" Thats got to have some Indian link to that name. Only Riju could tell.
Plenty of desi in Singapore: I think Tamil is one of the official languages, and there are plenty of signs in this, and other Indian scripts, and not just in Little India.

Was there back in February, and had no danger of withdrawal symptoms from my beloved addiction, chai. Paid several visits a day to the South Indian Veg restaurant just across the road from the hotel.

Can I add The Botanical Gardens to the list of places to see. The Zoo, Bird park, etc, are great, but they do have a resort feeling to them, whereas the Botanical Gardens is just a great place to get away from feeling like you living in a shopping mall. It's also free, except for a modest fee to see the Orchid garden, which is well worth it.

Tiger Airways: Yes it is cramped, especially for the taller flier. Worth spending the extra money to book an exit seat with some headroom. Remember too, that being a basic airline, everything is extra.... even check-in baggage. Remember that when ogling the shopping. If you go with a shopping list, then book the baggage allowance to carry it.

Looking forward to hearing more about Malaysia --- we only went to Singapore.
Old 28th June 2010, 21:01   #23
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Here's a snap of the old hero of singapore sentosa island. Much before there was song of the sea there was Kiki Monkey

ISO 3200
5.6 aperture and 1/4 of a second shutter. Hand held shot.
They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-kiki.jpg

@thad. English, Chinese, Malay and Tamil are their four official/ national languages. So every MRT/ Bus stop you have boards in these languages. Every danger symbol is also in these four languages. Even Caution wet floor is in all these languages!

Last edited by MX6 : 28th June 2010 at 21:05.
Old 28th June 2010, 21:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
gr8 pics man...it just reminded me of my trip to singapore in Nov 09....loved the city

took almost like 2000 pics but could never post a travelogue :-(

anyways here are few from songs of the seas
The last one is a keeper man. I have also shot close to 1600 images and still processing them one by one painfully .

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
singapura, oh singapura, pretty flowers bloom for you and me...

my fav holiday destination ever, keep wanting to go back there atleast once every 2 years!!

riju, AWESOME pictures!! hooked onto this thread for more, bring them on!!

btw, don't intend to hijack your theread but since we're talking about the Songs of the Sea, sharing videos of the show I took the last time we visited sentosa, way back in 2008, hope it's okay!

The fire display was breathtaking, awesome experience!! not sure if anything has changed since!!
Naah !! you aint hijacking please do post pictures. Nothing really has changed. I could have watched 3 shows in succession if needed , I mean the show was that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Plenty of desi in Singapore: I think Tamil is one of the official languages, and there are plenty of signs in this, and other Indian scripts, and not just in Little India.

Was there back in February, and had no danger of withdrawal symptoms from my beloved addiction, chai. Paid several visits a day to the South Indian Veg restaurant just across the road from the hotel.

Can I add The Botanical Gardens to the list of places to see. The Zoo, Bird park, etc, are great, but they do have a resort feeling to them, whereas the Botanical Gardens is just a great place to get away from feeling like you living in a shopping mall. It's also free, except for a modest fee to see the Orchid garden, which is well worth it.

Tiger Airways: Yes it is cramped, especially for the taller flier. Worth spending the extra money to book an exit seat with some headroom. Remember too, that being a basic airline, everything is extra.... even check-in baggage. Remember that when ogling the shopping. If you go with a shopping list, then book the baggage allowance to carry it.

Looking forward to hearing more about Malaysia --- we only went to Singapore.
Thad I really dint want to get back, but then my leaves were limited. I definitely wouldn't recommend these budget airlines to anyone, unless you travel quite regularly.

The food court was simply amazing especially near Little India. 10$'s was what we paid for 2 people and we ate stomach full.
Malaysia was a whole new experience by itself, I honestly was feeling at home. Hang in there , should be up in a day or 2 once I am done with the Singapore Saga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Here's a snap of the old hero of singapore sentosa island. Much before there was song of the sea there was Kiki Monkey

ISO 3200
5.6 aperture and 1/4 of a second shutter. Hand held shot.
Attachment 376846
Biggest problem was that I had to simply push the ISO to some insane numbers on my D80 and with a slow lens it was simply getting painful to shoot images.
Old 28th June 2010, 21:24   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Worth spending the extra money to book an exit seat with some headroom.
Just happened to spot this. Meant legroom, of course.

Old 29th June 2010, 09:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Sentosa it is for today....

Take the MRT to Harbor front and exit at VIVO City. You can buy your tickets to Sentosa at VIVO City and from there on take the mono rail to reach Sentosa.
You can also take the skyride from Mount Faber to get there, however the skyride was under renovation and we had to take the monorail to get there.

Sentosa would require one full day if you wished to check out all the rides and the beaches. From what I was told Universal Studios itself would need about 3-4 hrs and we were unlucky. Couldn't get tickets to Universal studios at Sentosa, tickets were sold out by 10:00am and that too on a monday.

It would be best if you can pick up the brochure at one of the ticket counters and decide what places you wanna see. Places like Siloso Fort doesn't make any sense and its best if avoided.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-1-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-2-large.jpg

This is all we got to see of Universal Studios .

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-3-large.jpg

The Merlion

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-4-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-5-large.jpg

The skies were dramatic and couldnt resist posting them here.This set was shot using a P&S , Nikon S3000 which I picked up in Singapore.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-6-large.jpg

Dont give this a miss, its worth taking a ride downhill on a luge and coming back using the skyride.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-7-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-8-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-9-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-10-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-11-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-12-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-13-large.jpg

A glimpse of the Luge track. Use google images to see what a luge looks like, I was in for a complete surprise when I got there.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-14-large.jpg

Images of Singapore is definitely worth a visit and it depicts the history of Singapore.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-15-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-16-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-17-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-18-large.jpg

A view of Sentosa's skyline, lot of construction activity in the distance.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-19-large.jpg

Shot at Siloso fort and this is the place I recommend you avoid.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-20-large.jpg
Old 29th June 2010, 09:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

sentosa continued....

A show definitely worth a visit. I loved the seal and the way the whole show was organized. Carry your umbrella's in case you don't wanna get tanned, it was really sunny out there.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-21-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-22-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-23-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-24-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-25-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-26-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-27-large.jpg

We had our lunch at subway and after the show we simply walked down to the beach to have some fun. Couldn't get tickets for the 7:40pm show of Songs of the Sea and hence had to while away close to 2 hours waiting for the next show.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-28-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-29-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-30-large.jpg

Time for the show and I made sure we got the front row seats. With limited zoom I had no choice but to try and find a seat in the front row. Make sure you get there early and stand in the queue,the place was really crowded.

The 20 mins show was worth a million bucks. Not the best of shots that I have managed to capture, but then this was the best Sentosa had to offer to me atleast for today.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-31-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-32-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-33-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-34-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-35-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-36-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-37-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-38-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-39-large.jpg

I haven't added pictures from the Underwater world at Sentosa. Definitely recommended, I visited the place and hardly used my camera coz of the low light. We shot a few video's though..
Old 29th June 2010, 10:42   #28
BHPian

Well written travelogue & nice pictures there.
Brings back the memories of our honeymoon trip
Old 29th June 2010, 12:12   #29
MX6
Senior - BHPian

If ok with you I shall add some photos of the underwater world and the view from Mount Faber later in the evening.
Old 29th June 2010, 16:37   #30
BHPian

amazing pictures dude. keep going. When is our country going to become like this

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks