Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 16:02   #1
BHPian

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Evaluating tyre upgrade options for Ford Ecosport TDCi Titanium(O). The stock tires are 205/60 R 16. I am looking to upgrade to 215/55 R16. Primarily evaluating Michelin, Yokohoma and Bridgestone. The following models are listed as available in the company website for size 215/55 R 16.

Michelin - Primacy LC

Yokohoma - DNA db ES501

Bridgestone - Turanza GR 90

I have used Michelin XM 1, XM 1+ and XM2 and have found them extremely good for my kind of use. Unfortunately 215/55 R16 is not available in XM2. Michelin Primacy LC reviews highlight its soft sidewall. Yokohoma ES 501 reviews mention its not so good wet grip. Have read some good reviews of Turanza GR 90.

Requesting Tyre gurus to provide inputs and help in identifying the best Tyre for comfort and grip.

I haven't checked with any of the dealers for actual availability of the above mentioned tires. Data picked up from manufacturer website.
dish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 16:31   #2
BHPian

re: Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I am no tyre guru. I am buying the ecosport too as it launches. I did consider changing the tyres. I am worried about the tailgate mounted tyre.

Upsizing the tyre means more weight. Will the tailgate be able to handle this weight? Will it cause squeaking andrattling after a few days of use?

Changing the tyre brand and keeping the same size could also mean increase/decrease depending on the thread. So I am not sure whether to change the tyres at all.
Old 14th June 2013, 16:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

What! A thread already for EcoSport tyre upgrade!?

Wish you the best with your EcoSport booking mate!

Michelin Primary LC are good, but I have heard lot of negative feedback about MPLC's water wading capabilities. They offer excellent ride comfort and grip though. I would personally look for something that is better in the wet when I get such wider rubber for my cars!

Why not H/T tyres for the EcoSport, that will make it look more wicked
Old 14th June 2013, 16:42   #4
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

225/55/R16 - too should work and will give both better drive and ride as well as look better. ES501 from Yokohama priced at about 10K a piece should be good. They are very silent.

Also 215/55/R16 S-Drives from Yokohama again will give a much more sporty drive but will last only 30k kms at most. Also the ride will be harder. They look better than most 225 width tyre but you will need to check the availability currently in the size required. You can try Michelins if FE is an important factor some of tier options can improve FE by upto 10%.

The rear door taking the wt will not be a problem but with a wider tyre you will need to check if it touches the door on the tyre inner side. Also the spare wheel cover that will reported to be available from day 1 will probably not fit- Are you ok with that.

Lastly the tyre upgrade will void atleast the suspension warranty. Get the Dealer on you side if doing it.

Last edited by ACM : 14th June 2013 at 16:47.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 16:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

Would advise against going wider than 205s, the engine does not have enough power to warrant wider tyres. All you will do is provide more rolling resistance and slow the car down. Get better tyres in the stock size.
Akshay1234 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 17:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Would advise against going wider than 205s, the engine does not have enough power to warrant wider tyres. All you will do is provide more rolling resistance and slow the car down. Get better tyres in the stock size.
Width may be just one factor affecting rolling resistance, the other important factor being the tire compound. Isn't it possible that premium tires could offer lesser rolling resistance even with an upsize when compared to OEM tires like MRF ?
Old 14th June 2013, 18:09   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with ACM. If you must upgrade its got to be 225/55 def not 215/55. The stance will not be right nor will you find much improvement in ride or handling on 215/55
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 23:15   #8
BHPian

@dish : Yokohoma - DNA db ES501 - While different people seem to have very contrasting opinions on the same product, this tyre seems to get more share of lower scores. Can't seem to locate the thread/page now, but I apparently remember this tyre as one I wouldn't want to buy.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 10:55   #9
BHPian

Thanks ACM & Sahil. 225/55 is a better fit than 215/55. The challenge is to find good tires with comfort, grip and good side wall protection. There don't seem to be too many available in the marketplace.

Have read some good reviews of Continental CPC2 - any inputs on how good they are and how they compare against Michelin XM2 ?
Old 15th June 2013, 19:52   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

+1 to Akshay.

The EcoSport has good dynamics in stock form and the suspension is rather European in nature. What matters isn't the thickness of the tyre, rather the quality of the tyre.

In my opinion, you should get sticky 205s. 225 will unnecessarily slow the car down, especially if you get the diesel which isn't powerful to begin with.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 20:08   #11
BHPian

Thanks GTO. Any suggestions / recommendations for Model and Make for Diesel ecosport ?
Old 17th June 2013, 19:48   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post
Evaluating tyre upgrade options for Ford Ecosport TDCi Titanium(O). The stock tires are 205/60 R 16. I am looking to upgrade to 215/55 R16. Primarily evaluating Michelin, Yokohoma and Bridgestone. The following models are listed as available in the company website for size 215/55 R 16.

Michelin - Primacy LC

Yokohoma - DNA db ES501

Bridgestone - Turanza GR 90
^ Arent these tyres suited and heard of when we talk about tires for sedans & hatchbacks ?

And Ford markets the Ecosport as an SUV ?
Old 18th June 2013, 12:56   #13
BHPian

Nice to see this thread :-)

I was considering either the Yoko -ES501 Tubeless or the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Tubeless of the recommended sizes only ( Thanks GTO )
Old 18th June 2013, 13:44   #14
BHPian

Ha Ha. We must be the most nuttiest or the most passionate set of people to discuss tyre upgrades of a vehicle which refuses to get launched.

Me thinks that tyre upgrade will impact the warranty on suspension and therefore maybe should be refrained at least for the first couple of years. Having had a Fusion, i contemplated on a tyre upgrade, got an upgrade done with some spare tyres from the dealer and tried using it for a week. There was not much difference in the road handling of the vehicle and of course the fuel economy did not get impacted in either way.

Try Bridgestone on Michellein of the same size rather than looking for an upsize for the tyre
Old 24th June 2013, 14:11   #15
BHPian

WOW! Trust Team BHP to give answers to all your questions. I have booked the Ecosport too but i am confused between the 1.5 Trend Vs 1.5 Titanium AT. Based on the OTR, i will decide tomm but if i choose the 1.5 Trend, I only get the 195/65 R15 as the stock tyres and I was wondering if i could upgrade to a bigger and better one.

Can i then at least get the 205 / 60 R16 since it is anyway offered in the higher versions (that should not void the warranty right)? I too however badly want to get the 225/55/R16 too so that i can give it a butch look.

Most Viewed