Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you replace tyres by age or tread-wear ? If by age, every how many years ?
I change tyres only when the tread goes below the acceptable depth. 244 56.88%
I change tyres based on age - every 2 years, irrespective of tread depth. 7 1.63%
I change tyres based on age - every 3 years, irrespective of tread depth. 22 5.13%
I change tyres based on age - every 4 years, irrespective of tread depth. 38 8.86%
I change tyres based on age - every 5 years, irrespective of tread depth. 60 13.99%
I change tyres based on age - every 6 years, irrespective of tread depth. 19 4.43%
I change tyres based on age - every 7 years, irrespective of tread depth. 6 1.40%
I change tyres based on age - every 8 years, irrespective of tread depth. 3 0.70%
I change tyres based on age - every 9 years, irrespective of tread depth. 2 0.47%
I change tyres based on age - every 10 years, irrespective of tread depth. 2 0.47%
I change tyres only when they go bald (no tread at all). 26 6.06%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2021, 19:20   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?

Folks, in a bit of confusion. I changed the 4 tires on my City in one go and went for Michelin Primacy 4 ST 195/60R15s. I retained the spare XM2 at that time. Now the age of the spare tire is close to 7 years and I feel its better to change the spare.

Given that Michelins P4STs are not available what would be nearest match from the below tires:
1. Continental UC6 (Link)
2. Yoko BluEarth-GT AE51(Link)
3. MRF Perfinza

I do have a 5th Alloy wheel and plan to use the full 5 wheel rotation approach.
Old 18th October 2021, 19:32   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Folks, in a bit of confusion. I changed the 4 tires on my City in one go and went for Michelin Primacy 4 ST 195/60R15s. I retained the spare XM2 at that time. Now the age of the spare tire is close to 7 years and I feel its better to change the spare.
Use the spare as a spare itself, use it while you drive at moderate speeds to the nearest puncture shop. As a spare this 7 year old tyre will do just fine as it has been sitting inside the trunk well protected.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 07:56   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
As a spare this 7 year old tyre will do just fine as it has been sitting inside the trunk well protected.
I'm not so sure about that. I speak from experience. I had a semi used tyre sitting in the boot of my Ritz for a long time. When I put it to use due to another tyre which was leaking air, it shredded apart like nobody's business within 250 meters. Be very very careful with unused tyres that have been sitting idle for years.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 09:18   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I speak from experience. I had a semi used tyre sitting in the boot of my Ritz for a long time. When I put it to use due to another tyre which was leaking air, it shredded apart like nobody's business within 250 meters. Be very very careful with unused tyres that have been sitting idle for years.
It was probably under inflated and this will happen to a brand new tyre as well, not possible otherwise for an unused tyre that is 7 years old.

Now coming to Honda specifically their owners manual suggests replacing all tyres after upto 10 years
I have used tires that are a lot older as spare but drove at moderate speeds until I could get to a tyre repair guy, I don't suggest throwing away an unused spare that would only be used as a spare.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 09:06   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

Now coming to Honda specifically their owners manual suggests replacing all tyres after upto 10 years
I have used tires that are a lot older as spare but drove at moderate speeds until I could get to a tyre repair guy, I don't suggest throwing away an unused spare that would only be used as a spare.
Concur with your suggestion that a tyre life is good upto 10 years.
Instead of using the 7 yo spare tyre mostly as spare unit, I would put it into normal daily use to exploit its limited residual life upto 10 years.
Old 20th October 2021, 09:22   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Depends on the brand of tire. Premium brands like Michelin, Yokohoma tires will last for 10 years (subject to tread wear, of course). Following info is from Michelin website:

https://www.michelin.in/auto/tips-an...e-my-car-tyres
Quote:
If the tyres haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres. Even if they appear to be in a usable condition and have not been worn down to the tread wear indicator. This applies to spare tyres as well.
I would be OK with a 10 year old spare from a good brand and be mindful of my speeds when driving with it. Premium tires like Michelin Primacy, Pilot sport etc. don't degrade like cheaper tires and are safe to use for upto 10 years.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:30   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a semi used tyre sitting in the boot of my Ritz for a long time. When I put it to use due to another tyre which was leaking air, it shredded apart like nobody's business within 250 meters.
What brand was the tyre ? The make matters quite a bit when it comes to tyre wear&tear, bulging, life, mileage etc. We have had 10 JKTyre Vectras from 2 cars go bad (deformed & bulged) within 3-5 years, while the OE Bridgestones in my Baleno1.6 lasted 10yrs / 80K kms.

BTW, I still have the almost unused 16yr old OE Bridgestone spare in the boot. In all these years used it only couple times during puncture of running tyres. Since I opted for only 4 alloy wheels, it never got used. Must check how it's doing.
Old 29th October 2021, 07:24   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
What brand was the tyre ? The make matters quite a bit when it comes to tyre wear & tear, bulging, life, mileage etc.
It was indeed JK Tyre, the equivalent of the crappy TVS 2 wheeler tyres in the 4 wheeler world.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks