Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

View Poll Results: Do you replace tyres by age or tread-wear ? If by age, every how many years ?
I change tyres only when the tread goes below the acceptable depth. 244 57.01%
I change tyres based on age - every 2 years, irrespective of tread depth. 7 1.64%
I change tyres based on age - every 3 years, irrespective of tread depth. 22 5.14%
I change tyres based on age - every 4 years, irrespective of tread depth. 37 8.64%
I change tyres based on age - every 5 years, irrespective of tread depth. 60 14.02%
I change tyres based on age - every 6 years, irrespective of tread depth. 19 4.44%
I change tyres based on age - every 7 years, irrespective of tread depth. 6 1.40%
I change tyres based on age - every 8 years, irrespective of tread depth. 3 0.70%
I change tyres based on age - every 9 years, irrespective of tread depth. 2 0.47%
I change tyres based on age - every 10 years, irrespective of tread depth. 2 0.47%
I change tyres only when they go bald (no tread at all). 26 6.07%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 14:05   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?

Voted for the first choice (Depending on the thread depth)
But the fact is, our cars will cover 30k~40k km in 2~3 years which is not a bad age for tyres.

IMO aging tyres are more dangerous than bald tyres. Aging tyres turn brittle (harder) and prone to crack during hard braking and driving over rough roads.
Old 19th May 2014, 14:09   #92
BHPian

I would look at the overall condition of the tyre and yes how many kilometers the car has run on them. If they are badly worn or worn unevenly I would change them irrespective of the age.
Old 20th May 2014, 03:20   #93
BHPian

I changed my Santro Tyre Last Evening,

Have not yet Voted as I would like as Admin to read-on and revise the POLL.

Had hard days since long time, wanted to change, them but tight budget, and very limited city Run once or twice a month kept on postponing it,
One Tyre was almost Damaged, It was torn, wire visible, and was in spare, was on "gaiter".

I had stock Bridgestones (Tube Type) Which were 2006 made, and came with car, they did Excellent Job till 67K on odometer.
Wanted to Go with Bridgestone again, but dealer was quoting 3500/- + valve + balancing, while MRF ZVTS were Rs.2980/- Each. (155/70R13)

So Bought ZVTS, (Tube-Less)

Now to Vote Can some mod consider adding options like
  • Tyres were giving driving issues,
  • Tyres were Visibly Damaged,
  • Tyres were old enough and were on to-do list for long.

Above would also help people like me to vote correctly,
as I think the poll option "go bald (no tread at all)." doesn't justifies the damaged ones.

A 67000+ km run Bridgestone still had tread, may be proper rotation, or luck.

MRF ZVTS
Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?-img_20140519_zvts.jpg

New Tyre Getting Ready
Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?-img_20140519_tyre.jpg

The Sweet Looking Nozzle
Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?-img_20140519_tyre2.jpg

The Old Ones, will Miss them
Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?-img_20140518_old.jpg
Old 20th May 2014, 07:19   #94
BANNED

In my case, I change the tyre depending on the TWI.

Age is not a matter to me since I use the car for 110 kms a day so tyres last me anywhere in between 50-55K minimum. I do wheel balancing + wheel alignment every 5K and tyre rotation + Alignment + balancing every 10K.

I follow 5-wheel rotation process to keep all the 5 tyres in good health. No compromise there.

Anurag.
Old 21st May 2014, 12:34   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag
I do wheel balancing + wheel alignment every 5K and tyre rotation + Alignment + balancing every 10K.
Regular tyre-rotation is indeed a good thing. I follow it religiously and believe that the exceptional life I get out of my tyres is partly due to this.
However, wheel balancing every 5K kms is IMO not only overkill, but not needed unless you have removed the tyres off the rims during the 5K period.
Alignment is good, but again I don't know what would be a good interval for getting this done - 5K or 10K kms or ???
Old 26th May 2014, 17:30   #96
BHPian

Replaced stock JK vectras of my logan after 5.5 years and 59k kms. The tread wear indicators had come to the top surface and the tyres also became distinctively harder and was giving a rough ride for some time past. Started thinking about the replacement after they completed the fifth year. Finally replaced them with a set of XM2 and is absolutely happy about the difference in ride quality.
Looks like 5 years is a good time for the life of a tyre. After that the cushioning effect of the tyres are reduced.
Old 29th June 2014, 04:48   #97

Not sure if this is the right place for this question. @Admin: please move the question to appropriate thread if necessary..

Question:
My VW polo is 3.5 years years old now.. I had nearly quarantined my car for the last two years due to my travel abroad. Car was used very sparsely by my parents (~100km per month or sometimes even less)

Now that I've returned, should I change my tyres or keep it? On what basis should I decide on changing my tyres? Could there be some degrade in the tyres due to this sparse usage?
Old 29th June 2014, 09:00   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhanBabu View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for this question. @Admin: please move the question to appropriate thread if necessary..

Question:
My VW polo is 3.5 years years old now.. I had nearly quarantined my car for the last two years due to my travel abroad. Car was used very sparsely by my parents (~100km per month or sometimes even less)

Now that I've returned, should I change my tyres or keep it? On what basis should I decide on changing my tyres? Could there be some degrade in the tyres due to this sparse usage?
Do change the tyres. No doubt there as the car is 3.5 years old moreover with sparse usage for 2 years the tyres would have got hard so it better to change them than to be sorry.

Anurag.
Old 29th June 2014, 11:25   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhanBabu
What is the total mileage done on the car ? Also, could you please post a snap or two of the current tyres? Close-up shots focussing on the treads and sidewall. I assume all 5 tyres would be in similar condition - so snap of any one of them would be enough.

If your car was standing at same place for long time (due to limited usage over 2 years) it is possible that the rubber could have deteriorated in some patches due to various factors, in which case it is good to change them. But if that is not the case, I see no reason why they cannot be retained.
Old 30th June 2014, 04:57   #100
Senior - BHPian

I am getting this type of wear in the 35k done MRF ZV2K tyres: only the outer edge of the tread is having this type of saw-tooth type wear.

i came to see this only because of a drumming type noise at 60+ kmph speeds and that seem to increase with the speed.

This is in a Ford fiesta classic; and it has a comfortable 25k(judgement based on tread wear indicator line) life left.

EDIT: found out the details with more googling. Looks like tyre rotation(lack of) was the culprit.

http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/foru...ne-tyres#80923
Attached Thumbnails
Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?-dsc00844_medium.jpg  

Last edited by ramzsys : 30th June 2014 at 05:05. Reason: updates
Old 30th June 2014, 06:51   #101
Senior - BHPian

My oldie 800 had done merely 38000 kms when i sold her after 17 years.She was running the 3rd pair of Mrf Zigma's on the front and the second on the rear.The tyre life if not driven much is around 5-7 years and the tyre deteriorates once it reaches 5 years +.The stepney which was a 97 year spare had literaly broken into two with the wires protruding out and had to be thrown away.
Old 30th June 2014, 11:35   #102
Senior - BHPian

I change the tyres based on the tread depth.

Have the stock Apollo Amazer 3 G -145/80R13 on my WR CNG and it has run some 57XXX kms.
In all probabilities, will change the set in the next 3000 kms on a priority basis!!
Old 30th June 2014, 11:50   #103
BHPian

My All New Honda City(2012 model) came with Goodyear tyres that made a grating/humming sound even on regular roads. This is due to the hard rubber compound on these tyres combined with low noise insulation in the honda city cabin.

Swapped them for Michelin Energy XM2 within a week. Reduced road noise, superior grip and handling and excellent performance on wet roads. Have driven 20,000 kms on these new tyres with no significant wear visible. As per manufacturer instructions, the tyres need to be changed when the tread goes below the wear indicators. This is an image I picked up from the Michelin website.

Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?-michelin_worn_tyre_wear_indicators.jpe

Here's a link to the Michelin India website with further details.

Changing Car Tyres - Michelin

Hope this helps

Regards,
ArvindYoga
Old 30th June 2014, 12:20   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I am getting this type of wear in the 35k done MRF ZV2K tyres: only the outer edge of the tread is having this type of saw-tooth type wear.

i came to see this only because of a drumming type noise at 60+ kmph speeds and that seem to increase with the speed.

This is in a Ford fiesta classic; and it has a comfortable 25k(judgement based on tread wear indicator line) life left.

EDIT: found out the details with more googling. Looks like tyre rotation(lack of) was the culprit.

http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/foru...ne-tyres#80923
Can you post a better picture preferably with the tyres turned and a picture from the front side and the latest alignment readings that you must have when u got the alignment done ?
Old 30th June 2014, 13:18   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
This line happened to catch my attention, could it be issues with wheel bearing?

Do get the Wheel alignment + Wheel balancing and rotation done to see if the issue persists or no.

Anurag.

Most Viewed