Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 22:16   #121
BHPian

Re: YetiBlog® - Greece!

Hey Sam,
I just got accepted into the fraternity . Thank you for all the wonderful travelogues' you made for us (the skoda superb review was superb too, especially the umbrella bit). Hope you are enjoying the holidays in Greece.A belated best wishes for you and Jenny for a very long and happy married life.
PS: This is my first forum post. I cant stop smiling.
Cheers
Hari
999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 00:11   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Hey Sam,
I just got accepted into the fraternity . This is my first forum post. I cant stop smiling.
Cheers
Hari
It is an honour then. Welcome to Team-BHP and thank you.

And to the dear readers, I owe an apology. I was travelling. The Greece travelogue, like all my travelogues, is written in retrospect. I'm not in Greece right now.
I travel a lot, often for work, often for holiday and often I combine the two - doing 10 to 15 flights a month!!
Since Greece -- I've actually been travelling a lot within India. Including a holiday or two. That's the reason for my silence. Too busy holidaying.
I write a travelogue once in a while, say for one out of 4 or 5 travels - if I wrote one for every travel, it would be at least 4 simultaneous threads.

I don't have the time to do that, nor would you find it as interesting as you do these. After all, how many Goa or Kerala travelogues can one write and why would you read them?

I owe you guys one from California and Vegas, this was even before Greece, I'll do that one of these days.

Meanwhile, this story will continue into Athens next.

Soon. I thank you for your patience until then. I will be back in a day or two. Till then, keep smiling.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 01:16   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Since Greece -- I've actually been travelling a lot within India. Including a holiday or two. That's the reason for my silence. Too busy holidaying.
I write a travelogue once in a while, say for one out of 4 or 5 travels - if I wrote one for every travel, it would be at least 4 simultaneous threads.

I don't have the time to do that, nor would you find it as interesting as you do these. After all, how many Goa or Kerala travelogues can one write and why would you read them?

I owe you guys one from California and Vegas, this was even before Greece, I'll do that one of these days.

Meanwhile, this story will continue into Athens next.

Soon. I thank you for your patience until then. I will be back in a day or two. Till then, keep smiling.
Dear Sam, with your writing prowess I can guarantee even the ones on Goa and Kerala will keep all of us glued to the thread. I can't remember how many times I hit F5's to see if you added to this story. Who can ignore the Yeti after all.
Hope to hear more about Greece and the world that you travel more than I go to the park!
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 02:51   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I owe you guys one from California and Vegas
You have to do that one.
Old 29th April 2011, 10:41   #125
BHPian

Thanks Sam, for the lovely travelouge.

Now I do not need to visit Santorini. I feel like I have already been there , thanks to your pictures and write up.

If you do the California and Vegas ones too ( which I pray you will ) , then they too will go off the " places to visit " list.

Regards
mitrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 13:13   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

The sun is out the sun is out the sun is out the sun is out!!

We wake up to one of the best mornings ever. The view, the panorama of it all. Oh if I could only find a camera that could capture the things my eyes can see. The difference between these photos and what we experienced, is the difference between experiencing a roller coaster ride and watching a movie of it.

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0297_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0298_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0299_l.jpg

On simply has to wake up on the cliff of Imerovigli to understand what panorama a clear day offers.

I find it painfully beautiful and often even forget to breathe.

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0300_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0301_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0303_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0311_l.jpg

Even though it is warmer than it was, what with the sun out - the wind is strong on our cliff and the best thing for us to do is get our windbreakers on and get in the car and go out for a drive.

Interestingly, the clear day brings new perspectives on the cliff settlements. I take the telephoto lens out of the bag and take a picture of Oia (pronounced Eeya!) and get a remarkable understanding of the way things are built here.

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0304_l.jpg

OK! Time to move.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 14:56   #127
Senior - BHPian

Sam-o-holics - People addicted to Sam's posts.

Count me amongst the unabashed Samoholics here please. Nothing that I say or write here is going to really express how I feel about his writings, so I would rather not write it. They are informative, deeply insightful, humorous and dreamy at the same time.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 15:05   #128
Senior - BHPian

ohoho!!!

i was couple of weeks away from team-bhp and here is yeti blog,
today, when opened travelogue section,
saw this thread,
big smile came on my face,
not for blog from yeti after months,
but for the joy of reading yetiblog from start to end in one go,
but....
yeti is still at that island in this travelogue.

The hotel where sam stayed looks interesting.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 19:05   #129
BHPian

I recently became a member of Team-BHP and this is the first YetiBlog® that I'm reading and replying to, after being a member. I've read all your previous blogs when I was not a member. Must say, I quite enjoy reading your blogs and your writing is just excellent!! Keep it up and do post many more YetiBlogs® .
StrangeWizard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 20:37   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
SAM do people speak English there that can be easily understood?
Many do -- they have a sweet accent and are easy to understand and can understand you.
Reading however is another story. Everything is all Greek. Literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tombum View Post
wow! WOW! WoahhhhW!

Amazing travelogue! The Yeti never fails to disappoint!
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonguy View Post
No offence but I'm sure you meant "Yeti never disappoints"
Like Canon said - it is a mistake. "Never fails to" usually means ALWAYS. In which case you said the Yeti always disappoints.

You could say the Yeti never fails to please. Or what Canon said. Assuming you were pleased, which I infer from the wows.

Thanks everyone, I'm thanking your posts individually when I read them. A useful feature indeed.

More tomorrow.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 22:54   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Count me as one of your "Sam-o-holic" .Seriously Sam ,your writing finesse is unmatched by even the best narrators that i have come across till now.Have always been "WOWED" by your class and style.Keep it up Sam.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 17:31   #132
BHPian

Once again the Yeti vows us with a beautiful place and a wonderfully written travelogue. Sam you would make a brilliant travel guide column writer or host. An option you can always consider when you want to multi task with your current job. Love the retrospect take on Greece and also you have helped the Greek Tourism immensely in the bargain. I'm sure a number of us are already planning, and pondering when to make our next trip to Greece. I have a few friends in Greece and i guess its time to pay them a visit.
M00M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 16:08   #133
BHPian

Hey Sam,

Part of this forum since a year or so and this is my first post!!!

Could not help but appreciate your pen (or keyboard rather).

Take a bow Sam Kapasi and keep it coming.

Pinin
pinin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 19:34   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
PS: This is my first forum post.
i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinin View Post
Hey Sam,
Part of this forum since a year or so and this is my first post!!!
That's really amazing. Thank you for that.

Back to the story now.

We're driving through the island, back up north. The roads are cut through mountains. Literally, cut through the mountainside. See what I mean?

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0318_l.jpg

Now that the day is clear we're able to see all the way through the vineyard settlements upto the blue blue sea. Gorgeous!

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0324_l.jpg

The shadowy patches you see are the shadows of the passing clouds.

We drive down the winding hill roads down to the coast line and find or way down a pebbly path to the blue sea.

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0330_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0331_l.jpg

The sea has such a gorgeous colour (note, no photoshop) that I could just stand there all day with my mouth open and take it in.
YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0332_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_03411_l.jpg
As we walk back from the sea coast I smile at our funny car, the Peugeot. Realizing that I haven't taken any pictures of the car yet, I take a quick one for you guys.

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0336_l.jpg

Totally worth the money we spent, which wasn't much at all. 40 euros a day and 40 euros in petrol for all 4 days.
I'd definitely recommend the hire of a car or ATV when you're on this island. Full freedom to go anywhere anytime.

Depending on bus/taxis seems like a mistake. And defintely no sight-seeing tours required. You should have a freedom to stop in the middle of nowhere and enjoy it.

Like we did. Back on our way up, we just stopped to see one of the Hobbit Houses. How totally beautiful. How would you even reach here if it wasn't for your own mode of transport?

YetiBlog® - Greece! (and a wee bit of Germany)-dsc_0343_l.jpg

The drive continues.
Old 1st May 2011, 19:41   #135
BHPian

hey Sam, we have a similar road in India near to mumbai. Guess where? It is the road leading to Mahabaleshwar. The picture will look exact similar. I had a picture somewhere. The beauty is you could watch this road from another hilltop just as in your case I guess.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks