Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2019, 14:15   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Thanks Sukiwa. Went ahead with the Michelins.

I have a 360 km highway drive coming up tomorrow. Since the tyres are brand new, should it be ok taking the car as i read somewhere that new tyres need breaking in.

This trip would constantly involve speeds above 100.
Tyres usually have a protective coating which takes around 500kms to wear down. That said I think they should manage speeds of 100, I got P3ST for my Ford Ecosport and took it on a 400km drive afterr 200 kms and didnt face any issues with grip even in severe wet driving
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 13:08   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Thanks Sukiwa. Went ahead with the Michelins.
I should say that it is a very wise decision. Not only that I am an XM-2 user myself, I even sold my last car after travelling 78.000 Kms (approximately 50% city usage) with XM-2 tyres. Trust me, the tyres still had good amount of rubber left on them and I know that the new owner of my previous car retained those tyres for at least six or seven more months. I met him on the road at a red light, recognised my old car and asked "Not changed the tyres?" He replied that they were still good and claimed he never even had a puncture in these months. But please do not accelerate or brake hard.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 09:06   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Tyres usually have a protective coating which takes around 500kms to wear down. That said I think they should manage speeds of 100, I got P3ST for my Ford Ecosport and took it on a 400km drive afterr 200 kms and didnt face any issues with grip even in severe wet driving
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
But please do not accelerate or brake hard.
Successfully completed 800 kms in the last 2 days on the XM2's. A few observations.

1. On the onward journey the tyres were heating up a little. This reduced on the return journey. Probably the protective coating wearing off.

2. Huge difference compared to the stock Bridgestones. These are super silent.

3. Ride quality has improved considerably. Even the better half could feel the difference.

Overall satisfied with the purchase.
aditya.86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 13:07   #829
BHPian

After 6 years, 1.03L kms, opted yet again for XM2 for my Ritz. Infact, unlike the last time, I didn't do much research and simply asked for XM2. The only difference that I could make out was the older XM2 in my car were Thailand make and the newer ones are UK made.

The older tires had enough tread left for something around 15k at a conservative guesstimate and the shop owner enquired twice before starting the replacement activities. The tires had actually become hard and road noise along with rear seat comfort was taking a hit. Since we are looking for a new automatic, the last year was more of a drag due to possibility of Ritz getting exchanged. But with no car fitting into budget and requirements matrix, went ahead with tire replacement now. As for these tires, enough said and much recommended!!! Excellent product, no questions asked.
Old 14th December 2019, 15:29   #830
BHPian

Changed all 4 tires on my Honda City ‘16 model to Michelin xm2 at 42000km in April ‘19, now the car has done about 54k kms and I have faced 3 punctures and a side wall pinch today which lead to almost instantaneous deflation. The side wall pinch happened at a very low speed with hardly any load on the wheel.
Anyone else who is facing similar issues?

Last edited by manjith_pm : 14th December 2019 at 15:30. Reason: Added details
manjith_pm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 16:22   #831
BHPian

Guys does the XM2 feature of 22% low rolling resistance really help in mileage ? I have a petrol hyundai with 165 size tires on stock and generally get 13-15 mileage. How much of a mileage hit should i expect if i go with 185 size XM2 tires ?
Old 24th December 2019, 11:53   #832
BHPian

In the newly installed SensAiry TPMS in my Civic (Energy XM2, in Bangalore, altitude = 825 m), what are the recommended low and high pressure margins?

I normally fill 32 psi, but the HASS always fills much higher (may be around 36 psi).

Should I set the TPMS to give me an alarm if the pressure goes below 30 psi and above 36 psi ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th December 2019, 18:21   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Guys does the XM2 feature of 22% low rolling resistance really help in mileage ?
I switched to XM2s about 3 years ago and I haven't seen any real change in the mileage.

Apparently, most modern tyres come with the low rolling resistance feature, so if your current tyres have it then don't expect much of a change.

Quote:
I have a petrol hyundai with 165 size tires on stock and generally get 13-15 mileage. How much of a mileage hit should i expect if i go with 185 size XM2 tires ?

The upsize from 165 to 185 would mean heavier tyres, which can cause a drop in FE.
sidpunjabi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 18:33   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
I switched to XM2s about 3 years ago and I haven't seen any real change in the mileage.

Apparently, most modern tyres come with the low rolling resistance feature, so if your current tyres have it then don't expect much of a change.

The upsize from 165 to 185 would mean heavier tyres, which can cause a drop in FE.
I would also be upgrading to alloys which should be much lighter than the steel ones i have now.
Old 24th December 2019, 18:46   #835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would also be upgrading to alloys which should be much lighter than the steel ones i have now.
Doesn't matter much. Most alloys are almost as heavy or light as steel rims. They can be heavier too depending on the design. The main factor which affects FE negatively while upgrading to wider tires is the increased contact patch with the road which means more friction. While this is good for braking, handling, comfort and cornering, the fuel efficiency is the price that you pay for all of these. Expect 1-2 KMPL drop at the max in FE.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 18:52   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Doesn't matter much. Most alloys are almost as heavy or light as steel rims. They can be heavier too depending on the design. The main factor which affects FE negatively while upgrading to wider tires is the increased contact patch with the road which means more friction. While this is good for braking, handling, comfort and cornering, the fuel efficiency is the price that you pay for all of these. Expect 1-2 KMPL drop at the max in FE.

Regards.
Actually i did weigh a similar steel rim vs a neo devil alloy and the alloy was much lighter. I will ensure my tire and rim combo does not get heavier than stock while expecting a FE drop.
Old 7th January 2020, 14:25   #837
BHPian

After reading through plenty of posts I went with XM2 185 for my 2013 model Ritz VXi two years ago. Since then I have clocked more than 20k kms till date. Old tyres were 165 section from Apollo and the difference with XM2 was very evident. Better braking, better stability in straight lines, car felt a lot more planted. And the best difference was while driving through single lane winding country roads. Glad I had experience with stock tyres to better appreciate how much difference the XM2 made!
Old 19th January 2020, 23:36   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Ram View Post
After reading through plenty of posts I went with XM2 185 for my 2013 model Ritz VXi two years ago. Since then I have clocked more than 20k kms till date. Old tyres were 165 section from Apollo and the difference with XM2 was very evident. Better braking, better stability in straight lines, car felt a lot more planted. And the best difference was while driving through single lane winding country roads. Glad I had experience with stock tyres to better appreciate how much difference the XM2 made!
Did you notice a mileage drop ?
Old 20th January 2020, 12:47   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Did you notice a mileage drop ?
Not really. To be frank I never calculated the mileage before and after tire change. But going by the rough tankful to tankful range I get on my usual highway drive, I didn't see any noticeable difference. If there is a slight drop in mileage that's okay for me because better handling makes up for it.
Old 18th March 2020, 22:41   #840
BHPian

Michelin ‘Energy’ range updated with new XM2+ tyres

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...2-tyres-416597

Excerpt:
Michelin claims a longer tyre life and says that the XM2+ will run about 29 percent longer than its competition. The company says this is down to its ‘Alternate Bridge Technology’, which basically prevents the tread blocks from shuffling, delaying wear.

The rubber is now a full silica-based compound which lowers rolling resistance and offers better grip in the wet. The new tyres also have wider grooves to help with water dispersion.

I had XM2 on my Vento. One of the tyres showed side wall bulge within 8k of running!
I could not get the warranty as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks