Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2017, 21:55   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Please do keep us posted. I might look to order some tyres if yours experience turns out good.
How did you go about placing the order for the international shipping? Also, how many days does the shipping take?
Sure. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have never imported anything fearing our great customs department. Based on my research there are two reliable sellers to buy tires from:

tire rack: doesn't support international shipping online but writing to sales@tirerack.com will get you started. Very responsive and helpful. uses FedEx as per @karan51

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net : Can directly order online or write to sales@alloywheelsdirect.com Slow response but helpful. Website not intuitive as you can't directly search for tires but need to find a car model that uses the tires you need. Uses UPS EXPEDITED.

Here is an example:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post1985605 (My Mercedes SL500)

I bought from alloywheelsdirect as I wanted to OEM wheels+tires. They also turned out to be cheaper to buy and ship. Tirerack shipping quote was outrageous as they want to make it two shipments due to different warehouses for tires and wheels.

I expect the shipping to be super quick. It is our great Indian customs department that can spoil the party. Only today I found that I am likely to pay 40% GST based duty instead of 28%. Hope it doesn't get worse.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 22:40   #137
Team-BHP Support

Re: My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

Quote:
I think the total duty rate would be 10% BCD plus 28% IGST on value+BCD so a total of 40.8% instead of 28.85%.
Looks correct, as slab for personal imports beyond Rs 2000 is 41 % - of which 10 per cent is basic customs duty, 3 per cent education cess and 28 per cent IGST. This is probably from 1st July. In past, DHL/ FedEx used to ask for IEC code & ISI certification on tyres as well depending on the customs office. There have been cases where they simply cleared the tyres and collected customs whereas on few occasions in particularly in Delhi they will not clear without these documents. I recollect having gone through some posts of a fellow member who had issues at Delhi.
Old 27th August 2017, 14:32   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Sure. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have never imported anything fearing our great customs department. Based on my research there are two reliable sellers to buy tires from:

tire rack: doesn't support international shipping online but writing to sales@tirerack.com will get you started. Very responsive and helpful. uses FedEx as per @karan51

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net : Can directly order online or write to sales@alloywheelsdirect.com Slow response but helpful. Website not intuitive as you can't directly search for tires but need to find a car model that uses the tires you need. Uses UPS EXPEDITED.

Here is an example:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post1985605 (My Mercedes SL500)

I bought from alloywheelsdirect as I wanted to OEM wheels+tires. They also turned out to be cheaper to buy and ship. Tirerack shipping quote was outrageous as they want to make it two shipments due to different warehouses for tires and wheels.

I expect the shipping to be super quick. It is our great Indian customs department that can spoil the party. Only today I found that I am likely to pay 40% GST based duty instead of 28%. Hope it doesn't get worse.
Hi,
Any update on your experience. I'm trying to figure out importing a set of 4 tyres for my Audi S4. What were the additional costs incurred apart from basic tyre costs ?
Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 15:20   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Only today I found that I am likely to pay 40% GST based duty instead of 28%. Hope it doesn't get worse.
Can you update on your Import?
Old 3rd September 2017, 15:50   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

There was a delay from the seller to ship my stuff. It landed yesterday (air cargo BLR), will start the customs clearance tomorrow and share the details.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 16:46   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Alloys: 4x390 EURO = 1.2L
Wheels Michelin Super Sport (255/40 R19) = 4x160 EURO = 50K
Shipping UPS expedited = 336 EURO = 26K

DUTY : INR 89026/- (26K tires, 63K wheels)
CUSTOMS CL : INR 8500/- (my agent charges)
TRANSPORT : INR 1750/-
AAI : INR 6000/- (8 days starage fees from landing to clearing)
GST on AII : INR 1845/-
TOTAL : INR 107121/-

Date of landing 1-Sep, date of clearance 8-Sep.

Documents submitted:
1. UPS provided documents (invoice, AWB number, etc.)
2. Personal PAN, etc.
3. Proof of payment: credit card transaction email copy

4. BIS certificate related
4.1 Tyre sizes exempted from BIS certificate that includes 255/40 R19:
http://dipp.nic.in/sites/default/fil...April32017.pdf
4.2 BIS certificate number of Michelin Plant (USA)
Found from BIS website (after Google hacking):
http://164.100.105.199:8080/cmms/int...aspx?Report=23

Michelin North America Inc.,
1 Parkway South, Greenville, , State SC, US
State : United States
Pin : 29615

BIS details:
IS 15633 : 2005
CML:4038247
Exp: 30/06/2018

BILL OF ENTRY (Note the Compulsary Compliance Requirements section):
====================
Original (Customs copy)
Indian Customs EDI System - Imports V1.5R001
ACC BANGALORE BENGALURU INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
BILL OF ENTRY FOR HOME CONSUMPTION

[Custom Stn: *****]________CHA : **** [**** ]
BE No/Dt./cc/Typ:******
Importer Details :**** PAN : Not Available AD Code : *****
Payment Method : Transaction

IGM No :****** 01/09/2017 Port Of Loading :FRANKFURT/MAIN INT'L
Cntry Of Orgn.: GERMANY Cntry Of Consgn.:
MAWB No : ***** HAWB No : ******
Date : 29/08/2017 Date : 29/08/2017
No. Of Pkgs. : 4 PKG Gross Wt. : 100.000 KGS
Marks:****
& Nos *****

Inv No & Dt. : *** 29/08/2017 ALLOY WHEEL DIRECT LTD
Inv Val : 2201.00 EUR TOI: CIF IN GERICHHAUSEN 5
Freight : 0.00 41844 WEGBERG
Insurance : 0.00 GERMANY
SVB Load(Ass): 10.00% Cust. House: GERMANY -
SVB Load(Dty): HSS Load Rate: 0.00% Amount: 0.00
Misc. Charges: 0.00 335.76 EUR
Discount Rate: 0.00 Discount Amount: 0.00
EDD : 0.00 XBE Duty FG Int.: 0.00
Third Party:

- BuyerSeller Reltd : No
Item Details
Exchange rate: 1.00 EUR = 76.7000 INR
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
Slno RITC Description RSP Load PROV
Qty Unit Price CTH C.Notn C.NSNO Cus Dty Rt BCD amt(Rs)
Unit Ass Val CETH E.Notn E.NSNO Exc Dty Rt CVD amt(Rs)
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
1 40111010 DUMMY IEC - TYR409956 -2554019 100Y MICHELIN PILOT
SUPER SPORT (TYRE)
4 159.490000 40111010 10.00 % 6265.60
NOS 62655.94 NOEXCISE 0.00 % 0.00
Educational Cess on CVDs : 0.00 % 0.00
Sec & Higher Edu. Cess on CVD : 0.00 % 0.00
Customs Educational Cess : 2.00 % 125.30
Customs Sec & Higher Edu. Cess : 1.00 % 62.70
IGST 001/2017 IV46 28.00 % 19350.70
GST Cess 001/2017 56 0.00 % 0.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Declaration
1. I/We Certify that the above entries are correct.
2. I/We further declare that wherever the RSP is applicable same has been
truthfully declared
CHA Importer
Signature Signature
...continued on page:2
--------------------------------------------------------------------[ NIC ]-----
1/ 2
Item Details
slno RITC Description RSP Load PROV
Qty Unit Price CTH C.Notn C.NSNO Cus Dty Rt BCD amt(Rs.)
Unit Ass Val CETH E.Notn E.NSNO Exc Dty Rt CVD amt(Rs.)
2 87087000 DUMMY IEC - MERCEDES BENZ ALLOY WHEEL S: 19 X 8.5
MULTI SPOKE
4 390.760000 87087000 10.00 % 15351.10
NOS 153510.77 NOEXCISE 0.00 % 0.00
Educational Cess on CVDs : 0.00 % 0.00
Sec & Higher Edu. Cess on CVD : 0.00 % 0.00
Customs Educational Cess : 2.00 % 307.00
Customs Sec & Higher Edu. Cess : 1.00 % 153.50
IGST 001/2017 IV170 28.00 % 47410.30
GST Cess 001/2017 56 0.00 % 0.00
Rs. 216166.71 Page Total Rs. 89026.20
Rs. 216166.71 BE Gross Total Rs. 89026.20
BCD Rs. 21616.70 NCD Duty Rs. 0.00
ANTID Rs. 0.00 SAFEGUARD Duty Rs. 0.00
CVD Rs. 0.00 Sch 2 Spl Excise Duty Rs. 0.00
CESS Rs. 0.00 GSIA Rs. 0.00
TTA Rs. 0.00
Edu. Cess CVD Rs. 0.00 Customs Edu. Cess Rs. 432.30
Health CVD Rs. 0.00 Addl Duty - (Imports) Rs. 0.00
SHE. Cess CVD Rs. 0.00 SH Cust Edu. Cess Rs. 216.20
Duty Payable: Rs. 89026
Rs. Eighty Nine Thousand and Twenty Six only

GSTIN Details
=============
Document No Typ State Cd/Name IGST Ass.val IGST Amt GST Cess Amt
----------- --- --------------- ------------ --------- -----------
************* A 29 KARNATAKA 238432 66761 0

Declaration
1. I/We Certify that the above entries are correct.
2. I/We further declare that wherever the RSP is applicable same has been
truthfully declared
CHA Importer

Signature Signature
--------------------------------------------------------------------[ NIC ]-----
2/ 2

Indian Customs EDI System - Imports V1.5R001
ACC BANGALORE BENGALURU INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Examination Order Dated:08/09/2017

__________________________________________________ _________________________

BE No *****,BE dt 04/09/2017, CC N, Type H

Importer :******

IEC [ ***** ]
CHA [ ***** ]

Appraising Group : 5B

Officer :******

Examination order :

OPEN AND EXAMINE 1 PACKAGE/S. VERIFY MARKS AND NUMBERS. VERIFY THE DESCRIPT
ION AND THE QUANTITY OF THE GOODS WRT IMPORT DOCUMENTS. VERIFY THE GOODS WRT
THE CTH, IGST LEVY SL.NO. AND THE NOTIFICATION AVAILED. INCORPORATE THE VAL
UATION REPORT.
By 10017302 on 05/09/2017 at 06:38P.M.

IEC CCR Examination Instructions :

Compulsary Compliance Requirements : 1

Mandatory Compliance Requirements Examination Instructions (CTH) - 40111010
"* ENSURE BIS IS15627,15633,15636,13098 FOR TYRES & TUBES * "". VERIFY THAT
THE RATE OF IGST/GST COMPENSATION CESS HAS BEEN CORRECTLY LEVIED AND EXEMPTI
ON IF ANY, CORRECTLY CLAIMED."
Mandatory Compliance Requirements Examination Instructions (CTH) - 87087000
" * FLAT BASE STEEL WHEELS OF NOMINAL DIAMETER OF 16 TO 20 INCHES ORIGINATIN
G/EXPORTED FROM CHINA ATTRACT ADD *CAST ALUMINIUM ALLOY WHEELS OR ALLOY ROAD
WHEELS USED IN MOTOR VEHICLES WHETHER OR NOT ATTACHED WITH THEIR ACCESSORIE
S, OF A SIZE IN DIAMETER RANGING FROM 12 TO 24 INCHES ORIGINATING/ EXPORTED
FROMA FROM PR CHINA, KOREA RP & THAILAND ATTRACT ADD.* *NTF 124/2007 -CUS DT
. 31-12-2007 AS AMENDED VIDE NTF 3/13-CUS. ADD DT. 26.03.13 (VALID UPTO 25.3
.18 *NOTF NO 15/2014-CUS(ADD) DT 11.4.14 AS AMENDED VIDE NOTF NO. 21/2015-C
US(ADD) DT. 22-5-15 (VALID UPTO 11.04.19)"". VERIFY THAT THE RATE OF IGST/GS
T COMPENSATION CESS HAS BEEN CORRECTLY LEVIED AND EXEMPTION IF ANY, CORRECTL
Y CLAIMED."

AC Remarks Name:*****

Inspector Report Name:*****

Opened and examined 1 pkgs in the presence of CHA

Special Observation :

LOC: AISATS IMP.
O/E: 1PKG
F/C: TYRE & ALLOY WHEEL
DESCRIPTION TALLIED AS PER IMP. DOC.

By **** dated 06/09/2017 at 03:19P.M.

Superintendent comments Name:******

VALUE MAY BE ENHANCED BY 10%. IMPORTER CONSENTED THROUGH MAIL/CHA
By 10015908 dated 07/09/2017 at 02:01P.M.
By 10015908 dated 07/09/2017 at 02:01P.M.

[CHA] [EO/Inspector] [Shed AO/Supdt]

=========== END of Bill of Entry ========

Some learnings from this experience:

1. BIS certificate issue will certainly come up and the agent asked me to furnish the same. I am not sure how much of it is being managed by the agent and how much of it is helped by the documents I submitted but I had no problem with BIS. When I asked the agent, his words were: "Yes your document was helpful but we have a good working relationship so they don't create much trouble".

2. UPS contacted me with a scary mail with the paperwork related to customs clearing. I told them it is a personal import and all I have is just a PAN number. Then they put me in touch with their partner clearing agent who wasn't that helpful, he kept asking me for things like AD code, etc. Then I spoke to someone I know and engaged a different clearing agent who assured me that this would be a piece of cake.

3. My invoice had 3 items with zero value. Pressure gauge free gift and free service of wheel balancing and nitrogen air filling. The UPS agent I spoke to first told me I can't have 0 value items in the invoice. I didnt have an issue but remember not to include any 0 value items just to keep things simple.

4. Getting things through Cargo mode is expensive. If you don't do paper work on time, they will charge you some hefty penalty for each day of delay. They charge you for storage during the time the your packages stays in their premises. Agency charges and transportation charges are extra. I am not sure how it is decided that a shipment will come in Cargo mode.

5. I am not sure but someone told me if the amount is less than 1L, things move faster with fewer inspections, etc.

6. It is better to have all the documents ready and submit everything on day 1. The agent asked me for documents as and when the officer asked. But I feel it may have saved time if the agent took all sorts of documents well in advance and submitted them on day 1.

7. You can find the factory plant for your tires by looking at the first 2 letters of DOT code. Most Michelin plants have BIS certificate (see my link above) but these certificates are specific to a tire size. I am not sure Customs guys get into that level of detail.

8. As you can see from the Compliance notes in the BoE, products from China, Thailand, Korea, etc. seem to attract more scrutinyt, extra duty, etc. Since my import is from Germany and of reputed brand (Mercedes and Michelin), things may have been smoother.

9. I only read Karan's initial post and ordered my stuff. I had the impression that UPS would door deliver in 4 days time If I had read this whole thread I probably would not have bothered.

Turned out to be a very long post, but I hope it is useful to some of you.
androdev is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 20:15   #142
Team-BHP Support

A very useful post-Androdev, even though we use Air courier multiple times to get our business related stuff, I have never got the courage to get Tyres by Import due to past issues on iPhone etc at customs.

Quote:
Tyre sizes exempted from BIS certificate that includes
This is a great information and will be helpful in future for everyone.

Quote:
engaged a different clearing agent
You did absolutely right if you had struck with UPS these might have still been at customs attracting very heavy demurrage charges daily.

Quote:
Was this to cover Zero value items on Invoice or they related some other past imports with your Invoice? It pains to see how government/ officers still perceive public dishonest, I mean why and how can someone pay these online shops in developed countries underhand and get a false undervalue Invoice? It's simply impossible to get a wrong undervalued invoice from developed countries especially when ordering at large or online stores. Someone should definitely take these guys to task by asking on what basis they are adding extra charges. It happens occasionally on our business products and most of the time we have to agree despite showing Bank SWIFT receipts and Addresses.

If Shipper is ok with delivery via our own carrier, then there are better options, like letting regular CHA use their FedEx or UPS accounts or in case of heavy shipments like this, use regular Air-Freight. In this case, they will able to save time as they won't have to wait for DO (Delivery Order) from UPS/ DHL which can take 2-3 days.

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th September 2017 at 20:20.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 07:59   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
A very useful post-Androdev, even though we use Air courier multiple times to get our business related stuff, I have never got the courage to get Tyres by Import due to past issues on iPhone etc at customs.
I had no prior experience with customs, it was a case of "fools dare where angels fear to tread". I assumed it would be similar to Karan's experience (1st post in this thread) where UPS would deliver it at home and collect ~28% from me. I even used a wrong currency convertor I think I paid 44% in duties (due to 10% value enhancement) and Rs 20K in handling and storage charges. I escaped demurrage charges even though my stuff landed on Thu night and I filed papers on Monday, cleared on Friday.

Quote:
This is a great information and will be helpful in future for everyone.
I think BIS is not a deal breaker if tires are from a BIS certified plant (available on BIS website) or mentioned in the BIS exclusion list. I am sure my tires went through proper inspection and no money was paid to overlook any aspect.

Quote:
You did absolutely right if you had struck with UPS these might have still been at customs attracting very heavy demurrage charges daily.
I lost whole of Friday trying to work with UPS guys. Such a waste of time.

Quote:
Was this to cover Zero value items on Invoice or they related some other past imports with your Invoice? It pains to see how government/ officers still perceive public dishonest.
It's a case of "Crime master GoGo naam hai mera. Aayan hoon, kuch to le ke jaoonga!" I had no clue about this, my agent only must have consented. Maybe the officer thought I bought them on a discounted deal, not sure.

Quote:
If Shipper is ok with delivery via our own carrier, then there are better options, like letting regular CHA use their FedEx or UPS accounts or in case of heavy shipments like this, use regular Air-Freight. In this case, they will able to save time as they won't have to wait for DO (Delivery Order) from UPS/ DHL which can take 2-3 days.
Absolutely agree with you. If you can have your CHA control the full shipping and arrange the landing on a Monday, file all the paperwork as early as possible, etc. then it can help you save time and money.
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 09:43   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Question for the serial tyre importers:

Can I carry in a couple of tyres in checked-in baggage from Thailand?
These will not be BIS-certified.
From import/export websites, I can see the prevalent duty is ~30%.

Any ideas?
Old 19th June 2018, 09:34   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Question for the serial tyre importers:

Can I carry in a couple of tyres in checked-in baggage from Thailand?
These will not be BIS-certified.
From import/export websites, I can see the prevalent duty is ~30%.

Any ideas?

IMO you should be able to do it, but you may need to pass through the red channel at Indian customs. Personally, i carried 4 tyres a few years ago (2013 if my memory server me right) but were not loaded on the same flight and were delivered two days later. I had to personally go to the Hyderabad customs depot at RGI airport along with proof of purchase (for value) and paid abt 10k (incl. chai pani for the 'Officials').
I recommend you use a clearing agent for the running around; will cost you pretty much the same and will definitely be a lot less running around.

Cheers!!
Couper72 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 11:54   #146
BHPian

Maybe you can also check with a local clearing agent or any large courier company.

Last edited by Couper72 : 18th July 2018 at 11:56. Reason: already responded to this post previously.
Old 7th January 2019, 09:28   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

He too said not to import tires as there is a ban on importing tires(but somehow he can get it through the customs)

I dont have any thing against the premium what these guys had offered or the kind of profits they make, thats none of my business.

But the fact that they "scare" you not to import tires " as they may get stuck in the customs " or say " ban on import of tires " etc is not justified.

As far as i know there is no ban on tires in odd sizes thats for sure & i also think there is no ban on tires otherwise too. Only ban is on "used" tires or import of tires in " wholesale "

Hey Karan,

Have you had any recent experience in importing tires for for any of your beauties. The ones on mine are nearing replacement and am looking to import again via tirerack.com.

p.s: considering a staggered setup, what would you recommend the PPS or PS4.

Thanks a ton!!

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th January 2019 at 10:15. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 7th January 2019, 12:20   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couper72 View Post
Hey Karan,

Have you had any recent experience in importing tires for for any of your beauties. The ones on mine are nearing replacement and am looking to import again via tirerack.com.

p.s: considering a staggered setup, what would you recommend the PPS or PS4.

Thanks a ton!!
Yes, check out this thread;

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4471407 (Review: BF Goodrich T/A KO2 tyre upgrade for my Toyota Fortuner)
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 17:30   #149
Team-BHP Support

The rear tires on my BMW 330i GT have reached their end of life and need replacement.

They are ContiSportContact 5 SSR, 255/45/R18 (my car comes in staggered setup with 225/50/R18 in the front which are readily available in India). The BMW dealer has quoted 70K for two tires including fitting. Of this the tires cost 55K for a pair and 15K towards labor charges. As this is quite a high cost to pay for two tires, I tried outside dealers. One dealer placed order with Conti and even after 2 weeks, there is no guaranteed delivery date.

So I have to either import them or go for an alternate size.

Tirerack has these and they cost 450$ a pair. As they do not have a way to order directly for international shipment, I did a live chat and the support guy asked me to email them. I have mailed them two days back and still have not got any reply. Then I sent another request through their "Contact Us" link and still not received any response.

This lack of response is quite surprising as I see feedback that they are very fast in responding to queries. Am I using the wrong channel to send these questions? Is there any other way to get a faster response?
Old 4th May 2019, 19:23   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The rear tires on my BMW 330i GT have reached their end of life and need replacement.

They are ContiSportContact 5 SSR, 255/45/R18 (my car comes in staggered setup with 225/50/R18 in the front which are readily available in India). The BMW dealer has quoted 70K for two tires including fitting. Of this the tires cost 55K for a pair and 15K towards labor charges. As this is quite a high cost to pay for two tires, I tried outside dealers. One dealer placed order with Conti and even after 2 weeks, there is no guaranteed delivery date.

So I have to either import them or go for an alternate size.
Did you check out the 255/40/r18 Pirelli P Zero Rosso? Our neighbour runs that setup in his older 3 series and finds it pretty good for 18”ers, comfort wise and also grip wise.

Last edited by Eddy : 4th May 2019 at 19:27. Reason: Fixed quotes

Most Viewed