Old 6th July 2010, 14:08   #91
BHPian

A very detailed TL and good photos too! Your junior has done a good job

Waiting to listen more about your trip.

Have a Good Day!

Sanjeev
Old 6th July 2010, 14:09   #92
BHPian

Hey LDL, bro that is one helluva drive. THREE CHEERS to you and your family! The narration is detailed and snaps are very much complementing it.

Going through the log, it makes me feel great seeing the comradeship that we BHPians have developed. THREE CHEERS to that and I know it's only gonna deepen with time.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:27   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Hey LDL, bro that is one helluva drive. THREE CHEERS to you and your family! The narration is detailed and snaps are very much complementing it.

Going through the log, it makes me feel great seeing the comradeship that we BHPians have developed. THREE CHEERS to that and I know it's only gonna deepen with time.
Thanks LOG and sanjeev.

Yes, family supported my plans very well, hence could made it. And yes, BHPian comradership stands-out anywhere and everywhere. The caring one gets on this forum attracts one to it in a magnetic-effect.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:37   #94
BHPian

Day 7: Darshan and Exploring at Rameswaram - Dhanuskodai

And move on to Kanyakumari, same day!!

We got up at 6.30 and got our first (but distant) view of sea from our guest house. Started at 8am from Mandapam to Rameswaram. Spent quite a lot of time at Pambam bridge - our second (and close) look at sea. Views from Pambam bridge were very pleasing, water was blue/green. We even got an opportunity to watch a train crossing over the rail bridge their! We parked Tigress, just before the bridge, and took lot of snaps.

Pambam bridge snaps coming up now..
Old 6th July 2010, 14:53   #95
BHPian

Day 7 Rameswaram continuing.

Pambam bridge Photos
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05357.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05358.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05359.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05360.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05361.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05362.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05365.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05384.jpg  

Old 6th July 2010, 15:03   #96
Senior - BHPian

The Tigress and train in the background is an awesome combination. I would be frank but some how I feel travelling in train in this patch too would be a different if not better experience. How long is the bridge BTW?

The railway line seems to be single. IMO when you travel in train, one can not see the land. Is that right? Must be an awesome feeling.
Old 6th July 2010, 15:08   #97
BHPian

Day 7 Rameswaram continuing..

Views of Sea from Pambam bridge..

We enjoyed those views very much. Morning breeze was also very soothing. Half of these shots, again taken by our son!
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05390.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05391.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05392.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05402.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05403.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05404.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05410.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05411.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05412.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc05418.jpg  

Old 6th July 2010, 15:15   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
The Tigress and train in the background is an awesome combination. I would be frank but some how I feel travelling in train in this patch too would be a different if not better experience. How long is the bridge BTW?
The railway line seems to be single. IMO when you travel in train, one can not see the land. Is that right? Must be an awesome feeling.
Yes, railway line is single and it must be less then 1 km or just about it. Yes, being in that would be equally rewarding, even more scary, i feel so! It passed very slowly, but, I think when train passes over such sea backwaters, the sound (felt from inside the train) makes it scary!
Old 6th July 2010, 15:18   #99
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The bridge was an awesome structure. Rickety sounding and used to carry meter guage trains till some years back. They went for guage conversion. I remember crossing the bridge in a train decades back. The meter guage trains used to sway a bit more than the broad guage trains. Further, the breeze sometimes used to push the coaches that we used to wonder, what will happen if the coaches topple off? Groggy memories of a distant past. Nice to see photos of a broadguage train running over it. Ancient British Engineering!
I've also been searching unsuccesfully for a video of the Kanchi seer crossing this bridge on foot.
Old 6th July 2010, 15:51   #100
Team-BHP Support

@LDL,

Did you take a video of the train. The 5411 snap setting would have been ideal for the train video!
When I went bridge was not functioning and also I had a humble VGA camera of an old cell phone.
(I had lost my Canon & Shoot SD400 on the way)

Last edited by ampere : 6th July 2010 at 15:52.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:28   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@LDL,
Did you take a video of the train. The 5411 snap setting would have been ideal for the train video!
When I went bridge was not functioning and also I had a humble VGA camera of an old cell phone.
(I had lost my Canon & Shoot SD400 on the way)
No, we didn't take video. Should have taken.

Other Rameswaram and Dhanuskodai photos coming up soon.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:38   #102
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic travelogue, LDL! Nice pictures. BTW it is Pamban bridge! I made a train trip to Rameswaram during March'10 and made a cell phone video while crossing the bridge. I will try to locate and upload it here, if you don't mind!

The rail bridge is about 2 - 3 KM long and one can see land in only one direction for a while - and the road bridge which can be seen at an elevation. It is a fantastic feeling - as close as you can get to an actual cruise in the sea!

Last edited by Gansan : 6th July 2010 at 16:41.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:52   #103
BHPian

Day 7 continue..

Rameswaram darshan

We were short on time during whole trip, so didn't mind spending 100-200 Rs. extra, to see places quickly or get over things in less time. So we have hired services of a local man (contacted through our guest house). He'll take us to all the places. So we went through all the required steps; Having purity bath in Sea, getting clicked for those 1 min photos (for Album), having 22 well bath (the teerthans), changing cloths, having Darshan, visiting other important places in Rameswaram like Laxman Kunda (Pond), Seeta Kunda, Ram Padam and Hanuman Temple, etc.. After darshan in main temple, he took us fro breakfast in a good veg restaurant (Goswamy Yatri Niwas and restaurant).

After all these visits, he took us to Dhanuskodai. Sea water was clean and green. We enjoyed being there, inquired about that famous trip on 4-wheel drive vehicles to further into Dhanuskodai. But, it needed much time and also was costly, moreover, except me, it wasn't going to be a fun for the family. We returned from there to Rameswaram.

Then he took us to fishing hamlets in Rameswaram. Though family enjoyed the great sea shore views and got first-hand views of fishing activities, but, they had to keep a hand on their nose. Reason being they not being accustomed to fish smell! Though I am well accustomed. We had good photo session there! Then visited 1-2 left-over points, kids had Lunch again in that Rest, and we reached back to guest house at 3 pm.

Now pics from all these will follow..
Not many pics of main temple as at that time our camera was left in vehicle.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:57   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Fantastic travelogue, LDL! Nice pictures. BTW it is Pamban bridge! I made a train trip to Rameswaram during March'10 and made a cell phone video while crossing the bridge. I will try to locate and upload it here, if you don't mind!

The rail bridge is about 2 - 3 KM long and one can see land in only one direction for a while - and the road bridge which can be seen at an elevation. It is a fantastic feeling - as close as you can get to an actual cruise in the sea!
Thanks Gansan.

Yes, it is the same bridge, may be I didn't get its length estimation right. As for video, go for it mate, no question of minding arises..actually, I'll be quite relieved as lot of people are interested in video here .
Old 6th July 2010, 17:04   #105
Senior - BHPian

Sure, will locate and upload the video in a couple of days! Here are some tidbits about the Pamban bridge:

Pamban Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks