Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2017, 09:49   #106

Re: Maruti Ertiga : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
I have a 2013 Ertiga Vdi and it has run close to 40K KMS on stock MRF's. I am looking for replacing the tyres. I want to retain the stock size. I am unable to make up mind as the choices are too much. With MRF i have had only couple of punctures so far i have driven in worst of roads but it has never given up. But after reading this thread want to try Michelin? but reviews are mixed for Michelin. i hear people says they are prone for punctures. please guide.
You can try Bridgestone 290 for silient road noise compared to MRF and I got a good tyre life with smooth ride upto 50K KMs.
Old 21st February 2017, 12:52   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
But after reading this thread want to try Michelin? but reviews are mixed for Michelin. i hear people says they are prone for punctures. please guide.
My Ertiga ZDi is on Michellin Primary 3ST 195 60 R15 for past 14 months and 18500 kms. I had changed to 3ST after running stock Goodyear for 31k kms.

Not a single puncture till date. My drives are 75% highways and 25% in Blr city. So as such I dont see any issues going for this tyre.

And now about the 3ST - One word AWESOME. My past ownership experiences are 50k kms on Esteem (Bridgestones), 29k kms on Swift Diesel (Yoko A Drives), 33k kms on Fiesta Classic (Stock MRF)
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 09:28   #108
BHPian

Upsizing with better handling in mind.

After almost 55000 kms on the stock MRFs, I'm planning to finally move to some better rubber on my 2014 ZDi

Usage Pattern:
80% City + 15% Highway +5% Rural roads

Passengers/Load:
65% Driver only (Me! )
25% 2 to 5 passengers
10% 7 Passengers + Full Luggage

Main criteria for tyre selection would be better/improved handling followed by less road noise.

I'm planning to upsize to 195 or even 205 without decreasing overall diameter - 195/65 R 15 or 205/60 R15.

Primary contenders:
1. Primacy 3ST
2. Conti Max Contact MC5

Talking about tyre life, I would be happy with anything around 40000 kms or more. I just did a random inquiry into prices and 3STs are coming out to be 1000 more than MC5s, per tyre. Is the difference worth the performance/efficiency gains? I had used 2 sets of ContiEcoContacts in my previous car (Tata Indigo TDI) and was quite happy with their performance and life - they lasted around 110000 kms, combined.

One more thing to consider would be that I would also be going for a remap, after 30-45 days of the tyre change, so my belief is that the larger contact area of upsized tyres would be suitably compensated with increased performance coming from the remap. A suspension upgrade to better options is also in pipeline but that would come 15-20k kms down the line (Bilsteins are not available for Ertiga, will try something else).

What do the members here recommend? Are there any other brands/models that I should also consider?

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh.
Old 15th March 2017, 21:29   #109
BHPian

After 42000 Kms in 2.5 years, finally upgraded to 195/65-R15 Conti Max Contact MC5 tyres today. Initial feel is great after having used the hard and noisy Goodyears. Noise has reduced drastically and extra rubber seems to give a much better feel. The steering feedback also seems to have improved. Though the tyres had life for another 5K kms atleast, I had 4 punctures in the last month which meant that it was time to take the plunge!!

A big thank you to all on this forum for helping me take a decision especially Parag bhai, sam_sant2005 & Rajain

Cheers
Rahulb22
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 12:28   #110
Senior - BHPian

Planning to change tyres for my Ertiga (still running on stock MRF ZVTV @ 66K) There is enough rubber to last another 10-15K i feel but off late i notice slight chipping near the edges, so i don't want to take any chances during long drives

Frankly i am happy with MRF ZVTV, they are good. Last puncture i had was like 25000 kms ago. All i do is rotate once in every 10K and fill nitrogen once in a month. So they do their job well. Noise is bit on the higher side thanks to noise insulation on Ertiga(+ diesel clatter)

Having gone through the messages i feel 195/60 R15 seem to be the favorite among BHPians. Please correct me if i am wrong.

I have short listed contenders based on the previous messages
1. Yoko Earth 1
2. Michelin P3 ST
3. Michelin XM2
4. Conti - MC5

I guess only Yoko Earth 1 comes in the stock size for Ertiga.

Requirements
1. Should last another 50K
2. Comfortable, good grip and reduced noise
3. FE - I dont want to sacrifice much. if upsizing reduces FE, i will rather stick to stock size 185/65 R15s
4. Cheaper the better

Also do you change all 5 tyres ? I think i can change 4 and keep old one as spare( may not work if i upsize).
Mostly because of the tubeless tyre, i can drive around and get it repaired instead of changing to spare tyre.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 12th April 2017 at 12:30.
Old 12th April 2017, 13:03   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

I guess only Yoko Earth 1 comes in the stock size for Ertiga.

Also do you change all 5 tyres ? I think i can change 4 and keep old one as spare( may not work if i upsize).
I changed my Ertigas OEM tyres last week. Bought 4 number of Yoko E1 195/60/R15 from a neighborhood store. Total cost was Rs 20500 ( including WA/WB and valves. Original tyres had 20k km more tread on it after driving for 46k km, but became very hard and was giving poor braking performance. Ertiga was squealing and ABS kicking in often where as my Nano was not complaining on the exact same spots, so decided to change the tyres eventhough tread was there.

I chose earth 1 primarily because of my good experience with them earlier in a Ritz

Kept one of the oem tyres as spare with a calculated risk of not running on spare for longer and having an air pump always inside the vehicle.

Last edited by arjithin : 12th April 2017 at 13:27.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 13:14   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I changed my Ertigas OEM tyres last week. Bought 4 number of Yoko E1 195/60/R15 from a neighborhood store.
I guess 1 week is too early to ask you if there is any reduction in FE. I remember that last time i had upsized the tyres on my swift petrol from stock 165 to Yoko A drives (185 i guess) and FE went down slightly around .5 kmpl

Anything in range of 0.5 kmpl is acceptable i guess
Old 12th April 2017, 13:25   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess 1 week is too early to ask you if there is any reduction in FE. I remember that last time i had upsized the tyres on my swift petrol from stock 165 to Yoko A drives (185 i guess) and FE went down slightly around .5 kmpl

Anything in range of 0.5 kmpl is acceptable i guess
I drove around 700 km in last 10 days including a Mysore trip. Last tankful to tankful gave a healthy 16.7kmpl (all AC, 320 km to mysore and back, rest in Bangalore ORR traffic).

I am driving to Kerala tomorrow, will give you an update on Monday post my 1300km trip.

But I am not sure if we can really make out diffences of 0.5kmpl, too many other variables at play here.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 14:46   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have short listed contenders based on the previous messages
1. Yoko Earth 1
2. Michelin P3 ST
3. Michelin XM2
4. Conti - MC5

All four tires are good.

Quote:
Requirements
1. Should last another 50K
2. Comfortable, good grip and reduced noise
3. FE - I dont want to sacrifice much. if upsizing reduces FE, i will rather stick to stock size 185/65 R15s
4. Cheaper the better

1. All these tires can last 50k kms if maintained properly.
2. Michelins would be the best in terms of comfort and noise
3. No noticeable impact on FE.
4. Yokos would be the cheapest.

Quote:
Mostly because of the tubeless tyre, i can drive around and get it repaired instead of changing to spare tyre
If you have never used the spare tire till date, then you can exchange it with a new tire and save some money.

Else:
Get 5 new tires in 195/60 R15
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 19:05   #115
Senior - BHPian

Between the two Michelin which one is better? Both xm2 and p3st are priced similar

I couldn't make out much but I think p3st is more towards comfort and hence softer?
Old 12th April 2017, 21:11   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Between the two Michelin which one is better? Both xm2 and p3st are priced similar

I couldn't make out much but I think p3st is more towards comfort and hence softer?
Have a look at parag's ownership thread, he recently changed his xm2.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 09:50   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post

I am driving to Kerala tomorrow, will give you an update on Monday post my 1300km trip.

But I am not sure if we can really make out diffences of 0.5kmpl, too many other variables at play here.
Back from the trip and I can certainly say the ride comfort is increased. Few people noticed this before even I said about tyre change.

Mileage was around 17.5 kmpl, which is around 1 kmpl less than what I normally get in a comparable trip. I can think of three possible reasons

1. HOT HOT climate, AC was on always. Hotter temperature means less efficient engine too. Normally AC is on 60-70% of the trip.
2. Speeds, I was driving a bit faster than my regular cruising speed
3. Higher tyre size.

So my take is the impact on FE because of the tyre upgrade is well within the 0.5kmpl limit thought I don't have scientific data to prove it.
Old 18th April 2017, 18:47   #118
Senior - BHPian

Got following quotes from neighbourhood shop
Size: 195/60 R15
P3ST - 6400
Xm2 - 6100

He doesnt stock Yokohama so was reluctant to source

Is it a good deal? I can bargain a bit if I am buying on the spot

How to check the manufacturing date? Other than on the sticker which can be pasted !! Also Michelin tyres are made in Thailand

Last edited by rajshenoy : 18th April 2017 at 18:56.
Old 18th April 2017, 21:23   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got following quotes from neighbourhood shop
Size: 195/60 R15
P3ST - 6400
Xm2 - 6100

He doesnt stock Yokohama so was reluctant to source

Is it a good deal? I can bargain a bit if I am buying on the spot

How to check the manufacturing date? Other than on the sticker which can be pasted !! Also Michelin tyres are made in Thailand
Is WB/WA/valves included in the Price? The Price seems to be on higher side on first look . Ask for quotes from couple of dealers and pick the best one. Also negotiate on buyback price on your existing tyres.

If you are closer to Langford road/JC road, you can try Madhus. They always give a decent deal for team bhpians.

manufacturing week will be stamped on the sidewall in WWYY format..where WW is the business week and YY is the year.
Old 3rd July 2017, 13:38   #120

I didnt see this thread until after I read Parag's Ertiga thread and have posted the exact query there as well. I hope that's allowed. If not, mods please remove that post if you have to.

My issue - Due to Parag's extremely informative thread on the Ertiga, I am almost convinced that I should go for the Michelin 3PST 195/65/15 based on his experience. However, I have gotten a lower quote from a dealer in Mumbai for Pirelli 195/65/R15 at Rs. 5576/- against Rs. 6350/- for the Michelins.

I was wondering if anyone has any information and/or experience with Pirelli's on Ertiga over here. I have to buy the tyres today or by Wednesday latest. Any suggestions from anyone will be most helpful.

Deepak

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks