Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2016, 10:45   #91
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Can anyone here provide photos of 225/50/R16 on stock rims of the highline version?
Would be really helpful.
Want to see if the tyres protrude significantly enough to spoil the executive look of the jetta.
Old 10th September 2016, 15:32   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed26 View Post
Can anyone here provide photos of 225/50/R16 on stock rims of the highline version?
Would be really helpful.
Want to see if the tyres protrude significantly enough to spoil the executive look of the jetta.
Check the below post from Chethan's ownership thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3787461
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 13:24   #93
Senior - BHPian

So I plan to change the tires of my 2015 Jetta too as the stock Goodyear NCTs are ridiculously noisy. I will be sticking to the stock size of 205/55/R16 itself but not sure between the Michelin Primacy LC, the Continental CPC2 / MC5 OR Pirelli P7 Cinturato.

I am currently using the Conti MC5 (205/55/R15) on my Polo and very happy with them.

Any suggestions?
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 13:31   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So I plan to change the tires of my 2015 Jetta too as the stock Goodyear NCTs are ridiculously noisy. I will be sticking to the stock size of 205/55/R16 itself but not sure between the Michelin Primacy LC, the Continental CPC2 / MC5 OR Pirelli P7 Cinturato.

I am currently using the Conti MC5 (205/55/R15) on my Polo and very happy with them.

Any suggestions?
Goodyear NCTs aren't good. Michelin Primacy LC has been replaced by 3ST & they are excellent. I have replaced all 4 tyres at 32k kms.

Biggest Improvements

1. Extremely Low Tyre Noise
2. Increased Fuel Efficiency
3. Better Ride at Low Speeds
4. Increased Grip

Overall Best Tyres to have on Jetta, do compare them with Continental Tyres & decide.
CarguyNish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 13:38   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Any suggestions?
+1 to CarguyNish.

I would recommend Michelin P3ST. On my Jetta, I changed to P3ST straight out of the showroom, and these tires are very good in both comfort and grip. I believe this is one of the highly recommended tires among Jetta owners.

I have Continental MC5 on my Polo GT TSi and I feel both are almost similar in comfort and grip.
Old 21st October 2016, 18:16   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Goodyear NCTs aren't good. Michelin Primacy LC has been replaced by 3ST & they are excellent. I have replaced all 4 tyres at 32k kms.

Biggest Improvements

4. Increased Grip

Overall Best Tyres to have on Jetta, do compare them with Continental Tyres & decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
+1 to CarguyNish.

I would recommend Michelin P3ST. On my Jetta, I changed to P3ST straight out of the showroom, and these tires are very good in both comfort and grip. I believe this is one of the highly recommended tires among Jetta owners.

I have Continental MC5 on my Polo GT TSi and I feel both are almost similar in comfort and grip.
Any reviews on the Pirelli P7?
Old 22nd October 2016, 17:05   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any reviews on the Pirelli P7?
Fellow Jetta owner iliketurtles had changed to P7's in his Jetta. Check his ownership thread for his experience with P7.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html
Old 2nd November 2016, 14:12   #98
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to CarguyNish.

The OEM size is 205/55 R16 and i am all in for michelin P3ST. However the dealer near my place is recommending 205/60 R16 in P3ST, specifically because of the lower price. I am not really sure about difference in ride quality and car dynamics and hence holding my decision to alter the size.

Please suggest.
Old 2nd November 2016, 14:47   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
The OEM size is 205/55 R16 and i am all in for michelin P3ST. However the dealer near my place is recommending 205/60 R16 in P3ST, specifically because of the lower price. I am not really sure about difference in ride quality and car dynamics and hence holding my decision to alter the size.

Please suggest.
Here is a comparision between the two sizes.

VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tire-comparison.jpg

There are two issues with 205/60/R16.

First, there is a 3.2% error in circumference. This will result in the same error in speedometer and odometer. For example, when you are doing 100kph, the MID will show 96.8kph. Also when you have actually covered 100kms, the odometer will show 96.8km.

Second, there is a 9.1% increase in sidewall height. Though this will increase the ground clearance and comfort, this will also result in higher sidewall flex which will adversely affect handling. Jetta is an excellent handler in corners. The increased sidewall thickness will affect this cornering ability.

If comfort is your main criteria, then it may be ok to go with 205/60, but if handling is important to you, you should totally avoid 205/60. I am not sure if there are any other advantages/disadvantages due to the increased sidewall.

My opinion is 3.2% increase in circumference is too much and you should stick to 205/55/R16.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 15:02   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Here is a comparision between the two sizes.

There are two issues with 205/60/R16.

If comfort is your main criteria, then it may be ok to go with 205/60, but if handling is important to you, you should totally avoid 205/60. I am not sure if there are any other advantages/disadvantages due to the increased sidewall.

My opinion is 3.2% increase in circumference is too much and you should stick to 205/55/R16.
Thank you so much graja for taking time out and explaining the difference. This is exactly why VW provided 205/55. The prices are cheaper for 205/60 R16 because it can be also applied to many other cars like marutis etc, that simply means comfort oriented and not performance.

205/55 R16 it is.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 14:50   #101
BHPian

Hello guys,

Time to change stock NCT tyres of my Jetta (39k kms). I have shortlisted Primacy 3 ST and PS3.

From what I have read on internet, PS3 is superior than Primacy 3 ST. I haven't checked price with dealers but Amazon sells PS3 almost 40% pricier than Primacy 3 ST.
Is it worth to pay extra price?

I have gone through Michelin India website as well. They market 'Long Lasting' as one of the key features of PS3. Does it last longer than Primacy 3 ST? If so, approx how many kms?

ESP needs to bother a lot during hard acceleration with stock tyres. I believe it will continue with Primacy 3 ST (205/55r16) but should be reduced if I go for PS3 (225/50r16). Is my assumption correct?

Would there be any noticeable impact on fuel economy with wider section PS3? I recall that there was no noticable FE impact when I upgraded my Dzire's tyres from 165mm to 185mm.

PS: I like to push hard in corners whenever I get rare opportunities to drive in ghat section. Also, I appreciate silent and comfortable ride. If these factors contribute to the decision.

Any help would be much much appreciated.
Old 8th December 2016, 13:15   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

Biggest Improvements

4. Increased Grip

I have had a very poor experience with the OE fitted GY NCTs on my Jetta TSI. The ride quality is very harsh so much so that I reduced the inflation pressure by 2 psi to 30 psi to reach a somewhat acceptable level of ride quality. I think the engineers at VW at not doing a good job if they are approving tyres of such quality. Or perhaps price & commercial factors are of prime importance?
Old 8th December 2016, 18:19   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
Hello guys,

Time to change stock NCT tyres of my Jetta (39k kms). I have shortlisted Primacy 3 ST and PS3.
P3ST is comfort oriented and PS3 is more grippy and performance oriented. So, if you change to 225/50/R16 PS3, the grip will improve a lot. This will greatly reduce traction issues during hard launch and also will have greater grip in corners. If you like pushing the car hard in the corners, then I would suggest 225/50 PS3s.

Regarding comfort, I have read many reviews that PS3's tend to get noisy after crossing 20K kms.

Even I will be changing to 225/50/R16 PS3's from the stock size P3STs that I have now.

Check out the discussion in response to my questions a few months back in this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post4010494
Old 9th December 2016, 21:30   #104
Senior - BHPian

I've been using PS3 225/50/16 since last 37000 kms. Its THE best tyre I have ever used in last 10 odd years. It goes over all kinds of terrain, best combo of comfort, grip and longevity. It looks good for around 12-15k kms more. They've become slightly hard, but not noisy. My suspension also has been driven

For curiosity sakes I called my tyre dealer and asked about availability of the same tyre and they said its available only in 225/50/16. This time round I was looking for 215/55/16 as the tyre juts out if my 6.5J rims. But 215 width is currently only available in P3ST. I might stick to 225 section PS3 in future too. Highly recommend it to others too.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2016, 18:59   #105
BHPian

Adi & graaja,
Thank you very much for your expert views.

I am still not able to decide between P3ST. I almost decided PS3 but following concerns are leaning me back towards P3ST.

Since I won't remap Jetta for at least next 20 months (20-25K) to maintain extended warranty, is it really worth to upsize tyres, given that PS3 costs 1.5x of P3ST (12K vs 8K)?

To add to the above point, if I am forced to update my Jetta's software during service by VW (emission recall), she would be tamed a little post software update (Thanks Tanveer, for the review post update). How much relevant PS3 would be post the software update?

Will there be any noticeable performance drop after upsizing tyres? I upsized stock tyres (165mm widhth) of swift dzire to Michelin Energy XM2 (185mm width) a few years back. Though there was a very little drop in fuel efficiency, the performance took a considerable hit. Engine sounded a more strained while cruising at 120kmph after the tyre upgrade (not sure but might heard more engine noise due to lesser tyre noise inside cabin after the upgrade?? PS: Upgrade was totally worth it, much needed braking improvement in non abs dzire)
My concern is, what would be the performance hit in case of jetta? Is there anyone who is using PS3 without remap? If so, please share the experience regarding the performance post tyre upgrade.

Off topic but will influence my decision: Pardon my ignorance but is it recommended to remap 2.0 tdi with dsg? Is there any potential durability issue with remapped 2.0 tdi and dsg?

PS: I seldom drive in ghat section (2-3% of total usage).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bhavik

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks