Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 20:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: YetiBlog® - Greece!

The place just feels surreal! Thanks for taking us through this heaven on earth.

I'm hooked and waiting for the next episode!

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 20:35   #47
Senior - BHPian

Lovely narration, Sam. Waitng for more breathtaking pics.

Did you get to meet Demis Roussous?
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 21:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

and no pics of greek women you keep talking about yet?

As usual, awesome travelogue!
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 22:13   #49
dot
Senior - BHPian

What a location. Those white walls with pastel doors next to an azure blue sea are to die for.

With the hope of Greece defaulting its debt, causing their economy and property prices to go for a toss; I check out the real estate situation in places like Mykonos once in a while. No luck so far..

Enough rambling, waiting for more
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 22:23   #50
lsp
BHPian

Greece is now on my must-visit-before-I-die list.
Amazing pics and your lovely narration as always. The place looks amazing and the white n blue scheme of things has a very soothing effect.

Waiting for more Yeti!!
lsp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 22:25   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
With the hope of Greece defaulting its debt, causing their economy and property prices to go for a toss;
One would assume things are cheaper right?? NO! Food and drink is pricey and petrol is 1.85€ a litre in Greece!! Like wha-huh??

Consider that Germany is 1.5 to 1.6€!!
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 23:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

This is a unbelievably beautiful place. Quite romantic i should say as well. And the hotel guys adding their touch with the L O V E pillows.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 23:38   #53
BHPian

Another Yetiblog! You should get hired by some travel channel, creating such a wonderful feeling while reading your posts. Thanks for teleporting us to your destination thruogh your wondeful Yetiblogs. Beautiful place!

One question regading the DL from India being accepted in EU. I was in Frankfurt last December and they did not accept UAE licence or Indian licence while renting a car. Is it mandatory to have an International licence in EU?
jaguar.runs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 00:36   #54
BHPian

@sam

awsome awsome place such a beautiful place and pics are superawsome waiting for the further part..

P.s- which camera you use?
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 00:37   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
One question regading the DL from India being accepted in EU. I was in Frankfurt last December and they did not accept UAE licence or Indian licence while renting a car. Is it mandatory to have an International licence in EU?
Hi!

I can indeed offer you confirmed information regarding your "standard" indian driving licence.
First - it is very weird that they would not accept it in Germany. It is wrong in fact. In Germany you are totally free to use your Indian DL to drive PROVIDED you are using it for less than 180 days.
In order to prove this, you must carry both your passport and DL while driving. I know. I do this.

I have rented cars in Germany from Hertz, Sixt and Europcar and nobody even blinked while accepting my Indian DL. Similar stories in almost every county in west europe.

My licence has been checked (pulled over while driving) in Slovenia, Croatia etc and no problem. So east europe seems fine too. Also the US and everywhere else I've rented. Czech Repub too.

If a car rental agency in Frankfurt didn't accept your standard Indian DL they are wrong and you can contest this. The Indian DL is vaild (for 6 months) in Germany and vice versa in India. My wife drives in India.

The IDL (international driving licence) is useless and pointless. I've never had one.

I cannot comment on the UAE DL. I don't know about that.

@jatin - a humble Nikon D40 with an 18-55 and a 55-200.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 00:48   #56
Team-BHP Support

Sam the Indian license works provided it is in english and readable. In US my license was accepted but a colleague who had a license from Jharkhand had his rejected as it was not in english. Also the book type license is not easily accepted as it is hand written. the card works without any issues.

ps: even though I'm a veggie and there are not many options, I love greek food. Keep having it when I go to the US.
Old 21st April 2011, 00:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
The Greeks are crazy drivers, Jenny tells me. They yell and they honk and they cut people and take quick turns!

Ah PERFECT say I. That's how it should be!
I'm going to be completely at home here.
Seems like she forgot where she comes from (NOW). At home is what it would be like if it was like that.

So now it is the Greek connection, I read about the mallu connection after your kearala trip as also your african connection (IIRC).

Last edited by esteem_lover : 21st April 2011 at 00:55.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 01:43   #58
BHPian

Hi Sam
Nice to see you back in full flow, was going through some of your old travelog (wedding) for the second time, was missing the real write ups from your side. so waiting for the rest of this trips pictures.
Roshan_v_k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 03:02   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S I KNOW!! It's bloody unbelievable for me even when I see the photos now!!
My JAW just dropped right down to the floor . My mom and dad went to greece but I never thought this place was so heavenly . Theres atleast a couple hundred of us wishing we were there, so my friend enjoy it while it lasts and upload loads of pics for us less fortunate ones .
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 08:00   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

@Yeti : Fuzzout of pool picture ; some one was being naughty by poolside? ;-)

Some villas in Goa create similar look feel. I guess it is combo of sea and climate that makes Greece stand out. Carry on.

I agree that in most countries Indian DL is acceptable for renting cars if you are visiting for a short period. However earlier this month was refused rental in UAE where they insist on international DL. Which is insane as these are not issued by any government body but by automobile associations.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks