Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2018, 01:09   #136
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhal.kul View Post
I'm looking to upsize from the current 175/65 R15 to 195/60 R15 and will go for Michelin P3ST most probably. My question is regarding the spare tyre.

I'm thinking of changing the spare tyre to a 15 inch steel rim and one of my tyres is about 1 year old 175/65 R15 XM2 (had to replace it due to a side wall tear in my parking). Is it safe to reuse that tyre for the spare and put in four new upsized tyres. The concern is that it shouldn't cause any instabilities if the spare is used in rotation.
Original spare is 14 inch with a speed rating of 120 kms/hr. Replacing the spare with R15 is a much better option. I've driven more than 50 kms with a donut tire on my friends car and did not face any stability issue at speeds around 80.

Did you check Yokohama earth series ? Let us know impact on your mileage once you upgrade to 195 tires
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 10:48   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Did you check Yokohama earth series ? Let us know impact on your mileage once you upgrade to 195 tires
I did consider of the Yokohoma Earth 1, but I've heard that they're soft and you lose performance after 15-20K KMs. Have not heard anything of the sort for P3STs.

I'll post the mileage figures post upgrade. Currently, I'm clocking 12.5 - 13 kmpl in city conditions with AC working at all times.
singhal.kul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 13:44   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershlulla View Post
Yet to figure how this affects FE or highway running. Will update after my next long trip in end-November 2017.

How does the Earth1 perform after 8 months of use ? How much did it affect your FE ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My car had similar issue when I changed my OE steel wheels to alloy, and result was really scary.

First instance:
Ended up with two tire side wall cut (Left front and rear)
Second instance:
This time it was right front and rear tires side wall damage.

Did you have 175/65 on 7J rim ?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 23rd July 2018 at 09:32. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Old 20th July 2018, 17:25   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you have 175/65 on 7J rim ?
Different car and different size. But root cause of the issue is same.
Old 22nd July 2018, 12:35   #140
BHPian

Quote:
How does the Earth1 perform after 8 months of use ? How much did it affect your FE ?
Marginal change in FE, so hardly any impact there. Definite positive change in grip on upward slopes/flyovers. Better handling on turns, higher speeds and softer ride overall.

It's survived a 10k stint in pothole-ridden Mumbai, including some really nasty bumps and continues to impress.
hershlulla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 10:04   #141
BHPian

Hi. I’ve booked Jazz VX CVT and expecting delivery in the next few weeks. Most reviews online seem to be suggesting that a tyre upsize would improve the handling and grip levels since the car seems to be under-tyred with those puny 175 sections.

I would like to see pictures of a 195 section on your Jazz. I do have a feeling there would be tyre to body contact and just want to make sure.

Also would upsizing the tyre size void my warranty?
Old 24th November 2018, 12:06   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhal.kul View Post
I'm thinking of changing the spare tyre to a 15 inch steel rim and one of my tyres is about 1 year old 175/65 R15 XM2 (had to replace it due to a side wall tear in my parking). Is it safe to reuse that tyre for the spare and put in four new upsized tyres. The concern is that it shouldn't cause any instabilities if the spare is used in rotation.
If you're planning on doing 5 tyre rotation, all tyres need to be the same size. It shouldn't be done with four 195's and one 175 section tyre.

I'm running my 2011 Jazz on 195's and my spare is a 175 - all 15 inch. I do 4 tyre rotation with the 195s, and the spare is used if I have a puncture, to reach a repair shop.
Old 26th November 2018, 09:32   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
If you're planning on doing 5 tyre rotation, all tyres need to be the same size. It shouldn't be done with four 195's and one 175 section tyre.

I'm running my 2011 Jazz on 195's and my spare is a 175 - all 15 inch. I do 4 tyre rotation with the 195s, and the spare is used if I have a puncture, to reach a repair shop.
As the new Jazz models come with 15" main wheels and tyres and 14" spare wheel and tyre, will it be possible to upgrade the spare tyre size to 195 along with other tyres when upgrading? Thanks in advance.
Old 26th November 2018, 13:08   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
As the new Jazz models come with 15" main wheels and tyres and 14" spare wheel and tyre, will it be possible to upgrade the spare tyre size to 195 along with other tyres when upgrading? Thanks in advance.
Why would you want to do that?

I would recommend what I do in my Jazz. 195s on all 4 wheels and use the spare only when absolutely necessary. Even if you upgrade the 14 inch spare to 195, the total diameter and profile might not be equal to the other tyres - which might affect stability. I wouldn't do that!
Old 27th November 2018, 01:00   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Why would you want to do that?

I would recommend what I do in my Jazz. 195s on all 4 wheels and use the spare only when absolutely necessary. Even if you upgrade the 14 inch spare to 195, the total diameter and profile might not be equal to the other tyres - which might affect stability. I wouldn't do that!
Thanks! I asked the question as I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to wheels and tyres. If and when I upgrade, I will keep the spare as stock and use only sparingly during emergencies. Thanks again for your guidance.
Old 10th December 2018, 18:30   #146
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I just booked a Honda Jazz Petrol V CVT to replace my Honda City S MT which i bought in 2010. The main reason for going with a hatchback is that over the last 8 years the car was mostly driven in the city with the family hopping into a bigger car I have for the long trips.

Now my questions :

1)My car is already in the yard and I was told by the sales guy that its wearing the GoodYear Assurance tyres. Should I stick to this tyre or upsize ?

2) If I am to stick to the original 175/65 r15 setup, should i replace my goodyear with michelin XM2 ? Are the Goodyears any good ? Very mixed reviews on the forum.

3)If i am to upsize, it will be to 195/60 r15 and I would like to stick to Michelins , should I get the XM2 or 3ST. I have read good reviews here about both these tyres. Which of these two will have lesser impact on fuel efficiency considering this will be driven mostly in the city.

4)Jazz V CVT isn't a very peppy car. Will upgrading the tyres make it even more lousy to drive with the car having to struggle to gain speed ?

The car will be ready for delivery on Wednesday, so looking forward to all your valuable comments.
Old 11th December 2018, 13:54   #147
BHPian

Re: Need help with upgrading my new Honda Jazz tyres

I know I am suggesting something which is not in your consideration set .

Please consider the MRF perfinza if you choose to upgrade to 195 60 R15 . I have been using them for a almost a year . Really good rubber .

The Good Years are on our creta , and they do thend to get noisy in about a years time .
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 14:54   #148
BHPian

Thanks for your input Gautam. I will do a review on the MRF Perfinza too .
Old 11th December 2018, 22:57   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
Hello everyone,

1)My car is already in the yard and I was told by the sales guy that its wearing the GoodYear Assurance tyres. Should I stick to this tyre or upsize ?

2) If I am to stick to the original 175/65 r15 setup, should i replace my goodyear with michelin XM2 ? Are the Goodyears any good ? Very mixed reviews on the forum.

3)If i am to upsize, it will be to 195/60 r15 and I would like to stick to Michelins , should I get the XM2 or 3ST. I have read good reviews here about both these tyres. Which of these two will have lesser impact on fuel efficiency considering this will be driven mostly in the city.

4)Jazz V CVT isn't a very peppy car. Will upgrading the tyres make it even more lousy to drive with the car having to struggle to gain speed ?

The car will be ready for delivery on Wednesday, so looking forward to all your valuable comments.

Cheers

Hi, if you have the cash, I would suggest change it to 195/60/15's. When I got my Jazz CVT in 2017, I changed it immediately when I got it out of the showroom.
I have the Michelin Primacy 3ST, but from what I have read MRF Perfinza also seems to be a good option.
If you want to stick to the original factory specs of the tyre, I won't suggest changing it.
On the last question, me and my friend both have 2017 Jazz CVT, he stuck to the factory fitted tyres. When I drive his car, it feels more laggy for some reason, I feel the pickup in mine is much smoother.

Michelin is tried and tested, so if you don't want to take any chances, stick with Michelin.
jaysonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 01:40   #150
BHPian

Our Radiant Red Honda Jazz V CVT is finally home.

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-nez.jpg

And she loses her factory shoes straightaway. Out goes the Bridgestone 175/60 R15s and in comes the 195/60 R15 Michelin Primacy 4 ST !!!

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_2661.jpg

First impressions- Its awesome, but wait till my initial euphoria dies down , will come back soon with updates.
FireBug is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks