Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2014, 10:41   #766
BHPian

Re: Query: Best all-terrain tyres for Safari Storme

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Isn't the Bridgestone Dueler D689 the same as the stock tyre that comes with the Safari/Storme?

Cheers,
Vikram
Vikram, I honestly have no idea. I am yet to visit a tyre shop. I shall check it out. I am a little inclined towards Yoko at the moment
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 11:11   #767
Team-BHP Support

Ha ha Partha, this thread was due for sometime specially after the last weekend slush driving

Do you get Michelin LTX AT in this size? I would highly recommend this tyre. I have been using it for the last 8000 Kms and pretty satisfied with it.
Continental Cross Contact could be another option as well.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 11:22   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Ha ha Partha, this thread was due for sometime specially after the last weekend slush driving

Do you get Michelin LTX AT in this size? I would highly recommend this tyre. I have been using it for the last 8000 Kms and pretty satisfied with it.
Continental Cross Contact could be another option as well.
I checked online on Michelin's website and the only AT option they are showing in this size is Latitude Cross which, as per some Gurus on T-BHP and other forums, is not very useful as an AT and rather should be considered as a HT.

I am going to the dealership today to check out various options (LTX, Geo, Lat Cross) and viability of trading in the stock tyres. I shall let you know my finding and may need some more advice from you after the visit
Old 18th September 2014, 14:21   #769
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Big to the Michelin LTX AT, I've had a fabulous experience with them.

I see the tyres on Michelin's India website as well as Snapdeal.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 12:56   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
My friend wants to upsize his Storme tyres. They are 235/70/R16. What should he go for. I am convinced of 255/55/R17. Should he change his rims too. Basically, he is looking at aesthetics or lack of it. He wants his truck to look like one of those monster trucks. Any help
If your friend will use 255/55/R17 tyre it will look smaller, the tyre diameter will be reduced to 28 inches from 29 ! Instead of that he should use 235/60/R18 which is being used for safari storme ladakh. The tyre diameter will remain the same 29 inches and off roading capability will be improved.
koushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 21:34   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
My friend wants to upsize his Storme tyres. They are 235/70/R16. What should he go for. I am convinced of 255/55/R17. Should he change his rims too. Basically, he is looking at aesthetics or lack of it. He wants his truck to look like one of those monster trucks. Any help
Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
If your friend will use 255/55/R17 tyre it will look smaller, the tyre diameter will be reduced to 28 inches from 29 ! Instead of that he should use 235/60/R18 which is being used for safari storme ladakh. The tyre diameter will remain the same 29 inches and off roading capability will be improved.
subraiyr,
I second koushik, it makes no sense to undersize tyres, especially on an SUV! With the kind of fender space the Safari has, you could easily get away with 265/65R17 which is the standard size for the Fortuner.
Old 21st September 2014, 01:33   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
subraiyr,
I second koushik, it makes no sense to undersize tyres, especially on an SUV! With the kind of fender space the Safari has, you could easily get away with 265/65R17 which is the standard size for the Fortuner.
Tyre size 265/65R17 is OK for fortuner. It can not be used for Safari simply for the reason that the tyre diameter will be increased to 30.6" from 29 inches. The speedometer will not show actual speed and gear output will also be changed.
koushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 07:31   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
Tyre size 265/65R17 is OK for fortuner. It can not be used for Safari simply for the reason that the tyre diameter will be increased to 30.6" from 29 inches. The speedometer will not show actual speed and gear output will also be changed.
koushik,
The whole idea is to increase the diameter, it is an SUV after all.
If you check the speedometer calibration for any car anywhere in the world you will find it over-reporting the speed. In India, the most notorious for this are Hyundais and Tatas. After such an oversize, the speedometer might under-report the speed by 1% or so in the worst case.
Also, when you look at a Safari, the track seems unsually small and the tyres look tucked-in to the car. With 265 width tyres and the correct offset wheels required to accommodate this solution, that will change as well. If it is truly a 'Monster Safarai' subraiyr is seeking. This is the ultimate answer.

Being a subject in its own right, do have a look at the topic I've started and let me have your opinion:

OVERSIZED Tyres

Last edited by bharatsomany : 21st September 2014 at 07:45.
bharatsomany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:14   #774
BHPian

Thanks guys. I will watch this space closely. I am quite convinced by what Bharatsomany states about the speedometer caliberation. The idea is not to get a truly monster vehicle, but a beefier looking tyres which will support the vehicle in terms of performance, but at the same time, the tyres would fill the fender space and also protrude out to provide a better look.

I did see an Endevour recently and the person had made it into a monster truck along with really Upsized tyres as well as lifted up chasis. My friend is not looking at that. I feel this will create imbalance within the vehicle as the COG is already quite high in the Storme.
Old 24th September 2014, 18:07   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big to the Michelin LTX AT, I've had a fabulous experience with them.

I see the tyres on Michelin's India website as well as Snapdeal.
Something isn't alright - Apollo Hawkz is quite identical to Michelin
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/apol...umbLabelId:335
Old 24th November 2014, 14:04   #776
Senior - BHPian

Fellow Safari Owner Friends - Need help.

My T-Saf is touching the 60K Mark. The tyres need a change is what I think. Besides, what I am a little puzzled is that the right rear tyres seem more worn out than the rest.

I am thinking of the regular Bridgestone itself, the ones that came as OEM. Any other suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if I will keep this car beyond one more year, so don't want to spend anything fancy on the tyres, though I know my car is going to be lasting super good and super smooth for several more miles for sure.

Regards,
KJ
Old 24th November 2014, 16:13   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post

I am not sure if I will keep this car beyond one more year, so don't want to spend anything fancy on the tyres
For the same reason I bought MRF Wanderer's for my Safari last week. They are quiet cheaper than others and I am happy with it driving in city limits so far.
In city limits, I did not feel any big difference in handling compared to the OEM BS except for a slightly tight steering wheel. But i am used to it now.
I am driving to Coimbatore coming weekend and could update on its highway performance post that.
Loved the MRF tread patterns than BS.
BulZire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 00:20   #778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Fellow Safari Owner Friends - Need help.

My T-Saf is touching the 60K Mark. The tyres need a change is what I think. Besides, what I am a little puzzled is that the right rear tyres seem more worn out than the rest.

I am thinking of the regular Bridgestone itself, the ones that came as OEM. Any other suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if I will keep this car beyond one more year, so don't want to spend anything fancy on the tyres, though I know my car is going to be lasting super good and super smooth for several more miles for sure.

Regards,
KJ
As Bulzire said, you cant go wrong with the MRF Wanderers. Otherwise, stick to the Bridgestones. Solid, reliable tyres.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 07:45   #779
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Nikhil and Bul. I'll be back at Bangalore the next weekend and plan to get this done. I haven't checked on the costs etc..but will do some research on that. I don't want to be doing such long distances on the old shoes any longer.
Old 28th November 2014, 18:06   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
As Bulzire said, you cant go wrong with the MRF Wanderers. Otherwise, stick to the Bridgestones. Solid, reliable tyres.
And for your additional information, I bought the tyres and did balancing/alignment in Madhus only . I came in the late evening and you were not around.

Last edited by BulZire : 28th November 2014 at 18:07.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks