Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2013, 06:09   #91

re: Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi,
I'm not an expert on tyres at all and would like some opinion regarding upgrades. I believe that the European version of the Ecosport had a limited edition variant with 17 inchers. Would it be advisable if i went in for a similar upgrade here too ? Should be getting delivery of my Ecosport 1.5 within a few days
Old 15th November 2013, 13:55   #92
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Nikhil, one of your posts rested in my mind so strong that I've rather chosen to Upgrade to Goodyears from MRF than to Michelin or Yoko! For a vehicle like Ecosport, even I believe Goodyears will do a good job, if not better and price wise, really makes good sense!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvrock2000 View Post
Hi,
I'm not an expert on tyres at all and would like some opinion regarding upgrades. I believe that the European version of the Ecosport had a limited edition variant with 17 inchers. Would it be advisable if i went in for a similar upgrade here too ? Should be getting delivery of my Ecosport 1.5 within a few days
Dhruv, even roads in Delhi aren't as well carpeted as their European and American counterparts and going for Low Profile Tyres will:

1. Affect the Suspension and eventually somewhere Warranty Concerns will be there.

2. A very harsh ride.

3. Be prepared for Bulges on Tyre's Sidewall resulting from hard hitting by the Potholes!

At the end of it, whatever the company designs is to acclimatize the vehicle to the Country Market's conditions and the design is validated before the vehicle comes into the market!

No wonder we see cars like Endeavour and Fortuners with huge Rubbers and smaller Alloys, it's for our benefit! Don't upsize!
Old 15th November 2013, 15:53   #93

Thank you. Much as I want to upsize, I think i'll stick with the 16 inchers and perhaps swap them out for after market alloys. Completed further documentation and am not expecting delivery of the car this coming Wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Thanks a lot Nikhil, one of your posts rested in my mind so strong that I've rather chosen to Upgrade to Goodyears from MRF than to Michelin or Yoko! For a vehicle like Ecosport, even I believe Goodyears will do a good job, if not better and price wise, really makes good sense!

Dhruv, even roads in Delhi aren't as well carpeted as their European and American counterparts and going for Low Profile Tyres will:

1. Affect the Suspension and eventually somewhere Warranty Concerns will be there.

2. A very harsh ride.

3. Be prepared for Bulges on Tyre's Sidewall resulting from hard hitting by the Potholes!

At the end of it, whatever the company designs is to acclimatize the vehicle to the Country Market's conditions and the design is validated before the vehicle comes into the market!

No wonder we see cars like Endeavour and Fortuners with huge Rubbers and smaller Alloys, it's for our benefit! Don't upsize!
dhruvrock2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 22:39   #94
BHPian

Hello guys,
Iam about to get my ecosport by the end of this month and Iam seriously considering a tyre upgrade. Did a bit of research and narrowed down to two options Primacy 3ST and Yokohama dbES501, but couldn't choose between the two. Any help regarding this will be much appreciated. Thank you!
Old 17th November 2013, 23:42   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Hello guys,
Iam about to get my ecosport by the end of this month and Iam seriously considering a tyre upgrade. Did a bit of research and narrowed down to two options Primacy 3ST and Yokohama dbES501, but couldn't choose between the two. Any help regarding this will be much appreciated. Thank you!
If you get goodyear tyres then I would suggest dont bother upgrading. They're pretty decent and you can save some moolah for other more meaningful accessories. Just my two cents.
Cheers!!
nash13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 12:08   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash13 View Post
If you get goodyear tyres then I would suggest dont bother upgrading. They're pretty decent and you can save some moolah for other more meaningful accessories. Just my two cents.
Cheers!!
Yes, I'll stick with the stocks if I get Goodyears, but what if I get MRF ZV2K tyres, which are not at all good according to many members on the forum.
Which one should I choose then?
Old 24th November 2013, 13:20   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post

Yes, I'll stick with the stocks if I get Goodyears, but what if I get MRF ZV2K tyres, which are not at all good according to many members on the forum.
Which one should I choose then?
I have no idea how good or bad MRF tyres actually are. May be those who have driven extensively on MRFs can pitch in with a good advise. If you drive primarily in city with an occassional highway trip then I would still suggest you to stick with the stock tyres and upgrade your wheels later. To a large extent Tyre Performance depends on our driving needs and style as well. So think accordingly.
Again its just my two cents.
Cheers!!
nash13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 13:59   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash13 View Post
I have no idea how good or bad MRF tyres actually are. May be those who have driven extensively on MRFs can pitch in with a good advise. If you drive primarily in city with an occassional highway trip then I would still suggest you to stick with the stock tyres and upgrade your wheels later. To a large extent Tyre Performance depends on our driving needs and style as well. So think accordingly.
Again its just my two cents.
Cheers!!
I agree. I've driven over 5000 kms on the stock MRFs and frankly, haven't really found a reason to complain so far.

The car has travelled atleast half of that distance on highways and the rest in cities. Just came back from a Delhi-Manali trip last week and had absolutely no problems.
Old 26th February 2014, 18:53   #99
Senior - BHPian

In this thread, I only read about upsize of 16" tyres. What about the ideal upsize for the stock 195/65/15 tyres. I am about to take delivery of Ecosport Trend on 1st March, and unfortunately it is shodded with MRF tyres. I plan to retain the 15" steel (will possibly upgrade with the 15" Ford alloys in few months), but I was thinking of getting 205 section but retain the same high profile. This is to make the ride more comfortable in bad roads/potholes as well as less risk of damaging the alloys (if and when I put it).

What would be the ideal upsize for 195/65/15? From the upsizing calculator, I see the options
1) With 205/65/15, the error margin is 2.05% (higher GC).
2) With 205/60/15, its -1.18% (lower GC).
3) With 215/60/15, its 0.71% (higher GC).

Are these sizes readily available? I'll also prefer a hard compound tyres, but not the lousy MRF. So, no Michelin/Yoko. Should I stick to the stock size and change to better rubber, or upsize to the next size?

Experts, please suggest

Last edited by iTNerd : 26th February 2014 at 19:00.
Old 2nd March 2014, 10:28   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post

What would be the ideal upsize for 195/65/15? From the upsizing calculator, I see the options
1) With 205/65/15, the error margin is 2.05% (higher GC).
2) With 205/60/15, its -1.18% (lower GC).
3) With 215/60/15, its 0.71% (higher GC).

Are these sizes readily available? I'll also prefer a hard compound tyres, but not the lousy MRF. So, no Michelin/Yoko. Should I stick to the stock size and change to better rubber, or upsize to the next size?

Experts, please suggest
Go for option 1. The reason. 205/65-15 when compared against 195/65-15 is more than 2% diameter variance but when compared with the Titanium spec it is only 0.75% diameter variance.

The 205/65-15 is very close in diameter to the Titanium model's 205/60-16 overall diameter.

Moreover there are more options in 205/65-15. YOu can get Michelin XM2, Yokohama Earth 1, Conti premium contact2, Goodyear Assurance and many other options in that size.

205/60-15 and 215/60-15 are not as popular with lesser options plus the sizes aren't ideal.
Old 5th March 2014, 11:37   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Go for option 1. The reason. 205/65-15 when compared against 195/65-15 is more than 2% diameter variance but when compared with the Titanium spec it is only 0.75% diameter variance.
What do you think, an ideal downgrade of the Titanium spec wheels would be?

I am thinking of increasing the profile so that it would give a softer ride.

205/65R15 (-0.75%)
OR
205/70R15 (+2.39%)

Involves a wheel change, though.
Old 5th March 2014, 18:12   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
What do you think, an ideal downgrade of the Titanium spec wheels would be?

I am thinking of increasing the profile so that it would give a softer ride.

205/65R15 (-0.75%)
OR
205/70R15 (+2.39%)

Involves a wheel change, though.
205/65-15 only. There is a balance between handling also that you need to maintain. 205/70 is not a common size and even if available the sidewall height is way too much. It will flex more resulting in roll and impact handling.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 14:49   #103

How about putting 205/70R15 Yokohama geolander AT to give that suvish look to ecosport
Old 7th May 2014, 18:28   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
How about putting 205/70R15 Yokohama geolander AT to give that suvish look to ecosport
I have exacty the same query!

A friend is expecting delivery of his Ambienette 1.5L Petrol by end of May. He is a manager at a Tea Garden and has to regularly deal with unpaved roads which do turn slippery in the rains (not offroading!). So he was looking at getting some AT Tyres that would deal better with the slush!

This trim comes with 195/65R15 as stock tyres.

He is looking to upgrade to the 205/70 R15 Yokohama Geolander AT-S:

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-geolanderats_1.jpg

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-geolander_ats.jpg

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-landing_suv.jpg

This would be a 5.2% increase in wheel diameter compared to stock size which sounds a bit too much! However, increase in wheel diameter would only be 2.3% if we compare with the Titanium's 205/60 R16 stock tires.

The sidewall height would increase by 17mm from 126.75mm to 143.75mm, resulting in improved ride quality and increased ground clearance!

On paper, this looks all good:

+ Much better grip on muddy unpaved roads
+ Increased ground clearance from 205 to 220+ mm
+ Improved ride quality due to increased sidewall height
+ Better aesthetics & more SUVish looks

But, has anybody done this before? Is this doable? Any cons?
Old 21st May 2014, 16:49   #105

Hey friends,
My EcoSport Titanium Diesel is about to be delivered in about a weeks time now, and as the thread topic goes, please suggest me a suitable tyre upgrade, while retaining the stock size of 205 60 R16.
Just drove a friend's EcoSport Titanium Diesel (with GY Tyres) the other day, and found the tyres to be pretty noisy. So no question of retaining either of the 2 options provided by ford.
Michelin has only P3 ST as a so-called suitable option, and PLC.
Have heard of Yokohama db ES501 have even softer sidewalls than the Michelin P3 ST.
Don't know much about options available in India for Continentals.
Bridgestones have Turanza GR90, MY-02 and Potenza GIII.

Please Help Me Choose a right tye with reasonable strength, reasonable tyre life, good grip, better handling and feedback, better comfort and lower noise. Your valuable inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
NG

Last edited by NG111 : 21st May 2014 at 16:52.

Most Viewed