Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2023, 13:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hey everyone, I am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of choices and information available online. Thought I'd ask for the learned folks on the forum to reccomend.

I was wondering if it is imperative to change the stock tires? Usage will be 99.5% on urban tarmac and want to have best comfort, safety. I might take it offroading sometimes but thats only a secondary use case. Primarily car is for wifey so don't want anything that will be an issue (road noise etc).

Do let me know which one I should upgrade to, or if upgrade is not needed.
Old 11th June 2023, 09:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Usage will be 99.5% on urban tarmac and want to have best comfort, safety.
Firstly, congratulations on the new ride.

Now, does that 0.5% include treacherous off-road trails? If so, you might need a good AT Tyre. But if you only need to apprehend short un-intimidating stretches, the stock Bridgestones should be fine. I would recommend trying the stock ones for a few days on the intended roads (even if it means you lose a bit of the buy back value).

Moreover, I don't think All terrains will match the comfort of those highway oriented stock tyres. I'm sure Suzuki had valid reasons to down size the tyre from the previous generation Jimny. As long as you or your missus don't go too fast, and with the onboard ABS & EBD, safety shouldn't be compromised.

Happy driving
aravind422 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 03:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi there. I have booked my Jimny in Alpha AT trim in Black.

Can someone definitely tell me if the 215/75 R15 BF Goodrich K02 are a direct fit on the stock rim ?

What is the stock rim width ? Will there be any buldge ?

I would ideally want a straight sidewall.

My Research:
From my limited research I found out that the stock size is 5.5Jx15 ET5 is the OE size.

And it looks like 215/75 R15 would sit on a 5.5J rim with an offset change to ET3.

Link : https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=50mm&sr=0mm

Last edited by arjunrudra : 15th June 2023 at 04:09.
arjunrudra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 07:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Hi there. I have booked my Jimny in Alpha AT trim in Black.

Can someone definitely tell me if the 215/75 R15 BF Goodrich K02 are a direct fit on the stock rim ?

What is the stock rim width ? Will there be any buldge ?

I would ideally want a straight sidewall.

My Research:
From my limited research I found out that the stock size is 5.5Jx15 ET5 is the OE size.

And it looks like 215/75 R15 would sit on a 5.5J rim with an offset change to ET3.

Link : https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=50mm&sr=0mm
First of all, congratulations on the new vehicle!

You seem to have found the correct specs of the stock wheel.
Here's the snip from the owners' manual of the 2023 Jimny. Unfortunately, it does not specify the offset here.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wheel.jpg

You should be absolutely fine with this tire size. 215/75R15 tire size can be accommodated on any wheel from 5.5J to 7J width without any bulge.

Incidentally, the rolling diameter of this tire size is almost identical (+1.5%) to that of the stock tire.

There wouldn't be any offset change if you're using the stock wheels.

Please note that BFG KO2 has got a higher lead index therefore at 32lbs will be substantially heavier than whatever HT tire Jimny is being shipped with.

Bottomline, BFG KO2 is a vastly superior tire, and whatever little penalty you'll have to pay by way of a bit of reduced mileage or sluggishness is well worth it.
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 10:10   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind422 View Post
To those looking forward to a tyre upgrade but wondering how the tyre size of their choice will affect the dynamics of the vehicle, take a look at this list made specifically for the Jimny (or any vehicle with a stock tyre size of 195/80R15 for that matter). The list is only for 15inch tyres..
Cardinal rule if you are upgrading on stock power, never ever go beyond 3% variation from stock OR be ready to face the wrath of loss of power. Another important factor to keep in mind is weight of the upgraded tyres, most of the Offroad oriented tyres would be heavy. This will have adverse effect on braking, same with while moving from an alloy to an Offroad steel disc, latter would be seriously heavy. Looks does matter but do keep these fine nuances in mind before go running and spending your moolah
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 10:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
First of all, congratulations on the new vehicle!

You seem to have found the correct specs of the stock wheel.
Here's the snip from the owners' manual of the 2023 Jimny. Unfortunately, it does not specify the offset here.

Attachment 2464203

You should be absolutely fine with this tire size. 215/75R15 tire size can be accommodated on any wheel from 5.5J to 7J width without any bulge.

Incidentally, the rolling diameter of this tire size is almost identical (+1.5%) to that of the stock tire.

There wouldn't be any offset change if you're using the stock wheels.

Please note that BFG KO2 has got a higher lead index therefore at 32lbs will be substantially heavier than whatever HT tire Jimny is being shipped with.

Bottomline, BFG KO2 is a vastly superior tire, and whatever little penalty you'll have to pay by way of a bit of reduced mileage or sluggishness is well worth it.
Yes, only 2 things im concerned off.

1. The stock tyre approximately weighs 12 kgs (195/80R15) approximately. the K02's weigh approximately 15.6 kgs (215/75R15). Thats 3.6 kgs of very heavy unsprung weight.

2. Also when I research online, it saus 195 mm is the widest fitting (safely ) for a 5.5J rim.

So still very confused.

Last edited by arjunrudra : 15th June 2023 at 10:54.
arjunrudra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 17:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-continentalcrosscontacttyresfb.jpeg

After consulting some friends with my particular use case have zeroed in on Continental CrossContact AX6 in 215/75-15 for the Jimny.

Have been quoted around 18-19k for the upgrade while giving my brand new stock tires as buyback. Even the shop keeper is confused and offered me other more 'off roady' tires. As everyone is wanted to go with more butch looking tires, and my main use case was comfort with some trail driving.

[EDIT] It's a shame that Michelin currently doesn't have any options available in India. I have Pilot Sport 4, Primacy 4, Pilot Super Sport on my other cars and am extremely happy with them.
quickdraw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 18:08   #23
BANNED

Showed up in my Instagram feed; would have looked sick with MT tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-ravityres_amritsar160620230001.jpg  

SNA411 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 18:51   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Attachment 2464937

After consulting some friends with my particular use case have zeroed in on Continental CrossContact AX6 in 215/75-15 for the Jimny.
Good choice and great price, they are decent but terrible on slipper stuff.. but since you are not planning for an Offroad vehicle, works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNA411 View Post
Showed up in my Instagram feed; would have looked sick with MT tyres.
And those Offroad steel rims! Would really like to know how the vehicle stops now with the additional unsprung weight. Am pretty sure it would be sad lol Good chance he/she would pop an axle with some good Offroad

Really don't understand why people get into modifications without understanding the basics of a vehicle.
Old 17th June 2023, 21:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Good choice and great price, they are decent but terrible on slipper stuff.. but since you are not planning for an Offroad vehicle, works well.
Do you have experience with the AX6? Good to hear as my usage will be mostly on road and some fun trail driving once in a while. No hardcore off-roading.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 03:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Yes, only 2 things im concerned off.

1. The stock tyre approximately weighs 12 kgs (195/80R15) approximately. the K02's weigh approximately 15.6 kgs (215/75R15). Thats 3.6 kgs of very heavy unsprung weight.

2. Also when I research online, it saus 195 mm is the widest fitting (safely ) for a 5.5J rim.

So still very confused.
In case weight is a concern, there will always be a penalty when you go from HT to an AT tire as AT tires have comparatively more robust construction and gain weight.

You can opt to go for the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 which is a good tire and is 2lb per tire lighter as compared to the BFG KO2. I have been using it on my 2016 Gypsy King in Himachal and I have yet to a have single puncture.

As for the rim width, I agree that the ideal rim width for the 5.5J rim is 205mm however in that case you may go for 205/70R15 size. Unfortunately, you will reduce your rolling diameter by 3.7% and sidewall height by 8.2% which is not recommended.

The best replacement would be 205/75R15 where the rolling diameter reduces by 0.7% and sidewall height remains the same but I'm not aware if you have any AT tire options available in that size in the Indian market.

I'm also curious to know, why you even want to change the stock tire in the first place. If you're very keen on transitioning to an AT tire you will have to compromise somewhat however if these changes are causing you anxiety then stay with the stock setup and breathe easy.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th June 2023 at 08:22. Reason: Geolander > Geolandar
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 10:38   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you have experience with the AX6?
Don't remember the exact model name, but a close buddy had Conti's with same design. Might be the earlier model if AX6 is a new launch, but have pics and thread design is exact same. Have driven the vehicle quiet a bit with these on road and off-road, it was previous gen Thar.
Old 19th June 2023, 13:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Don't remember the exact model name, but a close buddy had Conti's with same design. Might be the earlier model if AX6 is a new launch, but have pics and thread design is exact same. Have driven the vehicle quiet a bit with these on road and off-road, it was previous gen Thar.
Yes, AX6 is a new launch which is more road biased and has favourable characteristics like low road noise and good wet grip on tarmac.
quickdraw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 17:21   #29
BHPian

Based on this discussions here and with the tire person, I've zeroed in on Yokohama Geolandar A/T. They are costing me 18,500 for all 5, after buyback. Other than alignment anything in particular I should be looking out for? Eventually I also want to add a TPMS to it, but don't want to wait on it for tire replacement.
astrodex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 12:41   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, AX6 is a new launch which is more road biased and has favourable characteristics like low road noise and good wet grip on tarmac.
I checked some old pics, yes this is the updated version of the same tyre I was referring to. Like I said it is a great tyre for mostly on-road and with bit of mild off-roading. The new iteration should be definitely better. This and Geolander ATS would be the best option for a primarily road biased use with say 20% Offroad capabilities, Geolanders are little bit more of off-roading capabilities and slighter chunkier stance out of the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex View Post
I should be looking out for? Eventually I also want to add a TPMS to it, but don't want to wait on it for tire replacement.
Just see it is a new lot (within 6 months of date of manufacturing), you can add that sensory TPMS without a big hassle I guess.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th June 2023 at 12:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks