Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2020, 12:11   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Replacing just 1 tyre?

I guess in the absence of any credible data that replacing just one tyre in a situation that doesn't necessarily demand replacement of more than one tyre, we shall go on arguing all day long which one is better than the other.

My concluding opinion: so far there's no evidence to suggest that replacing just one tyre causes any kind of a problem, so if three of the tyres are in perfect health and just one tyre got damaged and is replaced, the owner doesn't necessarily become a cheapo or a less safe driver.
honeybee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 12:34   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
My concluding opinion: so far there's no evidence to suggest that replacing just one tyre causes any kind of a problem, so if three of the tyres are in perfect health and just one tyre got damaged and is replaced, the owner doesn't necessarily become a cheapo or a less safe driver.
This is a good demonstration that despite the obvious and having safety recommendations in owner's manual , people will do whatever they feel like and then claim it's the best thing to do and also encourage others to follow their careless ways.

If you blow out a continental MC5, you have to replace it with a continental MC5 of the same size and not whatever you find for cheap.
Old 27th December 2020, 14:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Looks like you are confused with two different aspects. If the other tyres are new and one replaces a single damaged tyre with another one of the same brand, size and pattern, it is acceptable. However, if a matching tyre cannot be procured, using a different brand/spec tyre is not the right thing. Moreover, replacing damaged tyres is not a daily affair. If one owns a car, he/she should be able/willing to afford these one-off expenses. It averages out when looking at the overall ownership cost.
Old 27th December 2020, 14:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
This is a good demonstration that despite the obvious and having safety recommendations in owner's manual , people will do whatever they feel like and then claim it's the best thing to do and also encourage others to follow their careless ways.

If you blow out a continental MC5, you have to replace it with a continental MC5 of the same size and not whatever you find for cheap.
And by that, I assume, if someone isn't able to source two Continental MC5s matching the remaining ones, may be just replace all four, and the spare, to brand new tyres from a different brand because one can't mix two brands or models, no matter what.

I shall wait for the day everyone follows that, and then open a tyre shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Looks like you are confused with two different aspects. If the other tyres are new and one replaces a single damaged tyre with another one of the same brand, size and pattern, it is acceptable. However, if a matching tyre cannot be procured, using a different brand/spec tyre is not the right thing. Moreover, replacing damaged tyres is not a daily affair. If one owns a car, he/she should be able/willing to afford these one-off expenses. It averages out when looking at the overall ownership cost.
I am not confused.

If I had four tyres which have about 10k life left and if I lose a tyre from those, I might buy two new ones.

If I had four tyres which have clocked 10k kms, and if I lose a tyre, I shall buy one new tyre.

Which make or model depends largely on availability. As long as the size is the same and tread pattern is similar, I don't see a problem.

Regarding whether it should be called cheap or not, I shall just let it pass as I don't see the logic behind calling someone names because they don't agree with a particular thought.

It makes no sense for me to say since tyre replacement doesn't happen every day, why not replace two. Because then one can always question: why not replace all five?

So it all boils down to a simple question, really. Do we have any hard evidence that proves that, all other variables remaining the same, a vehicle met with an accident just because it was running three Michelins and one Goodyear?

As long as we don't have any good solid data to answer that question, it's really just opinions and best practices.

Last edited by vb-saan : 30th December 2020 at 19:43. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 19:43   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

It is not at all obvious. No manual states the tyres have to be from the same manufacturer. Some manuals recommend similar size and tread wear which is quite reasonable.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 20:31   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
It is not at all obvious. No manual states the tyres have to be from the same manufacturer. Some manuals recommend similar size and tread wear which is quite reasonable.
Sir would you please read the previous page, I have posted it from two different owner's manual. Now you want more ? Sure here we go, this one specifically mentions No to different brand as well.

Replacing just 1 tyre?-mvimg_20201227_201104.jpg

Same Tread pattern means, same tire - Apollo accelere does not have same tread pattern as Continental MC5, they may however has same tread wear number , which is not comparable between brands either , these are two different things, but you know that already.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 09:12   #52
BHPian

I got the new tyre (same one) and replaced with old tyre and placed new one at left front wheel. I checked other tyres and the wear is very negligible compared to new one so I’ll be using these set of tyres for 15-27 months and replace them all with Michelins, if I find them. We actually wanted to swap for Michelins right now but the dealers don’t have stock at all due to pandemic situation.

I cancelled the order from Tyremarket.com and got the tyre from Tyresnmore as they could come and install the tyre faster than tyremarket and I must say they did a fabulous job of sending over a experienced worker. He told us everything he was doing and why he was doing it giving us some additional knowledge .
Restart is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 15:54   #53
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Tyre for Volvo V90 Cross country

Hi Everyone,
I would very much appreciate some help in this issue that I am having.
I have a Volvo V90 CC 2017 model and it has 235/50 R19 Michelin tyres. Yesterday I had a problem with pressure loss in one tyre and after I replaced it with the spare and took it for repair, I found that it is damaged on the side wall and not repairable.
The tires have done 48K KM already but they are good to go for another 20K judging from the tread available.
I was trying to find the same tire everywhere but nobody seems to have the Michelins in stock in Hyderabad. The Volvo dealer says he has them in stock but wants 35K each for it
I have some questions that I am hoping that you all can clear up
1. Can i replace just one tyre out of 4, is that advisable?
2. Can i change to another brand like Pirelli?
3. I was told that the Michelins used by Volvo were specifically designed for them and that these are not sold by tyre dealers... sounds bogus to me.
4. Is the TPMS inside the rim or in the tyre valve usually, does it get affected by a tyre change?

Can anyone help.
Thanks
Chandu
Old 7th April 2021, 15:47   #54
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I did not get any response but some of the messages above were very useful.
So here is what i did and the reasons, maybe it will be useful to someone else.
1. You can replace just one tire only if there will not be too much difference in the overall diameter of the old and new tyres.
2. Multi brand will not be advisable especially if the tread pattern is not exactly the same
3. Maybe true as I have been unable to find this tyre at any of the tyre shops. A couple in the UK had it and they listed it as a tyre specifically for volvo cars.
4. The TPMS on the volvo is an indirect measurement system, they actually use the ABS sensor system to measure the rotation of the tyres and back calculate the diameter, if the dia changes, it means that the air has been lost in the tyre and a notification will popup. So specially important for all tyres to be very similar in terms of wear out.

So, I have got only one tyre for now and will replace all 4 when the time comes to replace the other 3. The new one that I have now will go into storage as a spare if needed in the future.
Cheers, hope this helps someone.
chandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 20:49   #55
BHPian

Mixing Tyres in same car-Is it ok?

Hi BHPians,

My car underwent an accident recently that damaged the front wheel rim and tyre. The tyre also started to rub into the body and there were scratches in the rubber (due to a damaged axle, suspension & steering rack apparently).

Insurance has offered to replace the tyre & rim (with 50% dep). My question to the forum is :

Is it ok to have 1 new and 3 old (35k Km) tyres on the car. I remember reading that this can cause the new tyre to wear out faster than usual. Is that a correct understanding?

The other option is to get all 4 replaced, but due to the accidental repair bills, i would put off the expense if possible. Can you please advice what is the right way to approach this.
Old 22nd July 2021, 21:15   #56
BHPian

Re: Mixing Tyres in same car-Is it ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro11 View Post
My car underwent an accident recently that damaged the front wheel rim and tyre. The tyre also started to rub into the body and there were scratches in the rubber (due to a damaged axle, suspension & steering rack apparently).
Can you please advice what is the right way to approach this.
Both tyres on the same axle should be of the same brand and size and have the same threads. Mixing tyres on the same axle is not wise.

Right now I have 2 Nokians on the front axle and 2 Firestones on the rear.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 22nd July 2021 at 21:18.
Indian2003 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 21:46   #57
BHPian

Quote:
3 old (35k Km) tyres on the car
35K and 3 yrs is a good timeline for tires. Punctures and quicker wear and tear would be the norm post this time period.

Quote:
The other option is to get all 4 replaced,
This is the way to go considering Safety which is of paramount significance.

So, please change all the shoes.
Old 22nd July 2021, 21:50   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it ok to have 1 new and 3 old (35k Km) tyres on the car.
due to the accidental repair bills, i would put off the expense if possible.
Get one more new tire (1+1) and use 2 new tires in same axle.
Mr.Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 22:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

My Duster AWD is 6.5 yrs old and done only 43K, running on stock MRF tyres. Recently, front driver side got a side wall puncture and the puncture-wala told me to replace only that one as the others have atleast 10k kms worth life left. I listened to him because I am not using the car much (less than 200kms per month due to pandemic) and its 100% used within the city only. It is Yokohama Geolander (exact same size).

But this thread is bothering me now - should I change the front passenger wheel as well? Or should I change all?
My office wont reopen atleast until Jan'22 and the car will be used very sparingly and within city limits only.

Last edited by Equus : 22nd July 2021 at 23:01.
Old 22nd July 2021, 23:16   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
My Duster AWD is 6.5 yrs old and done only 43K, running on stock MRF tyres. Recently, front driver side got a side wall puncture and the puncture-wala told me to replace only that one as the others have atleast 10k kms worth life left.

But this thread is bothering me now - should I change the front passenger wheel as well? Or should I change all?
My office wont reopen atleast until Jan'22 and the car will be used very sparingly and within city limits only.
Duster owner's manual.

"Always ensure tyres with identical specifications are fitted to all four wheels (brand, size, structure, wear etc.). Fitting tyres
of different sizes to the front and rear wheels and/or left and right wheels may have serious consequences for the tyres,
gearbox, transfer gearbox and the rear differential pinions."

I guess you are getting new tyres.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed