Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 13:17   #781
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Need urgent help please.
One of my tyres had a puncture over the weekend, and I think I shouldn't wait any longer to change them.

I am now in Pune. Can any Safari owner in Pune recommend a place where I can go please? Thanks in advance.
Old 9th December 2014, 12:16   #782
Senior - BHPian

Ok - so, I did visit the other thread where I saw Lokmanya Auto services being highly recommended by fellow Pune BHP'ians. Gave a quick call at 12 noon, spoke with Ashish Kulkarni ( the name recommended ) and fixed the meeting for 4 pm.
A very patient discussion - talking about the merits of different tyres etc..and finally, I took the plunge and get 4 new Michelin shoes.

The only issue I faced is that they charge 2% for cards ( they shouldn't be doing this ).

Otherwise, the first 40 KM's using the new Michelin is a joy. I can see reduced tyre noise.

What I am trying to get used to is a slightly lighter steering. Not sure why, it weighs up lesser than what I was used to with the OEM Bridgestone. And today morning, enroute to office, I had to brake suddenly, and the beast skidded, and I didn't feel ABS coming to play. Slightly worried, will see what it is later this evening.

Otherwise, very very happy with the new Michelins.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 22:58   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Ok - so, I did visit the other thread where I saw Lokmanya Auto services being highly recommended by fellow Pune BHP'ians. Gave a quick call at 12 noon, spoke with Ashish Kulkarni ( the name recommended ) and fixed the meeting for 4 pm.
A very patient discussion - talking about the merits of different tyres etc..and finally, I took the plunge and get 4 new Michelin shoes.

The only issue I faced is that they charge 2% for cards ( they shouldn't be doing this ).

Otherwise, the first 40 KM's using the new Michelin is a joy. I can see reduced tyre noise.

What I am trying to get used to is a slightly lighter steering. Not sure why, it weighs up lesser than what I was used to with the OEM Bridgestone. And today morning, enroute to office, I had to brake suddenly, and the beast skidded, and I didn't feel ABS coming to play. Slightly worried, will see what it is later this evening.

Otherwise, very very happy with the new Michelins.
An ABS equipped car DOES permit the wheels to lock for small intervals. Generally a long screech in a straight line with no correction by the ABS is bad news, while turning this can be attributed to cornering forces which are not corrected by ABS but by TCS albeit in a similar 'pulsated-braking' fashion.
Minor locking is also irrelevant if the car is at a very slow speed (<20Km/H).
Still, you may wish to get tyre pressures checked and the brakes bled if the car has seen a fair mileage.
bharatsomany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 20:49   #784
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L technical/Other problems/solutions Thread

Hi Experts,

I have a 2008 Model Safari 2.2 VTT Lx which is serving well still at 92K kms. Though the confusion/trouble that I am currently in is not purely technical issue, it has taken my peace of mind away. Hence thought of taking help from the experts and the experienced in Tbhp.

The vehicle is running Stock Tyres (Bridgestone Dueller D689 Tubeless - P235/70R 16 105S on stock steel rims) and has become pretty hard off late. I am not complaining since the tyres have lived its life already. There have been never any issues with balancing, uneven wear and tear etc with these tyres - they have been balanced , aligned and rotated religiously at 7.5k/15k respectively.

Now the time has come to replace the tyres and below are the options collected after doing some research on the net as well as by calling some of the tyre dealers in the city:

1. Bridgestone Dueller D689 (same as stock) - Rugged built, long-lasting, no balancing related issues - However, is hard and gets very hard after half the life of the tyre (Best Price I got in B'lore is around 7.4k per piece including fitting)

2. Yokohama Geolander - Soft compound (silicon mixed as I am told) so comfortable ride, Moderate life as the wear and tear could me more compared to Bridgestone (Best Price I got in B'lore is around 7.2k per piece including fitting)

3. Michelins - Not familiar with this one as I have never used Michelins, not sure how it fares on a Safari (Best Price I got in B'lore is around 8.2k per piece including fitting)

Could anyone here who have experienced any of the above tyres on their Safari's kindly enlighten me? I have lost sleep over this topic already as this investment is for another 5 years (hopefully I can keep the vehicle for that long)

Many thanks for your time and responses!!
sunil_k_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 22:16   #785
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L technical/Other problems/solutions Thread

@Sunil, I have used the BS S689's (stock tyres on my Sumo) for about 95k. They are decent stock tyres. When I got my Storme, I did check around and opted for Michelin Latitude Cross. No complaints after 34k. From the inputs I got, these are better than the Yoko's, including the side-wall.

Apollo's new tyres (if they are available in size) or even MRF Wanderers can be options here.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 20:03   #786
BHPian

Hi Condor,

Many thanks for the reply. Though the prices for Yoko's have reduced (?) and dealers are pushing them, the 'peace of mind' factor is not there for Yoko's. Tbhp itself along with other forums are flooded with issues related to soft side wall of Yoko's.

Let me do a bit more research on the other brands you suggested and take a final decision. Many thanks for the pointers and PM

Regards,
Sunil.
Old 26th April 2015, 12:17   #787
BHPian

Hello Gentlemen,

Took the plunge and got 4 Geolander A/T-s for my vehicle and the result has been pleasant so far. Breaking has been improved a little bit, but the major improvement is on the ride quality - ride is much softer and road noise is almost nil. Also, passing through water has been easier - no more sudden deceleration while entering water at speeds. However, please take note that I am comparing this performance with my 7 years old (read as, hard due to the compound used in Bridgestone and due to the age factor) ones.

Penning this after completing 650km trip to Kerala - Just an update if this can help someone who is in the same dilemma that I was in a month ago

Thanks,
Sunil.
sunil_k_u is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 21:01   #788
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

My 2009 Safari EX 4x4 is just about completing 6 years now. While the stock Bridgestone Duelers are doing their job diligently (have not had a single puncture so far), the wear is even, and tread still has life, I am apprehensive about the age factor. How do I check if the time has indeed come to change the footwear for my truck?

Thanks in advance...
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 19:35   #789
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hey guys,

my Safari has been running on the stock tires, its been 6 years as of now and the tires do show wear and are hard so I have decided to change the same.

First of all can I go for 245/70 instead of the standard 235/70 without them touching the wheel wells or causing any problem(using stock alloys)?

And if yes which do I go for among these:
Apollo - Hawkz A/T - 245/70 R16 (111 S) - Tubeless
MRF - ZVRL - 245/70 R16 (111 S) - Tubeless

Is it worth buying on Snapdeal?
Old 4th June 2015, 20:44   #790
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hey guys,

my Safari has been running on the stock tires, its been 6 years as of now and the tires do show wear and are hard so I have decided to change the same.

First of all can I go for 245/70 instead of the standard 235/70 without them touching the wheel wells or causing any problem(using stock alloys)?

And if yes which do I go for among these:
Apollo - Hawkz A/T - 245/70 R16 (111 S) - Tubeless
MRF - ZVRL - 245/70 R16 (111 S) - Tubeless

Is it worth buying on Snapdeal?
245/70 would fit stock alloys. Slight scraping while turning may need to be adjusted for.

There will be speedo error.

Tubeless is a given.

I believe that compared to these options the Yoko Geolanders, BStone duellers and Michelin cross latitude all are better. Get them in 235 or 245 whichever is available.

Last edited by ACM : 4th June 2015 at 20:46.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 23:54   #791
BHPian

245/70 will work just fine with very minor adjustment. Speedo error hardly noticeable but will be there as ACM mentioned. Have heard decent reviews of Apollo Hawkz AT. I use Michellin Cross Latitude's and can vouch for their performance.
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 12:24   #792
BHPian

Hi! I am getting to the point where I will have to look at changing my stock Bridgestone Duellers on my Storme. Presently, the car has clocked 52500km and there is some amount of tread left (maybe another 5000km or so).
I am looking at upgrading to 255/65 R16 AT as many in our groups here have done. If not, I will stick to 235/70 R16, but AT.
It would be great if the stalwarts here who have gone through this process can suggest a few good brands that I can then start researching on. I live in NCR and will most probably look at getting the tyres from Karol Bagh or some such bulk dealership place.
Thanks in advance!
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 16:19   #793
BHPian

Hi. I had changed the stock tires to Micheline AT2. And they worked very very well- real awesome tires. Then a little less than two years back when i went to replace them the Micheline's were not available. So I decided to go in for Yokohalma Geolanders. I have not had very good experience with these though I have made two trips to Spiti Valley and one to Leh with no problems as such. Had a burst out on returning from the valley two weeks back- though I don't think it was the problem with the tyre. Waiting till Diwali to switch over back to Mecheline,s though there is plenty of tread in these still remaining. Also I must mention that just prior to one of these trips the rear tyre developed a surface crack and though I had long discussions with the company nothing was done. They kept insisting that it was a cut from a sharp object which according to me it just did not appear. It was not deep and the cords were not exposed so i presumed it was a surface issue only. They did promise to send some person from the company to check but in vain. These tires are made in Japan. So much so for the company support.
As far as the ride quality goes the Micheline's are incomparable. Just waiting to upgrade mine.
Ravi Kashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 09:59   #794
BHPian

Hi ALL,

Didn't knew this thread existed. How can I even think so. Posted this query in Safari technical thread.

Will post it here again.

Looking to replace my stock tyres as four of them are at end of life. Need to replace them on priority. Ride quality has deteriorated significantly after 50K KMs of running. My odometer reads 62K KMs at this moment. Same case as of "sasi405". guess it is missed, hence bouncing he same topic.

What is the best upgrade 255/65 or 245/70? No change in diameter, they will be 16inch. can the 255 or 245 fit on the stck rim of 235 or do I need to change the rim as well.
Please suggest. I am also confused over brand. Should I stick to Bridgestone if they have the 255s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

245/70 would fit stock alloys. Slight scraping while turning may need to be adjusted for.
There will be speedo error.
Please can you explain what error will arise due to this?

Another naïve question: What do you do of the old tires?

Thanks
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 20th September 2015 at 10:17.
Old 28th September 2015, 14:46   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Hi ALL,

Didn't knew this thread existed. How can I even think so. Posted this query in Safari technical thread.

Will post it here again.

Looking to replace my stock tyres as four of them are at end of life. Need to replace them on priority. Ride quality has deteriorated significantly after 50K KMs of running. My odometer reads 62K KMs at this moment. Same case as of "sasi405". guess it is missed, hence bouncing he same topic.

What is the best upgrade 255/65 or 245/70? No change in diameter, they will be 16inch. can the 255 or 245 fit on the stck rim of 235 or do I need to change the rim as well.
Please suggest. I am also confused over brand. Should I stick to Bridgestone if they have the 255s.

Please can you explain what error will arise due to this?

Another naïve question: What do you do of the old tires?

Thanks
Saurabh
Saurabh, I have been doing quite a bit of research on this topic since the past few weeks. My conclusions are as follows:
  1. The next 50K km or so is when we can use our vehicles extensively in all kinds of terrain. This is because the first 50k km was spent driving relatively carefully (new car syndrome) and post 1L km, we might either sell our vehicle off or it may become a little old to do experimental drives.
  2. Therefore, we should change to good A/T tyres that have a reputation for being relatively smooth and noise free on highways and with good enough traction on off road trails (not really off-the-road, which anyway the vehicle can't go). This is to truly realize the potential that our vehicle holds.
  3. Good looking tread patterns are a must for vehicles like the Safari, to give that rugged and aggressive looks. However, some of the tread patterns tend to create more road noise. While we should look for a tyre that 'looks like' A/T, it is not necessary that it should have solid lugs / teeth on the sides. A fair compromise between aggressive looks and practicality is what we should look for.
  4. There are two broad categories of tyres available today, 1) Imported and 2) Indian.
  5. Some of the imported tyre brands have been in use for a while (Yokohama, Michelin etc). Some of them are relatively new (Continental, Falken etc.)
  6. Indian tyres are reputed to be hard wearing, but there are inconsistencies in manufacturing. For example, MRF Wanderers are known to have weight distribution problems.
  7. Imported tyres such as Falken have a no-questions-asked replacement warranty, while some others don't even have service / warranty support (eg. Maxxis).
  8. Prices of Indian tyres (except Good Year) are at about 1000/- less than any of the imported tyres.
  9. Though 255/65 R16 is the maximum logical upsize for the Safari, there is a feedback that it is best not to upsize because the Safari suspension is prone to losing it's adjustments. Even in my Storme, though it is a completely different setup from the Dicor, the front wheels tend to go out of alignment (mostly toe-in) quite fast and with an upsized tyre, the problem may just increase.
  10. In case you want to upgrade, 245/70 R16 seems to be the better size. However, there are only the Apollo Hawkz and Good Year Wrangler A/T that are available in this size.
Looking at all the above parameters, I have narrowed down to two brands. 1) Michelin LTX A/T2 in 235/70 R16. This tyre has a relatively sane looking tread pattern (not very exciting), but all fellow users swear by the driveability of this tyre in terms of highway use, braking and tackling moderate trails (and basic snow). I am not sure how it will enhance the looks of your vehicle.
2) Continental Cross Contact A/T 235/70 R16. This tyre has a very aggressive looking tread pattern and is probably better at tackling hard core trails. However, there is a feedback that it is a little hard and is not all that great when it comes to high speed braking. However, it has a deeper tread than others and will increase the ride height of your vehicle by a few mm

Hope to get everything sorted out in the next month. I still have 5-6K km left in my stock BS Duellers. I doubt if I will get any resale value from them. However, my spare is completely unused and I might trade that in and adjust the cost against the new ones. That should save me some good money and allow me to get either the Michelins or the Contis within the Indian tyre budget.
sasi405 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks