BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

So just went on a little survey and found out the following in Noida :-
All rates for 185 70 R14
XM1+ - Rs 4750
Yoko A drives - 4150
Bridgestone Turanza 4550
Bridgestone Potenza 4750...

Yokos are cheap comparitevly ....does it make sense to go for them or Turanza or xm1+ will be better....

If anyone has better rates in NCR let me know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeps79 View Post
Hi
One of the front tyre and one at back was loosing air frequently (last week) and on checkup found it to have 4 punctures and the one at back had two...
Got the back one replace with spare and the back one fixed but i believe its the time to change now.

The vdi has done approx 47K on stock (JK) and been to some really bad roads across himalayas (kinnaur - kalpa, chitkul, rohtang, chamoli - uttarakhand) basically non existent road in patches and landslide areas.

Looking for better tyres for similar conditions but not too costly too. what would be the best among yoko a drives, Bridgestone touranza Er60 and Michelin xm1+ energy ?

From the above posts, it seems like bridgestone are better because of better sidewalls.

Also, the spare had a puncture in sidewall and right now i am using it as front. Should i keep it for spare (hardly used) or should i chose the best among the rest 4 (used one) as a spare tyre ?
Old 29th August 2011, 17:46   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So just went on a little survey and found out the following in Noida :-
All rates for 185 70 R14
XM1+ - Rs 4750
Yoko A drives - 4150
Bridgestone Turanza 4550
Bridgestone Potenza 4750...

Yokos are cheap comparitevly ....does it make sense to go for them or Turanza or xm1+ will be better....

If anyone has better rates in NCR let me know...

Turanza (the one I'm using now) and XM1 are equally good. It's harder to pick a better one other than these two that I've mentioned. Bridgestone finally aced it for me as it was nearly Rs. 400 per tyre cheaper than the Michelin XM1, here in Chennai. I'm not sure about Yoko's reliability, so cannot comment. If I was you, I wouldn't regret making the same decision I made last week: to go with BS Turanzas.
Old 29th August 2011, 19:57   #1308
Senior - BHPian

My responses in bold, hope it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
1) Is there a significant/visible disadvantage in going for Yoko ? I plan to keep the car for 3 more years (30k - 35k more)
The car would be driven mostly in Bangalore
Not really, Yokos are good, just that Michelin's a little better.
2) Should one replace all 5 tyres or keep back one of the stock tyres ?
Why would you want to do that? Get 5 new tyres and follow the FWD 5-tyre rotation every 5k and that'd enhance the life of every tyre, in turn the overall running would increase by >5k at least.
Quote:
Hi
One of the front tyre and one at back was loosing air frequently (last week) and on checkup found it to have 4 punctures and the one at back had two...
Got the back one replace with spare and the back one fixed but i believe its the time to change now.

The vdi has done approx 47K on stock (JK) and been to some really bad roads across himalayas (kinnaur - kalpa, chitkul, rohtang, chamoli - uttarakhand) basically non existent road in patches and landslide areas.

Looking for better tyres for similar conditions but not too costly too. what would be the best among yoko a drives, Bridgestone touranza Er60 and Michelin xm1+ energy ?
I've done Kinnaur (upto Chitkul) and whole of Spiti (including Tashigang) in XM1+, only one puncture in this more than 3000 kms of running that too because of a 3 inch, pretty thick nail. I can only say good things about XM1+.

From the above posts, it seems like bridgestone are better because of better sidewalls.
Debatable. A hard sidewall doesn't necessarily mean a tough one. Imagine if you were to cut a rotten tomoto with a knife that didn't have a sharp edge, it'd not be easy. Now how about a fresh hard tomato with the same knife.
Also, the spare had a puncture in sidewall and right now i am using it as front. Should i keep it for spare (hardly used) or should i chose the best among the rest 4 (used one) as a spare tyre ?
Didn't really get this
Old 30th August 2011, 10:41   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Turanza (the one I'm using now) and XM1 are equally good. It's harder to pick a better one other than these two that I've mentioned. Bridgestone finally aced it for me as it was nearly Rs. 400 per tyre cheaper than the Michelin XM1, here in Chennai. I'm not sure about Yoko's reliability, so cannot comment. If I was you, I wouldn't regret making the same decision I made last week: to go with BS Turanzas.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
My responses in bold, hope it helps.
Thanks fine69, i did read your review because you have already done the same circuit as me with XM1+

Sorry for not being clear in my earlier post. My spare tyre has a sidewall puncture and it has not been used at all (probably just 200 kms approx)

When i replace my other 4 tyres(end of life), should i keep the best among that lot or should i continue using the current spare (with sidewall puncture)

The reason i am asking is people don't recommend using tyre with sidewall puncture.
Old 30th August 2011, 16:40   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When i replace my other 4 tyres(end of life), should i keep the best among that lot or should i continue using the current spare (with sidewall puncture)

The reason i am asking is people don't recommend using tyre with sidewall puncture.
I wouldn't recommend keeping a tyre with sidewall damage either. More so when you'd be going to such off-beat places in future too. I think with a new tyre the peace of mind that you'd have would be unparalleled. Its very risky to ply on roads with such a tyre so I'd strongly recommend changing all 5 tyres.
Putting in a tube as a work around for a tyre with sidewall damage is ok if done when there's absolutely no other option, not otherwise.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:01   #1311
BHPian

Tyre Upgrade For New Swift ZDI

Hi All,

I will be getting the delivery of my new swift zdi in 5 days! Eagerly waiting for the same.
I was planning for a alloy+tyre upgrade of the stock 185/65 R15...
Please let me know if i can upgrade the alloys to R16 and the recommended tyre size as well as the brand of tyre for the same.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd September 2011 at 11:35. Reason: Please use Search before opening a New thread. Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 23:06   #1312
BHPian

Well, it would be better to stick to OEM alloys as they are of a very good quality compaired to many jazzier ones. Also upgrading to 16s will make the ride quite stiff & will also have warranty void issues in future.
As for better rubber you can upgrade to 195/60/R15 size available in michellin primacyLC , bridgestone or yokohama. Cheers
Old 5th September 2011, 19:30   #1313
BHPian

@piyush78: Thanks for the updates dude!

I enquired to a local dealer here in Bangalore and he has quoated a buy back of Rs 2500/tyre for the stock MRF 185/65 R15 which will be coming along with my ZDI. Guys hope this is a good deal?

And also he has quoated the following price for the new tyres:
1) Michelin primacy lc 195/60 R15 - Rs 5700/tyre
2) Yokohama ES100 195/60 R15 - Rs 4750/tyre

According to him Yokohama C drives are currently not available and i need to wait for a month if i need them.
Guys help me take a correct choice?

Thanks!

Last edited by StealthBaleno : 5th September 2011 at 19:41. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 8th September 2011, 00:06   #1314
BHPian

I should be going for 185/70/R14 Michelin XM1+ in a day or two. Does anyone recommend anything better? Budget are no issues, how about Yoko?

Btw what's the standard rate for wheel balancing?
Old 8th September 2011, 00:59   #1315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humm View Post
how about Yoko?
I run yoko A drives on my swift, the ride is silent and comfortable.

I bought yokos as they were easier on the pocket and I would say they are almost on par with the XM1+ in terms of ride quality!
Old 16th September 2011, 16:57   #1316
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know what is the offset value of the rims in the old Swift VXi model? I could not find a definite answer to this query in this thread.
Old 17th September 2011, 14:06   #1317
BHPian

I checked the rates of Swift Tyres (185/70 R14) in Bangalore and the best deal I got was from Sai Iyenger. They quoted 3900 for Yoko A drives (incl. Balancing and alignment) and 4600 for Michelin Energy XM1+. Are these rates good or should I look for better deals ?
How should I ensure that the tyres are fresh one's ? What more should I look out for while buying them ?
Old 19th September 2011, 13:45   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
I checked the rates of Swift Tyres (185/70 R14) in Bangalore and the best deal I got was from Sai Iyenger. They quoted 3900 for Yoko A drives (incl. Balancing and alignment) and 4600 for Michelin Energy XM1+. Are these rates good or should I look for better deals ?
How should I ensure that the tyres are fresh one's ?
Check with Car Boutique on Mysore Road. It's located right next to the cemetry, opposite Giria's. I recently bought A-Drive (185/70-R14) for Rs.3800 per tyre.

Check for the manufacturing date of the tyres. This thread should help - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ellin-etc.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Does anyone know what is the offset value of the rims in the old Swift VXi model? I could not find a definite answer to this query in this thread.
It's +45. (I think I have mentioned this somewhere in this thread.)

Last edited by Dolphin : 19th September 2011 at 13:47.
Dolphin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 17:01   #1319
BHPian

What is the current market price of Swift VXI Tyre (R14 165/80), JK Tyre Tornado or equivalent?

One dealer has quoted 2,200 for JK Tyre. Is this a good price?

If anyone is upgrading and selling their OEM tyre please PM me.

Last edited by bharatbs : 19th September 2011 at 17:04.
Old 20th September 2011, 11:16   #1320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
What is the current market price of Swift VXI Tyre (R14 165/80), JK Tyre Tornado or equivalent?

One dealer has quoted 2,200 for JK Tyre. Is this a good price?

If anyone is upgrading and selling their OEM tyre please PM me.
2200 is too expensive for JK tornado 165/80/14 tyres. You should get them at 1200 Rs. a piece.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks