Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2020, 20:04   #1
BHPian

Replacing just 1 tyre?

Our 45months old Mercedes GLA 220d has clocked around 8k kms on ODO and recently when returning from a trip, the front left wheel hit a huge pothole which tore the beading of tyre, the tyre bulged and came apart from rim completely rendering the tyre useless. A tube was installed by local mechanic and the bad tyre was replaced with rear left tyre.

Its specifications are 235/50R18 97V type tyres (Yokohama bluearth series C drive 2) and since all other tyres are in good condition and cost of a single tyre being upwards of 19k, I have decided to change single tyre.

I contacted many local dealers but none of them have this model, even yokohama doesn’t have stock of this tyre in whole Telangana state. I placed an order on tyresnmore.com and after a while they called me saying that there’s no stock of this tyre and they’d like me to purchase a continental tyre.

The question is if I purchase the continental tyre, and since its a single tyre change would the driving dynamics change? Since the tyre tread design is unique for current Yokohama c drive 2?

And is it advisable to change just the single bad tyre? The other tyres look brand new to me. Spare wheel is not a full size wheel, (135/90 R17) so can’t use that. I have placed an order with tyremarket for the tyre but I don’t have much hope, they said they’ll check inventory and confirm order within a week and if there’s no stock they’ll refund the amount.

Opinions and suggestions please, apologies for the bad grammar in advance.
Restart is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 22:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Replacing just 1 tyre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restart View Post
The question is if I purchase the continental tyre, and since its a single tyre change would the driving dynamics change? Since the tyre tread design is unique for current Yokohama c drive 2?

And is it advisable to change just the single bad tyre? T
You can google this to your heart’s content and the internet will tell you, it is, strongly, advisable, to always have the same make/type of tyres. At least paired left/right. Front/rear is a bit less tricky.

I was in a similar situation. In 2021 I shipped my Jaguar from Kansas City where we had lived for almost 4 years to my home country in the Netherlands. The week prior to shipping I had four new Michelin Sports tyres fitted, because it is so much cheaper in the USA.

The first week in the Netherlands I blow one of the brand new Michelins. Turns out the USA Michelin Sport is different from the European Sport. Now these were brand new tyres with less than 150 km on them, when I blew one.

When it comes to tyres, I just do not take any risk. It is 4 square small patches of rubber that is all that keeps your car on the road, ensures performance, braking and safety. I have always and will always change tyres per pair left and right. Anything else, is just not good enough and not worth the risk. Even thought the Michelin Sports are hugely expensive in Europe, realistically, it is not a huge outlay as they will last me a lot of years, mileage. So don’t be cheap, be save!!

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 23:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Never mix and match tires, that is a bad idea. Please check in the owner's manual if there are any specific instructions on tire replacements if it is an AWD model.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 23:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with the above posts.

It's always better to have tires of the same brand and series on the same axle. This will ensure that the dynamics of the car will be predictable. You don't want your car to handle better while turning to the right than to the left and vice versa.

If you brake really hard in cars without ABS, the less grippy tire on an axle could lock up and can potentially cause the vehicle to fishtail . This is to be considered in case ABS stops working due to wheel speed sensor failure which is pretty common these days.

Last edited by Turbohead : 23rd December 2020 at 23:02.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 08:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Did you check with car dealership if they have the same tire? It may be a bit costlier compared to other tire shops but if you compare the cost of replacing all tires, replacing one tire at dealership, if available, makes more sense.

Another thought is, since the car has already done 45 months, tires would have started becoming hard. Anyway lifetime of tires would be 60 months. you are not really at loss. You are just losing 15 months. So, if spare wheel and tire is also of same size, use Spare tire for another 15 months. Purchase one continental tire and use it as spare.

You can change all the tires at once after you feel satisfied with the usage of all tires.

Last edited by gkveda : 24th December 2020 at 08:29.
Old 24th December 2020, 08:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Practical solution,
- Buy 2 Conti tires
- Keep the 3rd Yoko aside, during periodical tire rotation keep using the 3rd one with existing Yokos (Rotation has to follow LH-RH swap or a 'X' swap keeping same brand tires within axle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
In 2021 I shipped my Jaguar from Kansas City
I know you are living in a different time zone, but never knew this far

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 24th December 2020 at 08:36.
Mr.Boss is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 09:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Replacing just 1 tyre?

The title of the thread is incomplete. OP's question is: Should one be replacing just 1 tyre with a different brand and tread pattern?

The answer, as explained by everybody, is a resounding NO - at least, not unless one drives an ADV.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 09:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Never replace a single tire, the entire set is recommended, but when you loose a less used tire you can go in for a pair.

This will be use full only if your car has a full size spare.
You have run 8000 km, your first tire rotation is usually at 10,000 km, if you can manage to get a brand new tire of the same make from US you can buy a single tire, do a 5 tire rotation and pair it with the tire that is currently your spare.
Otherwise buy a pair, and keep the good tire from your current pair as a spare.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 10:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

What about your stepney? It can be fitted in place of the bad tyre. Since all the four tyres at present will be matched, run the car on four tyres only, with four wheel rotation. Buy a most economical new tyre which will suit the car and keep it strictly as stepney. When it is time to replace the four running tyres, buy a fresh set of five tyres and discard the spare.

Last edited by Gansan : 24th December 2020 at 10:33.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 15:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our 45months old Mercedes GLA 220d has clocked around 8k kms on ODO

My suggestion be get one tyre and place it on the rear axle. Continental is also good.

Since car has done only 8,000 kms, tread would be still at 6+ mm.

I have been driving my BMW X1 with different tyres on front axle FWD, Bridgestone Turanza T001I and Pirelli P7 Cinturato. No issues whatsoever since 1.5 years.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 17:29   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
M. No issues whatsoever since 1.5 years.
Just because you were lucky does not make it a sound and safe practice nor does it make particularly good advise either.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 21:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion is a bit cheapskate. The Yokos are not available now due to the restrictions in the tyre market. A couple of tyre dealers I spoke to are confident that new tryes will be available in 3-4 months.
I assume that you are able to drive around your car with the tube replacement. And also that you have a spare car which you can use.
Thus just wait for the market to reopen and buy a single tyre. (I'm waiting for Michelins to come back to the market.)
The main disadvantage of replacing a single tyre is that it will wear out fast to the level of the other tyre in the same axle. Thus if the other tyre is almost new/ less run, you can change only one tyre, but if the other one is old/ bald, the new one will also wear out in about 1000 kms.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 21:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just because you were lucky does not make it a sound and safe practice nor does it make particularly good advise either.
Difference is tyre tread pattern is similar, load index is same, speed rating is same and both are RFT approved by BMW.

If there was an issue, BMW India would have never allowed it under their BMW Secure program.

X1 is driven like it's meant to be and covered 9,000 kms in 1.5 years with mixed tyres.

Here is what Continental Tyres says about mixing tyres
Quote:
Can I mix different tyre brands and different tread patterns on my vehicle?
We recommend that the same tyres are fitted on all wheel positions of your vehicle. If however, due to availability or economical considerations, mixing is necessary then it is permissible to mix brands and tread patterns as long as the same tread patterns and brands are fitted across the same axle.

It may also be possible to mix load index and speed symbol as long as the load index and speed symbols are above the minimum vehicle manufactures recommendations (extra load vs. standard load). In such cases the higher rated tyres should be fitted on the rear axle.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 21:31   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
X1 is driven like it's meant to be and covered 9,000 kms in 1.5 years with mixed tyres.
So what are saying? You can afford a BMW X1, but won't spend a small amount to buy an extra tyre?

Jeroen

Last edited by GTO : 26th December 2020 at 08:15. Reason: Toning it down
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 21:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what are saying? You can afford a BMW X1, but won't spend a small amount to buy an extra tyre?
All I'm saying is its safe to drive mixed tyres, as long as tyre tread pattern is similar, load index is same, speed rating is same. Plus speaking from experience and gave validation from a reputed tyre manufacturer. I rest my case.

Last edited by GTO : 26th December 2020 at 08:16. Reason: Quoted post edited
el lobo 6061 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks