Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2011, 23:13   #1426
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post

I think 195/60/R14 is the wrong upsize. You can go for 195/65/R14, one of our mods Jaggu is using the same profile.
Check out his thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...swift-vdi.html

All the best!
Thanks Mate!
BTW, wont the 65 profile tyre will still not be bigger.
Anyway I shall read the thread completely.
Old 4th January 2012, 17:13   #1427
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Will hopefully be getting delivery of my Swift ZDi in 10 days time. I wish to upgrade from the stock MRF 185/65 15's, due to their very lousy highway performance. Have already tested them on a relative's ZDi, and I am very disappointed.

Now, the logical and best upgrade seems to be 195/60 15's, but that will result in reduced ground clearance (If I am not wrong) due to reduced diameter, which I cant afford because the car will be driven on highways with quite a number of monstrous speed breakers, also soft tyres like XM1+ are completely ruled out as car has to negotiate bad & broken roads as well.

Next best suited upgrade is 205/60 15's, but AFAIK the choice is quite limited in this size. Also some of the available options seem to be on the softer side. Also worried that this much width will reduce the mileage significantly and burden the already fragile suspension.

195/65 15 is what I like the most. It will increase the ride height as well as result in better ride. But as per the tyre size calculators, the difference in diameter from stock will be 2.09% or 13mm. And hence, clearly voted out by the tyre shop guy. He says it might foul with the body while turning.

Now, I request the Tyre Guru's on this forum to help & suggest which size & tyre to go for. ( Btw, personally I am clearly inclined towards 195/65).

Last edited by ScorpMan : 4th January 2012 at 17:15.
Old 4th January 2012, 17:20   #1428
BHPian

Scorpman,

195/60/15 is the way to go, or like you mentioned 205/60/15 for more rubber /grip.

in both cases the ground clearance will be impacted the same, but within acceptable limits..

have you decided on the make of the tyres?
Old 4th January 2012, 18:35   #1429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Hey Guys,

Will hopefully be getting delivery of my Swift ZDi in 10 days time. I wish to upgrade from the stock MRF 185/65 15's, due to their very lousy highway performance. Have already tested them on a relative's ZDi, and I am very disappointed.

Now, the logical and best upgrade seems to be 195/60 15's, but that will result in reduced ground clearance (If I am not wrong) due to reduced diameter,

Next best suited upgrade is 205/60 15's, but AFAIK the choice is quite limited in this size.

195/65 15 is what I like the most.
19 mm diff in circumference and 3 mm reduction in GC between 185/65 and 190/60 is not significant IMO and though I'm no tyre guru but are there much choice in 195/65 ? as I have not seen this size talked about much. Thus suggest 190/60.

And could you elaborate on why were you "very disappointed" with the stock MRFs?
Old 4th January 2012, 18:46   #1430
BHPian

Hey Goandude,

IIRC, there were a number of options in 195/65 size, though not as much as 195/60 (I guess you are referring to that only instead if 190/60).

Regarding MRF's, they howled crazily on sharp turns on speeds as low as 60, and the grip and braking performance was nothing to appreciate.
Old 5th January 2012, 12:43   #1431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
If you are looking for looks, i think 195/60/R15 is the best upgrade. It is just the right choice without compromising much on ride comfort.

16 Inchers will cause a very bumpy ride, and considering swift's so infamous rattles, your car would be rattleing alot after some time.

My suggestion go for 15 inchers, there are lots of good designs available.

P.S: Leave the spare as it is.. no point investing on the spare tyre.
Just purchased 195/60 R15 Michelin PrimaryLC with alloys from a Chinese company called 69.

I must say the car rides beautifully now, there is a reassuring feel to the steering. The only thing I am not sure about is whether I spent too much in getting Michelins or I would have gotten similar results from the 800/- bucks apiece cheaper Yoko's, but the guy I got them from said they were worth it.

As far as the looks are concerned, she looks hot! Matt Black 10 spokes with a Red lip. Had gone to just enquire about the prices, saw the alloys hanging and totally fell in love. Will post pics as soon as I can get some high resolution ones.

Thanks revved_up for your inputs
Old 5th January 2012, 13:54   #1432
BHPian

Got the tyres of my Swift changed yesterday after 50000 KM at Madhus. Changed to Yoko A Drives 185/70/R14 from my stock tyres. Had a wonderful experience, got everything done within 20 minutes... all thanks to Nikhil for helping me out in such short duration and making it memorable.

Drive has changed considerably, I find it more stable, more cushioned and tyre grips well. Have not tried Michelin so cannot compare them with Yoko's but one thing is sure, Tyre noise is practically nil in city driving.

A little off topic : lost my hub cap yesterday and unable to find single/four piece of the old design in market. Just in case if any body can help me out with one

Mods : the last point if required, can you posted to another thread ?
Old 9th January 2012, 17:02   #1433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Just purchased 195/60 R15 Michelin PrimaryLC with alloys from a Chinese company called 69.

I must say the car rides beautifully now, there is a reassuring feel to the steering. The only thing I am not sure about is whether I spent too much in getting Michelins or I would have gotten similar results from the 800/- bucks apiece cheaper Yoko's, but the guy I got them from said they were worth it.

As far as the looks are concerned, she looks hot! Matt Black 10 spokes with a Red lip. Had gone to just enquire about the prices, saw the alloys hanging and totally fell in love. Will post pics as soon as I can get some high resolution ones.

Thanks revved_up for your inputs
@ SuperBee, would you please share pricing details for alloys and Tyre, I am in a same dilemma to go with 14" or 15", But more or less convinced with 15" and would be nice if you can share a picture
Old 9th January 2012, 23:39   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpb View Post
@ SuperBee, would you please share pricing details for alloys and Tyre, I am in a same dilemma to go with 14" or 15", But more or less convinced with 15" and would be nice if you can share a picture
Alloys - 16K
Tires - 5600 apiece( pricey but ride quality is worth it )

Some very bad pics I managed to get in the morning, I really need to get some good pictures tomorrow morning! -

Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0168.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-swift1.jpg
SuperBee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 14:55   #1435
BHPian

Will be getting delivery of my White ZDI tomorrow. For an upgrade, got a quote of 5.3k per tire for BS Turanza ER60 195/60, and 3.5k per tire for the OE MRF's. I hope the prices seem right !
Old 27th January 2012, 16:45   #1436
BHPian

Question for the Gurus. So far, I have seen 3 different different sets of tyres on new ZDIs in Chennai i.e. JK, MRF and Good year Duraplus.

The tyre shop where I fill nitrogen daily mentioned that Duraplus tyres are much better than the Good year GPS2, JK & MRF and on par with Bridgestone. Does anyone have experience of Duraplus and what is the opinion on the forum on Duraplus? I have booked a ZDI and planning to bargain with the dealer for Good years if possible.
Old 27th January 2012, 18:24   #1437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Question for the Gurus. So far, I have seen 3 different different sets of tyres on new ZDIs in Chennai i.e. JK, MRF and Good year Duraplus.

The tyre shop where I fill nitrogen daily mentioned that Duraplus tyres are much better than the Good year GPS2, JK & MRF and on par with Bridgestone. Does anyone have experience of Duraplus and what is the opinion on the forum on Duraplus? I have booked a ZDI and planning to bargain with the dealer for Good years if possible.
This should help you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-duraplus.html
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2012, 11:22   #1438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post

It's very unfair to make such a broad statement. The duraplus is definitely better than the GPS2.

But which bridgestones? SOme bridgestones are rubbish. I am expecting the Duraplus to be even better than them. Again, some MRFs are way better than some Goodyears and some bridgestones.

The Duraplus is a nice tyre which is aimed at the taxi segment and people who drive a lot. It is designed to last really long.
Old 28th January 2012, 21:53   #1439
BHPian

@NikhilB2008 and @Vikram_D

Thanks. Agree that it is unfair to compare at the manufacturer level than at the product level. I did ask the specific question on which bridgestone but he did not answer. I guess it is typical of a friendly neighborhood tyre store, I expect him to compare product that he sells i.e. he had bridge stones B250 (stock on my current car), some s series from bridgestone.

Let me put the question differently. How does Duraplus compare with
a) MRF ZVTS that comes in Suzuki stock
b) Bridgestone B250 (that is on my current car) other bridge stones at a similar price

I drive on not so good roads and would require puncture resistant tyres with decent grip and less noise if possible. I had bad experience with GPS2 and finding B250 better. Hence wondering how Duraplus fares compares to MRF ZVTS and JK Vectras one of which I am bound to get in my Swift?
Old 29th January 2012, 18:09   #1440
Distinguished - BHPian

The Goodyear Duraplus would be much better than the ZVTS and the JK Vectras. It will be on par or slightly better than the B250s.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks