Old 24th December 2020, 21:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Replacing just 1 tyre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I rest my case.
Your continental article starts with the following text:

Quote:
In order to achieve optimal driving characteristics Continental recommends that the same tyres are fitted on all wheel positions of your vehicle. In other words tyres of the same brand, tread pattern tyre size, load index and speed symbol should be fitted all round.
This is what Michelin has to say on the topic:

https://www.michelinman.com/mixingTires.html

Quote:
Replacing a single tire on a vehicle can have an adverse effect on suspension systems, gear ratios, transmissions, and tire treadwear. If a single tire replacement is unavoidable, it is recommended that the single new tire be paired with the deepest tread tire from the vehicle (including the full size spare) and both be placed as a pair according to the recommendations in the paragraph immediately above
In various countries it is illegal to have different brands on the same axle, irrespective if they are of the same specification and thread wear.

I think you are not giving sufficient consideration how a small amount of money can enhance your overall safety.

Jeroen

Last edited by GTO : 26th December 2020 at 08:11. Reason: Toning it down, bud'
Jeroen is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 22:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

A friend and I went to check a used X1 and found it running with tyres of 3 different brands. Needless to say, we decided to walk away from the car since we assumed the overall upkeep of the car to follow the same pattern.

Last edited by GTO : 26th December 2020 at 08:12. Reason: Toning it down
Jaguar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 10:05   #18
BHPian

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ordered the tyre from tyremarket.com and they’re sending the same tyre that came as stock for the GLA.

Since our vehicle is 4matic, as per the suggestion of a user on this forum, it was recommended to change all four tyres. That’s very expensive.

Tyremarket is sending a 2019 manufactured tyre, will be using it for 2-3 years and replace all of them together again, probably with Michelins.

So I should place the new tyre with deepest grooves/tread on rear axle? and other two on front axle?
Restart is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 11:18   #19
BANNED

I have been running a stock Apollo 175/65 R14 on the rear left side along with 3 other 185/65 R14' Michelins for over 35k kms in my Figo and have had no issues till date.
COMMUTER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 12:13   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
I have been running a stock Apollo 175/65 R14 on the rear left side along with 3 other 185/65 R14' Michelins for over 35k kms in my Figo and have had no issues till date.
One of those days a dog jumping infront of your vehicle will escape unhurt because your vehicle veered off course under panic braking and crashed into something else.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 12:21   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
One of those days a dog jumping infront of your vehicle will escape unhurt because your vehicle veered off course under panic braking and crashed into something else.
I have had a few hard stops and I have done just fine. I usually am content with risking spoiling my radiator than to risk everything by swerving but I have been mercifully spared of too many hard choices till date.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 25th December 2020 at 12:24.
COMMUTER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 12:54   #22
BHPian

Same thing happened with me.

During wheel balancing, small crack was detected on the side wall of the tyre. Tyre was running OK without loosing air but could have been dangerous in the long run, so we decided to replace damaged tyre with the stepney. Fortunately stepney was of same specification that of normal four tyres so replacement was flawless.

Last edited by IP_Man : 25th December 2020 at 12:58.
Old 25th December 2020, 13:02   #23
BHPian

As long as the speed rating, tire size are similar/same, then it should be fine. Tread pattern won’t affect drivability as much, speaking with experience. Unless you’re a spirited driver, for regular usage it should be fine.
vishwasvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 13:36   #24
BHPian

Apologies to OP for butting in. I'm facing the same dilemma with 2018 Verna with 16K on Odo (Bridgestone Ecopia stock tyres). While parked in Udumalpet, somebody decided to sharpen their blade on rear right tyre. Presently on Stepney- R15 while stock is R16.

Please do suggest the way forward:

Option 1: Change just one tyre with same make and model
Option 2: Buy a pair of a different brand and keep rotating every 6 months
Option 3: Buy a pair of same brand and keep rotating every 6 months.
Option 4: Change all 4.
Old 25th December 2020, 16:37   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post

Option 1: Change just one tyre with same make and model
Considering the options, this appears to be the best one. Try upsizing the stepney to r16 using this as an opportunity and then rotate the tires every 5k kms
Old 25th December 2020, 20:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
So what are saying? You can afford a BMW X1, but won't spend a small amount to buy an extra tyre?
Just a thought - This is a forum where everyone can post their thoughts.

While I agree, the pair on an axle needs to be similar - I don't think one needs to be judgmental and call someone cheap

Last edited by GTO : 26th December 2020 at 08:16. Reason: Quoted post edited
yogeshnagpal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 21:01   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Just a thought - This is a forum where everyone can post their thoughts.
Two tyres ensures he would be maximising the safety of his vehicle, his loved ones he is carrying, and of course others on or near the road he travels?

We are talking about somebody willingly trading safety for money. A very small amount of money for somebody that can afford these sort of cars. What would you call such a person.

Jeroen

Last edited by GTO : 28th December 2020 at 08:04. Reason: Toning it down
Jeroen is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 22:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

We are talking about somebody willingly trading safety for money. A very small amount of money for somebody that can afford these sort of cars. What would you call such a person.

Jeroen
If you could share few instances, where fresh new good quality mixed tyres causing accidents, it would be of great help to us.

ABS and other aids are programed to perform well even if there is different level of grip on each tyre, they will need to perform even if the left set of tyres are on gravel and right is on tarmac as far as I know.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 25th December 2020 at 23:01.
giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 23:03   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Well, what do you call someone who can buy and own a BMW X1, but buys 1 tyre instead of 2.
A very small amount of money
I think that it's more a problem of discarding a good tire which holds good value than spending more on the car.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 00:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
My suggestion be get one tyre and place it on the rear axle. Continental is also good.

Since car has done only 8,000 kms, tread would be still at 6+ mm.

I have been driving my BMW X1 with different tyres on front axle FWD, Bridgestone Turanza T001I and Pirelli P7 Cinturato. No issues whatsoever since 1.5 years.
Hey

How would you rate the performance of the Bridgestone Turanza over the Pirellis?

I am due for a change on my M Sport and contemplating between Bridgestone and Continental, subject to availability of course considering the supply situation.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks