Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2016, 23:03   #91

Re: My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

Hey Guys!
Im looking to import a set of alloys from tirerack.com. I have spoken to them and they are up for shipping it to me. Im worried about things at our end. Will the customs guys rip me off? Any experience on this regards? Im in Cochin btw. So it ll be shipped to Cochin International Airport. Cheers!
Old 8th March 2016, 10:04   #92
BHPian

Re: My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

I'm posting this here (Mods please move if its irrelevant); Currently I've RFTs with below size:
245/45 R18 F
275/40 R18 R

What should be the tire pressure? I'm currently maintaining 32 psi.

I'm also on lookout for tire upgrade (No more RFTs). Will check the website!
Old 8th March 2016, 10:30   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
I'm posting this here (Mods please move if its irrelevant); Currently I've RFTs with below size:
245/45 R18 F
275/40 R18 R

What should be the tire pressure? I'm currently maintaining 32 psi.

I'm also on lookout for tire upgrade (No more RFTs). Will check the website!
You can run 30 psi, and fill in 32 psi for highways. Increase it by 2psi for full load.

Check out what is available here too, sometimes you get really good deals on imported tyres here.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 18:27   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
As I understand it there are major problems at the moment with customs and importing even single sets of tyres for personal use.

Anyone imported a set of tyres for their personal use without a problem in the last 30 days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I am in the need for a tyre change on my BMW & will be on the lookout in a couple of weeks time. If i don't get my choice here in India then i will import tyres again. Will keep you guys updated.

Whats the current status on tyre imports? I need to get a set for my RS5 and that odd size is too hard to locally source. Tirerack seems to be my only and best option but am skeptical.
Karan, would you be kind enough to be the guinea pig again ?
Old 8th March 2016, 20:10   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Karan, would you be kind enough to be the guinea pig again ?

Currently i am getting a few options like Pirelli P Zeros & Continental Sport Contact 5 available in the size in need here in India.

Will decide in around 2 weeks as its not urgent.
Old 8th March 2016, 21:27   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

Currently i am getting a few options like Pirelli P Zeros & Continental Sport Contact 5 available in the size in need here in India.

Will decide in around 2 weeks as its not urgent.
Mind checking for 265/35r19? Mine is not urgent either but would like to get it done by the month end.

I believe four seasons in Tardeo imports tyres from tire rack by charging customers 5k fee. Are tire dealers allowed to import and individuals cannot?
Old 8th March 2016, 21:37   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Mind checking for 265/35r19? Mine is not urgent either but would like to get it done by the month end.
Sure, il check with my guy & PM you tomorrow.

Quote:
Are tire dealers allowed to import and individuals cannot?
In fact it is the other way round, the tire dealers importing on regular basis will come under the customs eye. For individuals like us it is not much of a problem as we are importing for personal use & not for reselling

Last edited by karan561 : 8th March 2016 at 21:38.
Old 17th March 2016, 20:37   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

New tyres for BMW are on order

Going in for 245/40 R18 squared setup, will let you know more details tomorrow
Old 18th March 2016, 21:06   #99
BHPian

Phew! just read the entire thread and it is full of hope and disappointment. I need 4 AT tires in 255/55R18 size, not even a single tire in India available in either AT or cross tread. Only option seems tirerack.com I am based out of Noida. Any advice or pointer? Thanks
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 13:08   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Phew! just read the entire thread and it is full of hope and disappointment. I need 4 AT tires in 255/55R18 size, not even a single tire in India available in either AT or cross tread. Only option seems tirerack.com I am based out of Noida. Any advice or pointer? Thanks
NCR has a big market for such odd sizes especially in the grey market imports. Try contacting car modification/tuning houses as im sure they will be having it in stock or will source it for you.

If nothing works import it from TireRack.com as i did
Old 21st March 2016, 18:26   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Hi Rishi - Just sent you a PM. Maybe I could help you on this
Old 25th March 2016, 19:06   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

Yokohama V105;

Tyres arrived earlier this week

My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA-imageuploadedbyteambhp1458912819.927644.jpg
My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA-imageuploadedbyteambhp1458912847.420910.jpg

Size: 245/40 R18
Made In Japan
Date of Manufacturing: 5015 (December 2015)
Price: Rs 21,000/Tyre (With Bill)
Sourced them from Tire Right, Bhandup (west)
Old 10th June 2016, 15:10   #103
BHPian

Guys, latest on importing through TireRack.com. Please avoid TireRack at all cost.

I ordered 4 Tires through them on 27-May. They finally shipped it on 1-June. As usual they insisted on FedEx at very high cost ($915). They shipped through FedEx.

FedEx should have cleared it through courier mode instead they changed to Cargo mode at Delhi just to facilitate money making for customs (and obviously make money in the process as well).

Current status, FedEx is harassing us and not filing shipment for clearance with Customs. First they insisted on hiring their "authorised and recommended" agent for clearance. And now asking for all sort of document which are meant for importers like IE Code, GATT document, AD code etc.

Contacted TireRack, they washed their hands off and refused to provide even technical document on their letter head. They remain unresponsive.

Trying to find a senior custom contact a lodge a formal complaint.

Will appreciate any help by fellow BHPians in this matter.
Old 10th June 2016, 23:56   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
FedEx should have cleared it through courier mode instead they changed to Cargo mode at Delhi just to facilitate money making for customs
Beyond a particular value & weight goods must be cleared in Cargo mode as per present Custom rules.

Quote:
FedEx is harassing us and not filing shipment for clearance with Customs. First they insisted on hiring their "authorised and recommended" agent for clearance. And now asking for all sort of document which are meant for importers like IE Code, GATT document, AD code etc.
Regular clearing agents of FedEx/ DHL sucks- if you have someone known who handles your official clearing use him. Ask FedEx to give you DO and then you can get these cleared on your own. They will charge about Rs 2000 for this.

In case you want to use FedEx clearing guys , there is a standard letter which needs to be given to customs to clear goods under common IEC , I should have that somewhere and will send you. This will solve your purpose. Try to clear this ASAP as there are heavy demurrage charges.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 10:27   #105
BHPian

Thanks Turbanator. The Tyres were sent with 4 AWB to avoid weight/value situation.

What is common IEC? Can you guide and share document with me? Thanks in advance. Please connect on direct message.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks