BHPian

re: Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Got my Duster shod with these cool shoes:

Attachment 1233813

Attachment 1233814

Attachment 1233815
Have your tyres been mounted the wrong way? i can see 'inner side' written on the front tyre.......

regards
Old 15th December 2014, 00:15   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Looks good but 215/65/R16 is the same as the stock size hence the gap between the wheel arches!

What options are available in AT in India which are larger in size, say 235/70/R16 ?? Idea is to reasonably close the wheel arch gap and change the soft roader looks into something that is a bit more aggressive, all of this whilst not compromising too much on highway cruising. Also, will this size fit in stock alloy that will come in the Duster AWD?
For oversizing & widening, the most important things to check are fender/suspension clearance and wheel width.
From what I understand the Duster comes with 6.5" wheels, so a 235/70 or even 235/65 will certainly fit on the wheel.
Old 6th February 2015, 12:27   #48

Had a satisfactory mileage from the stock MRF Wanderer tyres. After 60,000 KMs changed to Yokohama Geolander G series with the same specx..215/16/65. Settled for this tyre after a lot of research... Main factors for me to decide were:
1. Braking performance(since my duster doesnt have ABS)
2. Highway ride comfort and occasional soft off road dependency
3. Mileage
Its been 12,000 KMs with the Yoko, and till date no issues (spare the odd tyre burst at 2k, which was replaced by the dealer on a 50-50 cost sharing basis). The performance of the Yoko is much superior, with excellent braking traction on thar roads and decent off road capabilities as well. Decided on not upgrading the tyres for the below reasons:
1. My usage is about 85% on highways only. Having a 235mm wide tyre wasn't warranted. The noise was also a factor.
2. Not many choices in the make/model for logical upgrade options. Eg 235/60/17 was available primarily in Hankook. Given the lack of mileage and performance issues of Hankook, I decided to stick with the stock specx itself.
Very satisfied with the Yoko!
josephnishanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 12:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephnishanth View Post
Had a satisfactory mileage from the stock MRF Wanderer tyres. After 60,000 KMs changed to Yokohama Geolander G series with the same specx..215/16/65. Settled for this tyre after a lot of research... Main factors for me to decide were:
1. Braking performance(since my duster doesnt have ABS)
2. Highway ride comfort and occasional soft off road dependency
3. Mileage
Its been 12,000 KMs with the Yoko, and till date no issues (spare the odd tyre burst at 2k, which was replaced by the dealer on a 50-50 cost sharing basis). The performance of the Yoko is much superior, with excellent braking traction on thar roads and decent off road capabilities as well.
Very satisfied with the Yoko!
Hi Josephnishanth, how much did you have to pay for the Geolandars? What other options did you consider before you finalized on the Geolandars?

The OEM tyre (MRF Wanderers) on my Duster are nearing 60k kms and I may have to buy new tyres shortly. As such I have not found any fault with the Wanderers given that it is run mostly on rural roads, but I want to check out other options as well. Your answers will help me choose my tyres.
Old 6th February 2015, 13:12   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Hi Josephnishanth, how much did you have to pay for the Geolandars? What other options did you consider before you finalized on the Geolandars?
I paid INR 8500 for one tyre. It was 9900 earlier. Yoko is the only brand to have marginally reduced the cost due to global falling prices of oil - a major component of rubber.
You could get the same for around 7500-7800 on snapdeal. Snapdeal also provides on-door tyre changing services. However I chose a dealer inspite of the additional cost because of the support, on-call assistance and some advice
Other tyres i considered? Honestly I was thinking about the MRF itself. Had other options in Pirelli, Hankook and Apollo.
Ultimately chose Yoko.
A common reported problem with the Yoko is uneven wear patterns. I guess with proper rotation and decent driving habits this can be overcome.
josephnishanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 12:43   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Remember, unlike sedans & hatchbacks, SUVs look good with smaller wheels & higher profile rubber. Honestly, large wheels look silly on SUVs.

Hi GTO,

Can you help me with which tyre model is this in Good Year and the rims?

Also any guidance on places that I could get this and pricing?

Any guidance on alternates. Appreciate it!

Cheers,
Salil
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-dacia_duster_tuning_14_by_cipriany.jpg  

Moksh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 10:21   #52
BHPian

Can anyone share their experience with 235/70R16 tyres on stock rims on tbe Duster? Is there any rubbing or touching of the fenders? Is the ride any different?
Old 19th August 2015, 19:52   #53

Renault Duster - Continental CrossContact AT tyre upgrade

Hello All,

This is a brief writeup of my tyre replacement for my Duster. While searching through the forum, I couldn’t find much info on tyre upgrades for the Duster, so hopefully this may be of help to anyone looking to do so.

Having always found the stock MRFs to be a little too small for the wheel wells, specially at the rear, once my stock tyres had crossed 40k, the only option I considered was to upsize to 225/70R16. Although there was a possibility of voiding the warranty – I have almost 1.5 years to go under warranty, decided to risk it. Bhpian Neilroy has upsized to Yokohama Geolandar G92’s on his Duster, and this is the only tyre available in the 225/70R16 size, doesn’t seem to be available from any other manufacturer. This tyre was the OEM tyre on the Suzuki Grand Vitara. Unluckily I could not find any 2015 stock, the newest stock I could get were two tyres from early 2014, the rest 2013 and older. So that idea was scrapped.

There were tyres available in 235/60R16, but I didn’t want to change the patch from 215 to 235.

So I considered sticking to the stock size, and going in for Yokohama Geolandar HT or AT, both of which were available, but I preferred the look of the AT. Some hunting through TBhp brought up some considerations about weak sidewalls on the Yoko ATs.

Finally thanks to some good luck I stumbled upon a thread by BHPian tsk1979 on the Continental CrossContact AT for his Safari, which was available in the stock 215/65R16 size, and looked better (to me,YMMV) than the Geolandar AT. The tread looks extremely aggressive while the open shoulder design visually seems to add a bit of height to the tyre compared to the MRFs.

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-image1.jpg  

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-image2.jpg  

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-image7.jpg  

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-image8.jpg  

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-image3.jpg  

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-image4.jpg  

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-image5.jpg  

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-image6.jpg  

thorne is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 03:15   #54
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster - Continental CrossContact AT tyre upgrade

Err no impressions on the tyre apart from the way the tread pattern looks? I know that these are tough tyres meant for odd terrains but was there any reduction in cabin noise at high speeds? How has the upgrade affected cornering speeds?
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 06:12   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Err no impressions on the tyre apart from the way the tread pattern looks? I know that these are tough tyres meant for odd terrains but was there any reduction in cabin noise at high speeds? How has the upgrade affected cornering speeds?

Yes, sorry for missing that bit. 100% of my driving is in the city or on highways. I haven't noticed too much noise on tarmac. At least I can't hear the typical whup,whup sound associated with offroad tyres. Actually I would say there is less noise than the MRFs. But from some reports these tyres will get noisier after a point, I think after 5000k. Braking on dry tarmac is good. Haven't had a chance to test braking in the wet yet. Cornering seems to be about the same as before.
thorne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 13:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster - Continental CrossContact AT tyre upgrade

Bhpian Ghostrider28 has the same tyres on his Duster 4wd. He's recently done a Kolkata-Leh trip and back. You can take feedback from him on how the tyres perform in long term and different road conditions.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...uster-awd.html
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 17:43   #57

Additional info on the tyres:

Plies on tread: 2 polyester + 2 steel + 2 polyamide

Sidewall: 2 polyester

Max load 750kg

Max inflation 44psi

Tyres made in the Czech Republic
Old 30th August 2015, 12:04   #58

Better pic of the car profile with the Continentals.

Though the tyres are the same size as stock, IMO there is a huge visual difference with these and the tyre seems to fill the rear wheel well a little more.

The Duster on off-road tyres looks amazing compared to HT - received quite a few compliments.

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-imageuploadedbyteambhp1440916302.881520.jpg
thorne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 15:49   #59
BHPian

Hi

Planning to change tyres. should I stock to MRF wanderer or go for contis? confused.

Please share the pros n cons. Pretty satisfied with the MRF though they lasted me 70k
Old 2nd September 2015, 23:11   #60
BHPian

Thinking of getting alloys for my brown duster rxl . Checked with a dealer in Banaswadi got a quote of 30k , 34k,38k for a set of 4 neo hrs and momo respectively . Is the price alright . Thinking of going for grey ones .

Is there any place in Bangalore where I can get a better deal .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks