Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 22:21   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Dear Star, amazing pictures of the sun rise. I was just too lazy that day. Remember me sitting next to the breakfast counter, that I need not walk
Quote:
This was one amazing place. I wish I'd been there for more days lazing through some novels, uncared about whatever happens in the world. Time stands still here. Nicely restored, and a wonderful ambience. My only wish is that they had a helipad, but then where do I have a birdie. I simply love this place
Yes, i remember, it appears that 21 hour day had exhausted you.
even i was lazy, but the lazyness enveloped me one day later.

I agree with your observation that this is a great place. I would like to go there again to remain cut-off from the rest of the world, read a book, watch sunrise, do some fishing, lazy around, talk to "real, non-masked" people, be real, be a kid again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
And amazing sun rise photos. BTW, are you using the UV filters? Also have CPL which will cut out internal reflections and refractions and make the sky and water bluer. UV filters cut out ultra violets.
I am did not use any UV filter, eventhough i have one i use it as a lens protector, but remove it while taking pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Laluks & StarVegabond,

Guys thank you for the above two posts, spectacular is too simple a word to express my feelings.

Nature is amazing and surprises you when you least expect it.
Eagerly looking forward to the next posts.
Thanks Khoj for your appreciation. Yes, i had thought i missed the opportunity, but it was not so.

Coming up more..

Walk on the Ozone beach, Building a sand castle, Kids time
The Tsunami
Exploring the Bunglow on the Beach
Visit to the Danish Fort
Walking around the Tranquebar town
.... & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Star: this is the first time I am seeing a sun rise from the water level. All the time I have seen at a little higher coming out of cloud :(

Thanks for sharing.
Me too Arindam, This was the first time i had stated in a beach resort on East Coast.

Quote:
Arindam,
TN coast offers some of the best sun rises. TN is cursed with very less rains. So most often it's barren skies (except when you go down to Nellai -kanyakumari sides).
I agree, Sun rises in the East, so sunrise must be spectacular at east cost than any other place.

While watching sunrise, it struck me. One can never see a sunset in East coast over the sea. We had planned to see a sun set the previous day and were disappointed that we reached late. Actually we did not miss anything.

Guys, tomorrow, i have a long day, i have a one day official trip outside Bangalore, so i won't be able to post anything. I will post again on Saturday... till then...

Last edited by StarVegabond : 5th August 2010 at 22:29.
Old 5th August 2010, 22:25   #92
Team-BHP Support

Terrific snaps from the duo! The more I see this place, the more I want to go there!
Old 6th August 2010, 08:11   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Yes, i remember, it appears that 21 hour day had exhausted you.
even i was lazy, but the lazyness enveloped me one day later.

I agree with your observation that this is a great place. I would like to go there again to remain cut-off from the rest of the world, read a book, watch sunrise, do some fishing, lazy around, talk to "real, non-masked" people, be real, be a kid again.

I agree, Sun rises in the East, so sunrise must be spectacular at east cost than any other place.

While watching sunrise, it struck me. One can never see a sunset in East coast over the sea. We had planned to see a sun set the previous day and were disappointed that we reached late. Actually we did not miss anything.

I will post again on Saturday... till then...
Yes, the heat and that headache towards then end of the previous day took a toll on me, and that's why even I refused to come for the Tranquebar streets after 11AM, when you guys went for the stroll.

But I had done a stroll before 9, before the sun was too strong, and took some pictures. I'll put them by evening.

Yes! The sun rises are spectacular at the east coast. I have seen one beautiful sunrise at Mahabs when I stayed there a few years ago. But then I was not in the photographic domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Terrific snaps from the duo! The more I see this place, the more I want to go there!
Worth a visit, but not worth the drive.

Quote:
KS. Can you also pm me about the software. I find your photos jarring at times. But then I'm intrigued. It is an art form and slowly it grows on you.
You are right. I am kind of loving the illustartive feeling than the photographic ones. It gives a story, fairy tale effect and I'd love it that way. Hence a story feel, lots of colour to be vibrant Check this one,

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-bug.jpg
It tells me a story, rather than an event which occured sometime
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2010, 10:04   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Worth a visit, but not worth the drive.
I wanted to keep mum () but since you mention, I was thinking if you go via TV Malai, it cuts the distance
by 200 Km (You guys did 585 via Mahabalupuram).

TVMalai-Tirukkoilur-Panruti-Tranquebar.

If you did this on way back, and had bigger problem I waiting to hear it.
Because thats what I was thinking of doing.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:34   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to keep mum () but since you mention, I was thinking if you go via TV Malai, it cuts the distance
by 200 Km (You guys did 585 via Mahabalupuram).

TVMalai-Tirukkoilur-Panruti-Tranquebar.

If you did this on way back, and had bigger problem I waiting to hear it.
Because thats what I was thinking of doing.
It was never the distance, but the roads. Both me and Star are used to doing over 800Km a day. It was the attitude of the traffic around that area an the narrow road. Chidambaram to Tranquebar tests your patience, and since it is already 6+ hours you are driving you might not want it like that. Better would be to plan such that you pass this route at a lean period - read early morning or late night so as to see less of those vehicles. Late night is ruled out since you dont want to end up at the resort after midnight. Early morning is impossible as it becomes invariably a night start and night drive from Bangalore.

Further for your route the Krishnagiri Tiruannamalai route is very patchy with huge potholes, so this might not be favourable for a night drive. Also even if you take this route via Panruti, you need to come to either cuddalore or Chidambaram and continue on the same route which we had taken. So you have absolutely no escape from that route.

Probably the day you travel, hopefully sense prevails on that route Any ways budget 2 hours from Chidambaram to Tranquebar on morning drives to be having a safe planning in your hand.

My guesses are like in 5 to 6 hours you must be in Panruti, another 1 to 1.5 hours in Chidambaram, and another 2 hours for Chidambaram Tranquebar. So in all you need atleast 8.5 to 9.5 hours to reach here from Bangalore. So now you can guess the ordeal. It's not for a two day drive, but then what do you do here for more than a night?? So you have to club this with some other place.

So with many combinations - you end up invariably with some bad stretches, either in terms of road conditions or in terms of mad traffic at wrong times.

But if your mind says GO, then all these are minor deterrents. Keep these as information for an advised choice. For us it was like head on to these unknowns.

Probably you can club this with a visit which you plan to do still south. Since the roads from Nagapattinam to Karaikal and Tranquebar is super two lane roads.

On return we went to Velankanni and returned via Tanjavoor, Trichi. Here again the bad stretch was Trichi to Nammakkal - traffic was high, and roads patchy. I wanted to touch Karur and return, but some how ended up taking Namakkal. From Namakkal its NH7 a breeze.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:59   #96
Team-BHP Support

The other option is, take a bigger holiday. Driver to Pondicherry, enjoy a day or two and drive to Tranquebar. That divides the problem. On the way back one can take a break TV malai to visit the temple, before coming back (or drive back straight).

PS: Sorry I forgot the petrol heads that you are!
Old 6th August 2010, 11:10   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The other option is, take a bigger holiday. Driver to Pondicherry, enjoy a day or two and drive to Tranquebar. That divides the problem. On the way back one can take a break TV malai to visit the temple, before coming back (or drive back straight)
That should sort out most of the issues

Quote:
PS: Sorry I forgot the petrol heads that you are!
Old 6th August 2010, 13:19   #98
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Great travelogue

Star and LaluKS,

This is a great travelogue with a rare combination of fantastic words coupled with amazing snaps.

@Laluks, loved the PP that you have done on some of the snaps. Especially loved the last one you have posted (is that a Beetle by any chance) where you describe the style as 'illustrative'. I do agree with MX6, that some of the shots do look a bit artificial, but then there are gems like the one showing the reflection of the "Bunglow on the beach" in the pool which are absolute breathtaking. Hats off to your photography skills as well as PP-skills.

PS : Some of the snaps did remind me of HDR.
Old 6th August 2010, 13:32   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Star and LaluKS,

This is a great travelogue with a rare combination of fantastic words coupled with amazing snaps.

@Laluks, loved the PP that you have done on some of the snaps. Especially loved the last one you have posted (is that a Beetle by any chance) where you describe the style as 'illustrative'. I do agree with MX6, that some of the shots do look a bit artificial, but then there are gems like the one showing the reflection of the "Bunglow on the beach" in the pool which are absolute breathtaking. Hats off to your photography skills as well as PP-skills.

PS : Some of the snaps did remind me of HDR.
Thanks SDP.

Yes that's a beetle of the 1960's owned by BHPian Pavan Kadam. A few weeks ago we had a drive together. He had also taken his old VW minibus for the drive. Please check the quick meets at Bangalore thread for some more photographs.

Illustrations normally tend to be artificial as it has to look more of a illustrative painting /picture than a natural photo. This school of thought is an emerging trend, and I like them . Hope you like it too.

I am sure I would have messed up some, it's these feedbacks that makes me sharpen my skills and better it. Please feel free to correct me whenever I put up some shoddy stuff.

I am still looking at the ocean of knowledge lying ahead in the world of photography, and learning one step at a time. This drive is dedicated to "illustrations".

At the end you need HDR to get all of these experiments right, since for illustrations you need all details, and a simple photo wont help much.
Old 6th August 2010, 14:23   #100
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Illustrations normally tend to be artificial as it has to look more of a illustrative painting /picture than a natural photo. This school of thought is an emerging trend, and I like them . Hope you like it too.
I am sure I would have messed up some, it's these feedbacks that makes me sharpen my skills and better it. Please feel free to correct me whenever I put up some shoddy stuff.
Even I enjoyed "all" of the immensely. Just that some of them are very good works of art and the rest are great pieces of art!

Quote:
At the end you need HDR to get all of these experiments right, since for illustrations you need all details, and a simple photo wont help much.
You mean all these are HDRs? Wonderful !
Old 6th August 2010, 20:17   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Even I enjoyed "all" of the immensely. Just that some of them are very good works of art and the rest are great pieces of art!

You mean all these are HDRs? Wonderful !
Thanks SDP.
Unfortunately all of those illustrations were HDR
Old 7th August 2010, 10:05   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was never the distance, but the roads. Chidambaram to Tranquebar tests your patience
But if your mind says GO, then all these are minor deterrents
Hi Lalu,

your words reminded me of Javed Akthar's beautiful words..

Quote:
Dar hum ko bhi lagta hai rastay ke sannatay se
lekin ek safar par aye dil, ab jana tto hoga
translated in english (might be bit poor in translating the real meaning).

I also fear from the struggle of this journey
but, as i love this journey and have come this far, we need to proceed further

I see that the thread has crossed 100 posts, and has also received 3 votes that of 5 star rating., Many thanks friends for your comments, appreciation and ratings.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 7th August 2010 at 10:11.
Old 7th August 2010, 10:47   #103
BHPian

I liked the photos of "the first view of the Danish Fort" and the photo posted Star showing the early morning sunrise particularly.

In that photo of Danish Fort, how did you take "Star" effect as you called it? What settings did you have on the camera at the time of the shot?

As usual, wonderful travelogue from you both!
Old 7th August 2010, 11:15   #104
Senior - BHPian

We returned to the room after shooting the sunrise pictures, my wife was ready to go out for a walk on the beach. Kids wanted to build a castlem so i asked them to go forward.

I got freshened up and after a while i alro ventured out on the beach along with my friend. Lalu was already on his stroll of the village along with Jr PPG. It appears he wanted to capture the real village life in the morning.

Following images were captured by my wife..

Vacation for us, but a normal struggling day for them
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-01-vacation-us..-normal-day-struggle-them.jpg

Untangling the complex life
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-02-untangling-tangled-complex-life.jpg

& building the mast (= hope)
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-03-building-mast-hope.jpg

View of the majestic fort
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-04-view-fort.jpg

View from the front
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-05-view-fort-ii.jpg

These two appears tobe ready for the voyage
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-06-appears-ready-voyage.jpg

New friends getting ready to build their castle, old friends searching the un-known
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-07-getting-ready-build-their-castle.jpg

Working with desire, dedication and discipline
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-08-working-desire-dedication.jpg

Working as a team
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-09-working-team.jpg

Castle is almost done..
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-10-almost-done.jpg

Then comes the (mini) tsunami
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-11-then-comes-mini-tsunami.jpg

With water every where..
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-12-water-everywhere.jpg

Castle gets washed off...all that remains..
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-13-castle-gets-washed-off...all-remains.jpg

Praying to overcome the sorrow..
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-14-praying-overcome-sorrow.jpg

Looking at the horizon and getting motivated
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-15-looking-horizon-getting-motivated.jpg

new friends bring cheer to life..
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-16-new-friends-bring-cheer-life.jpg

being alone and not having a boat could be a problem
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-17-being-along-not-having-ready-boat-could-problem.jpg

being together the wooden planks can become life boats
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-18-being-together-wooden-planks-can-become-lifeboats.jpg

Boat and anchor..made for each other
Name:  20 Boat  Anchor..made for each other.JPG
Views: 1599
Size:  249.6 KB

Engine of our life ??
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-21-engine-their-life.jpg

The following pictures have been shot by me..

having realized the truth, jumping with joy (this is shot by me)
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-19-jumping-joy.jpg

Some more views of the fort
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-22-some-more-views-fort.jpg

Fisherman still at work..even after the tsunami
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-23-fishermen-still-work.jpg

Sorting and packing thier catch
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-24-sorting-packing-catch.jpg

Fish out of water, but into the frozen water
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-25-fish-out-water-but-icebox.jpg

Grounded but ready to go
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-26grounded-but-ready-go.jpg

Making footprints that lasts is difficult
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-27-making-footprints-lasts-ever-key.jpg

Bombaiwala seems to be introspective
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-28-my-friend-seems-introspective.jpg

Ek Ghar (that of a runk)
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-29-ek-ghar-runk.jpg

Aur ek Ghar.. (that of a raja)
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-30-aur-ek-ghar-raja.jpg

We returned to the bunglow as kids wanted to be in the pool...

Last edited by StarVegabond : 7th August 2010 at 11:32.
Old 7th August 2010, 13:14   #105
Team-BHP Support

@Star Pool seems to be the most favoured destination!
On a vacation, thats one place, which will never go out of vogue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks