Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2006, 16:10   #31
Team-BHP Support

Just met Psycho and he told he put Yokohama ES100 on his Conti yesterday. That is his recommendation too.
Old 8th December 2006, 17:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Just met Psycho and he told he put Yokohama ES100 on his Conti yesterday.
Are you sure? Cos he sold the Conti months ago. I think you mean Esteem
Old 8th December 2006, 17:18   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Are you sure? Cos he sold the Conti months ago. I think you mean Esteem
I assumed it was the Conti, then it must be the Esteem. Didn't know he had sold it.
Old 9th December 2006, 11:52   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
205/60 R14: GC will increase by 0.5mm, speedo error 0.5%, would be a good upgrade.195/60 R14: GC will decrease by 5.5mm, speedo error 1.8%, reduction in GC is a concern.185/65 R14: GC will decrease by 2.3mm, speedo error 0.7%, would be a good upgrade.
Whada whada whada hooda gooda bloo bloo... huh????? Samu-san I am but a mere mortal in these matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Sam, why bother changing the tyres in the first place?

- You will not be driving this car
- The car will basically be driven in the city during peak hours where the average speed will not exceed 25kmph
- The stock tyres are already biased towards comfort.

I am the first guy to tell people to change their stock tyres (or atleast thats what The Old Man tells me), but in this case I fail to see the point. Aside from spending a bit more of your companies money, which could be put to better use like having a house party in Mumbai
I considered that RT. But like airfoil pointed out - the verna does look like it's standing on very thin legs. Safety comes first. If I live long, I can throw many house parties in Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
Sam, my vote goes to the Bridgestone Potenza GIII.

Your best upgrade option in my mind is 185/65 R14.

Do consider switching to Hyundai alloys!
I have had some terrible experiences with Bridgestone and they have forever lost me as a customer. I don't care if Bridgestone has a gilded tyre with naked large breasted lebanese women, with soft skin the colour freshly drawn cream, rolling the tyres gently towards my verna, singing beautifully and offering me sweet wine from their pouty rosebud lips... I'm not buying Bridgestone.

I think I'm gonna now decide between 195 and 185 Michelin whatevers and Yokohama ES somethings.

I HATE hyundai alloys and don't think I want to buy aftermarket alloys for my daily company ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Bad choice - how're you going to fit all your limbs and hairy appendages into that car? Especially if you're going to be in the backseat (I'm assuming - I hope you're a front seat passenger).
Steeroid baba, the ford fiesta was not feeling good to sit in. The front seat of the verna is comfortable to drive in. As comfy as my lancer.
I will be backseating it to town everyday, so i tried the rear left backseat. With the front seat ALL the way to the front and with the backrest folded over it was WONDERFUL limo like.
I'm gonna chop the headrest off, so I can see where we're going. I hate that front headrest in front of my eyes..

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 9th December 2006 at 11:57.
Old 9th December 2006, 12:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Good decision Sam! You can go in for 195/60 Michelin Energy XM1's with your eyes closed. They are good tyres & this is a perfect upsize considering your requirements. It'll give you good ride, looks & comfort.
Old 9th December 2006, 12:22   #36
BHPian

i have michelins 195/s in my skoda, pretty good and ride well too.....
Old 9th December 2006, 14:30   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I have had some terrible experiences with Bridgestone and they have forever lost me as a customer. I don't care if Bridgestone has a gilded tyre with ........ I'm not buying Bridgestone.
What were those terrible experiences? I'm sure everyone would love to hear about them, me included. I'm guessing they may have been with the India made tyres - the Potenzas are imported.

As for the alloys, I'd say you're better off with the stock alloys than the ugly wheel covers supplied. Yeah, these will drive the cost up but I'd hate to use a car with those plastic uglies glued on...
Old 9th December 2006, 14:36   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

The diesel doesnt have the alloys as an option anyways. And you are right, hubcaps are crap, but stock is stock. let's see, if i'm in the mood I may buy 14" alloys. lol
Old 9th December 2006, 14:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so i tried the rear left backseat. With the front seat ALL the way to the front and with the backrest folded over it was WONDERFUL limo like.
I'm gonna chop the headrest off, so I can see where we're going. I hate that front headrest in front of my eyes..
Saala Sam toh sahab ban gaya !! Verna mein taang utha ke baitha !!

Hey Sharmili Sam - why you want alloys when you will be inside the car most of the time ? fatter rubber yeah I would recommend but just a size fatter nothing more , if the OE tyres are 175 go for 185 .....baaki sab toh the experts have pointed you in the right direction including the brnd of tyres etc etc !!

Yeah and before I forget - Congratulations !!
Old 9th December 2006, 22:24   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Whada whada whada hooda gooda bloo bloo... huh????? Samu-san I am but a mere mortal in these matters.
195/60R14 will reduce Verna's ground clearance from 170mm to 164.5mm and the speedometer reading will be off by 1.8%. My initial suggestion was you pick either 205/60 or 185/65. But as Sideways suggested, 5.5J is borderline case for 205/60 tyres. Since you are sticking with 5.5J steel wheels, your best choice is 185/65. If I was in your place, I would switch to 6.5J alloys and 205/60R14 yokos.
Old 10th December 2006, 04:26   #41
BHPian

6J for the 205's should suffice. I would go in for the alloys too. R14.
Old 10th December 2006, 09:59   #42
Team-BHP Support

Ouch! Ouch! I just checked the Verna site. The CRDi comes with the following tyres:

The 5.0J x 14" Steel Wheel with 175/70 R14 tyres.

It is 5J and not 5.5J, only alloys are 5.5J. That means you can forget anything above 185/65, even 185/65 is a borderline case, not recommended.

Sam you either stick with stock tyres or upgrade to 6J alloys. Upgrading to wider tyres on 5J steel rim is not recommended.
Old 10th December 2006, 11:26   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

OK will keep stock, or change wheels as well as tyres. Will keep everyone updated.
Old 10th December 2006, 23:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

Sir,

get 185/65-14 Potenza GIII on stock rims

KP
Old 10th December 2006, 23:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:

It is 5J and not 5.5J, only alloys are 5.5J. That means you can forget anything above 185/65, even 185/65 is a borderline case, not recommended.
oops... is this correct.. i just upgraded my stock accent tyres (5j) to 195/60R13...
this seems to be sticking on well... did a journey to kerala from blore... ~600 Km...no problems noticed so far!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks