Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2015, 16:28   #136
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Proof of the Pudding is as they say in the eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
OK I got Goodyears - Ecosport AT - 205/60/R16 from the factory. 30,000 kms.

I have added the Rogers Suspension / Shocks kit to soften the ride. It cost Rs. 8500 and was worth it. The car does not hit the potholes with that hard a recoil and is in general a lot lot more comfortable.

Am looking for/ can live with:

1) Better Looks - Wider, Sportier Yes got it

2) A feeling of greater stability while cornering - Reducing the slightly twitchy feel of the steering. Looking for more of an on Rails feel. Read "Wider shoes".Yes got it

3) I tend to rev the engine a fair bit and like the roar and the urgent acceleration of the 1.5 ltr engine. It is fun, though the efficiency when driven hence drops to just 9 kmpl instead of the very possible 10.5-11 kmpl. It's all about the mood and also the traffic. Rarely use the sport mode though. Do use the kick down mode a fair bit. So don't want too much of a drop in power due to too big a tyre.Yes got it - no noticeable drop in power

4) Want to keep the Km / ODO counter more or less 100% accurate for fun drives like the blind man car rally etc, else with a tyre upsize that significantly increases ODO error such fun rallies loose a bit of the fun element due to the hassle of additional back of the hand calculations. Yes 100% accuracy retained with the upgrade

5) I can live with the slush and mud thrown up on the side body of the vehicle due to a wider tyre. That is not too much of an issue though is some kind of plastic add-ons could make the fenders / wheel arch wider it would be great.Not really facing this problem quite oddly - But yes will keep an eye open for such an option

6) Lesser Punchers / No blowouts. My current Left side has 10 punchers while the right has none. The rear left infact has 8 holes (4 were sadly a single incident where I possibly drove the car a bit too long before realizing that I had a nail in the Tyre). But still since I tend to drive on the shoulders of the road to wiggle out of traffic at times I do pick up a lot of nails. And a tyre that resists that and has stronger side walls would be appreciated. That said the current Goodyears have had decent tyre walls but are average in all other aspects. So will not repeat them. Hope to have solved this issue. Also believe that XL tyres will have a tougher side wall

7) Even if I change tyre size I will probably keep the totally new spare in the current size itself as I have done this previously and for short drives a spare of a slightly different size does not matter and secondly I have a spare wheel cover and that may not take a larger tyre. Yes did so

8) The Original Alloys are 16" they look very good (best this side of 20L cars) and I see no need to spend a big amount to change them so the R16 specification will remain as is. I could later look at repainting them in the Dark Titanium shade but that is not critical at this point of time.Yep R16

Plan to keep changes below the permissible 2-4% at max. Kept at 0.25% itself

Original: 205/60R16 - Bored will change, am kinda ok with possibility of loss in warranty with change of tire size and hence have as yet not extended car warranty beyond the current 2 year basic. But may still extent to 4 yrs. - Got Goodyear Assurance in original size online for 17K - CPC2, Bridgestones & P3ST cost roughly 40K in the same size - Don't see the value in that. Though they are definitely much better tyres.

1) Option1: 225/55R16: 0.23% greater circumference - as good as no change in Diameter. So ODO will remain accurate. But this will imply a wider more stable tyre? With greater traction and friction hence should expect up to 5%? drop in efficiency. Wider should look better. But this should be as comfortable if not more than the current if I select a similar or better quality brand / model. This is currently my most preferred change and there are tyre models available in this size but I don't think any of them are SUV / AT tyres. RANK I - Yep went for this - more details below

2) Option2: 225/60R16: 3.7% more circumference - borderline or slightly beyond the limit size, may foul with the fenders. Significant ODO error. But should be more comfortable in terms of handling potholes for which I am NOT prepared to try R15 nor 65 profile in 205 or 195 width. RANK II - -ves were too many

3) Option3: +1.9% greater circumference - Within limits of size change and greater dia makes this attractive but this may not make it too much wider in looks or stability and the ODO error of about 2% will be present. Is it worth considering this. RANK III - Just a Half measure

4) Option4: 215/60R16: 215/55R16: -1.5% lesser circumference - Within limits of size change but lesser dia may mean a harsher ride that I certainly do not want. So then only for a very slightly wider tyre I loose all other aspects that I am looking for so am NOT likely to go for this change . RANK IV - Just a half measure

As seen above my mind and heart seems to suggest that I go for Option 1 Rank I, else through caution to the wind and go for Option Rank II at the cost of ODO / Trip meter error.

Availability of SUV / AT tyres in Option II or III could tend to tip me in favour of that path. - considered 215/65R16 Yoko Geolanders - 5% deviation was too much so did not go for it as was advised that ABS, TC, ESP etc may malfunction

Any thoughts? I do know that conventional wisdom would say that EcoSport is not really that high powered to require a 225 width tyre and better quality tyre is what matters first. I do intend to go for better quality tyres for sure but this is about which size do I search for those tyres in. can confidently disagree with conventional wisdom now - Absolutely no noticed loss is power.

By the way I have used 225/55R16 Yoko ES 501 in my Laura (factory 205/55/R16) L&K AT PD which was 105 bhp vs the 115 of the EcoSport. - this plus the confidence of the tyre seller Premji Tyres at Thane convinced me

I am tending towards Michelin, Yoko, Bridgestone in that order as far as the brands are concerned right now. This changed on the ground as below

I would be buying in July start, suggestions appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
For the power the Ecosport AT has on offer, 205 itself is overkill. anything more will impact performance and efficiency and is pointless.

Just change to better rubber in same OE size like the new Michelin Primacy P3ST or the Continental max contact MC5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lijodavis View Post
I am Upgrading my ecosport D tires to Michilen Pilot Sport 3 size 225/50 R16". How good it will be? Need your advice
- Suggest 225/55 R16 if at all - Don't know about the power aspect keeping in mind that this is 90BHP Diesel engine. But you can always remap it. If prepared to do that then go for 225/55 R16 so that you do not make the ride too hard.

Quote:
The tyres are good but here's my theory. A 1.2 tonne heavy vehicle like the Ecosport with a relatively small 1.5L engine and only 90bhp shod with huge 225 size tyres which you normally see on BMW, Audi with 180BHP.

Doesn't it seem overkill. You are already making a car which is not that quick in the first place even slower.
Maybe true for the Diesel but not really true for the Petrol. Have use the same tyre size with the Laura 1.9PD 105 BHP DSG and it felt really great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
The 225's would be an overkill in my opinion!
- Not on the Petrol, possibly not on a re-mapped Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Inline Responses Sir.
- choose a different path from the one suggested by you so quoting.

Went with Pirelli P7 Cinturato 225/55-R16 99W XL Tyres.
I liked the look of these tyres more than that of the Michelins plus they should be tougher being XL tyres plus they cost about 8K less overall. The Continental CPC2 too looked good but CPC5 are the new ones and they are not available in India and also the CPC2 is V rated while Michelins and Pirellis are both 99W rated.

Selected XL tyres - "Extra Load" so that I may run them at higher tyre pressure and get stiffer side walls for my kind of rough side skirt of the road driving. Got 10 punchers in the previous Goodyear Assurance that I wished to avoid.

Tried out CPC2 & Michelins in the front for a short 1km distance with another dealer friend whom I am not naming.

The Old Goodyears still had at least 40% life remaining but were relatively terrible especially post 25000 kms. Got the princely sum of Rs. 300 for them - 100 a piece.

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-old-goodyear-assurance-still-have-40-life-rs-300.jpg

The Contenders - L - To - R = Pirelli - Bridgestone - Michelin Somehow the Michelins seemed smaller - though that was probably because of how they were kept. I got fresh 2015 tyres that were ordered and arrived the next day,

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-options.jpg

The pricing for the two sizes in consideration. If Pirellis had not been available I would have gone for Michelins, though the Pirellis P7 Cinturanto has been upgraded many times over the years and they have fared quite well against the competition if priced the same my have played safe and gone for the Michelins even though I did not like their look too much. CPC2 was a lower spec in my opinion though I would never do 160+ in the Ecosport

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyres-prices.jpg

XL - Extra Load - Implies tougher sidewalls and also necessitates driving the tyres at higher tyre pressures - started at 30F-30R and the ride was rough, 32F-35R was much better while 33F-36R that I have settled on for now makes the ride simply superb, the vehicle now feels very Dusterish as in it glides over the potholes with out giving a jolt within the car - But that is in combination with Rogers suspension solution that is already deployed on my car. Google XL tyres and look up more on the net if you wish to understand this. Normal tyres cannot be used on a vehicle with XL tyre rating but the reverse as done by me is possible but with marginally higher tyre pressures. Also XL type tyres offset the softness that would be present with larger size tyres making the BMWish ride still possible.

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-22555r16w99xl.jpg

The Tyres do not bulge out much from the Arch while still looking substantial and filling it up much better.

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-doesnt-protude.jpg

Have taken a different path from the one recommended but am loving it. The Braking and cornering both is much more confident, and the ride over rough roads is much better. Very importantly the steering feels much more centred - on rails - Less Twichy - though I had my doubts if this effect would work with EPS tyre of steering.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-perfect-bulge.jpg  

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-22555r16-rear.jpg  

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-22555r16-front-angled1.jpg  

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-22555r16-front-angled2.jpg  

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-22555r16-pirelli.jpg  

Last edited by ACM : 29th June 2015 at 16:50.
ACM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 16:40   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Went with Pirelli Cinturato 225/55-R16 99W XL Tyres.
I liked the look of these tyres more than that of the Michelins plus they cost about 8K less overall. The Continental CPC2 too looked good but CPC5 are the new ones and they are not available in India and also the CPC2 is V rated while Michelins and Pirellis are both 99W rated.
Did you check what is the OE rim width of the Ecosport alloys? From the photos, there appears to be excessive pinching. The tyres seem to be bulging out more. Please confirm what is the max width possible on the OE rim width.
Old 29th June 2015, 16:55   #138
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did you check what is the OE rim width of the Ecosport alloys? From the photos, there appears to be excessive pinching. The tyres seem to be bulging out more. Please confirm what is the max width possible on the OE rim width.
Yep the Ecosport OEM rim is 6J and the 225/55-R16 Pirelli P7s are permitted to be installed on 6-8J

Also the Snaps were taken when the pressure on the tyres was about 29F-29R during installation at the dealer place. I am now on 33F-36R - which is more in the XL tyre recommended pressure range am going to try out 1 point higher as well.

Also in the SECOND VISUAL I HAVE BY MISTAKE MENTIONED MICHELINS SEEM SMALLER INSTEAD OF BRIDGESTONES WHICH WERE THE ONES IN THE CENTRE.

Last edited by ACM : 29th June 2015 at 17:02.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 14:31   #139
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Oops, Sorry Middle Tyre is Continental CPC2 NOT Bridgestone as mentioned in post 136 & 138. Just got the Brand names confused, age catching up. I did check out Bridgestones, Yokos & Goodyears as well, Pirelli, Michelin & Continental made my final checkout list.
Old 11th September 2015, 11:07   #140
BHPian

Quote:
The Goodyear Assurance is not as good as the P3ST but it's significantly cheaper. Secondly I did not want to put premium tyres on a car that was going to see a lot of bad roads.
Makes perfect sense Vid! In fact, I had almost zeroed down on the P3STs for my S-Cross (same stock size as the EcoSport), but given the kind of roads I take, I'd rather go with a VFM option and consider changing at 25-30 kms.

The Goodyear Assurances are on my shortlist along with the Potenza G3s and the Pirelli P4s.

BTW, any idea how the JK Elanzos will fare against the Assurances? Asking this because the buyback for the JKs is 4.25k apiece and the swap will cost me only 1.5k apiece Basically, is it still worth swapping?

Quote:
Have taken a different path from the one recommended but am loving it. The Braking and cornering both is much more confident, and the ride over rough roads is much better. Very importantly the steering feels much more centred - on rails - Less Twichy - though I had my doubts if this effect would work with EPS tyre of steering.
Thanks for the valuable inputs. Do you know how the Pirellis P4s compare to the P3STs when it comes to bad roadability?

I must admit that my tyre hunt is proving to be more laborious than the car itself
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 00:28   #141
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Makes perfect sense Vid! In fact, I had almost zeroed down on the P3STs for my S-Cross (same stock size as the EcoSport), but given the kind of roads I take, I'd rather go with a VFM option and consider changing at 25-30 kms.

The Goodyear Assurances are on my shortlist along with the Potenza G3s and the Pirelli P4s.

BTW, any idea how the JK Elanzos will fare against the Assurances? Asking this because the buyback for the JKs is 4.25k apiece and the swap will cost me only 1.5k apiece Basically, is it still worth swapping?

Thanks for the valuable inputs. Do you know how the Pirellis P4s compare to the P3STs when it comes to bad roadability?

I must admit that my tyre hunt is proving to be more laborious than the car itself
Consider a swap only for P3ST or P7s

P7s take bad roads quite well in terms of lasting. But are a bit bouncy on them.

Assurance are most value for money but don't excel.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 21:49   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Went with Pirelli P7 Cinturato 225/55-R16 99W XL Tyres.
How are the tyres doing after 4 odd months of driving ? Last time someone who did an upsize faced issues and finally went back to stock size. So wondering how they are working for you.
Also curious what's this tyre which can be seen in Ecosport official accessories page:

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1249024357080.jpeg

Seems like a AT tyre. Is there any advantage of using AT tyre in 2WD vehicle? Also are there any options in Indian market which will fit the 16' rims?
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 23:51   #143
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
How are the tyres doing after 4 odd months of driving ? Last time someone who did an upsize faced issues and finally went back to stock size. So wondering how they are working for you.
Also curious what's this tyre which can be seen

Seems like a AT tyre. Is there any advantage of using AT tyre in 2WD vehicle? Also are there any options in Indian market which will fit the 16' rims?
When I checked there were no AT option on 16in rims in the permissible deviation range. There though was a model in 15in.

My P7s are doing very well are at 5k use now.

The problems I believe occured with the 90 bhp diesel version. Mine is 112bhp petro ATl. I think at 100 plus bhp you should be ok with the 225 size upsize. Am enjoying the comfort and dynamics.

Another variable could be driving style and if one only gently taps the acc then the upsize may not be suitable. I have a heavy foot normally.

FE drops 5%.
Old 11th November 2015, 19:56   #144
Senior - BHPian

Here is my rubber... Went with Perilli P7 225/55/16 and a set of Momo's:
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-fourth.jpg  

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_1278.jpg  

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-photo-20151111-11-11-52-1.jpg  

aseem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 12:03   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Here is my rubber... Went with Perilli P7 225/55/16 and a set of Momo's:
Aseem - Would you mind sharing the cost of Alloys and Rubber here .

Thanks,
Ranjith
Old 12th November 2015, 12:11   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
Aseem - Would you mind sharing the cost of Alloys and Rubber here .

Thanks,
Ranjith
The rubber was 10,000 per tyre. Plus I got 4,500 Rs for exchange of the old tyres. So in the end 5,500 Rs per Tyre.

For the alloys I paid 3700 per alloy in exchange of my old alloys. I think it was around 8500 for the new alloy. But I don't remember exactly. I just remember paying 19,000 for 5 alloys after exchanging my old alloys.

Also for all those changing the tyres, please note, don't go half hearted. As going 215/60/16 won't give you the looks that you are spending the money for to begin with. So go for 225 at the very least. For alloys I had only 3 designs to choose from as BK Tyres generally don't have an extensive collection. I had my eyes on these Momo's for a while so picked them up. I am still not sure if this was the right alloy design, but will have to make do with what I have got.

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-photo-20151111-11-12-01-1.jpg

Last edited by aseem : 12th November 2015 at 12:16.
aseem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 10:04   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
Now that the prices are out, I have some wiggle room to spend on accessories. I'm planning for the ecoboost titanium (o). If I end up with the MRFs (not much control me / dealer should have), I think it is best to replace them immediately. I'm not keen on up-sizing, I just want the best possible replacement in the same tire size - 205/60/R16. Any help, please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Try and get them to give you a car shod with Goodyear Assurance tyres. You can avoid losing money on brand new (the stock MRF's) tyres when you go in for an exchange.
My opinion is quite opposite, may be because the way I drive is different from yours. My EcoSport ambiente came with Goodyear assaurance. At first I was praying to get these tyres, and now I wish I had the Mrfs. Reason being the goodyear is not at all suitable for broken roads. It is a amazing tyre on highways and cities, very less sound, very tight grip, amazing ride quality, but if you want to take your car down from the main road, to some broken one then these goodyear soft tyres would give you hell of a time. My tyres are already punctured twice and side wall cracked on my first road trip to Himalayas. I had to replace them while coming back.

Its time for me to change the tyres as well. In Kolkata where I stay the roads are pretty bad in shape, naturally I want a higher profile tyre for my 15" rim. The only tyre which I can see is good for both mild off-roading and onroad is Earth-1. The size available is 205/65 R15. Can anyone suggest any other tyre ? Is there any AT tyres available within this size ? I couldn't find any.
Old 21st December 2015, 12:47   #148
BHPian

No AT tyres in this size. AT tyres start from the size 205/70/R15 onwards ( Yokohama Geolandar G012) but they will be too tall for the Ecosport.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 23:34   #149
BHPian

Yokohama - Series 65 - G012 - 215/65 R16 (98H) Tubeless

Is available on snapdeal. will this size work on my eco tdi ? or would it rub against the mudguards? I mainly want a more comfortable ride and dont care much about the handling.

And since its an A/T tyre would it wear sooner if used on tarmac too often?
Old 9th January 2016, 08:30   #150
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Yokohama - Series 65 - G012 - 215/65 R16 (98H) Tubeless

Is available on snapdeal. will this size work on my eco tdi ? or would it rub against the mudguards? I mainly want a more comfortable ride and dont care much about the handling.

And since its an A/T tyre would it wear sooner if used on tarmac too often?
This is the right size for a Duster, Terrano, Yeti etc.
I think it just may be a little large for an EcoSport - might rub against the wheel arches while turning.
Be careful while making your choice. Even Im very tempted to find a 225/65/16 size tyre but am worried it will rub against the wheel arches in my Yeti. Hence am coming around to the 215/65/16 which itself is a bit larger than the existing stock tyres which are 215/60/16.

Most Viewed