Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2015, 10:48   #796
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Finally finished this long pending task today. Went for Wanderer AT @ 6500/-+ balancing, alignment extra. Three old tyres went for just 500/-. which went in balancing. They were really in poor condition, due to poor rotation. One of them was reasonably okay. No dealer was willing to exchange spare BS dueller, they said, you use it, but don't keep it as spare. Had no choice, but to put it in use. Wt. used was 140, 105, 80 & 75 gms for 4 tyres (including my BS one). For alignment I am giving it to my regular TASS tomorrow morning that will also include break pad change as well.

Last 2-3 days, I searched a lot about tyres in Lucknow. One fellow was even willing to give Wanderer AT in 5800/- each . he was the lone one who even offered to give 5000/- for my 5 yrs old BS spare tyre!!. All others quoted 6500-6600/-. I didn't go to him as fraudulent cases of spurious tyres are commonly heard at such places. This shop I went for is an exclusive MRF dealer, relatively newly established in outskirts of the city (not in the popular hub of tyre shops where all sorts of tyre activities go on), very near to my office and home, has a very impressive new well equipped set-up for all tyre-related jobs including nitrogen filling. Tyre is 2514 manufactured.

This time, I am not going to repeat the mistake I did last time. Will follow proper rotation and other aspects of tyre care. Infact, I wasn't un-happy with BS tyres as even after such poor care by me they lasted 67.5K kms...had I gone by book in tyre care and also the fact that in earlier yrs my driving was also little harsh for tyres, otherwise, they could have easily gone for 75K kms, I guess!

For feedback on wanderers, you would have to wait. I'll certainly update when enough experience is gathered as these days, it is only city driving.

Thanks all for taking your time in answering my queries.
Hello Team,

As promised, I am back again
1. Feed back on MRF Wanderers AT: I am satisfied for the price paid, they can't be compared with the likes of Mitchelins or Yokos, but noise level is bearable for me, handling good ride quality average.
2. In this one year since my tyre change, as I wrote earlier, Safari did just 7.5K kms, mostly in cities with just one home town run within UP only. Now, I changed the 4th tyre too, to Wanderer replacing the new (but old spare stock BS dueler).
3. Now when rotated, reversed (inside-out) and went for alignment, tyre people (MRF exclusive showroom) told that your 'camper is out' and that's the reason for uneven wear-tear of tyres (inner 1/4th of tyre is getting more wear & tear then rest of the portion!!). The difference is visible in these 7.5k kms run.
They told, you need to resolve this problem 1st then only alignment will be proper!!.

The problem is genuine and I need to find out a solution for it with help and education from you all. Plz. suggest what could be the actual problem and which solution to choose:

1. Going for some outside mechanic (other then the TASS) and get some quick fix done!!.. Will it be reliable and enduring?..
2. Go for TASS tell exactly this uneven tyre eating problem, get it thoroughly checked, and change whatever parts (possible lists plz??) they may diagnose to be worn out?
3. Any other relevant observation.

Thanks in advance
Old 25th November 2015, 12:28   #797
Senior - BHPian

Got the tyres of my Safari changed. Went once again for Michelin's. Got a sweet deal of INR 6,100 per tyre due to corporate discount.

Old 4 tyres were taken back at INR 500; even that is a bargain taking into consideration how old and the condition they are in.

Details and photos @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3854587
Old 2nd December 2015, 23:43   #798
Senior - BHPian

From reading the entire thread, I see the following brands used most of the time:
1. Yokohama Geolander AT
2. Michelin LTX
3. BF Goodrich
4. Continental
5. MRF Wanderer
6. Apollo Hawkz
7. Bridgestone Dueller
8. JK Elanzo
and may be 1 or 2 other brands. The last four not even being proper off-road tyres. Why is there such limited choice in India?
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:01   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Saurabh, I have been doing quite a bit of research on this topic since the past few weeks. My conclusions are as follows:..... That should save me some good money and allow me to get either the Michelins or the Contis within the Indian tyre budget.
Hello Sasi405,

Many Thanks for this wonderfull write-up of your findings.

I am done with my tyre change on 18th Feb. I hope you are done with your tyre changes as well. I was confused till the last moment when standing at the showroom to get my tyres changed to go for which brand.

My initial choice was to upgrade to 245/70- R16. Found few dealers who had that avaialble for Bridgestone as well. However price was 9400/- Per tyre. AS all my tyres were "passed their expiry", had to go for all five if i stuck to 245. My wallet started screaming & yes, Vitamin M did played some (read significant) role as well.
Saw Continental as well, very aggressive & thread depth almost double the depth of New duellers. However that didn't cought my eyes to go for them. Price quoted for them was 8000/- per tyre. That was a turn away as well.

Finally after thinking for half an hour, (while my freind got his Punto's tyre upgraded to 15 Inch Alloys - Conti Contact 195/60 R15). I decided to stick to the stock BS Duellers (235/70 R16). No UPGRADE at all. Simply couldn't get those existing Duellers of my head. My stint with stock duellers was far more satisfying. On top of it they are way cheaper than others (6400 Per tyre) & changed only four. Retained one old tyre (Best of the lot).

As you mentioned in your Starting address, I have gone the other way. I have done whatever offroading (I could handle), in between 20K to 50K range. The BS Duellers performed well during all my adventures or Mis-adventures.
Now, with My daughter being 2.5 Years old, I am sticking to Highway travels. She says she wants to travel in "Badi waali gaadi" when going for long trips. She is OK with my Esteem if visiting the local areas.

Many thanks for your inputs on my query, & apologies couldn't take your advice due to many derivatives.

Warm Regards,
Saurabh
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:49   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
From reading the entire thread, I see the following brands used most of the time:
1. Yokohama Geolander AT
2. Michelin LTX
3. BF Goodrich
4. Continental
5. MRF Wanderer
6. Apollo Hawkz
7. Bridgestone Dueller
8. JK Elanzo
and may be 1 or 2 other brands. The last four not even being proper off-road tyres. Why is there such limited choice in India?
Pedro, I finally changed my tyres on the 22nd of December. I have put in Maxxis Bravo A/T 255/65/R16. Got them for a good deal here in Delhi and have now driven about 4000km after that, including a trip up to Jalori Pass area in Himachal (slush, very rough roads and a bit of snow). I am quite satisfied with the performance of the tyres. Cornering grip is excellent but braking grip is a little patchy (however, I also attribute it to an imminent brake pad change that's due). Also road noise is a tad higher than the Bridgetsone Dueller H/Ts.
Here in NCR, we have quite a few SOUL members who are using Maxxis and everyone is happy with them. So I guess we can add Maxxis to the list as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Hello Sasi405,

Many Thanks for this wonderfull write-up of your findings.

Many thanks for your inputs on my query, & apologies couldn't take your advice due to many derivatives.

Warm Regards,
Saurabh
Saurabh, it is my pleasure to share whatever info I have got. After all, that's what forums like these are for. In the meanwhile, as mentioned, I have changed my tyres to Maxxis. My logic for going for Maxxis instead of Michelin LTX AT2 or Continental Cross Contact AT, despite my apprehensions, are basically to do with my running. I run close to 35000km a year and considering that I would like to change my tyres every 60k km or so, it means I will have to change tyres every two years. With the Michelins / Contis, I would have spent close to 35K for a set of 4 tyres. Since the Maxxis cost me about 22K for 4 tyres, I save about 12K. In addition to the savings, I also get a wider tyre, that too A/T. The savings can go directly towards lowering my fuel bills .
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 14:42   #801
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am planning to change the OE Bridgestone Dueler H/T tires on my 2009 Safari EX 4x4 later this year, to coincide with completion of 7 years of wonderful ownership of my truck! After poring over this thread multiple times and talking to a few tire dealers, here is my shortlist, in the order of preference:
  1. Michelin LTX AT2 - believed to be the 'softest' of the lot. Provides impeccable ride comfort and low road noise, albeit at the cost of being vulnerable to cuts / damage on rough trails. Best quote I have got so far is Rs. 8,000 per tire.
  2. Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S - tried and tested by me on my Classic for 7+ years. Awesome performance on rough trails but cannot comment on on-road comfort as I was riding on leaf springs Best quote so far is Rs. 7,500 per tire.
  3. Continental Crosscontact A/T - believed to be the 'hardest' of the lot, thereby providing excellent durability and off-road grip, albeit at the cost of ride comfort and road noise. Also, tread looks best of the lot. Best quote so far is Rs. 8,000 per tire.
Now coming to the factors which led me to the priority order above:

- I intend to keep the Safari for another 5 years, if not more. So do not want to short change the upgrade.
- My current usage is mostly (95%) highway driving with occasional soft-roading in the Western Ghats. No Ladakh / Spiti trip lined up thus far but might come up in the near future - not sure. Given that mine is a 4x4, occasional off-roading (not recreational but situational) is not ruled out.

Net-net, I have almost set my mind of the Michelins but wanted to solicit thoughts from the experts here, in case I am missing anything.

Also, my current spare tire is practically unused, since I have not had it participate in the tire-rotation ritual. I am toying with the idea of retaining it as the spare - thereby going in only for 4 new tires - and use it for emergency purposes only. Needless to say, if I do so, only the 4 new tires will participate in the rotation ritual. Any flipside of this approach?

best regrards and thanks in advance for your inputs...
Old 29th August 2016, 10:27   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

Also, my current spare tire is practically unused, since I have not had it participate in the tire-rotation ritual. I am toying with the idea of retaining it as the spare - thereby going in only for 4 new tires - and use it for emergency purposes only. Needless to say, if I do so, only the 4 new tires will participate in the rotation ritual. Any flipside of this approach?

best regrards and thanks in advance for your inputs...
Hello cool dube. You can even consider MRF Wanderer A/T. My vehicle had clocked 36K km till date and the tyres are very good. They improved braking to a great extent. Very good for mild off roading too. The side walls are strong too.

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please quote only the relevant portion of the post you wish to reply to. Avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small-screen / mobile users. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th August 2016 at 10:40.
Ani0404 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 13:59   #803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I have almost set my mind of the Michelins...
On my second set of Michelins and they have never been found wanting in any situation, either on road, water or during the small off road session I do. My vote for this one.

Quote:
... Needless to say, if I do so, only the 4 new tires will participate in the rotation ritual. Any flipside of this approach?...
I would suggest that you do not use the old spare wheel. If it was used, it would have been a different story. But, since it is unused, you cannot predict how it will behave under load. Bursting is a concern.

My advice - do ditch that old spare and use one of the "best" old wheel as the spare.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 13:59   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Pedro, I finally changed my tyres on the 22nd of December. I have put in Maxxis Bravo A/T 255/65/R16.
May I request you to put up some pictures of the car with the new tires. Want to see the difference they make to looks of the car. One picture each from the front, side and rear of the car with tires visible.

A picture of the tread pattern to go along with these would be great. Hope I'm not asking too much. I may want to upgrade after looking at the pics. Also, do the wider tires rub against wheel well at full lock? Are they on stock wheels or did you need to upgrade wheels too?

Last edited by black_rider : 29th August 2016 at 14:02. Reason: Lots n lots of questions.
Old 29th August 2016, 14:47   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
On my second set of Michelins and they have never been found wanting in any situation, either on road, water or during the small off road session I do. My vote for this one.
Thanks HW. How many kms did your first set of Michelin last, if I may ask? Being softer, they wear out quite fast is what I have been hearing. Also, any comments on ride quality, road noise, etc?

Quote:
My advice - do ditch that old spare and use one of the "best" old wheel as the spare.
Valid point. Thanks for the tip
Old 29th August 2016, 16:02   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
May I request you to put up some pictures of the car with the new tires. Want to see the difference they make to looks of the car. One picture each from the front, side and rear of the car with tires visible.

A picture of the tread pattern to go along with these would be great. Hope I'm not asking too much. I may want to upgrade after looking at the pics. Also, do the wider tires rub against wheel well at full lock? Are they on stock wheels or did you need to upgrade wheels too?
I will upload the pictures tomorrow. The tyres have already done about 18K km since I changed them in December, so they are not in absolute fresh form.

Wheels are stock and therefore there is no real offset. However, this has not affected the turning in any way and the tyres don't rub against anything. It all works absolutely the way it should. As far as width of the tyres are concerned, they are definitely wider than the 235s, but only marginally so. They give the vehicle a slightly stockier look, but nothing to make them look fat or sticking out. The only drawback I have been facing is mud getting thrown onto the body (especially the rear view mirrors) much more than with the 235s. Well, that's not really such a bad thing in an SUV, right?
Old 29th August 2016, 17:18   #807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks HW. How many kms did your first set of Michelin last, if I may ask? Being softer, they wear out quite fast is what I have been hearing. Also, any comments on ride quality, road noise, etc?...
I got 80,000 kms from the first set.

Here is my post on the change:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3854587

80k kms if not a low distance.

No complaints on the ride quality or any road noise. Touch wood, all good so far.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 12:53   #808
BHPian

Here are the pictures of my Storme with the Maxxis Bravo 771 A/T 255/65/R16. As you can see, the tyres don't stick out the sides much. Rather, they give a more stocky look to the vehicle without being over the top. I like it like this. Also, you can see the tread wear after 18K kms, to give you an idea. I do balancing, alignment and rotation of tyres every 5000 km.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wp_20160830_09_42_44_pro.jpg  

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wp_20160830_09_42_53_pro.jpg  

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wp_20160830_09_43_31_pro.jpg  

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wp_20160830_09_43_59_pro.jpg  

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wp_20160830_09_46_35_pro.jpg  

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wp_20160830_09_47_07_pro.jpg  

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wp_20160830_09_49_45_pro.jpg  

Old 30th August 2016, 13:26   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Here are the pictures of my Storme with the Maxxis Bravo 771 A/T 255/65/R16. As you can see, the tyres don't stick out the sides much. Rather, they give a more stocky look to the vehicle without being over the top.
As far as I know, the major difference between 235/75 and 255/65 is that the tyre width will be more and the percentage of sidewall wil be less ie., Surface contact width of tyre will be more and the height of the tyre wen seen from side will be little less in the case of 255/65? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Ani0404 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 18:42   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got 80,000 kms from the first set.
No complaints on the ride quality or any road noise. Touch wood, all good so far.
Excellent. I have locked down on Michelin LTX AT2 235/70/R16
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks