Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you replace tyres by age or tread-wear ? If by age, every how many years ?
I change tyres only when the tread goes below the acceptable depth. 244 56.88%
I change tyres based on age - every 2 years, irrespective of tread depth. 7 1.63%
I change tyres based on age - every 3 years, irrespective of tread depth. 22 5.13%
I change tyres based on age - every 4 years, irrespective of tread depth. 38 8.86%
I change tyres based on age - every 5 years, irrespective of tread depth. 60 13.99%
I change tyres based on age - every 6 years, irrespective of tread depth. 19 4.43%
I change tyres based on age - every 7 years, irrespective of tread depth. 6 1.40%
I change tyres based on age - every 8 years, irrespective of tread depth. 3 0.70%
I change tyres based on age - every 9 years, irrespective of tread depth. 2 0.47%
I change tyres based on age - every 10 years, irrespective of tread depth. 2 0.47%
I change tyres only when they go bald (no tread at all). 26 6.06%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2018, 14:06   #151
BHPian

Re: Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Do check the Michelin Primacy 4 ...... Premji Tires based out of Thane area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Have you checked out Continental ? .........You may check this at your local tyre shop.
Thanks Guys for your responses.

With GoodYearATM falling under 24k, the gap with Michelin is reasonable. Also, Verna is a soft ride so I believe it should be okay to give up a bit on that.

As for Continental, I was offered MC5 at 6500 a piece that sums to 26k - somehow I am not that convinced with what I saw at that price. I could be completely wrong.

With GoodYear Assurance Tripplemax, unconditional warranty is a big plus and in my latest talk with a dealer I am getting a November 1st week batch.

I am leaning heavily in favour of GY now. Will update what I do finally, hopefully on Saturday.
Old 22nd November 2018, 15:41   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Also, Verna is a soft ride so I believe it should be okay to give up a bit on that.
Good Luck with your tires. Have you heard of Roger Ab? URL
That maybe another good solution for the Verna's soft suspension. In many cities you get a 1 week Trial for the RogerAb and you can return it if you do not like it.
Old 22nd November 2018, 16:44   #153
BANNED

Quote:
Goodyear ASSURANCE Tripplemax: looks like best deal at a shade under 24 k all inclusive. Reviews have been fairly good.

Yokohama Earth 1- This has caught my eye, apparently they are more premium than GY and have great reviews. 25k all inclusive for four tyres.

----

What do you recommend keeping the Verna in mind?

Thanks in advance

I have a current gen Verna with Hankook shoes. They are neither hard nor soft, somewhere in between. I would rate them as very good. You can check them out too.

In my previous car (not Verna), I have used Yokohama Earth1. They are good tyres, a bit on harder side. I too did have the dilemma between Yoko and GY, but settled for Yoko which I never regretted.

If budget and durability are not your concern, please go for Michelin.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 21:47   #154
BHPian

Quote:
That maybe another good solution for the Verna's soft suspension. In many cities you get a 1 week Trial for the RogerAb and you can return it if you do not like it.
Thanks mate. Looks like an interesting product but not available in Pune. Will definitely want to try these out.
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:20   #155
Senior - BHPian

Looks this is going Off-Topic but here is some more info:

Quote:
Thanks mate. Looks like an interesting product but not available in Pune. Will definitely want to try these out.
Check this link: URL

Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?-rogerab.png
RogerAb On Amazon.in

Try the Mobile Number provided in the Amazon Listing and check if they offer a trial in Pune. The listing does call out All India Assistance for fitment - they may have a local tie up with some tire shop in Pune.

Quote:
1)Restores Car Height , by 3-6 cms Avoids colliding of chassis or under carriage while going over large speed breakers and deep potholes even in fully loaded condition.
2)Intermittent interference to uneven road surfaces Reduces road jerks & symmetrically restored height & steering geometry for prolonged duration.
3) Increased landing force of tyres, Increased road grip and braking efficiency at high speeds.
4) Easy fitment & retention, Can be easily fitted without any tools or removing any suspension parts and retains it's original fitment posture.
5)Dual benefit of flexibility and strength which Reduced severe road jerks in large potholes and increased durability.
6) Retains it's dimensions & characteristics on treacherous Indian roads and comes with Unconditional replacement warranty of 2 years

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 23rd November 2018 at 10:21.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 17:35   #156
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
I ve been using Rogerab Suspension Dampers on my Yeti for the last 4 years or so. And we ve used them on my Father’s I20 for the last 3 years. They are essentially a thick PVC sort of circular strip, which is attached in the coil spring using a simple plastic one time use “tie”.
They are mounted on all 4 coil springs. You need 4 for your car, obviously. Most of these tyre centre chaps will tend to have stock and will mount it for you by jacking up your vehicle. It is a 15 minute fix.
Essentially what they do is dampen the up and down articulation of the coil springs and consequently, when one goes over these huge elephantine speed breakers and bad potholes etc, the up and down movement of the vehicle is inhibited to some extent.
This way, even with a full load of luggage and passengers, the car does not “bottom out” on some of these obstacles.
The rogerab dampers have marginally increased my Yeti’s height by perhaps 5mm.
Add to this, the fact that I have marginally upsized my tyres to 215/65/16, I get another 5mm of extra clearance.
So while the Yeti’s stock GC is 180mm, I have added an extra 10mm in the above manner.
There is absolutely no difference in the handling of the vehicle around corners and at speeds, but this whole thing makes a massive difference while driving over the moon craters that we have in Bangalore on what pass for our public roads!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 17:29   #157
BHPian

Thanks @vsrivatsa and @cs_rajesh for your suggestions.

Wanted to update that I finally did the replacement of all 4 tyres to GoodYear Assurance TM 195/55/R16 at a shop in Baner, Pune.

Total cost was to be Rs.23,200/- including balancing and alignment, so Rs.5800/- per tyre. Yeah, I agreed to a pay a premium of 150 Rs per tyre over another offer which was a little far and tyre was comparatively 30 weeks older.

The batch I got was 35th week of 2018.

They charged me additional 150 for each valve -I hear that these valves actually are very low priced but dealers make a huge mark up here. They were asking 250/ a piece initially but settled for 150. Is that an okay deal?

Initial Impressions:
Coming from a Bridgestone B250 and same profile, honestly in my 15-20 kms drive so far I have not found anything remarkably good or bad. Of course the noise seems to be a notch less but that could be because I am coming from a 6 year old set. Also, the road undulations are slightly better absorbed by the rubber now owing to the softness of a new tyre.

I did test it on a sharp corner within my appartment where earlier I used to experience a bit of a fish tailing which now is absent -so the grip is definitely better. Again, this is all in comparison to my old tyres - cannot say anything with certainty in comparison to a new B250.

Overall happy. 2 year unconditional warranty surely peace of mind.

Cheers!!

Last edited by Rodie09 : 26th November 2018 at 17:31. Reason: typographic error correction
Old 28th November 2018, 15:50   #158
BANNED

Quote:

They charged me additional 150 for each valve -I hear that these valves actually are very low priced but dealers make a huge mark up here. They were asking 250/ a piece initially but settled for 150. Is that an okay deal?

The MRF one costs each at Rs20/- at T&S store. Not sure if the valves you got are of any special type.

By the way, why did you change your valves?
Old 28th November 2018, 16:44   #159
BANNED

My tyre changing history is very 'unrealistic', hence I am not able to vote on this poll. My Honda City came up Bridgestone tyres (175/65/15), which were changed after 27,000 kms (half life was left) to 195/60/15 Accelere tyres while upgrading to 6.5j alloys. Used them for 15,000 kms and were noisy, hence changed them and opted for Michelin XM2 in 195/60/15 sections. Using them for last 31,000 kms and they may run for 15,000 kms more. But I am not sure of me retaining those till then.
Old 28th November 2018, 16:45   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Ideally, these valves are given free if you are changing the tyre. You did the good thing by changing the valves as well.

But Rs.150 is a huge ripoff per valve. Typically it costs 20-30 bucks per valve. Triton makes the best valves in India. This is one of the ways by the tyre shops to increase their profit margin. Technically, they have sold you each tyre for 150 bucks more by charging you 150 for a tyre valve.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 17:14   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rip-off. But they usually do. Even puncture repair shops charge that much here. I bought a set of 10 valves made by triton from Maruti. Yes, they are OE suppliers to Maruti and I got 10 pieces for Rs. 280/-, so Rs. 28/- per piece.

And on tires, I would say good choice. GY assurance TM are good tires in the price bracket they are sold. Definitely better than Bridgestone B250. I have been using them since last 2 years and I don't have many reasons to complain.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 18:06   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Rip-off. But they usually do. Even puncture repair shops charge that much here.
It depends on the type of car you drive. Drive a poverty spec Nano or M800 and you'll be charged Rs. 50 for the same valve which they sell for Rs. 200 to a D segment owner.

Quote:
I bought a set of 10 valves made by triton from Maruti. Yes, they are OE suppliers to Maruti and I got 10 pieces for Rs. 280/-, so Rs. 28/- per piece.
Posting a picture of the same so that it helps the needy:

Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?-valves.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 18:26   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
I have decided. My Gypsy has Goodyear Wranglers 215/75/15. 2 years old. Still in Brand new condition because they have hardly driven 6000kms in their life. I m going to use them till they wear out, just like I would, a pair of shoes. And I’m going to flout all the usual “rules” about “tyres must be changed every four years because they harden” and so on. Let’s see what happens. Anyway I dont drive the Gypsy off road. I mostly use it at normal acceptable speeds, rarely exceeding 80-100kmph. So Ive made up my mind to experiment on this and see what happens.
Given your usage (minimal) and driving style (sedate & no offroad), I wouldn't expect any abnormal outcome from the experiment. And as the poll itself indicates, an overwhelming majority of us anyway use a tyre till it's tread wears out - which is what you are planning to do.

Except for our Swift & AStar that came OE fitted with crappy JK-Vectras, where all the 10 tyres started deforming after 3+ years (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...g-quality.html (JK tyres, simply crappy manufacturing quality!)), all our cars have had tyres run till the tread wears below limits & not by years, because our running is very low.
Old 28th November 2018, 18:44   #164
BHPian

Thanks guys for your comments about the valve thing.

I know it was a rip off and I was in fact paying 150 more per tyre, I had bargained hard from 6500 to 5800 per tyre, so this was their way of making up.

The problem is when they open up all the wheels and have pulled out the tyres already, you are not left with much choice when they come up telling that valves need to be changed too. I am not an expert on tyres or valves so I would rather take a blow of few hundred bucks than being worried later on.

But I intend to go back to the shop soon and tell them what I think they are up to.

I was also upset that they didn't provide me any report of balancing and alignment. Their excuse was that they are not getting a printer for their imported machine. I had to be content with a picture of their screen.
Old 29th November 2018, 09:18   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
It depends on the type of car you drive. Drive a poverty spec Nano or M800 and you'll be charged Rs. 50 for the same valve which they sell for Rs. 200 to a D segment owner.
Posting a picture of the same so that it helps the needy:
I purchased this after seeing your post in another thread few months back. I have kept 4 valves in of the car as spare in case of any emergency valve leakage or if the tyre repair guy tries to rip me off by asking for 200 bucks for the valve. I will cooly give him these spare valves and ask him to use it.

Quote:
I was also upset that they didn't provide me any report of balancing and alignment. Their excuse was that they are not getting a printer for their imported machine. I had to be content with a picture of their screen.
The reason why they do not give the print out is that it gets recorded on the system and they will need to invoice it. I have seen this too a few times.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th November 2018 at 07:46. Reason: Trimming quoted text
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks